ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Caitlin/Fever/Kate/Meg Games Mega Thread***

I don’t mean this as a slight against Sides, but it would be neat to see how Cheryl would coach a Clark lead team for a season. I say this because of one part that stood out in Jan’s recent interview where she said Lisa coached Caitlin at the right time in her career, alluding to the experience and wisdom she had after coaching for so long. I know Cheryl didn’t coach for a long time, but wisdom and being around the game for so long could be of benefit to Caitlin as she is just starting her pro career.

I don’t mean this as a slight against Sides, but it would be neat to see how Cheryl would coach a Clark lead team for a season. I say this because of one part that stood out in Jan’s recent interview where she said Lisa coached Caitlin at the right time in her career, alluding to the experience and wisdom she had after coaching for so long. I know Cheryl didn’t coach for a long time, but wisdom and being around the game for so long could be of benefit to Caitlin as she is just starting her pro career.
Like many have said, there aren’t a lot of great W coaches. Miller is arguably the greatest player of all time. You could also tell she can still relate to the players and they clearly respected the Hell out of her. Sides is learning on the job, but when you’ve had Bluder or Staley as your college coach and then get Sides it’s rough. I also feel Sides has a bit of a chip on her shoulder, possibly because of this.

Arike should be on that team

She's been doing this since leading Notre Dame to the National Championship
I checked out her shooting in the last ten Wings games - it has been very poor. She went off last night, but it's very atypical. For the year, she's 37th in the league in field goal percentage. 16 guards rake higher than her.

Fever/Wings - - 8-21
Sparks/Wings - - 2-15
Wings/Mercury - - 4-14
Wings/Aces - - 4-13
Dream/Wings - - 6-16
Mercury/Wings - - 8-22
Wings/Storm - - 6-18
Wings/Storm - - 7-15
Lynx/Wings - - 8-17
Wings/Mystics - - 9-21

I think Clark, Reese, and J. Jones should be on the Olympic team. And, I don't think it's even a close decision.

I checked out her shooting in the last ten Wings games - it has been very poor. She went off last night, but it's very atypical. For the year, she's 37th in the league in field goal percentage. 16 guards rake higher than her.

Fever/Wings - - 8-21
Sparks/Wings - - 2-15
Wings/Mercury - - 4-14
Wings/Aces - - 4-13
Dream/Wings - - 6-16
Mercury/Wings - - 8-22
Wings/Storm - - 6-18
Wings/Storm - - 7-15
Lynx/Wings - - 8-17
Wings/Mystics - - 9-21

I think Clark, Reese, and J. Jones should be on the Olympic team. And, I don't think it's even a close decision.
Good find. As I said, she's just taking more shots then Clark, who when she struggles leans hard into her other super power facilitating at an ultra high level. Something literally NO other WNBA scorer save maybe Sabrina can fall back on to still contribute at such a high level..

I know Griner is still averaging 16-8 but she could not keep up last night. As I’ve been saying Father Time has caught up to her quickly. She’s pretty washed. Taurasi can give you 6-8 good minutes a game but at 41-42 years old does she really deserve to be here? Clearly not. That was embarrassing for the Olympic team. And I don’t think it’s a given that they win Gold. Look at the men’s team. They needed a last second shot to beat South Sudan.

Like many have said, there aren’t a lot of great W coaches. Miller is arguably the greatest player of all time. You could also tell she can still relate to the players and they clearly respected the Hell out of her. Sides is learning on the job, but when you’ve had Bluder or Staley as your college coach and then get Sides it’s rough. I also feel Sides has a bit of a chip on her shoulder, possibly because of this.
For sure. I'm sure that the ongoing comments on social media that Bluder should replace her aren't helping either her confidence OR her relationship with Clark. There is certainly still some disconnect between Sides and CC. A couple of games ago she pulled Clark off the floor with the intent of putting her right back in. They just stood in the coaching box talking for about a minute and a half about what Sides wanted, (I'm assuming here), and Clark didn't look all that thrilled with what she had to say. Sides then sent her back to the bench for about 4 minutes still in the first quarter. (She got roasted on social media for pulling Clark for half the first quarter). She is obviously struggling with coaching a player with Clarks enormous gravity. Something Bluder had to ease into 4 years ago......

I know Griner is still averaging 16-8 but she could not keep up last night. As I’ve been saying Father Time has caught up to her quickly. She’s pretty washed. Taurasi can give you 6-8 good minutes a game but at 41-42 years old does she really deserve to be here? Clearly not. That was embarrassing for the Olympic team. And I don’t think it’s a given that they win Gold. Look at the men’s team. They needed a last second shot to beat South Sudan.
True father time catches us all. Lol.. I do think the mens team is more at risk. Watched some highlights of the mens game. As we know many of these other teams are made up of current and former NCAA D1 players and quite a few pros. There were several current NBA players on the Sudan squad. Hell Jokic the NBA Champ MVP plays for Serbia. I'm sure the Greek freak is on that team. I imagine the men will still win the Gold, but its not the clear favorite like when they started the "dream team" with a young and motivated MJ. The womens game has some pros on other teams but hasn't yet reached the same level I don't think.

I’ll also say Angel played her ass off last night. Ran the floor, finished and nobody could keep her off the boards. She was really good.
Yeah, she deserves her flowers. I was surprised at how effective she was on the boards against the best of the best. She and Caitlin should be on team USA no doubt. Ogunbowale too, although her set of skills overlaps more with existing team USA members. But, no one passes like Caitlin and no one rebounds like angel.

Angel Reese is the best rebounder in the league. Caitlin is the best point guard in the league. Their detractors need find another hobby to waste their time on. The party's over - go home.

Reactions: MplsHawk and kkhawk
Angel Reese is the best rebounder in the league. Caitlin is the best point guard in the league. Their detractors need find another hobby to waste their time on. The party's over - go home.
And they play two completely different styles of basketball, so people trying to compare the two is ridiculous.

CC is really in a shooting funk. Counting last night and the two previous regular season games, she is just 4 of 23 from 3-point range. What has happened to her shot?
She had shooting funks at Iowa too, but shot her way out of them usually during the same game. She’d miss her first five or six then get hot and make five or six of her next eight. She doesn’t do that with the Fever….she only takes five or six, so if she misses most of them, she ends the game 0-6 or 1-6. Shooters gotta shoot and she’s not shooting enough.

other than comparing the two, how else would a ROY voter make an informed vote?
Just like they do for MVP…who is more valuable to their team and how do they stack up to others that play the position. Right now, Clark is in the top five discussion for MVP, Reese is not anywhere in the discussion, that should end the discussion about ROY.

She had shooting funks at Iowa too, but shot her way out of them usually during the same game. She’d miss her first five or six then get hot and make five or six of her next eight. She doesn’t do that with the Fever….she only takes five or six, so if she misses most of them, she ends the game 0-6 or 1-6. Shooters gotta shoot and she’s not shooting enough.
Exactly. This is what happened with Arike last night. She kept shooting, and got hot as hell. CC's not shooting enough and then starts deferring....

Reactions: MplsHawk
Shes shooting plenty. And if she were to take 5-6 more threes and only make 1-2 more it hurts the team. She’s leading the league in assists and actually playing a perfect pt guard right now. We’re just used to Bluder letting her shoot 25 times a game if needed.

I’ll also say Angel played her ass off last night. Ran the floor, finished and nobody could keep her off the boards. She was really good.
I'm trying not to like her but she plays really hard and I kinda wish she was on the Fever. The cheering Carter plowing cc is the worst. Maybe she realizes that wasn't the right thing to do and will do better. I think I could get to like her if she does

Blaming the style of play, which comes from Sides. Shooting is as much mental as it is physical. Caitlin just hasn’t looked comfortable shooting for a while….so who are you going to blame? You don’t just forget how to shoot.

It’s called a slump, the greatest shooters and hitters of all time have all had to battle through it periodically in their careers. Seriously and I’m not trying to be an asshole here, but when things go awry in your fellas lives and you start struggling with things that you typically don’t struggle with, do you immediately look for someone else to blame?

I’m being serious because that is what it sounds like. Hell it’s been a common theme on here for a couple months that she started struggling a tick with her shooting mid college season.🤷‍♂️ and you are correct it likely is as much mental as anything, if you’re really looking for something to blame, I’d say the heaps of pressure put on her by fan expectations, the amount of vitriol she’s had from opposing coaches and players and the constant media attention…

Honestly, does it need to be anything more than that?

Seriously does need to be more than that?

Reactions: littlez
I'm trying not to like her but she plays really hard and I kinda wish she was on the Fever. The cheering Carter plowing cc is the worst. Maybe she realizes that wasn't the right thing to do and will do better. I think I could get to like her if she does

Like her or don’t like her the second she stepped on the court. She was the best rebounder out there. Similar to CC is far away the best passer and true point guard already in the WNBA. That Olympic team is old. I was not that impressed with several of those women, and I know a lot of you guys are big Kelsey Plumb fans and I think she’s a really nice woman and oddly equally attractive and very unattractive at the same time, to me at least, but she does not impress me as a basketball player. Nor Gray or Taurasi at this point in their careers.

Yeah, you’re right, Clark just forgot how to shoot….that makes much more sense.

Blaming somebody else for my inability to hit shots, putt, do about anything is next level ridiculous🤓 just sayin’?

I’d love to see you in someone’s backyard explaining to them the reason you’re not any good at “bags” anymore is because of your coaching😂

Last edited:
Reactions: littlez
I don't think it was so much her shooting as it was the lack of opportunities. I blame tired legs for Clark and it might not get corrected until next season when she has an offseason to condition herself for the faster pace and actually having to contribute defensively.
Been saying this myself

Had to dig up some quotes when it was announced that the WNBA All Stars would be playing the National Team.

What an uneducated take by all of the above, when I saw these teams announced I immediately thought to myself hell that WNBA team is good. They could easily win this game…. Just shows some people immediately go to negativity.

Last edited:
Reactions: WDSMHAWK
I think the WNBA stars think they are a better team than Team USA and they've played with a chip on their shoulder. Particularly Ogunbowale. And I don't blame then the way this team was constructed.

Arike is the player who truly got hosed her. She was so convinced she wasn’t going to make the team, she pulled her name out of the running. I don’t know if if any of you knew that, but that’s sad, goes to show many other players realize the political nature of this team.

Last edited:
There’s a few solid international teams out there. They play like this they could lose

There are but this should be a good lesson for them. They definitely don’t want to get into a car race with any other team.

On a sidenote, I have so internalized watching this young lady, it’s like watching my children and every time that poor girl rims out a three it frustrates me to no end.

But, and this is an amazing thing… She is such a dominating force and puts so much pace and spacing on the floor that an Olympic All-Star team doubled her three or four possessions in a row in the back court to keep her from getting the ball and pushing pace. Then as it turns out, they apparently spent a lot of time, trying to eliminate her pocket passing …

That’s big time next level shit, a girl in the midst of her worst career shooting slump is still dominating scouting time.

Last edited:
Diana Taurasi feels like that mentor that no one needs or asked for.

Meh… she’s aggressive, an A-type personality, and opinionated. But she’s not the wicked witch of the west. No different than I or many of you. Sometimes her pettiness and pissy attitude gets in her way.

Lord knows Ive been there. So how many of you.

She's not wrong. It's a hard stance to take, cause everyone would love to win an Olympic medal.

USA basketball is allowed to be political, because they have an embarrassment of riches. They can pick and choose based on politics and still have a team that dominates.

If the competition was nipping at their heels, they'd have a reason to actually choose the very best.... Not a "player coach" do she can get her 15th gold medal.

Yes, if they absolutely had to field the best team they may have chose differently

I think South Sudan was fouled on their last shot attempt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT