ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Caitlin/Fever/Kate/Meg Games Mega Thread***

Remember Clark standing near the top of the key until time ran out? Is that what she drew up? The color commentator applauded the defense for getting the stop, but to me it just looked like a confusing mess.
I think she completely over thinks the end of game scenarios. She tries to be really cute with this elaborate play to set up a shot and so far it has gotten blown up every single time. Instead, plays need to focus on getting the ball to Clark and then let Caitlin be Caitlin.

I think she completely over thinks the end of game scenarios. She tries to be really cute with this elaborate play to set up a shot and so far it has gotten blown up every single time. Instead, plays need to focus on getting the ball to Clark and then let Caitlin be Caitlin.
That lousy play call was to get the ball to Mitchell, who finished 0-8 from 3. Completely blew up that idea as you said. Get the ball to the player that started the rally and had 29 points.

I wonder if things are finally coming to a head with Smith's atrocious defense...

People are framing this as bad coaching, and it might be, but often times things like this are decided because of issues that the coach doesn't want to air out in public, and they shouldn't be aired out in public. I'm slow to say anything about that because we shouldn't know everything and there are too many perfectly legitimate reasons to do something like this.

That lousy play call was to get the ball to Mitchell, who finished 0-8 from 3. Completely blew up that idea as you said. Get the ball to the player that started the rally and had 29 points.
Not just that time. Hell, most of the time they don't even bother to run something at the buzzer even though it happens 4 times a game. It's like she doesn't want to be good at that part of the game.

People are framing this as bad coaching, and it might be, but often times things like this are decided because of issues that the coach doesn't want to air out in public, and they shouldn't be aired out in public. I'm slow to say anything about that because we shouldn't know everything and there are too many perfectly legitimate reasons to do something like this.
Interesting that you mentioned this as I watched a podcast and it was brought up that there may be issues in the locker room. If that was the case, and I have no concrete knowledge that it is, then some things have to get discussed in there. Pronto.

Not just that time. Hell, most of the time they don't even bother to run something at the buzzer even though it happens 4 times a game. It's like she doesn't want to be good at that part of the game.
Another thing I didn't notice in real time was that on a previous play not long before the end of the game, Mitchell waved off Clark to set a screen for her. Clark ended up available to get the ball but didn't.
Get the players and the coach on the same page.

Another thing I didn't notice in real time was that on a previous play not long before the end of the game, Mitchell waved off Clark to set a screen for her. Clark ended up available to get the ball but didn't.
Get the players and the coach on the same page.
Mitchell needs to come to terms with not being the go-to number 1 person anymore. It's really hard to do that, particularly since she does have some really good skills. However, she has shown that she can't run the offense the way Clark does and would be much better in the supporting role. She doesn't trust Clark that she will get the opportunities that she is used to getting, and maybe she won't get as many. She will need to be more efficient with the opportunities she gets. If she can't do this, then Indiana needs to look to trade her.

Mitchell needs to come to terms with not being the go-to number 1 person anymore. It's really hard to do that, particularly since she does have some really good skills. However, she has shown that she can't run the offense the way Clark does and would be much better in the supporting role. She doesn't trust Clark that she will get the opportunities that she is used to getting, and maybe she won't get as many. She will need to be more efficient with the opportunities she gets. If she can't do this, then Indiana needs to look to trade her.
Well said. On the other hand, if the situation was reversed where Mitchell was on and Clark was throwing up bricks, then Mitchell would be the best option.

Well said. On the other hand, if the situation was reversed where Mitchell was on and Clark was throwing up bricks, then Mitchell would be the best option.
I agree and this actually happens. If Mitchell is on Clark has tried to feed her team mates, especially when CC is having an off shooting night. I also think she wants to try to build trust with her teammates by showing them that she is going to give them chances to impact the game. For what it's worth, I do think it is slowly working and her team mates are growing to trust her more. Now, we all know she would already be pushing setting the assist record if her team mates could even make half of the uncontested layups they've missed.

It was nice to see her finally just go, "F**k it, everyone sucks today, I'm doing it myself" the other day though. Won't work against a good team, but it will against most of them.

Actually, there was a breakdown of the end of the game. Turns out it was initially a play for Caitlin..............it was just a horribly-schemed play design, and the execution was just as bad.

Caitlin and Smith set cross screens for Boston and Mitchell, respectively. Then Smith comes up to set a back screen for Caitlin who is to fade to the far wing/corner/backdoor, whatever she might get.

Boston gets the inbound and Samuelson, who passed it in, gets it right back on the flip. She is first to look for the lob to Caitlin.

Washington, predictably, doubles CC off the Smith screen and to Caitlin’s lack of credit she essentially quits on the play once she gets doubled and taken out of the play, so Side's initial look gets blown up immediately.

Smith has a wide open Backdoor cut through the lane to the basket if she wants it, but kind of floats into the lane hesitantly, while Samuelson kind of panics because Caitlin isn't open, and instead of keeping her vision on the initial look, thus seeing that Smith would've had a wide open layup opportunity to at least SCORE POINTS.............she immediately bails and looks to the second option, Kelsey Mitchell who is flashing up off another poor screen by Boston.

We all know how the play ended up.......

It was poor execution for an even more poorly-designed play.

Key word, where, not when. Analysts are never talking about the draft order. I also turned off the draft as soon as I saw CC get drafted, because no one else mattered to me. Again, anyone normal doesn't know off the top of their head who was drafted at what time. I was under the impression that the Fever had a second first round pick, but instead that was the Sky, Sparks, and Wings. But your arguments aren't convincing, nor do they change my mind that the Fever shouldn't have tried drafting a center.

The following Centers were available in Round 2 for the Fever's pick:
Taiyanna Jackson
Jessika Carter
Elizabeth Kitley

I would have the Fever try any one of these players over the third guard that we cut. And whaddaya know? We cut the other guard, Celeste, to make room for a 6'4" big mid-season. It's almost like the Fever are well aware of the help we need down below? Golly gee, it's like I know what I'm talking about.
Looks like you are capable of doing research. Instead of saying we should’ve got so and so. You could’ve asked if anyone worthwhile was available if you didn’t want to look up the draft order prior to your Cardoso statement.

Would’ve saved you the trouble of looking stupid as you choose to mock people for knowing the draft order as you claimed to not care who was picked after Clark, but learned you actually did.

• Haha
Reactions: kceasthawk and 2D_
Looks like you are capable of doing research. Instead of saying we should’ve got so and so. You could’ve asked if anyone worthwhile was available if you didn’t want to look up the draft order prior to your Cardoso statement.

Would’ve saved you the trouble of looking stupid as you choose to mock people for knowing the draft order as you claimed to not care who was picked after Clark, but learned you actually did.
Saying "I wish we had drafted Cardoso" is something I won't take back, and in fact, I'll reiterate it; I wish the Fever had gotten Cardoso as well, because I think she's a solid player and would've helped the Fever so much, as they are the worst rebounding team in the W. I never once said "how dare the Fever not get Cardoso!" as if it were something they could have actually done. I simply wished she had made it to the Fever, because I was impressed with her in the National Championship. Your logic is flawed at its very foundation.

I don't care about the draft order and I never will. Nor does it change the fact that I still don't care about anyone in the draft after Caitlin. In fact, I would be happy with any new big, Cardoso just happened to be a more prominent name, which is why I mentioned her. I'll take anyone who is an excellent rebounder. Fever will need to make moves in the off season to fix their rebounding issue.

I'm looking forward to your next cute quip!

Exactly. Kind of funny acting that bent when someone "doesn't care" about anyone else, But why didn't they draft so and so,,,,,,Huh?

• Haha
Reactions: 2D_
Diana has been missing in action the last 9 days.

July 3 at Dallas: she played 30 minutes

July 7 at LA: Did not play

July 10 vs Dallas: Did not play-LEFT LEG INJURY

July 12 at Indiana: Won't play

This article discusses the possibility of Caitlin being added to the Olympic team. I don't see Diana bowing out, though.

Diana has been missing in action the last 9 days.

July 3 at Dallas: she played 30 minutes

July 7 at LA: Did not play

July 10 vs Dallas: Did not play-LEFT LEG INJURY

July 12 at Indiana: Won't play

This article discusses the possibility of Caitlin being added to the Olympic team. I don't see Diana bowing out, though.

Rumor is they’re sitting her to make sure she can play in the Olympics.

In the NBA no high-level player would do that. They’d pull out of the Olympics to ensure they could play for the team that pays them.

In the NBA no high-level player would do that. They’d pull out of the Olympics to ensure they could play for the team that pays them.
The WNBA has gotten unprecedented attention this year. Thing is, it's exposed just how ridiculous this league is. Bad officiating, bad coaching, bad play (haven't seen this may missed shots inside 5 feet since Jr High) the agendas and pettiness of the players...it's pathetic. There are some really good players and some exciting games...but overall, it's pretty weak.

I wonder if as an alternate she camps and practices with Team USA. How else could an alternate be expected to be prepared to play if someone goes down with an injury?

I wonder if things are finally coming to a head with Smith's atrocious defense...

Smith definitely does not like the contact, almost the opposite of AR in this regard.

Against the Mystics Smith went up for a rebound and when six other arms went up too she retracted into a shell protecting her head while the others had already left and headed downcourt, lol.

Definitely not a "Dawg."

Smith definitely does not like the contact, almost the opposite of AR in this regard.

Against the Mystics Smith went up for a rebound and when six other arms went up too she retracted into a shell protecting her head while the others had already left and headed downcourt, lol.

Definitely not a "Dawg."
Smith is immature. The speculation is sitting her is a "grow up and be an adult" message. Her and Carrington have some cringy social media shit out there. It wouldn't break my heart if they traded her after the season.

Smith is immature. The speculation is sitting her is a "grow up and be an adult" message. Her and Carrington have some cringy social media shit out there. It wouldn't break my heart if they traded her after the season.
Absolutely.

Smith and her girlfriend Mustard is not a good situation given how much Mustard hates Caitlin. It was already suspect the degree to which the team had Caitlin's back. Literally holding hands with the "enemy" can't help.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT