ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Caitlin/Fever/Kate/Meg Games Mega Thread***

They don’t need a missing piece, they need an overhaul. Their defense is absolute garbage.

They usually get eaten alive by teams with quality bigs. They need a true defensive center to play next to Boston. They need a SG that can play 1 on 1 defense and hit open shots. They need a SF that can do the same. They need a backup PG that can give CC 5-8 minutes of rest without the offense completely stalling out.

All in all the team has only 4-6 pieces that would be a part of a championship contender. Not to mention the coaching issue. It can be done but Smith and likely Mitchell won’t be a part of that since they don’t play defense and don’t operate as part of a cohesive offense most of the time. Sad because Mitchell has tons of skills but needs to learn to be a part of the team and isn’t tall enough to be a true slasher.
There is no right answer but i think they are most missing a quality 3 that can knock down 3s. The bigs are good on offense and defense can be taught. I’m coming around on Mitchell. She is starting to give up the rock and pass some, and she is an athletic freak.

Last edited:
I like Temi, but there’s a reason she hadn’t been in the league for half a decade prior to this season. She won’t ever be a starter for a contender but could be good depth. The only reason I’d exercise the club option on Smith is if she becomes a backup because I got a true center as a free agent or in the draft. At least her rookie contract is cheap. Hull and KLS are depth players, not starters. KLS has the 3rd most expensive contract on the team, so the team likely moves on from her when it expires in annother season unless she’s willing to take a pay cut.

I still say they should shoot for the moon and go after Griner in free agency this season. She’d feast with Clark passing to her and be a defensive and rebounding presence down low to shore up deficiencies.

The draft will be interesting. Cardoso would have been perfect for them if she was available next year, but there’s nobody like that valued in the level the Fever will pick at this time around. People say Iriafen would be great, but she’s only 6’3” and would force Boston to keep playing center. If they can get a big in free agency, that opens them up to go after a shooting guard or small forward in the draft. Bueckers is a must take if available and would release some of the pressure on Clark.
Here’s the thing though, who are they going to get? There are like 20 to 30 elite women in the world spread over ages from Clark to taurasi. Maybe an aging big in the middle of her career sees the future with Caitlin and joins up with her?

Here’s the thing though, who are they going to get? There are like 20 to 30 elite women in the world spread over ages from Clark to taurasi. Maybe an aging big in the middle of her career sees the future with Caitlin and joins up with her?
I like them building with youth though. The “hope”is that in a season or two they’ll get most of the pieces in place and then gel into a team similar to the late 80s Bulls.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I like them building with youth though. The “hope”is that in a season or two they’ll get most of the pieces in place and then gel into a team similar to the late 80s Bulls.
I hope they keep Boston as a Karl Malone 4. She is so damn likable and talented. Buy a massive center in free agency, let smith go, and hopefully snag a quality 3.

I hope they keep Boston as a Karl Malone 4. She is so damn likable and talented. Buy a massive center in free agency, let smith go, and hopefully snag a quality 3.
Agreed. It’s impossible not to love Boston. Her head is in the right place. With the chemistry her and Clark have developed, I don’t see them getting rid of her. Not sure what they’ll do with Smith. I also think Mitchell’s (often successful) hero ball won’t fit into the future scheme of the program. Right now though, she’s the only other player that can make a 3, and sometimes gives CC a breather on the offensive end. The foundation is definitely Clark and Boston. Everyone else is expendable right now. Not that I hope they go. I’d love to see this very team win…I just think there’s pieces to the puzzle that need filled. One in particular is someone else that can make an open 3 off the pass.

So, even with the WNBA pass, I cannot watch a game played in Seattle because Chicago is involved and Chicago is our so called local team? Is that how this nonsense works?
You don’t need to give the evil Chicago team the extra tv ratings anyway! 🤣

Reactions: DTP2
Bueckers is going #1…the Fever won’t be getting the #1 pick.
Indiana won't finish last, so they won't have the best chance to win the lottery. They could still get the #1 pick. Their odds just won't be as good.

Honestly, outside of Beuckers, there aren't too many options from next year's class that would really fit the Fever in terms of immediate needs.

• Wow
Reactions: Hawksfor3
Indiana won't finish last, so they won't have the best chance to win the lottery. They could still get the #1 pick. Their odds just won't be as good.

Honestly, outside of Beuckers, there aren't too many options from next year's class that would really fit the Fever in terms of immediate needs.
They would have to miss the playoffs to get in the lottery, right? At least that’s the way I thought it worked. Also, there’s no telling what draft pick the expansion Valkyries get. I’m guessing the Fever end up drafting in around the 5th or 6th spot.

Sakima Walker, 6ft5 senior, South Carolina, is an interesting prospect.

2020 top 10 recruit, OH DivIII POY. signed with Rutgers (C. Vivian Stringer).

Transferred to NW Florida State when Stringer retired, won NJCAA championship, voted MVP and POY.

Didn’t play major minutes at USC (behind Cardoso) last year but could have a breakout senior season.

It looks like CC might be getting under the skin of Sabrina Ionescue...Ionescue's quote, paraphrasing..."This is their Super Bowl.
Sabrina has been good to CC, but that quote makes her sound very salty. I think she wanted that sweep.

I literally said I go after Griner in my post. She’s on a 1 year $150k contract and closing towards the end of her career. With Wheeler coming off the books, the Fever could overpay her to play alongside Boston if she was willing to leave Phoenix. Do that and you can go after a SG/SF in the draft.

I literally said I go after Griner in my post. She’s on a 1 year $150k contract and closing towards the end of her career. With Wheeler coming off the books, the Fever could overpay her to play alongside Boston if she was willing to leave Phoenix. Do that and you can go after a SG/SF in the draft.
They need to drop Mitchell, get a big and a shooting guard. I have zero confidence they will given their track record of draft picks (aside from the past two years) and their acquisitions.

Sabrina has been good to CC, but that quote makes her sound very salty. I think she wanted that sweep.
Easy to be nice about an opponent when you are winning big. Didn't expect the Fever to actually win. Remember all the stories about Nebraska football fans applauding the visiting team? Look how salty they are now.

Not sure if you watched the entire interview, but she wasn't really coming off all that salty. Yeah she said it was their Super Bowl but larger point was that they came in hungry for the W and they've been building and improving as a team.

Las Vegas (13-7) beat Dallas (5-17) today, 104-85.

2 players are now affecting Kate Martin's minutes:

(1) On May 31st, 34 year old guard Tiffany Hayes came out of retirement.
..........Hayes' stats today: 21 minutes, 1-2 (50%) from three, 1-2 (50%) from two, 2-2 (100%) FTs for 7 points, 4 assists, and 3 rebounds.

(2) 31 year old guard Chelsea Gray played today for the 8th time this season.
..........Gray's stats today: 26 minutes, 0-1 (0%) from three, 5-8 (63%) from two, 2-3 (67%) FTs for 12 points, 3 assists, 4 rebounds and 1 block.

As you can see below, even with just 11 minutes of playing time, Kate filled up the stat sheet.

Hawkeye stats:

.......................Kate..........Megan

Mins.................11......................17

From 3:...........2-6..................1-2
From 2:...........0-0................0-2

Overall
Shooting:
.......2-6 (33%)...1-4 (25%)

FTs...................0-0..................1-2

Points................6.....................4
Rebounds........3.....................6
Assists..............2.....................0
Blocks...............2.....................0
Steals................0.....................0

Turnovers.........1.....................0
Fouls..................0.....................2

I get that totally. I laugh when people say that they should trade Wallace, Smith, or Wheeler (as example). Like just what do they think someone is going to trade them for their discards? Only two ways they can improve their roster. In the draft, or a free agent who wants to play with Clark, and then release one of the aforementioned players.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Kate got a technical for this....

GR6xJFHWYAEuoNf

Not sure if you watched the entire interview, but she wasn't really coming off all that salty. Yeah she said it was their Super Bowl but larger point was that they came in hungry for the W and they've been building and improving as a team.
I watched the interview ready to have guns blazing but came to the same conclusion as you.

Brionna Jones from CT is on a 1 yr deal & 28. She's probably the best available free agent C to be in terms of age/ability. CT is the only team she's ever played for however.

There is no right answer but i think they are most missing a quality 3 that can knock down 3s. The bigs are good on offense and defense can be taught. I’m coming around on Mitchell. She is starting to give up the rock and pass some, and she is an athletic freak.

If Flau'jae Johnson was draft eligible I think she would be a great fit for the Fever. Super athletic wing that can play great defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT