ADVERTISEMENT

Objective analysis?

perryhawk

HR Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
I have to give the normal disclaimers...I'm no basketball expert, I didn't play anything other than pickup ball (no talent and less height), never coached, I'm just a fan.

So here it is. I thought this team would win 16-18 wins before the year started. After the rough start I was thinking that it might not even be that good. Then the recent turn around and I am now back to thinking 16-18 wins is a real possibility.

I am not here to say that either ISU or UNI are great teams....but they are solid. These are solid wins. Not to mention that we are now on pace to get out of the pre-conference schedule with 8 wins. I wasn't sure of that until yesterday with about 5 minutes left in the game.

All that said, how do I reach that conclusion.

First off, the defense has improved. I still don't think it is great but, I think we are a middle of the road to slightly below average defensive team. The good news is we can still get better at it...and should.

Our offensive capabilities I think are slightly above average and can still get better......and should.

We appear to have pretty good depth and that should get even better with the return of Tyler Cook.

I see the following as both positive and negative:
************************************************************************************************************
Dom Uhl is playing pretty good defense, on the offensive side of things he is contributing but no where near where he is capable of.

JB is better at PG than I thought he would be and can still improve....but he is playing over 30 minutes a game. As a freshman I think he will hit a wall and will need some help.

CW is playing no where near his capabilities yet...hopefully the light comes on sooner rather than later.

In a nutshell, other than Pete, everyone on this team can and should get better individually, if I don't stop here I could go on forever on individuals.
****************************************************************************************************************

So where does all of this put us? I would love to see a power index or a realistic rating of where each of the teams in the B10 stand right now.

Where would ISU and UNI fall in that order of B10 teams? Are they as good or better than Rutgers, Penn State, Illinois, Minnesota?

I don't believe that ISU is as good as Wisconsin, Purdue, MSU, or Indiana.

Is ISU as good as Northwestern, Ohio State, or Maryland?

Bottom line is that our Hawkeyes can and should continue to improve because of their youth. The questions for me are, how quickly and how much will they improve, and how many wins and losses do we see in this process?

Reactions: hawk-i bob
Where would ISU and UNI fall in that order of B10 teams? Are they as good or better than Rutgers, Penn State, Illinois, Minnesota?

Ken Pom has IA St 29th, IA 67, and UNI 88.

Minny 48, Rutgers 124, ILL 66, NW 46, Penn St 110.

IA's defense has been much better - can they keep the intensity at that level over the course of the big10 season? I guess I'm cautiously optimistic at this point.

Last edited:
We are a better team with Nicholas in the game than when he is on the bench, for sure.

People are alittle to concerned starters and reserves who cares when Baer is getting starter like minutes I feel he needs to come off the bench he's a perfect bench player plus the 2nd unit won't be as good with him starting it's nice to have the reserves in and not count down the seconds until the starters can go back.

The Baer Cage is one of the rare players who make an immediate positive impact when they hit floor. Even better he's like a force multiplier. Whatever is the flow of the game when Baer enters the game it changes to the better for Iowa due to his energy; more loose balls banging around, the defense tightens up and the opponent if faced with an entirely different situation to which they must adjust. Baer has that impact just as th opponent has settled into a different game so to speak.

People are alittle to concerned starters and reserves who cares when Baer is getting starter like minutes I feel he needs to come off the bench he's a perfect bench player plus the 2nd unit won't be as good with him starting it's nice to have the reserves in and not count down the seconds until the starters can go back.

What?

I have to give the normal disclaimers...I'm no basketball expert, I didn't play anything other than pickup ball (no talent and less height), never coached, I'm just a fan.

So here it is. I thought this team would win 16-18 wins before the year started. After the rough start I was thinking that it might not even be that good. Then the recent turn around and I am now back to thinking 16-18 wins is a real possibility.

I am not here to say that either ISU or UNI are great teams....but they are solid. These are solid wins. Not to mention that we are now on pace to get out of the pre-conference schedule with 8 wins. I wasn't sure of that until yesterday with about 5 minutes left in the game.

All that said, how do I reach that conclusion.

First off, the defense has improved. I still don't think it is great but, I think we are a middle of the road to slightly below average defensive team. The good news is we can still get better at it...and should.

Our offensive capabilities I think are slightly above average and can still get better......and should.

We appear to have pretty good depth and that should get even better with the return of Tyler Cook.

I see the following as both positive and negative:
************************************************************************************************************
Dom Uhl is playing pretty good defense, on the offensive side of things he is contributing but no where near where he is capable of.

JB is better at PG than I thought he would be and can still improve....but he is playing over 30 minutes a game. As a freshman I think he will hit a wall and will need some help.

CW is playing no where near his capabilities yet...hopefully the light comes on sooner rather than later.

In a nutshell, other than Pete, everyone on this team can and should get better individually, if I don't stop here I could go on forever on individuals.
****************************************************************************************************************

So where does all of this put us? I would love to see a power index or a realistic rating of where each of the teams in the B10 stand right now.

I don't believe that ISU is as good as Wisconsin, Purdue, MSU, or Indiana.

Is ISU as good as Northwestern, Ohio State, or Maryland?

Bottom line is that our Hawkeyes can and should continue to improve because of their youth. The questions for me are, how quickly and how much will they improve, and how many wins and losses do we see in this process?

good post Perry...just watched the UNI replay...as I thought CWIlliams did not play the last 5-6 minutes...Bohannon was still running the point at the 3min mark....why? sometimes I think Fran gets lost...CW needs to play when the opportunity is there...Fran missed this one.:(

Last edited:
Reactions: perryhawk
I think 9-9 in B1G would be a good outcome. I was thinking a lickliter type season might be in the works before Moss, Bohannon, Pemsl all stepped up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT