ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Caitlin/Fever/Kate/Meg Games Mega Thread***

Some more tidbits from yesterday's game:

The Fever rallied from a deficit of 11 points in the 4th quarter, outscoring the Liberty 28-12 over the last 8:10 of the game. According to Elias Sports Bureau, the comeback tied as the WNBA's second-largest in the fourth quarter against the team with the league's best record. The Liberty entered Saturday 17-3.

Clark's triple-double was also the first in league history against the team with the best record at that time.

GR2cnTjWsAAvLKj

There’s only been 16 players in the history of the league to get a triple double and Taurasi isn’t one of them. That’s why they don’t talk about triple doubles, they hype up double doubles because WNBA players can actually accomplish that.
And Cailtin may have had a triple double in the previous game if Sides had left her in at the end. I think she only needed one or two rebounds?

And Cailtin may have had a triple double in the previous game if Sides had left her in at the end. I think she only needed one or two rebounds?
She had a game she was one rebound short. And another game she was two assists short. The assists game she likely should have had if her teammates could hit layups.

If she converted those two games she would currently be tied with Candace Parker for 3rd most career triple doubles in league history. In only her first 22 games.

I have a feeling she’ll be racking up a lot more points/assists double doubles to finish off the season now that her teammates have learned more where to go and when to expect a pass. Even easier if they’d just hit their open shots and layups.

Serious question

How soon do the Indiana Fever win the WNBA if at all?

I think Clark wins it by year 3 maybe 4. They will get another missing piece and they will be on their way.
They don’t need a missing piece, they need an overhaul. Their defense is absolute garbage.

They usually get eaten alive by teams with quality bigs. They need a true defensive center to play next to Boston. They need a SG that can play 1 on 1 defense and hit open shots. They need a SF that can do the same. They need a backup PG that can give CC 5-8 minutes of rest without the offense completely stalling out.

All in all the team has only 4-6 pieces that would be a part of a championship contender. Not to mention the coaching issue. It can be done but Smith and likely Mitchell won’t be a part of that since they don’t play defense and don’t operate as part of a cohesive offense most of the time. Sad because Mitchell has tons of skills but needs to learn to be a part of the team and isn’t tall enough to be a true slasher.

They don’t need a missing piece, they need an overhaul. Their defense is absolute garbage.

They usually get eaten alive by teams with quality bigs. They need a true defensive center to play next to Boston. They need a SG that can play 1 on 1 defense and hit open shots. They need a SF that can do the same. They need a backup PG that can give CC 5-8 minutes of rest without the offense completely stalling out.

All in all the team has only 4-6 pieces that would be a part of a championship contender. Not to mention the coaching issue. It can be done but Smith and likely Mitchell won’t be a part of that since they don’t play defense and don’t operate as part of a cohesive offense most of the time. Sad because Mitchell has tons of skills but needs to learn to be a part of the team and isn’t tall enough to be a true slasher.
Its obvious why the Fever were so intent on needing a point guard. Wheeler seems like a great team mate and person, but she can not drive an offense anywhere similar to what CC does. The fact that Wallace played so much to start the year tells how big the holes are on the roster Unfortunately Hull and Samuelson are decent role players but not starters at the level of the top teams in the league. I agree that a true defensive post would allow AB to move to power forward where she would shine, and allow Smith to play as a reserve. I think Temi shows promise if she could stay on the court. Still hoping that Mitchell can swallow her pride and accept a role as option 3 or 4 as she has skill and can score the ball. Her drives to the basket are very inconsistent, BUT she's a plus in transition with her speed.

Serious question

How soon do the Indiana Fever win the WNBA if at all?

I think Clark wins it by year 3 maybe 4. They will get another missing piece and they will be on their way.
Depends on when the two or three super teams break up or break down due to age.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Its obvious why the Fever were so intent on needing a point guard. Wheeler seems like a great team mate and person, but she can not drive an offense anywhere similar to what CC does. The fact that Wallace played so much to start the year tells how big the holes are on the roster Unfortunately Hull and Samuelson are decent role players but not starters at the level of the top teams in the league. I agree that a true defensive post would allow AB to move to power forward where she would shine, and allow Smith to play as a reserve. I think Temi shows promise if she could stay on the court. Still hoping that Mitchell can swallow her pride and accept a role as option 3 or 4 as she has skill and can score the ball. Her drives to the basket are very inconsistent, BUT she's a plus in transition with her speed.
I like Temi, but there’s a reason she hadn’t been in the league for half a decade prior to this season. She won’t ever be a starter for a contender but could be good depth. The only reason I’d exercise the club option on Smith is if she becomes a backup because I got a true center as a free agent or in the draft. At least her rookie contract is cheap. Hull and KLS are depth players, not starters. KLS has the 3rd most expensive contract on the team, so the team likely moves on from her when it expires in annother season unless she’s willing to take a pay cut.

I still say they should shoot for the moon and go after Griner in free agency this season. She’d feast with Clark passing to her and be a defensive and rebounding presence down low to shore up deficiencies.

The draft will be interesting. Cardoso would have been perfect for them if she was available next year, but there’s nobody like that valued in the level the Fever will pick at this time around. People say Iriafen would be great, but she’s only 6’3” and would force Boston to keep playing center. If they can get a big in free agency, that opens them up to go after a shooting guard or small forward in the draft. Bueckers is a must take if available and would release some of the pressure on Clark.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Bueckers is the clear choice for the Fever. As stated above we’ve been starting Wallace for most of the season and now Samuelson. Now while Bueckers will definitely need to get way stronger in my opinion and hopefully stay injury free but she gives them that option of another big time scorer which they desperately need. Smith was the number 2 overall pick. She’s not going to be willing to go to the bench. But either she diversifies her game or she’s going to get traded. They’re just such an oddly constructed team. This roster has a long way to go to be a real contender.

Bueckers is the clear choice for the Fever. As stated above we’ve been starting Wallace for most of the season and now Samuelson. Now while Bueckers will definitely need to get way stronger in my opinion and hopefully stay injury free but she gives them that option of another big time scorer which they desperately need. Smith was the number 2 overall pick. She’s not going to be willing to go to the bench. But either she diversifies her game or she’s going to get traded. They’re just such an oddly constructed team. This roster has a long way to go to be a real contender.
Bueckers is going #1…the Fever won’t be getting the #1 pick.

Someone on YouTube posted a clip of the Mercury game where Caitlin came up 1 rebound short. Remember the wedgie ball by the Mercury? Caitlin was in perfect position and pretty much alone ready to grab it IF it came off.

Normally that's not a very big if, ofc. Kinda amusing, kinda frustrating!

The Fever showed they can hang with the best teams in the league. But to do so, they must play with a high level of focus and intensity for the whole game. As far as the dips and peaks during the game, basketball is a game of runs (thanks Fran). Yesterday when they got down 10 points, they didn’t fold, and they made their run back.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT