ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Caitlin/Fever/Kate/Meg Games Mega Thread***

Embracing the thug reputation.
In the postgame interview Reese said, "I'm a dog. You can't teach that." Forever talking about herself.

Then there was the time she said, "not everyone is watching just because of her (CC). People watch because of me too." Lmao, you can't make this stuff up.

This young lady is going to fall awfully hard someday

In the postgame interview Reese said, "I'm a dog. You can't teach that." Forever talking about herself.

Then there was the time she said, "not everyone is watching just because of her (CC). People watch because of me too." Lmao, you can't make this stuff up.

This young lady is going to fall awfully hard someday
I can’t stand her. But, she’s good. Not nearly as good as she thinks she is, but she is good. And annoying.

Welp, sure Chicago and AR and even Swoopes will have a little to crow about now but at least Indiana is still up 2-1.

And yeah Caitlin could have been a little more aggressive, but now hopefully she will feel she has complete license at the end of the game. Otoh, Sides may think otherwise, but eff her in that case!
I don't like Sides making comments post game about saying Caitlin should have taken that shot towards the end instead of passing to a teammate who had a drive for a layup on a fast break. Maybe she should have taken the shot but if she missed it, then Sides could have said she should have hit a player streaking toward the basket for a layup. How about you draw up better plays at the end of the game and coach better?

How about her teammates catch passes thrown to them and make layups? Write that article.
I have come to the realization that it’s not that difficult now to understand how Caitlin Clark can take lil’ ol’ Iowa to two straight NCAA national championship games.

First, of course she’s Caitlin Clark. But second, she had (for the most part) teammates who could catch passes, make layups (yes, I realize they missed some), and hit outside shots pretty consistently. Turns out most women can’t do these things. I mean, these are supposedly the best 144 women basketball players in the world, and it’s shocking how bad they are at some of these basics. Athletic as hell, sure, but glaringly deficient in some pretty rudimentary fundamentals.

I have come to the realization that it’s not that difficult now to understand how Caitlin Clark can take lil’ ol’ Iowa to two straight NCAA national championship games.

First, of course she’s Caitlin Clark. But second, she had (for the most part) teammates who could catch passes, make layups (yes, I realize they missed some), and hit outside shots pretty consistently. Turns out most women can’t do these things. I mean, these are supposedly the best 144 women basketball players in the world, and it’s shocking how bad they are at some of these basics. Athletic as hell, sure, but glaringly deficient in some pretty rudimentary fundamentals.
Her teammates were great at those things, for the most part. They were just a dominant post player away from winning back to back titles.

Chicago shot 50% from the field. They out-rebounded the Fever 38 to 25. And, Chicago was at the line for 32 free throws; Indiana just 14. How do you win a game game like that?

Curious stat - the first time Indiana played the Sky, Chicago shot 18 free throws. Second game 14 free throws. Yesterday - 32 free throws.

The last time the Fever and Sky played, Indiana came out in the second half and dominated Chicago on the boards.

So poor post defense; poor rebounding; and homer refs.

And, Sides is an idiot. She doesn't know how to correct anything.

The shocking thing to me is the inability to catch passes. Shooting is a skill and there is a ceiling on a player with dexterity, hand eye coordination, etc. But catching passes for women of that athletic caliber - how can they not be competent? I thought women's basketball was supposed to be the land of crisp passing and execution?

I bitched about the Iowa women not making the layups quite a bit but what the Fever are doing is just plain bad. One thing you didn't mention is that Iowa WBB shot the 3 pretty damn good.

The shocking thing to me is the inability to catch passes. Shooting is a skill and there is a ceiling on a player with dexterity, hand eye coordination, etc. But catching passes for women of that athletic caliber - how can they not be competent? I thought women's basketball was supposed to be the land of crisp passing and execution?
People say “the women’s game is more about the fundamentals”. What load of crap. The women’s game is awful at them. Can’t catch a damn thing, lazy passes, missed layups, and many jump shots have all the touch of a shot put.

People say “the women’s game is more about the fundamentals”. What load of crap. The women’s game is awful at them. Can’t catch a damn thing, lazy passes, missed layups, and many jump shots have all the touch of a shot put.
I have to agree when it comes the the W. In college, there are some well-oiled machines.

I have to agree when it comes the the W. In college, there are some well-oiled machines.
I think that’s because college is less physical. WNBA IMO would greatly improve their product if the called a tighter game.

Momentum and mass can be achieved by men and women. The receiver of that contact in the men’s game are bigger stronger quicker and have the ability to elevate vertically to overcome it. Women don’t have that ability anywhere near the level of men and it shows.

I think that’s because college is less physical. WNBA IMO would greatly improve their product if the called a tighter game.

Momentum and mass can be achieved by men and women. The receiver of that contact in the men’s game are bigger stronger quicker and have the ability to elevate vertically to overcome it. Women don’t have that ability anywhere near the level of men and it shows.
I don't disagree with your analysis, but I am talking about catching passes versus dropping them or missing layups/bunnies, with no contact involved. This probably has happened to Caitlin 50 times already this season.

I don't disagree with your analysis, but I am talking about catching passes versus dropping them or missing layups/bunnies, with no contact involved. This probably has happened to Caitlin 50 times already this season.
Hands are smaller and not as strong.

All the marginal advantages men have over women add up.

I am more convinced than ever the best high school JV team in the country would win the wnba title.

To me Smith is by far the biggest disappointment on the team. She was the number 2 pick in the draft. She's slow footed and for her size she's just not very physical. Angel punched her in the mouth yesterday and she wanted no part of her. She's more skilled than Angel but has nowhere near the fight in her that Angel does. Very average rebounder and has pretty limited range on offense as well.

I don't like Sides making comments post game about saying Caitlin should have taken that shot towards the end instead of passing to a teammate who had a drive for a layup on a fast break. Maybe she should have taken the shot but if she missed it, then Sides could have said she should have hit a player streaking toward the basket for a layup. How about you draw up better plays at the end of the game and coach better?
The play you are referring to was in transition. No plays drawn up here.

And CC did put Wallace in a bad spot by giving her the ball that early.

I didn't happen to catch the comment from Sides. But you are right, sometimes calling out your players can be at an inappropriate time. But sometimes it's also just part of the business

Last edited:
The play you are referring to was in transition. No plays drawn up here.

And CC did put Wallace in a bad spot by giving her the ball that early.

I didn't happen to catch the comment from Sides. But you are right, sometimes calling out your players can be at an inappropriate time. But sometimes it's also just part of the business
The "draw up better plays" was in reference to the play where Boston shot it at the end, not the fast break.

Rewatched the game and golly gee willikers (pardon the language) Caitlin played a nice game! She just commanded the team so well and it seemed like she was getting some of the best/easiest looks of all year.

If Caitlin's progression continues, and I think we're all confident it will, she is going to give the Fever a chance to win a lot of games, even some they have no business winning! You heard it here first ...

I have come to the realization that it’s not that difficult now to understand how Caitlin Clark can take lil’ ol’ Iowa to two straight NCAA national championship games. First, of course she’s Caitlin Clark. But second, she had (for the most part) teammates who could catch passes, make layups (yes, I realize they missed some), and hit outside shots pretty consistently. Turns out most women can’t do these things. I mean, these are supposedly the best 144 women basketball players in the world, and it’s shocking how bad they are at some of these basics. Athletic as hell, sure, but glaringly deficient in some pretty rudimentary fundamentals.

Actually, there were A LOT of missed layups in Iowa WBB games. Just do a search on "missed layups" and you will see the comments (ie, bitching) in Iowa WBB game threads.

Here are 3 examples just from last season (there are plenty more):

Feb 22, 2024, Iowa vs Indiana:

16 missed layups now

incredible

Feb 3, 2024, Iowa vs Maryland:

Imagine if Iowa made their layups?

9 missed layups so far (11-20)

7 Turnovers for Iowa, too

Jan 27, 2024, Iowa vs Nebraska:

Iowa has missed 8 layups (14-22)

Reactions: hawkeye_wx
I’ve never seen a player quite like Kelsey Mitchell before. She leads the team in ppg (barely) but on every possession of hers she looks like a pinball. I am stunned she averages even 2 assts a game.
Lol, she is something. Not always sure what that is ...

Maybe her biggest problem is she makes some RIDICULOUS circus shots, and shots in heavy traffic. Hence she apparently thinks she can make all of 'em. Nope. Not nearly.

I'm kinda ok with her dribble first mentality cuz she can get straight to the rim sometimes. She's that fast. But, ofc, when she draws three people she needs to pass. It's not in her DNA but can't that be coached into her?

Just another frustration with this team.

Last edited:
He didn't say she was bad ... he said she has issues that will plague her later. Never understood why sports fans struggle with separating talent from personality.
I didn't say he said she was bad. I was making the additional observation she is unlikeable, which is "separating talent from personality."

Fair enough.

Given so though, CC should have kept it on that one too
Blame Sides then: "Clark received the inbound pass to the baseline and ran around the 3-point line, trying to evade her defender. She bounced the ball to Boston, who took a jumper that fell wide left of the basket. Sides said Boston was always the intended target for that play."

Reactions: VodkaSam

Women are also much easier to knock over. Sometimes it seems like a they run down the floor with everybody grabbing and bumping, 2 or 3 for them fall down, someone misses a layup, repeat on other end.

I don’t understand why the league and many of its established fans are so enamored with the physicality, though maybe it has something to do with how the game is played overseas. Maybe they’re trying too hard to be tough so they can’t be called weak in comparison to men. Who knows?

More freedom of movement = more entertaining.

To me Smith is by far the biggest disappointment on the team. She was the number 2 pick in the draft. She's slow footed and for her size she's just not very physical. Angel punched her in the mouth yesterday and she wanted no part of her. She's more skilled than Angel but has nowhere near the fight in her that Angel does. Very average rebounder and has pretty limited range on offense as well.
Totally agree. Smith looked like she was lost yesterday. Reese did what ever she wanted to do against her. Reese can't shoot from the outside so why was Smith guarding her so close on the outside which allowed Reese to go by her time after time. She did not block Reese out either. Reese had a good game and played with lots of energy. Smith did not show any energy yesterday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT