ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Caitlin/Fever/Kate/Meg Games Mega Thread***

Agree.

I bet the League office sent a memo to officials.
Think of it this way, if you are the ref who calls tech #7, the hate mail for CC missing a game would be brutal.
Now look at the fact the league rescinded Taurasi tech last week and the scrutiny refs are going to be under for making the right call. Think abound the closed door conversation league had, now multiply if it means CC missing televised game and ratings plummeting.

If you are a ref, it is not worth calling a tech on CC unless it’s obvious.

The WNBA has Caitlin Clark ranked #6 in the MVP ladder. Too low or too high?

1 A'ja Wilson, Las Vegas
2 Napheesa Collier, Minnesota
3 Sabrina Ionescu, New York
4 Breanna Stewart, New York
5 Alyssa Thomas, Connecticut
6 Caitlin Clark, Indiana

Also note that she's considered to be very close to being FIRST TEAM ALL WNBA.

GW-LZzxXgAAiuX6

GW-LZzvX0AAaMYJ
Clark should be third at worst. This list is a joke.

Her "pouting" or whatever you call it is getting worse.

Two games ago it 100% affected the game. I'm as big of a CC fan as anybody, but it was terrible the other night. She's extremely lucky she didn't get a technical.

I can't think of another player that throws her hands up as much as her. She's doing it to her teammates as well which I really don't care for.

Don't get me wrong, she's still the GOAT.
They all complain and many of them do worse than throw up their hands. Clark is just under more of a microscope than most.

But also, Sides isn't wrong. Officiating gets in Clark's head and her game suffers--especially if her shots aren't falling. She's also on the verge of getting suspended for a game and that doesn't do anyone any good.

This was a constant conversation with Bluder, and it will probably be the same with every coach CC plays for. If you have a short memory, go back and watch Iowa vs. Holy Cross. Not a lot of smiling from Caitlin that day.
Sides needs to step up and do something. That’s her biggest weakness as a coach…you can’t continually let your team get sh!t on and do nothing about it.

It would be different if defense makes a play, but about half of them are just sloppy on her part. As a point guard 101 you have to value the ball every possession.
Clark is high risk high reward. Take that away and she’s not Caitlin Clark. She’s going to have turnovers, that’s just her game. I’ll take that along with the double digit assists and 20+ points every game.

Fever only a couple of pieces away. Send Smith to the Sun, and send Samuelson somewhere.
I mean, I know we've all discussed this so why even post that? "Send Smith to the Sun"? Really? Like under the cover of night where we just replace her with someone from their roster? Why would the Sun trade one of their players for Smith? And anyone for KLS? For what a bag of chips and a 2 liter of Coke? These are the issues for Dunn/Sides with this mess. Other then MAYBE Wheeler, who is going to trade the Fever for anyone on that bench, any player worth a damn? The other issue is these teams know damn well, that a decent player or two added to this core roster, and the Fever are going to be a big damn problem for the league. I can't see anyone trading a player of any value to them. They're going to have to find something in the draft, or get really lucky..

I mean, I know we've all discussed this so why even post that? "Send Smith to the Sun"? Really? Like under the cover of night where we just replace her with someone from their roster? Why would the Sun trade one of their players for Smith? And anyone for KLS? For what a bag of chips and a 2 liter of Coke? These are the issues for Dunn/Sides with this mess. Other then MAYBE Wheeler, who is going to trade the Fever for anyone on that bench, any player worth a damn? The other issue is these teams know damn well, that a decent player or two added to this core roster, and the Fever are going to be a big damn problem for the league. I can't see anyone trading a player of any value to them. They're going to have to find something in the draft, or get really lucky..
Dunn's work is cut out for her. I hope she trades these two.

I agree, but she needs to eliminate the careless ball handling turnovers.
Every player has weaknesses…she has some careless turnovers, but she’s not going to change….that’s just her game. You take the good with the bad. The games where she’s had low turnovers, she just isn’t as good overall.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Think of it this way, if you are the ref who calls tech #7, the hate mail for CC missing a game would be brutal.
Now look at the fact the league rescinded Taurasi tech last week and the scrutiny refs are going to be under for making the right call. Think abound the closed door conversation league had, now multiply if it means CC missing televised game and ratings plummeting.

If you are a ref, it is not worth calling a tech on CC unless it’s obvious.
Agree.
The Taurisi technical being rescinded pretty much signaled the change.

• Sad
On the topic of Clark not playing or resting in a meaningless game..

She won’t miss a game unless she physically can’t go. The best rest you might see is 30 minutes in a game.

She feels obligated to play for the fans that paid money to see her.

Dunn's work is cut out for her. I hope she trades these two
Okay, and that would be great. So as to my post WHO is going to trade the Fever anyone worth a damn for anyone on their bench? Anyone? Buellar? I guess Smith has some value, but I don't see anyone trading an upgrade for her. She has way too many holes in her game. As for KLS? Her value is basically a 10-12 the player on the bench. Teams rarely trade for those players, and surely not anyone of value.
Clark should be third at worst. This list is a joke.
Sabrina is ahead of her because her team is ahead of the Fever, nothing more....

Reactions: littlez
Okay, and that would be great. So as to my post WHO is going to trade the Fever anyone worth a damn for anyone on their bench? Anyone? Buellar? I guess Smith has some value, but I don't see anyone trading an upgrade for her. She has way too many holes in her game. As for KLS? Her value is basically a 10-12 the player on the bench. Teams rarely trade for those players, and surely not anyone of value.

Sabrina is ahead of her because her team is ahead of the Fever, nothing more....
Another option is to leave them for the expansion draft and hope for the best. If smith has no trade value she would surely be taken if left unprotected. You would need to be damn sure free agents were coming though…

Last month, ESPN writers projected who they thought would make the First Team All WNBA team. Sabrina was the only guard they listed as 1st Team All WNBA. Caitlin was on their 2nd Team.

I think, however, that it's pretty easy to argue that Caitlin is currently the best guard in the WNBA.

This is Sabrina Ionescu's 5th season as a pro. This is Diana Taurasi's 21st year as a pro.

Caitlin leads Sabrina 7-1 in the 8 categories below.

Caitlin leads Diana 8-0 in the 8 categories below.

Compare the current stats:

...................................Pts...Rebs...Asts...Stl....Blk...FG%..3Pt%....FT%
Sabrina Ionescu..19.3...4.5.....5.9.....1.0...0.3....40.4...33.2...90.4
Caitlin Clark.......,.19.2...5.8.....8.5.....1.3...0.8....42.3...34.7....90.7
Diana Taurasi.......15.1....4.0.....3.3....0.7...0.3....40.5...34.1.....86.3

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Caitlin is currently 1st in scoring (692) among all Rookies, Guards, and 5th overall.

Caitlin is currently 1st overall in assists at 306 (11 away from setting a new regular season record).

Caitlin is currently 1st in rebounds (209) among Guards, 3rd among Rookies, and 16th overall.

Caitlin is currently 1st in steals (48) among Rookies, 6th among Guards, and 13th overall.

Caitlin is currently 2nd in blocks (27) among Guards, 3rd among Rookies, and 16th overall.

Caitlin is currently 2nd in Double Doubles (14) among Rookies, 1st among Guards and 6th overall.

There are currently 7 Triple Doubles this season and Caitlin has 2 of them.

Caitlin is 8 points away from being the 1st player in WNBA history to have a 700+Pts/200+Rebounds/300+Assists regular season.

Another option is to leave them for the expansion draft and hope for the best. If smith has no trade value she would surely be taken if left unprotected. You would need to be damn sure free agents were coming though…
Based on the CBA being vague and exact expansion draft rules not released.
Previous draft:
Each team could protect 6 players regardless of contract.
Drafting team could only select 1 unrestricted free agent.
For example if Fever were not to protect Kelsey Mitchell thinking she was out of contract, Golden State could select her and core designate her.

Based on this, you protect: CC, AB, KM, LH, TF, ??
Worst case is Wheeler select since that does not open roster space? However, you can’t protect her and not sign her since that looks terrible to rest of players not protected.
With Indiana’s cap space, they are in great spot to get 1-2 players, it’s the “who” and freeing another roster spot.
For example if you traded Smith for a 3rd round pick, you could sign KM to max deal AND 2 more players at $200k+ each (near max)

Reactions: nu2u
While watching the Fever this season I've occasionally paid attention to their opponents. And one thing that has struck me about the WNBA is that there are about 5 good players and the rest are generally unskilled doofuses. So while Smith may appear to be an awful player in a vacuum, it's not like the bigs on the other team are any better. It's a league full of JaVale McGees without the athleticism.

Based on the CBA being vague and exact expansion draft rules not released.
Previous draft:
Each team could protect 6 players regardless of contract.
Drafting team could only select 1 unrestricted free agent.
For example if Fever were not to protect Kelsey Mitchell thinking she was out of contract, Golden State could select her and core designate her.

Based on this, you protect: CC, AB, KM, LH, TF, ??
Worst case is Wheeler select since that does not open roster space? However, you can’t protect her and not sign her since that looks terrible to rest of players not protected.
With Indiana’s cap space, they are in great spot to get 1-2 players, it’s the “who” and freeing another roster spot.
For example if you traded Smith for a 3rd round pick, you could sign KM to max deal AND 2 more players at $200k+ each (near max)
If I'm GM, I am not letting Mitchell go. The players I'm protecting in order: Catlin, Mitchell, Boston (it was close, but the way Caitlin likes to play you need a reliable scorer at the other guard spot), Hull, Temi, and Dantas (insurance policy having another big). I am leaving Smith unprotected, and I am not resigning Wheeler. I don't think Temi is a threat to get taken or go somewhere else given her age and proneness to injury. Love her on the team, but she has availability issues. This would clear 2 spots on the roster and allow for 2 big signings.

Here is a summary of Indy's current contracts:

Last edited:
While watching the Fever this season I've occasionally paid attention to their opponents. And one thing that has struck me about the WNBA is that there are about 5 good players and the rest are generally unskilled doofuses. So while Smith may appear to be an awful player in a vacuum, it's not like the bigs on the other team are any better. It's a league full of JaVale McGees without the athleticism.
My problem with Smith is how undisciplined she is. With Caitlin, assuming she has a couple of other options to pass to on the break, in the half court she is better with a highly predictable plodder like Monica than Smith who you have no idea what will do with the ball other than shoot it. Meaning, she doesn't really like to pass and she makes some bizarre choices with the basketball, not valuing possessions. Dantas can fill the the role of Monica.

Reactions: kceasthawk
If I'm GM, I am not letting Mitchell go. The players I'm protecting in order: Catlin, Mitchell, Boston (it was close, but the way Caitlin likes to play you need a reliable scorer at the other guard spot), Hull, Temi, and Dantas (insurance policy having another big). I am leaving Smith unprotected, and I am not resigning Wheeler. I don't think Temi is a threat to get taken or go somewhere else given her age and proneness to injury. Love her on the team, but she has availability issues. This would clear 2 spots on the roster and allow for 2 big signings.

Here is a summary of Indy's current contracts:

https://herhoopstats.com/salary-cap...11eaecc7-3565-c004-b611-2362f5011b0b/[/QUOTE]
katie Lou $180k salary looks pretty bad sitting on the bench. Do you package draft pick to clear her a year early?

Top free agents along with EW & KM
—MVP Breanna Stewart, Connecticut's Alyssa Thomas and DeWanna Bonner, Seattle's Nneka Ogwumike, Las Vegas' Kelsey Plum, and Dallas’ Satou Sabally.
As far as expansion draft, some posts say it might be BEFORE core window so higher risk to lose player.

I might have said that a time or two...

It was just so obvious for us because we watched her play at Iowa for 4 years, we knew what worked with her style of play. Perhaps we should have considered that it would take some time for the rest of the team to catch up to her, not just the coach. It just didn't seem like they were heading that direction sometimes. At any rate, whether they were always trying to get here and they just hadn't adjusted or whether it took some time convincing the coaching staff and rest of the team that this fast pace, high flying style could work at the WNBA level they did eventually get there and we were right about one thing. The league wasn't going to be able to keep pace with her style of play.

Oh, and all those people who said "Clark fans don't understand basketball" can go eat a bag of dicks.
I’ve heard many pundits say CC had to adjust to the speed of the game. I’ve always thought the others needed to catch up with Caitlin’s speed of the game. I feel confident I was right. Ppl greatly underestimated her and I wish I’d kept receipts.

I
Top free agents along with EW & KM
—MVP Breanna Stewart, Connecticut's Alyssa Thomas and DeWanna Bonner, Seattle's Nneka Ogwumike, Las Vegas' Kelsey Plum, and Dallas’ Satou Sabally.
As far as expansion draft, some posts say it might be BEFORE core window so higher risk to lose player.
Nneka and Satou would be nice additions.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
She forces passes when she should otherwise shoot a lot more than we're used to also contributing to some turnovers. Wish she'd pull the trigger more

This. Against the Lynx, she had that steal and fast break and tried a super low percentage wrap around type pass instead of going up for the layup.

The defender was playing the pass, do just needed to take the shot.

Reactions: BioHawk
My order of protection for the expansion draft
  1. Clark - duh
  2. Mitchell - Before the past month she'd be further down the list but has been working great with Clark and playing within the offense lately. However if she gives indications that she isn't going to re-sign then she definitely moves below Boston.
  3. Boston - Bigs are easier to find which is why I listed the guards above her, but I'd still want to keep her.
  4. Hull - Earned the protection and still on rookie contract.
  5. Dantas - relatively cheap and plays her role as a backup well, plus a positive shooter for a big.
  6. Temi - Relatively cheap as a backup, shooting skills hold her back.
  7. KLS - Hoping she gets better another year post-pregnancy, but wouldn't mind if someone took her and her bad contract. She'd be a spot or two higher if not for the contract.
  8. Wheeler - I'd consider resigning her on a cheap contract but wouldn't be sad if she left.
  9. Smith - I'm hoping someone takes her off the roster to free up a spot.
  10. Berger - Who knows her value? Does it matter?
  11. Wallace - Gone soon anyway.
  12. Saxton - No value other than being on a cheap contract.

I’ve heard many pundits say CC had to adjust to the speed of the game. I’ve always thought the others needed to catch up with Caitlin’s speed of the game. I feel confident I was right. Ppl greatly underestimated her and I wish I’d kept receipts.
This is exactly what it is and some players still haven't done it. Just think if the refs didn't buy into the "rookies need to get the shit kicked out of them, particularly famous rookies" hazing bullshit that they've done. The number of free throws CC would get a game would have tripled. Well, at least until teams got tired of giving her 10 free points at the free throw line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT