ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Caitlin/Fever/Kate/Meg Games Mega Thread***

So how long is Caitlin’s contract with Indiana? When would she be a free agent?

The Fever have CC's rights for 4 seasons (thru the 2027 season). She then becomes a restricted free agent.

After the 2027 season: once a restricted qualifying offer is extended by the Fever, it makes Caitlin a restricted free agent unless the Fever decides to revoke it. Caitlin could sign that deal. However, restricted free agents are allowed to negotiate freely with any team in the WNBA including their previous team, but their previous team has what is called the 'right of first refusal.' This means that the Fever will be given the opportunity to match a contract that the restricted free agent has agreed to in principle with another team. That agreement is known as an offer sheet in the CBA. If the Fever matches the offer sheet, then Caitlin signs with the Fever at the terms offered by the other team.

It’s called a slump, the greatest shooters and hitters of all time have all had to battle through it periodically in their careers. Seriously and I’m not trying to be an asshole here, but when things go awry in your fellas lives and you start struggling with things that you typically don’t struggle with, do you immediately look for someone else to blame?

I’m being serious because that is what it sounds like. Hell it’s been a common theme on here for a couple months that she started struggling a tick with her shooting mid college season.🤷‍♂️ and you are correct it likely is as much mental as anything, if you’re really looking for something to blame, I’d say the heaps of pressure put on her by fan expectations, the amount of vitriol she’s had from opposing coaches and players and the constant media attention…

Honestly, does it need to be anything more than that?

Seriously does need to be more than that?
Old Hall of Famer Tim Hardaway went 0-17 against the Timberwolves in 1991. Never bothered him a bit.

Reactions: cmhawks99
She needs to be in a system where she can shoot pretty much whenever and wherever she wants, that’s the mindset shooters need. She doesn’t have that with Sides. At Iowa she was encouraged to shoot…not so much for the Fever.
Exactly, said to the wife late in the game when she had a couple clear shots and passed of (not for an assist).
Then just stands there because she knows she won't see the ball again from other team members.

Isn't Peter jok on that team?
He is. Played six minutes and hit his only 3 and grabbed a rebound. Definitely gives me a reason to check out some other games I would otherwise skip. Whether he will get in when they play the US for real next week we'll have to wait and see.

actually, he hit 2 threes and 1 two point shot for 8 points

see post #12 for the highlights:

Exactly, said to the wife late in the game when she had a couple clear shots and passed of (not for an assist).
Then just stands there because she knows she won't see the ball again from other team members.

I guess I watched a different much more uplifting fun game than you did. I mean, she shot seven threes that seems like more than enough.

Ehh............she misses opportunities to backdoor cut for easy layups or rotate to the corner or up top off of passes/clear out space for others.

There are plenty of times where her quitting and standing in a corner after she passes the balls actually ends up causing her to be in the way so-to-speak because as the ball gets reversed back around (normally from a dribble drive mind you) her defender is still right there to close down that half of the floor. (You see this multiple times in the All-Star game last night with better players who can break down defenders, especially if space is created by teammate positioning that still allows both right and left options to drive and score or kick.........ex- imagine if Kelsey Mitchell was just standing off to the side on the left wing and CC was coming off a pick and roll that way. The prudent thing would be for Caitlin to draw that defender off the drive so she has that option to kick it to Mitchell, but it's not as easy if A. Mitchell just stands there, which both her and Clark are guilty of, and B. If the defense does itsjob and funnels CC so she can'tjust easily turn the corner on a defender off that initial P&R. That's when Mitchell becomes in the way because all she's doing is standing there not doing anything to put her defender in an awkward position of having to decide who to guard)

If Caitlin just floated to the corner, it would at least give more space, and then she could always take a dribble hand-off to bring the ball back the other way.

I've seen her do that a few times, but it almost looks begrudging of Caitlin to do it because it is typically then later in the shot clock.

You can list reasons for why she doesn't/didn't move much after she gets rid of the ball and stands in a corner from time to time, but the fact is she needs to start moving her ass more often when she's off the ball, especially if her 3 pt shot is gonna continue to be broken................

Ehh............she misses opportunities to backdoor cut for easy layups or rotate to the corner or up top off of passes/clear out space for others.

There are plenty of times where her quitting and standing in a corner after she passes the balls actually ends up causing her to be in the way so-to-speak because as the ball gets reversed back around (normally from a dribble drive mind you) her defender is still right there to close down that half of the floor. (You see this multiple times in the All-Star game last night with better players who can break down defenders, especially if space is created by teammate positioning that still allows both right and left options to drive and score or kick.........ex- imagine if Kelsey Mitchell was just standing off to the side on the left wing and CC was coming off a pick and roll that way. The prudent thing would be for Caitlin to draw that defender off the drive so she has that option to kick it to Mitchell, but it's not as easy if A. Mitchell just stands there, which both her and Clark are guilty of, and B. If the defense does itsjob and funnels CC so she can'tjust easily turn the corner on a defender off that initial P&R. That's when Mitchell becomes in the way because all she's doing is standing there not doing anything to put her defender in an awkward position of having to decide who to guard)

If Caitlin just floated to the corner, it would at least give more space, and then she could always take a dribble hand-off to bring the ball back the other way.

I've seen her do that a few times, but it almost looks begrudging of Caitlin to do it because it is typically then later in the shot clock.

You can list reasons for why she doesn't/didn't move much after she gets rid of the ball and stands in a corner from time to time, but the fact is she needs to start moving her ass more often when she's off the ball, especially if her 3 pt shot is gonna continue to be broken................
Wow. I get that Clark still has some things to work on before she's "perfect" or whatever your expecting. I mean she's gone from being the epicenter that everything the game revolves around to being a pro, with at least a couple of other pro's on the team, and a coach who trying to figure out how to make this work. In her basketball life she's never been told, "hey pass the ball, and then go over here". Her game is one of instinct and IQ. She is still feeling her way through this. Maybe at some point she'll start "moving her ass" the way you think she should. Still she's the leading rookie in scoring, leads the entire league in assists, and has already set 6 or 7 league records in her first 26 games as a pro. Maybe cut the girl some slack the rest of this season and some of the next and see just where this goes...

I guess I watched a different much more uplifting fun game than you did. I mean, she shot seven threes that seems like more than enough.
Yes she did but there is no confidence in her shot anymore.
She's missing more now than she used to. Christy is so into her head about feeding her teammates even when a open shot is available.
For sure when she passes, she will not see the ball again. You can tell in her body language when she shoots now there is no confidence it's going in the basket. Unless she's feeding Boston in the post she never gets the ball back from Mitchel or other players if she's comes open for a shot. Maybe she is tired. I don't know we'll see after the break I uess.

Reactions: Chuck C
She's missing more now than she used to. Christy is so into her head about feeding her teammates even when a open shot is available.
For sure when she passes, she will not see the ball again. You can tell in her body language when she shoots now there is no confidence it's going in the basket. Unless she's feeding Boston in the post she never gets the ball back from Mitchel or other players if she's comes open for a shot. Maybe she is tired. I don't know we'll see after the break I uess.
You guys do understand that she’s got the ball in her hands 65% of the time? She’s only going to get so many shots. Mitchell and Boston are all stars as well. Plus with the shot clock and initiating the offense if she’s not running a pick and roll there’s not a lot of time for the ball to get back to her. She’s doing great.

I think we're both saying the same thing but I'm not saying it right. I agree what you are saying. Even when Mitchel brings the ball up Caitlin runs to the corner and stands. She may come open but the ball is never passed to her in the corner for a shot like Kate Martin gets.
Even when Caitlin brings the ball up and passes off she can run all over the court but when it touches other players hands they make a play for the basket. Seldom does it come back to Caitlin. Even if she's open for a shot.

Last edited:
It’s called a slump, the greatest shooters and hitters of all time have all had to battle through it periodically in their careers. Seriously and I’m not trying to be an asshole here, but when things go awry in your fellas lives and you start struggling with things that you typically don’t struggle with, do you immediately look for someone else to blame?

I’m being serious because that is what it sounds like. Hell it’s been a common theme on here for a couple months that she started struggling a tick with her shooting mid college season.🤷‍♂️ and you are correct it likely is as much mental as anything, if you’re really looking for something to blame, I’d say the heaps of pressure put on her by fan expectations, the amount of vitriol she’s had from opposing coaches and players and the constant media attention…

Honestly, does it need to be anything more than that?

Seriously does need to be more than that?
But to get out of a slump, you have to shoot out of it and she’s not being encouraged to do that.

The Fever have CC's rights for 4 seasons (thru the 2027 season). She then becomes a restricted free agent.

After the 2027 season: once a restricted qualifying offer is extended by the Fever, it makes Caitlin a restricted free agent unless the Fever decides to revoke it. Caitlin could sign that deal. However, restricted free agents are allowed to negotiate freely with any team in the WNBA including their previous team, but their previous team has what is called the 'right of first refusal.' This means that the Fever will be given the opportunity to match a contract that the restricted free agent has agreed to in principle with another team. That agreement is known as an offer sheet in the CBA. If the Fever matches the offer sheet, then Caitlin signs with the Fever at the terms offered by the other team.
That may change with the new CBA next year and she might be a free agent at that time.

Doing a good job of what? Giving her the green light? She always has the green light.
Pushing her to shoot more. Sending mix messages is not giving her the green light. In the press conference she says she wants Clark to shoot more, then tells at her to pass in the games. Then she puts Wheeler in and tells Clark to go stand in the corner. Not exactly a bright green light.

Wow. I get that Clark still has some things to work on before she's "perfect" or whatever your expecting.
m1X9BI.gif

Pushing her to shoot more. Sending mix messages is not giving her the green light. In the press conference she says she wants Clark to shoot more, then tells at her to pass in the games. Then she puts Wheeler in and tells Clark to go stand in the corner. Not exactly a bright green light.
Wheeler didn’t even get in the last game.

She has to play off the ball some to get some rest. She played 38.2 minutes per game in July.

Her shot is not Sides fault & she got the ball back in that All Star game plenty.

She has to play off the ball some to get some rest. She played 38.2 minutes per game in July.
Which is crazy. Accounting for like 60% of their points the last few games, carrying a load that nobody in the entire league is doing and playing 38 minutes. And some of you are also expecting her to shoot 45% from 3.

So what you’re saying is, the missed shots are nothing to do with the shooter? So last nights misses were on Miller?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT