ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Caitlin/Fever/Kate/Meg Games Mega Thread***

Example? I can't think of any, but I'm not really watching the game for that. I agree that she has been riding the refs pretty hard. But, I also think she is crushing it overall. The problem with this team isn't her.

When she makes a long pass and they fumble it and it ends up being a turnover.

She's been throwing her hands up and shaking her head.

She's a huge competitor and wants to win, I get it, but she's really starting to look like a whiny bitch.

The complaining and whiny and recklessness come from the very same energy that makes her great. Stiffle her passion and get her to zero turnovers and what you have left would not be Caitlin Clark. I'm just amazed that people can't see that with someone like CC, you take the good with the not so good. Compare her to John McEnroe if you will.

When she makes a long pass and they fumble it and it ends up being a turnover.

She's been throwing her hands up and shaking her head.

She's a huge competitor and wants to win, I get it, but she's really starting to look like a whiny bitch.
Jordan, Tom Brady, and Kobe were very tough on their teammates. They did things similar to what Clark does. Highly successful teams have alpha dogs. Can you point to any evidence that Clark's actions are causing dissension?

I do think she might be getting a special (not blown) whistle down the stretch with regard to technicals. I somewhat appreciate that she is a unicorn and doing things never before seen, but she has been a jerk much of the last two games. Encouraging the crowd to boo or cheer particular calls was a new one for me.
If she gets suspended, it probably becomes a national news story. Not sure the WNBA wants the clusterf of 15K buying tickets(and hotels, et al), and they won't let her play. Short of throwing a punch, she might have a very long leash these days.
Do the T's somehow reset for the playoffs? Don't recall that was the case with Draymond Green, but that's a different league.

I do think she might be getting a special (not blown) whistle down the stretch with regard to technicals. I somewhat appreciate that she is a unicorn and doing things never before seen, but she has been a jerk much of the last two games. Encouraging the crowd to boo or cheer particular calls was a new one for me.
If she gets suspended, it probably becomes a national news story. Not sure the WNBA wants the clusterf of 15K buying tickets(and hotels, et al), and they won't let her play. Short of throwing a punch, she might have a very long leash these days.
Do the T's somehow reset for the playoffs? Don't recall that was the case with Draymond Green, but that's a different league.
Agree.

I bet the League office sent a memo to officials.

Reactions: spiderland
I don't disagree with some of that, but these refs are brutal and inconsistent to boot. How do they call caitlin with a push off but no foul on Rhyne Howard shoving Lexi down (29 second mark)?

If you knew the downsides of being a perfectionist you might understand.

It’s not good for her or the team.
If you read the piece from Wright Thompson he talks at length about the balancing act that Clark is doing between her "star life" and being a normal person and her struggles to keep herself balanced. She's at war within herself to still be "Caitlin" and to be CC22.

Over the last 5 games, Clark is averaging 27 points, 11 assists, and 6 rebounds. And the Fever are 8-2 since the break. Other than some occasional pouting (which hasn't really hurt the team much), in what manner is Clark letting the pressure get to her?
Its not. Thats just what people think. She lives for it. We've watched her rise to the occasion in big games the last three years. She can't make up for some of her team mates poor play, but she's clearly rising above even what the expectations were, and thats saying a hell of a lot..

I don't disagree with some of that, but these refs are brutal and inconsistent to boot. How do they call caitlin with a push off but no foul on Rhyne Howard shoving Lexi down (29 second mark)?

Agree that Caitlin would be best served to dial things back, but JUST a little, IMO. Why just a little? First, in case folks haven’t noticed, EVERY player in the W seems to routinely bitch about calls, albeit CC does so more demonstratively in many cases I’ll admit. Second, the officiating in this league is an absolute disgrace, and Caitlin has been on the receiving end of that almost more times than I can count. And third, it would help if Sides, you know, DID HER FVCKING JOB and took the heat off of Caitlin like she said she was gonna do earlier this year (hey Christie, maybe just ONE T this year after your team has been screwed over repeatedly?).

As for stirring the crowd up after a call that finally goes the Fever’s way, personally I love it. If the refs are that thin skinned to penalize after something like that, fvck them. Actually, forget that; fvck them anyway.

Agree that Caitlin would be best served to dial things back, but JUST a little, IMO. Why just a little? First, in case folks haven’t noticed, EVERY player in the W seems to routinely bitch about calls, albeit CC does so more demonstratively in many cases I’ll admit. Second, the officiating in this league is an absolute disgrace, and Caitlin has been on the receiving end of that almost more times than I can count. And third, it would help if Sides, you know, DID HER FVCKING JOB and took the heat off of Caitlin like she said she was gonna do earlier this year (hey Christie, maybe just ONE T this year after your team has been screwed over repeatedly?).

As for stirring the crowd up after a call that finally goes the Fever’s way, personally I love it. If the refs are that thin skinned to penalize after something like that, fvck them. Actually, forget that; fvck them anyway.
I think part of Caitlin's reaction is that it seems like the fever just gets hosed over and over, especially with Boston. Boston gets no benefit of any doubt. So when Boston is one of Caitlin's homies getting screwed on the reg, it probably amplifies her irritation, and thus her outbursts.

36 games into her career, Caitlin is sitting at #1 in career assists per game (8.5 vs. Vandersloot #2 at 6.7); #1 in career 3PM per game (3.1 vs. Sabrina #2 at 2.7), and #6 in career points per game (19.2 trailing A’Ja at 21.0 and Cynthia Cooper, Stewart, Arike, and Elena Delle Donne). This with at least a couple of the worst games she’s probably played in the past five years, a floater and mid-range game that are still in development, teammates who weren’t prepared for and are still acclimating to her style of play, a coach who tried to entirely change her game for at least the first quarter of the season, and an entire league of opposing players who made it their prime objective to humble her publicly.

Totally different scenarios for sure. Just ask Sabonis, Poole, Gobert, and Nurkic lol.

Don't recall that was the case with Draymond Green, but that's a different league.

Sides, Get in there and stick up for your players. Show some real passion. You'd be surprised how the players will respond.

Honestly Smith might have been the right pick at the time. But she clearly hasn't improved her game, can't finish around the rim and is absolutely lost on defense. Which is why Temi plays in the key moments now. She's physical, she runs the floor hard and also plays hard on both ends of the floor. Maybe Smith would be better of with a change of scenery. Someone would take a chance on her I believe as a former number 2 pick. Trade her and get what you get and draft another Power Forward.

I don't know who coaches the bigs for the Fever but they need a "Jan Jensen type."

Smith turned 24 on Aug 8; she's listed at 6' 4", 185 lbs (though she looks heavier than that).

She was 3rd in the 2022 Rookie of the Year vote, behind Rhyne Howard (Atlanta) and Shakira Austin (Washington).

Her stats:

Year..........Points..Rebs...FG%...FT%

Over the last 5 games, Clark is averaging 27 points, 11 assists, and 6 rebounds. And the Fever are 8-2 since the break. Other than some occasional pouting (which hasn't really hurt the team much), in what manner is Clark letting the pressure get to her?

And like others said, I don't think she was feeling good yesterday (explains her facial expressions)

The last time she played with a migraine, the Fever acknowledged it; not sure if they said anything this time

When she makes a long pass and they fumble it and it ends up being a turnover. She's been throwing her hands up and shaking her head. She's a huge competitor and wants to win, I get it, but she's really starting to look like a whiny bitch.

How do you know she isn't throwing her hands up and shaking her head at herself?

yeah, calling Caitlin a "whiny bitch" seems a bit extreme to me. LOL

I don't disagree with you at all but I will continue to say this: name a sport where officiating is good. Hell, in T-ball you have parents yelling at the umps. LOL

Nobody wants the job, at any level, so we are left with the officials that we see. Demand >>> Supply.

Sure would be cool to see the Fever take at least 1 of 2 from the Aces.

The Fever's next 3 games are at home; they end the regular season at Washington.

GXDXFrnXUAAh3B5

I don't disagree with you at all but I will continue to say this: name a sport where officiating is good. Hell, in T-ball you have parents yelling at the umps. LOL

Nobody wants the job, at any level, so we are left with the officials that we see. Demand >>> Supply.
There is a difference between being good and not atrocious.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Can you imagine what her game will be like next year?

I'm sure she will hit the weights as well.

Unstoppable.
She will hit the weights and be stronger taking the ball to the rim. This may also help her a bit more playing through all the contact on the perimeter if opponents continue to play her that way.

There’s no way to prove this, but I think it’s reasonable to think that the weight training she started in-season (we know she’s already put on measurable muscle) has forced her to adjust her three point shot on the fly. She really has had only one OMG Caitlin game so far (7-13 against the Mystics). Give her the off-season to weight train AND re-perfect her touch from the logo and watch out.

Now……

As the Fever continue to (hopefully—I’m looking at you, Lin Dunn) get better players, where does that equilibrium between points and assists eventually settle? I think starting next year she should consistently be in the neighborhood of 400 assists per year. Some of that assumes a roster upgrade, but I’m not even sure that’s absolutely necessary. Significant upgrade, and no reason to believe she’s not north of even that. Will there still be 20-24 ppg available for her in that scenario? With her toolbox, why not?

• Love
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
She will hit the weights and be stronger taking the ball to the rim. This may also help her a bit more playing through all the contact on the perimeter if opponents continue to play her that way.

There’s no way to prove this, but I think it’s reasonable to think that the weight training she started in-season (we know she’s already put on measurable muscle) has forced her to adjust her three point shot on the fly. She really has had only one OMG Caitlin game so far (7-13 against the Mystics). Give her the off-season to weight train AND re-perfect her touch from the logo and watch out.

Now……

As the Fever continue to (hopefully—I’m looking at you, Lin Dunn) get better players, where does that equilibrium between points and assists eventually settle? I think starting next year she should consistently be in the neighborhood of 400 assists per year. Some of that assumes a roster upgrade, but I’m not even sure that’s absolutely necessary. Significant upgrade, and no reason to believe she’s not north of even that. Will there still 20-24 ppg available for her in that scenario? With her toolbox, why not?
She's already made a pretty big adjustment. Since the break for the Olympics she's shooting over 40% from three. Thats a lot better then the first 20 some games, and better then she ever shot over an entire season at Iowa from three.......

She's already made a pretty big adjustment. Since the break for the Olympics she's shooting over 40% from three. Thats a lot better then the first 20 some games, and better then she ever shot over an entire season at Iowa from three.......
I will also say, and there’s absolutely no way to prove this, but I believe it’s made a huge difference in HER shot to have Kelsey and Lexie (and even Dantas just a little) as so much more reliable options. Obviously it’s getting her a little more open, but I think the psychological aspect of not having to be the ONLY one scoring out there has taken some of the pressure off that had to be there when Wallace and KLS kept laying brick after brick after brick. And of course the break giving her her legs back.

Now, if they could bring in one more weapon from three for next season—holy sh!t.

Exactly. Hell of a list of players. All HOF players correct? You suppose that people complained about their turnovers, or accepted them for their mastery? Even here, on this website, people can't see the forest for the trees when it comes to Clark. She's just different. You take the little bit of bad with the enormous amount of great, and yet some want to focus on the bad. Nothing new under the sun....
Yep. All players who touch the ball more than anybody else on their team. The offense goes through their hands.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT