ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official B1G Baseball Tournament Games Thread. #3 IOWA vs #1 Maryland, Sunday 2:00 PM CT, BTN*****

IF Morgan goes tomorrow it won’t be for long. Brecht will not go.

Next weekend is much more important than tomorrow.
in my opinion Morgan will start and will go as far his arm will take him, be a few innings or 7 innings like Lewellen today

there will be no difference between a regular weekly game situation. like the announcermentioned times is that Iowa has the deepest depth on the pitching side.

the one to watch going forward is RH pitcher Whitlock, if Lewellyn goes Pro it will be interesting to see if Whitlock becomes the 3rd starter next spring

Reactions: obfuscating
in my opinion Morgan will start and will go as far his arm will take him, be a few innings or 7 innings like Lewellen today

there will be no difference between a regular weekly game situation. like the announcermentioned times is that Iowa has the deepest depth on the pitching side.

the one to watch going forward is RH pitcher Whitlock, if Lewellyn goes Pro it will be interesting to see if Whitlock becomes the 3rd starter next spring
Can you give me the stats for Lewellen did today? Oh wait. Luke pitched 1 inning.

Thanks! Now as discussed earlier, MM will probably go. So while your opinion has merit, you basically are a terrible poster.

• Haha
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I demand that we win this game.

Thank you.

Updated_bracket.jpg

From this morning, from D1 Baseball.

Being in the overall #1 seed's bracket is simply not right and not fair.

2023 Field of 64 Projections: May 28

WINSTON-SALEMTERRE HAUTE
1 Wake Forest (1)1 Indiana State* (16)
4 Eastern Illinois*4 Ball State*
2 TCU2 Tennessee
3 Iowa3 Indiana
GAINESVILLEFAYETTEVILLE (NC)
1 Florida (2)1 Campbell* (15)
4 Army*4 Pennsylvania*
2 Oregon*2 South Carolina
3 Northeastern3 UNC Wilmington*
FAYETTEVILLE (AR)AUBURN
1 Arkansas (3)1 Auburn (14)
4 Central Connecticut*4 Sam Houston*
2 Dallas Baptist*2 Duke
3 Cal State Fullerton*3 Troy
CLEMSONLEXINGTON
1 Clemson* (4)1 Kentucky (13)
4 Maine*4 Wright State*
2 Connecticut2 Boston College
3 Texas Tech3 Xavier*
BATON ROUGESTILLWATER
1 LSU (5)1 Oklahoma State* (12)
4 Nicholls*4 Oral Roberts*
2 Maryland*2 Texas A&M
3 Louisiana3 USC
NASHVILLETUSCALOOSA
1 Vanderbilt* (6)1 Alabama (11)
4 Lipscomb*4 Air Force*
2 North Carolina2 Southern Miss*
3 Arizona State3 Samford*
STANFORDCONWAY
1 Stanford (7)1 Coastal Carolina (10)
4 Santa Clara*4 Rider*
2 Texas2 East Carolina*
3 UC Irvine3 NC State
CHARLOTTESVILLECORAL GABLES
1 Virginia (8)1 Miami (9)
4 George Mason*4 Bethune-Cookman*
2 West Virginia2 Oregon State
3 Washington3 Oklahoma

Last four in, first four out, from strongest to weakest:

61. NC State
62. Arizona State
63. Oklahoma
64. Louisiana

—–CUTOFF—–

65. Kansas State
66. Arizona
67. Notre Dame
68. UC Santa Barbara

Number of Bids, by Conference:

10: SEC
8: ACC
6: Big 12 and Pac-12
4: Sun Belt
3: Big Ten
2: Colonial and Big West

If Llewellyn goes pro, it definitely opens up that 3rd starter slot because, even the most casual Iowa baseball fan knows that Brecht would be #1, Morgan would be #2 and Heller would have to replace all of those starts that Llewellyn had on weekends throughout the year. He’s an absolute innings eater and can be counted on for a good 5-6 innings every time Heller runs him out. 🤪🤪🤪

• Haha
Reactions: ICWestfan
Thinking about taking my son today. Will we have a problem getting tickets? I don’t mind paying a premium but only ones I can find online are $200 per ticket.

Thinking about taking my son today. Will we have a problem getting tickets? I don’t mind paying a premium but only ones I can find online are $200 per ticket.
Are Nebraska fans going to the game just to root against Iowa? lol

Hopefully this means a lot of Hawkeye fans have bought up tickets.

Ticketmaster has them available for purchase now. I can’t go today (Grrrrr) but just went to the Ticketmaster site and could have purchased a pair. Strongly suggest buying in advance. Ticket windows may be overwhelmed if there is a large walk-up showing today.

Reactions: BigOHawk
Ticketmaster has them available for purchase now. I can’t go today (Grrrrr) but just went to the Ticketmaster site and could have purchased a pair. Strongly suggest buying in advance. Ticket windows may be overwhelmed if there is a large walk-up showing today.

Just saw this thanks!! I'm there today with my crew let's go hawks! Iowa home or visitors?

Reactions: AuroraHawk

Like every team at the end of a tournament, we are equally unsure in the Maryland fanbase about who will pitch today. On Tuesday Kyle McCoy had some type of weird injury and only went 2/3 of an inning. He's a weekend starter, but a true freshman. I just don't feel like the manager trusts him (if you remember, he did well in Iowa City on Sunday for four innings back in April, and then your lineup battered him).

So personally, I am expecting a bullpen game from Maryland. I was even more sure of this when they nearly blew the Nebraska game yesterday by putting the cannon fodder on the mound in the ninth instead of the better arms. Maybe some Nate Haberthier, a transfer from Ohio State who was initially expected to be in the weekend rotation but did not deliver.

Good luck, Iowa! I will say that as a Terp fan, the Hawkeyes are the team I fear the most, and it won't hurt you to have a stadium full of your fans (although our guys have gotten used to that this week). I don't see any difference in the level of quality between these teams (though Iowa has the better pitching this year, in my opinion)...

Like every team at the end of a tournament, we are equally unsure in the Maryland fanbase about who will pitch today. On Tuesday Kyle McCoy had some type of weird injury and only went 2/3 of an inning. He's a weekend starter, but a true freshman. I just don't feel like the manager trusts him (if you remember, he did well in Iowa City on Sunday for four innings back in April, and then your lineup battered him).

So personally, I am expecting a bullpen game from Maryland. I was even more sure of this when they nearly blew the Nebraska game yesterday by putting the cannon fodder on the mound in the ninth instead of the better arms. Maybe some Nate Haberthier, a transfer from Ohio State who was initially expected to be in the weekend rotation but did not deliver.

Good luck, Iowa! I will say that as a Terp fan, the Hawkeyes are the team I fear the most, and it won't hurt you to have a stadium full of your fans (although our guys have gotten used to that this week). I don't see any difference in the level of quality between these teams (though Iowa has the better pitching this year, in my opinion)...

I’m fairly confident that Maryland will see:
1-2 innings of Morgan
Then Aaron Savary

After that, it will largely depend on game situation. If throwing strikes and keeping Maryland in check (the latter is a big IF), Savary can give 5-6 innings.

Iowa has some good arms that can pitch an inning or so. Christophersen, Llewellyn, Simpson would be the one Heller and McGrath trust most. Obermueller is a lefty with wicked stuff (draft candidate coming out of HS last year) but he has control issues.

We lost a very reliable and trusted reliever in Jacob Henderson about 12 games ago. Underrated loss that has been largely overlooked by how Christophersen and Llewellyn have thrown since Henderson became unavailable.

If Iowa is to have a chance today, it will need a big effort out of Savary and getting to the Terps’ pitching early.

Should be an entertaining game.

WINSTON-SALEMTERRE HAUTE
2 TCU2 Tennessee
3 Iowa3 Indiana
4 Army*4 Pennsylvania*
FAYETTEVILLE (AR)AUBURN
2 Dallas Baptist*2 Duke
CLEMSONLEXINGTON
4 Maine*4 Wright State*
3 Texas Tech3 Xavier*
BATON ROUGESTILLWATER
2 Maryland*2 Texas A&M
3 Louisiana3 USC
NASHVILLETUSCALOOSA
4 Lipscomb*4 Air Force*
STANFORDCONWAY
4 Santa Clara*4 Rider*
2 Texas2 East Carolina*
3 UC Irvine3 NC State
3 Washington3 Oklahoma

61. NC State
62. Arizona State
63. Oklahoma
64. Louisiana

—–CUTOFF—–

65. Kansas State
66. Arizona
67. Notre Dame
68. UC Santa Barbara

Baseball America has them in the Stillwater Region.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Helluva lot more sense.

It’s the potential curse of being a team in the upper 20s/low 30s overall. Low 2 seed or high 3 seed could very well mean that you are placed in a Regional with a highly ranked team.

You think that Wake Forest would be thrilled - as the #1 overall national seed - if the committee places them in a bracket where the opponent can throw Brody Brecht in Game 2? My bet is they’d answer with a big fat ‘no.’”

Win today and Iowa is not only tourney champ bit Iowa finishes with higher RPI (best RPI in B1G) than IU, split the season series with IU and overall resume better than IU. For tourney placement, today’s a big game. A win should - stress SHOULD - assist Iowa’s perception with committee.

Reactions: Randy Marsh
It’s the potential curse of being a team in the upper 20s/low 30s overall. Low 2 seed or high 3 seed could very well mean that you are placed in a Regional with a highly ranked team.

You think that Wake Forest would be thrilled - as the #1 overall national seed - if the committee places them in a bracket where the opponent can throw Brody Brecht in Game 2? My bet is they’d answer with a big fat ‘no.’”

Win today and Iowa is not only tourney champ bit Iowa finishes with higher RPI (best RPI in B1G) than IU, split the season series with IU and overall resume better than IU. For tourney placement, today’s a big game. A win should - stress SHOULD - assist Iowa’s perception with committee.
This is true, but does it matter? They’re in, and they’re not going to host.

Now it’s all about whose region you get placed in. No control whatsoever on that.

WINSTON-SALEMTERRE HAUTE
2 TCU2 Tennessee
3 Iowa3 Indiana
4 Army*4 Pennsylvania*
FAYETTEVILLE (AR)AUBURN
2 Dallas Baptist*2 Duke
CLEMSONLEXINGTON
4 Maine*4 Wright State*
3 Texas Tech3 Xavier*
BATON ROUGESTILLWATER
2 Maryland*2 Texas A&M
3 Louisiana3 USC
NASHVILLETUSCALOOSA
4 Lipscomb*4 Air Force*
STANFORDCONWAY
4 Santa Clara*4 Rider*
2 Texas2 East Carolina*
3 UC Irvine3 NC State
3 Washington3 Oklahoma

61. NC State
62. Arizona State
63. Oklahoma
64. Louisiana

—–CUTOFF—–

65. Kansas State
66. Arizona
67. Notre Dame
68. UC Santa Barbara

That'd be some horse sh**.

Reactions: Franisdaman

WINSTON-SALEMTERRE HAUTE
2 TCU2 Tennessee
3 Iowa3 Indiana
4 Army*4 Pennsylvania*
FAYETTEVILLE (AR)AUBURN
2 Dallas Baptist*2 Duke
CLEMSONLEXINGTON
4 Maine*4 Wright State*
3 Texas Tech3 Xavier*
BATON ROUGESTILLWATER
2 Maryland*2 Texas A&M
3 Louisiana3 USC
NASHVILLETUSCALOOSA
4 Lipscomb*4 Air Force*
STANFORDCONWAY
4 Santa Clara*4 Rider*
2 Texas2 East Carolina*
3 UC Irvine3 NC State
3 Washington3 Oklahoma

61. NC State
62. Arizona State
63. Oklahoma
64. Louisiana

—–CUTOFF—–

65. Kansas State
66. Arizona
67. Notre Dame
68. UC Santa Barbara

Not going to pretend to knew anything about seeding for this tournament, but that looks like some B.S. First off, my guess is that they are "projecting" a Maryland win today. Also, why the heck would Iowa get thrown to the wolves and Indiana get to travel an hour to play in the lowest-ranked top seed's regional? I know that geography counts a lot more with this tourney than the basketball one, but it makes no sense sending Iowa on a long trip to North Carolina when they earned a better spot than Indiana; both schools could have medium trips and the matchup would be more fair.

I guess we'll wait and see. If Iowa gets sent to wake, I wouldn't mind repeating Michigan's 2019 postseason performance...

I'm to the point where I just assume the baseball committee doesn't give two sh**s about the Big Ten, and only includes them because they're obligated to. Last year told us pretty much everything we needed to know.

WINSTON-SALEMTERRE HAUTE
2 TCU2 Tennessee
3 Iowa3 Indiana
4 Army*4 Pennsylvania*
FAYETTEVILLE (AR)AUBURN
2 Dallas Baptist*2 Duke
CLEMSONLEXINGTON
4 Maine*4 Wright State*
3 Texas Tech3 Xavier*
BATON ROUGESTILLWATER
2 Maryland*2 Texas A&M
3 Louisiana3 USC
NASHVILLETUSCALOOSA
4 Lipscomb*4 Air Force*
STANFORDCONWAY
4 Santa Clara*4 Rider*
2 Texas2 East Carolina*
3 UC Irvine3 NC State
3 Washington3 Oklahoma

61. NC State
62. Arizona State
63. Oklahoma
64. Louisiana

—–CUTOFF—–

65. Kansas State
66. Arizona
67. Notre Dame
68. UC Santa Barbara

Yikes.

Seems like two years ago when Nebraska won the B1G regular season and got rewarded by being sent to Fayetteville to be in the regional with top overall seed Arkansas.

If you ranked all the schools from 1 to 64, then the number 1 would be paired with 64, and number 32 with number 33, and these 4 schools would be in the same region. So if Iowa is the 3 seed in the regional with the top 1 seed, then it should consider itself the top 3 seed, playing the worst 2 seed in the first game.

Not going to pretend to knew anything about seeding for this tournament, but that looks like some B.S. First off, my guess is that they are "projecting" a Maryland win today. Also, why the heck would Iowa get thrown to the wolves and Indiana get to travel an hour to play in the lowest-ranked top seed's regional? I know that geography counts a lot more with this tourney than the basketball one, but it makes no sense sending Iowa on a long trip to North Carolina when they earned a better spot than Indiana; both schools could have medium trips and the matchup would be more fair.

I guess we'll wait and see. If Iowa gets sent to wake, I wouldn't mind repeating Michigan's 2019 postseason performance...
I know less than nothing about how it's done, but I don't think I've seen evidence recently that they care at all what happens in these conference tournaments. I just get the feeling that it was decided a week ago...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT