ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Caitlin/Fever/Kate/Meg Games Mega Thread***

Rich Eisen was making this point yesterday on his podcast, i.e., fans love villains, bitter rivalries (something he says the NBA is missing these days). While it could be true in the short run, I think people tire of watching that type of basketball and long term it will be a negative. Rivalries, yes, the other stuff, no.
They love hating villains and watching them lose, so there is a difference.

And I agree that long term it's not a viable option, however I also want to add that this isn't something that will work if it's manufactured like Angel Reese has been trying to do since the NCG.

The Bulls had their rivalry with the Pistons until they overcame them. And then several teams tried to fill that void and never really came close. There were the Knicks, and then the Magic and Pacers but nothing reached what the late '80s Pistons were to the MJ Bulls.

But all those heated matchups came naturally and organically, and weren't forced upon Jordan and the Bulls by any one player or the media for the sake of generating hype.

Reactions: BrotherHawkeye

And I agree that long term it's not a viable option, however I also want to add that this isn't something that will work if it's manufactured like Angel Reese has been trying to do since the NCG.

The Bulls had their rivalry with the Pistons until they overcame them. And then several teams tried to fill that void and never really came close. There were the Knicks, and then the Magic and Pacers but nothing reached what the late '80s Pistons were to the MJ Bulls.

But all those heated matchups came naturally and organically, and weren't forced upon Jordan and the Bulls by any one player or the media for the sake of generating hype.
The Lakers and Celtics also had that at one time, but it doesn't exist anymore, either. The NBA tried to rekindle that, but it fell flat. Maybe free agency/mobility of the players has killed that in the NBA.

Agree with much of this. Quality of play is also a factor. Those were all some great and entertaining teams to watch. The WNBA… not so much.

The Lakers and Celtics also had that at one time, but it doesn't exist anymore, either. The NBA tried to rekindle that, but it fell flat. Maybe free agency/mobility of the players has killed that in the NBA.
There's a reason Isiah wasn't on the Dream Team. It was because MJ hated him for how much the Pistons pounded on him in the 80s.

The players today are mostly friends with each other all around the league. That leads to fewer fights, fewer ugly fouls, and free agents forming super teams. I don't know that free agency is the cause of it, but free agency has definitely allowed it to happen.

I think the super teams killed that in the NBA. The Heat and Warriors accumulated a lot of talent and left the rest of the league with good teams but no one that really stood out.

Now it seems to better dispersed again but there isn’t a villain type out there.
Thanks to Lebron and his mercenary friends, MJ, Bird and Magic knew that their rivalries fueled the league and fan interest. Its hard to care at all about todays players. Here one year and off to buy another ring somewhere else the next. To me Lebrons rings are meaningless stacked against the greats of the past.....

Thanks to Lebron and his mercenary friends, MJ, Bird and Magic knew that their rivalries fueled the league and fan interest. Its hard to care at all about todays players. Here one year and off to buy another ring somewhere else the next. To me Lebrons rings are meaningless stacked against the greats of the past.....
Was it Wade, Bosh and LeBron who formed the first free agent "super team"? I don't remember if Bosh was already in Miami and LeBron joined them or if Bosh and LeBron came at the same time. That did seem to become more of a thing in the recent past than what I remember from before, but a lot of that history compresses in time for me, so I could be way off.

Was it Wade, Bosh and LeBron who formed the first free agent "super team"? I don't remember if Bosh was already in Miami and LeBron joined them or if Bosh and LeBron came at the same time. That did seem to become more of a thing in the recent past than what I remember from before, but a lot of that history compresses in time for me, so I could be way off.
I just remember MJ commenting on what a farce it was, that these stars would all join on one team to BUY titles. He knew how meaningful those rings were, when you had Magics Lakers, Birds Celtics, and the Bad boys in the motor city. Throw in Philly, and Houston. Hell Atlanta with Nique. Just IMHO, but Lebrons rings and record seem hollow considering the way he whored himself around the league.

• Haha
Reactions: WDSMHAWK
Yes it was....

Check out this clown's history. The turkey needs to be sent back to Turkey.

GPGUqgzXQAAOvWM

Source:

She's like an ugly Draymond Green

Rich Eisen was making this point yesterday on his podcast, i.e., fans love villains, bitter rivalries (something he says the NBA is missing these days). While it could be true in the short run, I think people tire of watching that type of basketball and long term it will be a negative. Rivalries, yes, the other stuff, no.
Disagree completely. I think these issues of quality are short term. The eyes on the league will elevate the level of play, especially as Clark's teams and performance ascends, not to mention the next wave of stars including Watkins, Bueckers on the horizon.

I just remember MJ commenting on what a farce it was, that these stars would all join on one team to BUY titles. He knew how meaningful those rings were, when you had Magics Lakers, Birds Celtics, and the Bad boys in the motor city. Throw in Philly, and Houston. Hell Atlanta with Nique. Just IMHO, but Lebrons rings and record seem hollow considering the way he whored himself around the league.
That's dumb. I am a diehard 90s Bulls fan - ride or die. But they brought in Rodman and Kukoc. Not sure how that's different from Bosh and Wade.

Reactions: littlez
Disagree completely. I think these issues of quality are short term. The eyes on the league will elevate the level of play, especially as Clark's teams and performance ascends, not to mention the next wave of stars including Watkins, Bueckers on the horizon.
I don't know if I disagree, there's just something about how Reese is approaching this that seems off. It feels like she's trying too hard. Villians become villians because of their play on the court. Look at Bill Lambeer. He was a villian for dirty play. And then when you asked him about it he would just say, "Yeah, wtf are you going to do about it?" (Ok, maybe not those words but something to that effect). Reese jumped out with the stupid taunting at the national championship game and then gets mouthy on social media. It seems very planned.

I don't know if I disagree, there's just something about how Reese is approaching this that seems off. It feels like she's trying too hard. Villians become villians because of their play on the court. Look at Bill Lambeer. He was a villian for dirty play. And then when you asked him about it he would just say, "Yeah, wtf are you going to do about it?" (Ok, maybe not those words but something to that effect). Reese jumped out with the stupid taunting at the national championship game and then gets mouthy on social media. It seems very planned.
Reese blows

Reactions: IGot5onIt
Reese is basically the jealous girl that lost out on Prom Queen and ran on stage, yanked the winner down by the hair and took her crown and demanded that everyone recognize her as Queen instead.

And the sad thing is in our society nowadays, that's what a lot of people are doing...............

Reese is basically the jealous girl that lost out on Prom Queen and ran on stage, yanked the winner down by the hair and took her crown and demanded that everyone recognize her as Queen instead.

And the sad thing is in our society nowadays, that's what a lot of people are doing...............
Says the guy ripping someone he's never met anonymously on the internet.

Look in the mirror folks. The problem may just lie within.

Fever play the winless Mystics next, looks like they'll have a back to back playing Chicago the day before. Not sure there's a better scenario for a win.

Reactions: hawkeye_wx
Yes, the Fever are not good. However, it's worth remembering that more than half of the Fever's games have been against three of the four best teams in the league. Five of their eleven games have been against the Liberty and Sun, who are a combined 17-2.

This is probably the best description right here.

Says the guy ripping someone he's never met anonymously on the internet.

Look in the mirror folks. The problem may just lie within.
Based on her public behavior, we don't need to meet her to see who she is, or at least who she wants us to think she is. It's a weird flex if being a douchebag is what she wants people to remember her for, but to each their own I guess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT