ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Caitlin/Fever/Kate/Meg Games Mega Thread***

Boston was getting a ton of hate from our board. Was she playing great at the beginning of the season? Clearly not. Was it taking awhile to get used to playing w/CC and getting used to a new offense of pick and rolls? Clearly. And she's only in her 2nd year as well.
As I said, she was playing poorly and people expressed that. All athletes have to deal with frustrated fans. Just go re-read any Iowa football game thread (well, I suppose 54-24 won't have too many upset fans in it but that's the exception). It's what we do. But I'm betting that most of those people venting frustration with poor play wouldn't actually say she was a crappy player once they had time to not be emotional about it.

Reactions: longliveCS40
You’re the one posting vids. I guess the other videos don’t support your argument lol
I posted one video, why would I post videos that would supposedly support your argument? That's your job, you're the only calling her angry, bitter, jealous, etc. You're not making any sense.

I posted one video, why would I post videos that would supposedly support your argument? That's your job, you're the only calling her angry, bitter, jealous, etc. You're not making any sense.
We’ve all seen those other videos. I don’t need to post them here again. I’m calling her that because she IS angry, bitter, and jealous.

Season 9 Premiere GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Here are 4 examples where 4 different posters said she wasn't a good player.

Doesn't matter whether it's the city or the basketball player: Boston sucks.

Frustrating? You're being kind. She sucks.

Haha, Boston sucks

How else can we make the wnba suck even more? More touch fouls on Clark! Idiots. Also boston sucks terribly

At the time, she DID suck.

What don't you understand?

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
Being frustrated with shitty play during the game probably isn't the best way to judge people's overall opinion. Not a player exists that hasn't had that said about them. But when people had time to objectively think about it they usually would conclude that she was playing poorly, not a crappy player. And if they didn't, well, those were the clueless people I was talking about.

I think it was pretty clear from the comments being made that posters were saying she was a crappy player. There were a lot of "she sucks" and "how the hell did she win rookie of the year last year" in the early part of the season. And I gave you just 4 examples of the many types of comments that were being made.

And now that Boston is playing a lot better? Those people are suddenly quiet.

You actually say you hardly watch basketball and basically never watch a WNBA game but love to come on here and comment on a sport you rarely watch.

I used to watch basketball all the time. I don't give two chits if I never watched the WNBA. Who the phuck did?

Boston was BAD at the beginning of the season. Are you blind?

First five games she averaged 8.4 points. Couldn't run the court well.

Last five games she has averaged 15.6 points.

FG% is much higher now as well.

Rebounds are more.

Huge difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mister_Man
As I said, she was playing poorly and people expressed that. All athletes have to deal with frustrated fans. Just go re-read any Iowa football game thread (well, I suppose 54-24 won't have too many upset fans in it but that's the exception). It's what we do. But I'm betting that most of those people venting frustration with poor play wouldn't actually say she was a crappy player once they had time to not be emotional about it.

Here's 3 examples of posters wanting to trade the 2023 #1 overall pick and the 2023 Rookie of the Year:

May 20:

Boston should be trade bait for any post that can run and also is aware that passing is an option. She's a black hole on the block.

May 31:

I think they need to seriously consider trading Boston or smith for a shooter who can run the court. Or trade CC for a 5 players ?

On June 10:

Would it be shocking to trade Boston for Cardoso? That is what I am feeling about now.

I used to watch basketball all the time. I don't give two chits if I never watched the WNBA. Who the phuck did?

Boston was BAD at the beginning of the season. Are you blind?

First five games she averaged 8.4 points. Couldn't run the court well.

Last five games she has averaged 15.6 points.

FG% is much higher now as well.

Rebounds are more.

Huge difference.
Yes, she’s playing better. But if you don’t think having 10 days to break in a new offense and learn CC’s took an adjustment period than you don’t know anything about basketball. Her and Clark are much more in sync now than earlier in the season. And that matters. She’s talented. And a great teammate. She doesn’t need guys like you telling her how shitty she is.

At the time, she DID suck.

What don't you understand?

The whole team was struggling, playing 11 games in 20 days.

Boston clearly does not suck, which is what many posters clearly stated. And as I just pointed out, many wanted to trade her. Why??? Because they felt that she sucked, that's why.

Why don't you understand these very simple points?

Yes, she’s playing better. But if you don’t think having 10 days to break in a new offense and learn CC’s took an adjustment period than you don’t know anything about basketball. Her and Clark are much more in sync now than earlier in the season. And that matters. She’s talented. And a great teammate. She doesn’t need guys like you telling her how shitty she is.

Boston said she avoided social media because the comments about her got very ugly. Caitlin had her back the whole time.

It's like some of you have never read or participated in game threads around here. When things are going bad in a game, everyone sucks and everyone should be fired. It's reactionary. It's a lot different than making a new thread and putting bullet points out there to support your position. I've seen people say fire Fran or fire Kirk a million times during games or right after a tough loss.

Boston was bad at the beginning of the season. As I said, I felt and still feel, it was because she came in out of shape. Whatever the reason, she was playing poorly and has really turned it around. The posts calling her play crappy were warranted. I've seen lots of posts lately acknowledging how well she's playing.

I still feel like Sides is a bad coach despite the teams record improving. I still feel the GM and Fever organization are bad with the draft picks and trades they've made.

It's like some of you have never read or participated in game threads around here. When things are going bad in a game, everyone sucks and everyone should be fired. It's reactionary. It's a lot different than making a new thread and putting bullet points out there to support your position. I've seen people say fire Fran or fire Kirk a million times during games or right after a tough loss.

Boston was bad at the beginning of the season. As I said, I felt and still feel, it was because she came in out of shape. Whatever the reason, she was playing poorly and has really turned it around. The posts calling her play crappy were warranted. I've seen lots of posts lately acknowledging how well she's playing.

I still feel like Sides is a bad coach despite the teams record improving. I still feel the GM and Fever organization are bad with the draft picks and trades they've made.
There is a difference between saying Boston sucks and saying Boston is sucking right now. People weren't saying she's playing crappy right now or sucking right now, they were saying she sucks, she needs to be traded, etc.

Like Kristy the Dawg Wallace for example, you wouldn't say she is sucking you would say she sucks because she's actually a bad player pretty much all the time lol.

In my couch opinion, they need to give Kristy Wallace's minutes to Grace Berger. Much better shooter and let's see what she has on defense, can't be that much worse.
I’d agree with you if it was Kate Martin, not Grace Berger. Oh right, they didn’t draft Kate Martin.

I know you can’t answer this.
My question is, why was she out of shape?
She knew when league play started.

In my couch opinion, they need to give Kristy Wallace's minutes to Grace Berger. Much better shooter and let's see what she has on defense, can't be that much worse.

I feel like Berger must be getting cooked in practice. She is getting no playing time really.
Mark me down as someone that wants to see what Berger can offer. Her highlight package from last year is pretty decent. She was a first round draft pick. Give her a shot…there really is nothing to lose. She could take some of Wallace’s or Wheeler’s minutes.

Clark can't play defense is an Urban Legend. Factor in her steals, tip balls, and rebounds, she's earns her keep on D. Wallace is not the Dawg.
She does struggle to stay in front of the ball. As an off the ball defender she is actually very good. That’s why she rebound and steals/deflects a lot of passes.
Most people just see on ball defense.

Mark me down as someone that wants to see what Berger can offer. Her highlight package from last year is pretty decent. She was a first round draft pick. Give her a shot…there really is nothing to lose. She could take some of Wallace’s or Wheeler’s minutes.
I wouldn't mind seeing what she can do, I just hope it isn't the equivalent of pulling Petras for Deacon Hill.

She does struggle to stay in front of the ball. As an off the ball defender she is actually very good. That’s why she rebound and steals/deflects a lot of passes.
Most people just see on ball defense.
Ya and unfortunately in the end game if they just need one bucket they could easily hunt a matchup against her since teams switch defense a lot so they can just set a screen to get her on ball against their best scorer. I actually think she should have been up 3 with 19 seconds left though, not because of defense, but because Indiana was out of timeouts/resets and if Phoenix would have hit a 3 to tie it, or even a quick 2, they wouldn't have been able to sub her back in so she would have missed the final possession if tied, and would have not been in to get fouled and hit free throws if up 1. It looked like she even knew that on the sideline saying we're out of timeouts like helloooo

Reactions: GHawk
Here's 3 examples of posters wanting to trade the 2023 #1 overall pick and the 2023 Rookie of the Year:

May 20:

Boston should be trade bait for any post that can run and also is aware that passing is an option. She's a black hole on the block.

May 31:

I think they need to seriously consider trading Boston or smith for a shooter who can run the court. Or trade CC for a 5 players ?

On June 10:

Would it be shocking to trade Boston for Cardoso? That is what I am feeling about now.
Well, file those people in the "clueless" category. You don't need to get personally upset about it.

I know you can’t answer this.
My question is, why was she out of shape?
She knew when league play started.
If I were to speculate, I'd say she was focused on her broadcast career. She's very good at it and was busy during the NCAA tourney leading up to the season. She was on the road and that probably didn't lend itself to eating right and working out diligently.

Again, this is just my speculation.

Ya and unfortunately in the end game if they just need one bucket they could easily hunt a matchup against her since teams switch defense a lot so they can just set a screen to get her on ball against their best scorer. I actually think she should have been up 3 with 19 seconds left though, not because of defense, but because Indiana was out of timeouts/resets and if Phoenix would have hit a 3 to tie it, or even a quick 2, they wouldn't have been able to sub her back in so she would have missed the final possession if tied, and would have not been in to get fouled and hit free throws if up 1. It looked like she even knew that on the sideline saying we're out of timeouts like helloooo
I thought I saw her say that too.

Reactions: Chuck C
And CC already broke the Fever record, (or rookie record ) for assists in A SEASON in just the first 20 games......
CC currently averaging just under 7 (6.9) apg. I don’t think it’s crazy to say she could (or even should) easily have another 2 pg, which would put her at 9. Average 9 apg over 40 games and she pretty easily breaks the single season WNBA record of 316. As it stands now, I like her chances of breaking 300 and finishing in the top 3. Needs to average about 8 pg over last 20 to get there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT