ADVERTISEMENT

***Nunge (MVP) & Brady WIN PTL Championship 96-92 in OT; Williams named Best Defender ***

Some nice coverage from the Quad Cities Times:

Newest Hawkeyes Nunge, Garza already proving they belong
OK, Iowa fans, just keep repeating this to yourself.

It’s only a summer league. It’s only a summer league.

You’ll need to do that to keep from building up unreasonable expectations for the two newest additions to the Hawkeye basketball program.

A few hundred fans crammed into Roberts Gym at the North Liberty Community Center on Sunday afternoon to watch the Hawkeyes’ 6-foot-10 bookend recruits, Luka Garza and Jack Nunge, go up against one another in the first round of games in the Prime Time Summer League.

A dozen Iowa players are competing in the league, but everyone knows what Nicholas Baer, Tyler Cook and Jordan Bohannon can do. This was everyone’s first glimpse of Garza and Nunge.

The fans didn’t walk away disappointed. It’s pretty obvious these two are going to help the Hawkeyes right away.

Maybe a lot.

Garza scored 41 points and grabbed 11 rebounds Sunday, making 18 of 26 shots from the field and the only two 3-point shots he attempted, and he seemed genuinely miffed that his Westport Touchless Autowash team didn’t win the game.

Nunge had 35 points and 13 rebounds in a 98-97 victory for the Vinton Merchants, making 15 of 23 field goals attempts and 2 of 6 shots from behind the 3-point arc.

Repeat after me: It’s only a summer league. It’s only a summer league.

But it was a pretty impressive show for a pair of kids who have been in town for about a week.

“They’re both great guys, a lot of fun to be with and they’re both super smart,’’ said Tyler Cook, who lit up the PTL last summer then went out and made the All-Big Ten freshman team last winter.

“They can score from anywhere on the floor, they’re unselfish, they run the floor. They’ve got college bodies already. I think their transition process will be a lot easier than ours was because of how prepared they already are.’’

Garza just graduated from the Maret School in Washington, D.C., last Monday and hopped on a plane later that day, arriving in Iowa City at about midnight and diving into summer classes at Iowa the following morning.

Nunge, who attended high school in Newburgh, Indiana, has been on campus only slightly longer. It helps that he lived in Iowa City as a kid.

“It feels like home,’’ Nunge said. “I know the area pretty well and I’m used to it.’’

In their first week on campus, they not only have been working out with their new teammates but also have had ample opportunities to go up against former Iowa stars such as Aaron White and Gabe Olaseni.

Garza said it already has helped him up his game.

“Everyone is pushing each other to get better,’’ he said. “The mindset of this team is unlike anything I’ve ever been around. It’s just awesome. I just want to soak up as much as I can.’’

Although Garza and Nunge both are 6-10 and very skilled for players that size, they’re not exactly the same kind of player.

Garza has a little more bulk and is more of a traditional back-to-basket center. Nunge handles the ball like a much smaller man and mentioned in conversations with reporters following the game that he feels capable of playing the shooting guard position.

But both can shoot from the outside, both can run, both will block their share of shots and both appear to have very good hands.

They seemed to really enjoy going up against one another on Day 1 of the PTL.

link to whole story: http://qctimes.com/sports/basketbal...cle_a1f8ba96-18ab-578f-a4f6-8e42de086d84.html

59472a0c92e12.image.jpg

Last edited:
Someone must have lit his fire over the offseason
Ryan had plenty of fire last year, and showed a willingness to take his shots within the offense. The Purdue game I believe we don't win without him. Again, Kreiner missed much of last years summer and pre season work, due to injury and sickness. He started well behind his classmates. He'll be a valuable piece of that frontcourt puzzle the next several years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mitjacks and Ronman
Tomorrow's games will not be live streamed-- ie, June 22 – 6 p.m. at SportsPlex, Waterloo

Sunday, June 25's games, however, will be – 3 p.m. at North Liberty Community Center

Thursday June 22

6:00 SportsPlex, Waterloo - 3 (Jo Bohannon/Kreiner) vs. 4 (Maishe Dailey/Garza)
6:00 SportsPlex, Waterloo - 1 (Tyler Cook/Dom Uhl) vs. 6 (Wagner/Williams)
7:30 SportsPlex, Waterloo - 2 (Baer/Moss) vs. 5 (Nunge/Ellingson)

Some interesting matchups tonight.

How will Kreiner do vs Garza? Dailey vs JoBo?

Baer vs Nunge should be good, too!

Who's going tonight?

Last edited:
Stats from the first two games tonight in Waterloo.

And since the poster who posts a lot of the links here seems to ignore what the folks on this site do, I usually live stream on both facebook and periscope on our Hawkeye Report pages for games in N. Liberty.

Reactions: DanL53
Stats from the first two games tonight in Waterloo.

And since the poster who posts a lot of the links here seems to ignore what the folks on this site do, I usually live stream on both facebook and periscope on our Hawkeye Report pages for games in N. Liberty.

i did not know you were live streaming until now. Thanks for letting us know!

I know you are friends with Doc so I surprised you are offended.

Also, Blair and you retweet stuff from the writers of the Hawkeye, HawkCentral, the Gazette, and the QC Times on Twitter; aren't more stories, more video, more everything, a good thing?

Last edited:
Note that Ellingson played half the time at point guard last night.

Ellingson said he focused on four elements of his game this offseason: mobility, strength, off-the-dribble offense and overall playmaking. The latter two were on display Thursday, when he spent about half the game at point guard.

His PTL team, Vinton Merchants, lost 130-92 to Nicholas Baer and Isaiah Moss’ buzzsaw of a team, Culver’s. But Ellingson’s numbers were solid: 15 points, six rebounds and six assists. His best shots came off the dribble — slipping past screens for mid-range jumpers and rising up for quick floaters in the lane. He went 3-for-5 on 2-pointers and 3-for-10 on 3-balls.

"He’s just a smart player," Bohannon said. "He’s not going to turn the ball over. He’s not going to rush or anything. He’s going to make the right read at the right time. And his defense is improving. He's one of the best defenders now on the team. He’s able to move laterally.

"You’re really going to be able to see that this season. That’s going to help him play a lot more this upcoming season."

Iowa's potential Nos. 1 and 2 point guards, Bohannon and Ellingson, will go head to head in the PTL June 29 in Waterloo.

Source: http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...success-hawkeyes-prime-time-league/420137001/

i did not know you were live streaming until now. Thanks for letting us know!

I know you are friends with Doc so I surprised you are offended.

Also, Blair and you retweet stuff from the writers of the Hawkeye, HawkCentral, the Gazette, and the QC Times on Twitter; aren't more stories, more video, more everything, a good thing?

Doc's a great friend and his work is never the issue. Would be nice if somehow the work of the people on the site you are posting on were included/promoted. You simply seem to go out of your way to ignore it (did periscope the last two years from PTL and doing both this year), which seems odd to me. I don't have anything against any of those folks. All good people who work just as hard as we do, which raises the question, why not include the work we do here in your posts? Do you have something against the Blair and I? You want to make it about us retweeting stuff and that's not the issue. Why ignore the work of the people on the site you are posting on? That is the issue here.

If you look at my twitter feed, along with Blair's, I'd bet if we are tweeting something out with a link to something, 95% of it is to our own work at Rivals. Meanwhile, 99% of the stuff you are posting on our site is from elsewhere, even when it is stuff we already have on our front page for free. All I ask is that you show a little more consideration for the work we do here if you are going to post links instead of simply promoting the work of others all the time. Frankly, that's not a huge ask.

Reactions: And1Hawk and DanL53
Doc's a great friend and his work is never the issue. Would be nice if somehow the work of the people on the site you are posting on were included/promoted. You simply seem to go out of your way to ignore it (did periscope the last two years from PTL and doing both this year), which seems odd to me. I don't have anything against any of those folks. All good people who work just as hard as we do, which raises the question, why not include the work we do here in your posts? Do you have something against the Blair and I? You want to make it about us retweeting stuff and that's not the issue. Why ignore the work of the people on the site you are posting on? That is the issue here.

If you look at my twitter feed, along with Blair's, I'd bet if we are tweeting something out with a link to something, 95% of it is to our own work at Rivals. Meanwhile, 99% of the stuff you are posting on our site is from elsewhere, even when it is stuff we already have on our front page for free. All I ask is that you show a little more consideration for the work we do here if you are going to post links instead of simply promoting the work of others all the time. Frankly, that's not a huge ask.

Hi, Tom.

Can you provide a link to your periscope? I have never used that platform and don't know much about it.

Also, if we go here (https://www.facebook.com/HawkeyeReport/) , will we be able to watch the games live?

I will send a personal note to your email account.

Thank you.

Games Sunday June 25

3:00 Jones gym (NL)

4 (Dailey / Garza) vs. 6 (Wagner / Williams)

3:00 Roberts gym (NL)

2 (Baer / Moss) vs. 3 (JoBo / Kreiner)

4:30 Roberts gym (NL)

1 (Tyler Cook/Dom Uhl) vs. 5 (Nunge / Ellingson)

Last edited:
Games Sunday June 25

3:00 Jones gym (NL)

4 (Dailey / Garza) vs. 6 (Wagner / Williams)

Wagner scores 24 and
Williams 12 in their 89-86 win over

Garza, who scored 20 and
Dailey,who scored 18

3:00 Roberts gym (NL)

2 (Baer / Moss) vs. 3 (JoBo / Kreiner)

Baer scores 23 and
Moss 29 in their 119-116 win over

JoBo, who scored 36 and
Kreiner, who scored 28

4:30 Roberts gym (NL)

1 (Tyler Cook/Dom Uhl) vs. 5 (Nunge / Ellingson)

Cook scores 15 and
Uhl scores 24 in their 113-111 OT win over

Nunge, who scored 40 and
Ellingson, who scored 30

Last edited:
Sounds like a flagrant 1 foul ;)
Man, we got some size this year. Bigs fighting for minutes is getting real. Good to see. Dom's hair looks great. Nunge, Garza, Kreiner looking good, and Moss ready to go. Everyone is saying how good Maishe is doing. Can't help but feel excited for this team and all our fans.

Man, we got some size this year. Bigs fighting for minutes is getting real. Good to see. Dom's hair looks great. Nunge, Garza, Kreiner looking good, and Moss ready to go. Everyone is saying how good Maishe is doing. Can't help but feel excited for this team and all our fans.

From the interview, Nunge has a sweet shot and is shooting NBA 3's

I love Kreiner's mid range game

Garza is a beast down low.

Cook is also a beast down low

Lots of options for Fran

I wonder if Uhl's and Wagner's role will be reduced. We thought that last year and Wagner ended up starting! LOL

Thanks for the video links to all of the above.

It seems that Christian has not improved, although he looks taller. Ball handling, floor vision and shooting still look weaker than almost every other player.
If Brady really does prove to be a point guard option Christian will be in a battle for minutes next season. Not a crazy idea moving CW from 1 to 2. His strengths, really good defense and athleticism, could make a quality contribution. His weaknesses could be minimized by getting the ball out of his hands. The lack of scoring could be minimized by playing him with Brady/Jordan/Baer so we always have other good shooters on the floor when CW is on the floor.

AW seems to have improved ball handling and shooting skills, although I've not looked at the stats to see if that's deceptive based on a small eyeball sample. Barring strange foul/injury/match up situations AW is more likely to get time at 3 than 5. He's very athletic and could guard smaller players. Again, though, small sample.

Garza is big with good hands and interior mobility. It looks like he's got a good touch around the basket. That could make for another high percentage inside scorer.

The kid started behind everyone due to illness or injury and gave the Hawks some very solid minutes and never embarrassed himself. So what in the hell kind of statement is that?
The post I quoted said "Krieger has improved his game". I was making a joke. Sorry to bother you

Games Thursday June 29

6:00 SportsPlex, Waterloo

1 (Tyler Cook/Dom Uhl) vs. 4 (Dailey / Garza)

6:00 SportsPlex, Waterloo

3 (JoBo / Kreiner) vs. 5 (Nunge / Ellingson)

7:30 SportsPlex, Waterloo

2 (Baer / Moss) vs. 6 (Wagner / Williams)

Im beginning to think I was wrong about potential redshirts....Ahmad Wagner please report to the football complex.

Right on RocknRoll! I have been saying this for two years. Sight unseen he'd be the best receiver on the football team. God I wish the kid loved football more than BBall cuz Hawks need is acute on the gridiron.

Reactions: RocknRollface
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT