ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Caitlin/Fever/Kate/Meg Games Mega Thread***

I don’t think that is right. I believe I read that the fever could “core” Kelsey and make her sign with them. In any event, I have to think she will want to come back because the fever are the team of the near future.
They can "core" her. It's too complicated for me, but I think Kelsey get big $$ and stays. She's got a good deal going with the Fever.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I don’t think that is right. I believe I read that the fever could “core” Kelsey and make her sign with them. In any event, I have to think she will want to come back because the fever are the team of the near future.

You are right. I updated the post above with what follows. And note that Caitlin becomes an unrestricted free agent after the 2030 season but the Fever could then "core" her and keep her another 2 seasons (through 2032).

A team can core ONE veteran free agent.
Between January 1 and January 14, a core qualifying offer can be extended to any player who would otherwise become an unrestricted free agent. Like other qualifying offers, the team and player may still negotiate a contract with different terms.
Core qualifying offers have an expiration date of March 7, but the core designation remains. If a player signs any contract, whether it is the qualifying offer or a negotiated contract, while under the core designation, they will be considered that team's one allowable cored player until the contract expires, is terminated, or is traded.

Once the core qualifying offer has been extended, the player may not sign a contract directly with any other team. The core designation gives the team exclusive negotiating rights with the player. The core qualifying offer is a franchise player tag WNBA teams give to a player who would otherwise hit unrestricted free agency. The qualifying offer compels the potential free agent to negotiate solely with the team that cored her. The player gets offered a guaranteed supermax salary for one year in return.

Players who have played 2 or more seasons on contracts that were signed while under the core designation may not be cored again. This means if a player is given the core designation in the 2025 preseason and negotiates a two-year contract while still under that designation, they will not be able to be cored for the remainder of their careers once the contract expires in 2027.

If the core qualifying offer is not extended or is withdrawn, the player becomes an unrestricted free agent.

As shown below, the Fever have the easiest remaining schedule of any WNBA team (followed by MN and Atlanta). 2 of the Fever's remaining games, however, are against the Aces; they have 1 game left vs the Lynx.

GWJsrvAXoAAM59A
Dallas is a different team with Sabally playing & a bad match for Indiana who give up the most 3's in the league. Curious to see how the last 9 go.

Heard a podcaster say that he would be shocked if Carter was cleared to play in the next game against Indy.
Just learned that Carter has moved into "Questionable" or "Day to day" for play. What a miraculous recovery. Was under Covid protocol and today was changed to non-Covid illness. Unreal. Never gets old with the Sky. Changed from Covid to non-Covid in one day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT