ADVERTISEMENT

***Nunge (MVP) & Brady WIN PTL Championship 96-92 in OT; Williams named Best Defender ***

Per Mark Emmert: The Bohannon/Kriener team just won a game in which it had no coach. Bohannon played all 40 minutes

Last edited:
Per Mark Emmert: Actually, Bohannon said Jordan O'Neil is a player/coach. Bohannon says he knew he'd be playing all 40 coming in, helps keep him in shape

Last edited:
It was Kreiner vs Nunge tonight

Photo courtesy of Mark Emmert.

DDhiZkXU0AE5v6p.jpg

Last edited:
Per Mark Emmert: Bohannon working on his inside game this summer. He had a couple of post-up baskets. He believes that was a missing part of his game

Per Mark Emmert:

Garza had 36 and 10, as his team won big over Cook and Uhl. Cook and Uhl had 15 apiece.

Bohannon 29, Kriener 19 and 13 in their game vs Nunge, who had 23 and Ellingson 21.

When you look at tonight's match ups, it looks like Garza (36 pts) got the best of Uhl and Cook (just 15 pts each). I am looking forward to seeing the highlights.

As a reminder, here was tonight's match ups:

6:00 SportsPlex, Waterloo

1 (Tyler Cook/Dom Uhl) vs. 4 (Dailey / Garza)

6:00 SportsPlex, Waterloo

3 (JoBo / Kreiner) vs. 5 (Nunge / Ellingson)

7:30 SportsPlex, Waterloo

2 (Baer / Moss) vs. 6 (Wagner / Williams)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronman
Right on RocknRoll! I have been saying this for two years. Sight unseen he'd be the best receiver on the football team. God I wish the kid loved football more than BBall cuz Hawks need is acute on the gridiron.

It will be interesting to see if/how Wagner's minutes change. Fran loves his energy but I bet KF would, too ;)

Question for everyone: if Wagner worked at football full time, would he have a legit shot at the NFL?

It appears Mark Emmert was the only sports media person in W'loo tonight.

Per Mark:

PTL nightcap stats:
Wagner 32 and 10 (hit two 3-pointers)
Williams 21 and 8 (hit two 3-pointers)
Baer had 30 and 12

Dailey and Moss did not play tonight

Last edited:
So, in summary, per Mark Emmert:

Game 1

Garza had 36 and 10, as his team won big over Cook and Uhl. Cook and Uhl had 15 apiece.

Dailey (Garza's teammate) did not play tonight.

Game 2

Bohannon had 29 and Kriener 19 and 13 in their VICTORY vs Nunge (who had 23) and Ellingson (who had 21).

Game 3

Wagner had 32 and 10, Williams 21 and 8 (both hit two 3-pointers) in their game vs Baer, who had 30 and 12.

Moss (Baer's teammate) did not play tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawki1968
I don't think Tom Kakert was in W'loo since he posted a podcast from tonight.

That's why most of the info is coming from Mark Emmert/the Des Moines Register. He appears to be the only reporter covering tonight's action

Nunge and Garza are gonna be hard to keep off the floor.

So, in summary, per Mark Emmert:

Game 1

Dailey (Garza's teammate) did not play tonight.

Game 2

Bohannon had 29 and Kriener 19 and 13 in their game vs Nunge (who had 23) and Ellingson (who had 21).

Game 3

Wagner had 32 and 10, Williams 21 and 8 (both hit two 3-pointers) in their game vs Baer, who had 30 and 12.

Moss (Baer's teammate) did not play tonight.

Thank you for posting this info.

Reactions: Franisdaman
It will be interesting to see if/how Wagner's minutes change. Fran loves his energy but I bet KF would, too ;)

Question for everyone: if Wagner worked at football full time, would he have a legit shot at the NFL?

As a pass catcher, yes. I think he has a shot even without it. The college basketball player to tight end move is becoming more common every year.

Now getting on the field for Iowa is another animal. KF wants blockers that occasionally catch a pass.....at wide receiver, let alone tight end.

My quick observations:

Williams looks much improved over last year. Had a nice jump shot and great dribble penetration. I left impressed with him.

Wagner looked good down low, but not much hustle out of him. Usually last one down the court.

Baer was on fire from three. Great hustle with put backs and rebounds. One of my favorites to watch. Plus he helped in a basketball camp in Cedar Falls this week and was very friendly to all the kids. Took the time to take a picture with my son.

Garza is a beast! He took it to Cook the majority of the night. Garza dominated Cook until the very end when the game was pretty much over, Cook got some late minute points. Cook was not very aggressive down low and was doing a lot of passing.

Aj Green is going to be a star wherever he goes. Really wish Iowa had room for him or would at least offer. Green was the one player tonight that I did not see get tired. You can tell he has worked on his conditioning. Everyone was winded and he kept pushing without even breathing hard.

Uhl looked much improved as well. Very aggressive down low and was hitting some nice outside shots and three pointers. Great hustle out of him as well.

This team is going to be fun to watch over the next few years. Did I mention Garza is a beast? Wow he looked good!

Reactions: terrehawk
My quick observations:

Williams looks much improved over last year. Had a nice jump shot and great dribble penetration. I left impressed with him.

Wagner looked good down low, but not much hustle out of him. Usually last one down the court.

Baer was on fire from three. Great hustle with put backs and rebounds. One of my favorites to watch. Plus he helped in a basketball camp in Cedar Falls this week and was very friendly to all the kids. Took the time to take a picture with my son.

Garza is a beast! He took it to Cook the majority of the night. Garza dominated Cook until the very end when the game was pretty much over, Cook got some late minute points. Cook was not very aggressive down low and was doing a lot of passing.

Aj Green is going to be a star wherever he goes. Really wish Iowa had room for him or would at least offer. Green was the one player tonight that I did not see get tired. You can tell he has worked on his conditioning. Everyone was winded and he kept pushing without even breathing hard.

Uhl looked much improved as well. Very aggressive down low and was hitting some nice outside shots and three pointers. Great hustle out of him as well.

This team is going to be fun to watch over the next few years. Did I mention Garza is a beast? Wow he looked good!

Thank you for taking the time to post your observations

Reactions: Hawkman98
Kriener and JoBo are developing some great chemistry as PTL teammates.

They also are roommates off the court.

As you will read,

Bohannon is trying to score more from closer range, and he spent as much time driving to the hoop as he did spotting up from the arc while playing all 40 minutes in his team’s victory. Bohannon scored 29 points, making 5-of-11 from 3-point range and matching that with 5-of-11 shooting inside the arc.

Driving to the basket and improving his defense
are his main objectives this summer, the 6-foot Bohannon said. He figures that will open up his outside shooting even more, forcing defenders to play him more honestly, while also opening opportunities for assists to taller teammates like Kriener.

Kriener, meanwhile, is stretching himself by adding range to his shot. On Thursday, his first two attempts were 3-pointers. He made the second, and later showed off a hook shot he is working on.

Assistant coach Kirk Speraw is working with Kriener on his hook shot.
Kriener said it’s one way to take advantage of his high-jumping skills.

“I was a high jumper in high school so we can really utilize that and elevate over” defenders, said Kriener, who participated in both sports at Spirit Lake High School.

Those days are behind him now. Kriener has added 15 pounds this offseason, up to 252, knowing he needs more upper-body mass to compete with post players in the Big Ten Conference

This year, Kriener said he expects to become a prototypical “Stretch 4,” and that he’ll probably scale down to 245 pounds by the time the season begins so he can do a little more running.

Kriener, like all Hawkeye post players, is being pushed for playing time by incoming freshmen Luka Garza and Jack Nunge. He knows he’ll need to earn his minutes in a crowded front court.

Bohannon has compared Kriener to former Wisconsin star Frank Kaminsky. He said there’s more to his friend’s game than Iowa fans have gotten to witness.

“As the season went on (last winter), he was just dominating our scout team. We couldn’t stop him,” Bohannon said. “He’s just a really skilled guy. He’s going to be really special these upcoming years.”

The story and video interviews are here:

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...kriener-stretching-his-game-summer/441011001/

Last edited:
This article is from June 28, heading into Thursday June 29's PTL games.

Mike Hlas
The Gazette
Jun 28, 2017 at 8:42 pm
LINK to Entire article: http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...tl-flavors-jack-nunge-and-luka-garza-20170628

Luka Garza (entering June 29th's game) has averaged 29 points and 14 rebounds over his three PTL games and made a lot of favorable first impressions and second impressions.

Then there’s Jack Nunge. He has arrived here from Newburgh, Ind., in the southwest corner of the state. His team played against Cook’s on Sunday in PTL play at the North Liberty Community Center.

I came to watch Cook. I stayed to watch Nunge.

Nunge was a matchup headache for Cook and everyone on Cook’s team. The rookie tossed in 40 points on a variety of shots from 3-point distance inward.

If you hadn’t come to the gym knowing he was a freshman, you wouldn’t have guessed he was one. His 10-foot jumpers were money. He showed good defensive instincts. He can go to his left with the ball. He had six assists, two of them spot-on passes from the top of the arc to Hawkeye guard Brady Ellingson for easy layups.

About the only thing Nunge forced in his team’s overtime loss was a long 3-point heave in the last second of overtime that caromed off the rim and denied his club a victory in one of the more-entertaining PTL games of recent vintage.

Now, Nunge wasn’t facing any 6-11 Big Ten-caliber centers on the other team. Purdue’s Isaac Haas, for instance, awaits several months down the road. Still, Nunge has 105 points in three PTL games. Only Northern Iowa guard Juwan McCloud has more, with 106.

Brady Ellingson on Nunge: “I’m just really impressed with him. He works really hard. He’s a great scorer, a great teammate, can pretty much score from anywhere on the floor. He’s very skilled, he’s confident when he gets it, and you know he’s going to make the right play. … He can do it all. He’s kind of like a guard in a big man’s body. He can dribble the ball behind his back, cross over, then he’s got an inside game and can shoot outside as well.”

Games Resume Sunday July 9, 2017

3:00 Jones gym (NL)

Team 5 (Nunge / Ellingson) vs. Team 6 (Wagner / Williams)

3:00 Roberts gym (NL)

Team 1 (Tyler Cook/Dom Uhl) vs. Team 3 (JoBo / Kreiner)

4:30 Roberts gym (NL)

Team 2 (Baer / Moss) vs. Team 4 (Dailey / Garza)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gonna be a long 9 days! :)

GO HAWKS!!!

I still haven't heard why Dailey and Moss did not play last night.

What are we to take from Garza dominating Cook and Uhl?

Nunge also looks incredibly impressive.

With the 9 days off until the next games, what have we learned?

A summary of last night's games, per Mark Emmert:

Game 1

Dailey (Garza's teammate) did not play.

Game 2

Bohannon had 29 and Kriener 19 and 13 in their VICTORY vs Nunge (who had 23) and Ellingson (who had 21).

Game 3

Moss (Baer's teammate) did not play.

Reactions: iamia
Cook has talent to be doing much better, starting to wonder if he is afraid to put much work into developing.
If he's getting shown up by inferior players in the real season, I'll be worried. Just like we can't get too hyped about guys going off in PTL, I don't think low scoring outputs from Cook are necessarily a cause for concern.

Garza and Nunge are the real deal, imo, and they will play a lot. Cook is becoming a question mark as, so far, he has not shown that he has expanded his offensive game/skills from last year. Its not the low scoring that is of concern, it is that, so far, he is the same Cook as last year, limited skills offensively.

Reactions: perryhawk
If he's getting shown up by inferior players in the real season, I'll be worried. Just like we can't get too hyped about guys going off in PTL, I don't think low scoring outputs from Cook are necessarily a cause for concern.

What matters too is what is happening in practice.

Its just interesting that Garza, on this night any way, had his way with Cook and Uhl.

Garza and Nunge are the real deal, imo, and they will play a lot. Cook is becoming a question mark as, so far, he has not shown that he has expanded his offensive game/skills from last year. Its not the low scoring that is of concern, it is that, so far, he is the same Cook as last year, limited skills offensively.

I agree; Garza and Nunge look good.

Garza appears to have all kinds of ways to score (see video highlights from last night above); he just might have the jump shot that Cook does not.

Garza is approaching 7'0, which is kinda exciting.

But I could see Cook and Garza playing a lot together.

Is this a serious thought that went between your ears??? If so stop

Its probably fair to say PTL doesn't fit everyone's fancy. And there are team summer practice(s), strength&conditioning along with school. Not suggesting that as a reason or even excuse. I know Ed Horton didnt like PTL.

PTL is also a guard / wing oriented league. Sometimes big power forward's look out of place.

Garza & Nunge are incoming freshman...fighting for PT.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I am impressed in how much work JoBo and Kreiner have put in to improve their overall skill sets. JoBo has been working on his defense and on his floater. Kreiner has been working on extending the range of his jump shot. I think we have seen evidence of those 2 improved players during the PTL games. Both JoBo and Kreiner have shown us new parts of their game.

Anybody else show something new?

Reactions: iamia
I am not remotely worried about Cook. This is the PTL and you can't read too much into anything. If you remember that Andrew Fleming led the league in scoring a few years ago, that's all you need to know.

I am only slightly concerned about Cook, because he tore up the PTL last year and is not doing so this year. Now, I have not seen any games live this summer. If he is working on posting up, rather than trying to be a wing player, he is dependent on guards feeding the post.

I am not remotely worried about Cook. This is the PTL and you can't read too much into anything. If you remember that Andrew Fleming led the league in scoring a few years ago, that's all you need to know.

Fran obviously pays more attention to what is going on in practice.

What is fun is seeing the potential of Garza and Nunge.

What was surprising is how Garza dominated Cook/Uhl. Garza has a whole arsenal in how to put the ball in the basket. Yeah, its the PTL, but I would assume Uhl and Cook have some pride and don't exactly want a freshman showing them up.

I am only slightly concerned about Cook, because he tore up the PTL last year and is not doing so this year. Now, I have not seen any games live this summer. If he is working on posting up, rather than trying to be a wing player, he is dependent on guards feeding the post.

good point; and who knows what kind of offense any of these 6 teams have installed in a very short period of time

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT