ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Chicago Bears #1 overall draft pick thread***

Yeah, I heard it discussed on 670 on the way home from work yesterday.

The predicted compensation for Fields seems a little underwhelming.
When Fields plays well against Atlanta in a few weeks that'll probably turn into their 1st.
I still don't think they don't do it unless they suck the last 4 games. This team is ready to win in 2025 and starting over with a rookie qb will kill any momentum they've created.

When Fields plays well against Atlanta in a few weeks that'll probably turn into their 1st.
I still don't think they don't do it unless they suck the last 4 games. This team is ready to win in 2025 and starting over with a rookie qb will kill any momentum they've created.
I think they'll be ready to win next year. Defense has already improved tremendously and the line is one piece of away from being a top 10 unit. Especially with a lot of draft picks and cap space.

I still say pick up his 5th year option.. its not a crazy amount of money. Trade #1 for a king's ransom to a team that could possibly have another high pick in the next draft (or two)

I know Biggs has been saying that for a while and Charles Robinson made reference to the other GMs.. but he also said the Bears won't be picking up the 5th year option. How would he possibly know that? Poles doesn't leak anything whatsoever. That's where I found this whole story to be questionable.

It's important to not suffer from Trubisky Syndrome and think your QB is great after torching the Lions. They played a real defense today, and it was abysmal.

Eberflus needs to go.

All of a sudden Carolina is only a game worse than the other bottom feeders.

Here's my dream scenario...

Keep Fields, Eberflus, and Poles. Replace Getsy.

Trade the #1 pick to New England for the #3 pick, a 1st rounder next year, and a 2nd rounder this year (at minimum). New England will be in full rebuild mode, so that should be a top 5 pick next year.

#3) Marvin Harrison Jr.
#9) Best OT available
2nd round) Best DL available
3rd round) Center from Oregon or Georgia
4-7 rounds) Defense, defense, defense

We also have a lot of cap space to fill holes. IMO, this scenario gives us a chance to compete for the playoffs in 2024 and beyond. Drafting Caleb Williams and resetting the clock means we likely don't compete until 2026.

You can't just "draft a QB next year" when you have the first overall pick.
You can when you are not sold on any QB in this year's draft class. I am not sold on Caleb Williams. Screams bust. Even if he does turn out good, the safe play for the Bears is more draft picks that are needed to continue to build up the talent on the roster. Use the Niners blueprint. Deep, talented team surrounding a serviceable QB.

Reading this entire thread, the consensus amongst us fans appears to be to trade that #1 pick, get MHJ, do not pick Caleb Williams, and to ride Justin Fields for another year or two.

I think the two big things the Bears must do is trade down for more picks and make sure they get MHJ. What they do with Fields, I don't know. They could trade him and bring in a journeyman QB for a few years to fill the gap and draft/develop a QB later in the draft.

Are there any Brock Purdy type QBs in this year's draft to be had in the later rounds? How about the chances of getting Jake Browning from Cincinnati? I actually do like Bagent, wonder if he could be the Bear's Purdy.

Reactions: hawkeyez
Reading this entire thread, the consensus amongst us fans appears to be to trade that #1 pick, get MHJ, do not pick Caleb Williams, and to ride Justin Fields for another year or two.

I think the two big things the Bears must do is trade down for more picks and make sure they get MHJ. What they do with Fields, I don't know. They could trade him and bring in a journeyman QB for a few years to fill the gap and draft/develop a QB later in the draft.

Are there any Brock Purdy type QBs in this year's draft to be had in the later rounds? How about the chances of getting Jake Browning from Cincinnati? I actually do like Bagent, wonder if he could be the Bear's Purdy.

My biggest concern is that Poles ignores the OLine and focuses on the defense. The Packers exposed the OLine badly yesterday.

However, if Rome Odunze is sitting there at #9 would the Bears consider doubling down on WR in the top 10? DJ, MHJ, and Odunze would be the best WR trio in the league next year.

I like what I saw out of Bagent this year, but I'm not opposed to taking a late round flyer on a developmental QB.

I was all for running it back until yesterday. Hate to make a decision that feels like its about one game, but the bears were completely outclassed in the coaching dept vs GB. This combined with the 3 horrible 4th qtr collapses and the messes at coordinators and position coaches can't be ignored.
I'd shit can them all, bring in Brian Johnson from Detroit and see if we can take that next step. Flus is always going to have a low ceiling being an old school D coord guy that lacks imagination and creativity.
Fields - pick up 5th year option and plan on him being the guy for at least next 2 years. Look at some of the qbs in the playoffs right now and tell me you can't make a run with someone like Fields with the right cast around him.
Trade back from 1 and stockpile talent. Look at the weapons we had on the field yesterday. Aside from Moore and Fields and maybe Kmet, there wasn't an above average nfl player on the field on offense. I want MH Jr but we need more than just him and another impact guy at #9. I'd settle for Nabors, the best OL/DL at 9 and best available for whatever else we can get for sliding back if needed.
Invest in both lines in both the draft and FA. An average GB team dominated the LOS. Guys we think are good just aren't good enough, i.e. Teven Jenkins and Braxton Jones especially. The left side got worked all game. We also need a center that doesn't get ragdolled constantly and can snap the fuvking ball.
Replace Eddie Jackson. Awful tackler, makes zero plays in the passing game, and is the weak link in the back end.
Extend Jaylon Johnson. This regime seems dead set on taking these hard line approaches to retaining their own talented players and its going to sink them if they don't fix it. This isn't KC. We don't already have a contending roster from top to bottom that can absorb losses.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Agree that my plan has softened by the performance vs packers.

It is tempting to go scorched earth and try to find one of those coaches off the Mike shanahan tree.
Miami, 49ers,Vikings,Rams,have all done well w offensive guys at the helm.
I still lean towards keeping fields, swapping picks with NE , grabbing Harrison and Alt/PSU guy in 1st round and getting NE 1st next year.
Fill dtackle and center needs in later rounds and draft Eric All in late round or as free agent.
Bagent is solid as backup.

Reactions: DeangeloVickers
Not sure about changing the coaching staff...again. Nagy got 3 years but he had to go. Eberflus has had two years and has been an improvement. The Bears have gotten better under him. The Bears roster needs more talent, we need an OL, we need playmakers. That's why I don't think Fields has had a fair shot. Dude has been running for his life and has had near zero weapons his entire time here and has not had the stability in the coaching staff.

People today are saying Fields played bad yesterday. He didn't play bad, stat line of 11/16 for 148 yards, 0 INTs, O TDs, QBR of 97.9, but he also didn't play outstanding. Oh, he also got sacked 5 times and was under pressure all day. That's not a bad stat line when you are playing without an OL protecting you. Key stat while under all that pressure was zero turnovers.

Play the Commanders and Pats off each other that the pick is up for the largest bid. Trade to the Commanders. The Commanders have 2 second and 2 third round picks this year. To get the hometown kid Caleb Williams it's a 1st swap this year, plus a second and third this year, plus a first next year. Make that trade. The Commanders have the draft capital to make that trade since they have two each in the 2nd and 3rd. So they aren't "out" a ton and still have a second and a third, plus they get hometown kid Caleb Williams.

Then tell the Pats you are going to take Maye. Tell them you'll trade picks for a second this year and their first next year.

The Bears then would have the #3 and #9 this year, plus 2 seconds this year (they don't have one, but get the Commanders and Pats), plus 2 thirds this year (theirs and the Commanders), plus three 1's next year (theirs, the Commanders, and the Pats).

Then the Bears take MHJ with the #3.

Play the Commanders and Pats off each other that the pick is up for the largest bid. Trade to the Commanders. The Commanders have 2 second and 2 third round picks this year. To get the hometown kid Caleb Williams it's a 1st swap this year, plus a second and third this year, plus a first next year. Make that trade. The Commanders have the draft capital to make that trade since they have two each in the 2nd and 3rd. So they aren't "out" a ton and still have a second and a third, plus they get hometown kid Caleb Williams.

Then tell the Pats you are going to take Maye. Tell them you'll trade picks for a second this year and their first next year.

The Bears then would have the #3 and #9 this year, plus 2 seconds this year (they don't have one, but get the Commanders and Pats), plus 2 thirds this year (theirs and the Commanders), plus three 1's next year (theirs, the Commanders, and the Pats).

They will also most likely get an extra 3rd this and next year. Cunningham will probably get a GM job.

I’m leaning towards taking Williams even though it would be difficult giving up all that draft capital. Honestly, I want Poles to really like one of the other QBs more than the top 2 guys, trade for all those picks and then draft his qb.

Yes. Do this.

Unfortunately I think the Bears are now in a position they have to roll the dice again and take Williams.

I think it’s probable that he busts….BUT given Fields has shown he is not the franchise QB….and our history at the position….cant risk passing on another Mahomes or Stroud and still be searching for a QB in a couple of years.

Reactions: drew_hawk
Unfortunately I think the Bears are now in a position they have to roll the dice again and take Williams.

I think it’s probable that he busts….BUT given Fields has shown he is not the franchise QB….and our history at the position….cant risk passing on another Mahomes or Stroud and still be searching for a QB in a couple of years.
The Bears being the Bears will probably go with Penix....who is obviously a bust waiting to happen.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
I’m leaning towards taking Williams even though it would be difficult giving up all that draft capital. Honestly, I want Poles to really like one of the other QBs more than the top 2 guys, trade for all those picks and then draft his qb.
What do you think the Bears could get for fields

I was a keep Fields + trade down and get MHJ person but I've switched over to drafting Caleb Williams and getting a new coach.

Reactions: Mat_Hawks
I am wavering but still in the keep fields and build the team mode right now.
Best teams this year is 49ers and Ravens.
Purdy is a 7th rounder.
49ers loaded up at other positions.
Left tackle would make a bigger impact on bears next season over QB. When fields is given time to throw he is fine.
Lamar Jackson is having a great year ...his o-line is excellent.
I honestly believe that fields could step into Lamar's spot and Ravens would be fine. ...they are the same guy, really, cept for experience.
Build the team...then win with a solid QB.

I was in the keep Fields and trade down camp. The more that I sit on it, the more I think they should get Williams. Fields is more of a freak athlete but is not anywhere near the thrower that Williams is. Williams has much better vision on plays that break down and is always keeping his eyes up for the throw (Mahomes).

Reactions: Tom Paris
What do you think the Bears could get for fields

I'm guessing a 2nd rounder is the best we could get for Fields.

I keep seeing stuff online from Steelers and Falcons fans saying they can get him for a 5th rounder. No way Poles gives him away for that little, IMO.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I am wavering but still in the keep fields and build the team mode right now.
Best teams this year is 49ers and Ravens.
Purdy is a 7th rounder.
49ers loaded up at other positions.
Left tackle would make a bigger impact on bears next season over QB. When fields is given time to throw he is fine.
Lamar Jackson is having a great year ...his o-line is excellent.
I honestly believe that fields could step into Lamar's spot and Ravens would be fine. ...they are the same guy, really, cept for experience.
Build the team...then win with a solid QB.
People give too much credit for Purdy's success to the other players. Yeah, that helps a ton, but don't forget they have one of the best coaches in the league. The Bears have... literally no one for the offensive coaching staff.

Now that Getsy is gone. Who should they hire as OC?

I think Kellen Moore should probably be your top target. I saw someone on Twitter bring up Kliff Kingsbury if you draft Williams. Going to be an interesting off season.

I'm guessing a 2nd rounder is the best we could get for Fields.

I keep seeing stuff online from Steelers and Falcons fans saying they can get him for a 5th rounder. No way Poles gives him away for that little, IMO.
I’m saying this, if they have the cap space, they could legit get upgrades across the defensive front and secondary, adding a receiver and lineman in the draft has them in the playoffs. Hell. The games agains Detroit, Cleveland and Denver were wins that had them in

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I am so not sold on the Caleb Williams hype. I am naturally fearful of all QBs that came up through the Lincoln Riley system.
It happens year. Some QB is hyped to the max (Actually, more than one QB every year), and they go bust. The Patriots drafted Mac Jones a few years ago, and they are looking to maybe deal with the Bears to get their next QB of the future.

Riley's system churns out Heisman QBs:
Kyle's Murray
Baker Mayfield
Caleb Williams
Mixed results in NFL from the 1st two.
Watching USC in the bowl vs Louisville they had a frosh QB step in and throw 7 td passes and rack up 500 yards so Williams who is very good but smallish., might not be that special.
Hire Riley..then draft Williams.

Reactions: DeangeloVickers
Riley's system churns out Heisman QBs:
Kyle's Murray
Baker Mayfield
Caleb Williams
Mixed results in NFL from the 1st two.
Watching USC in the bowl vs Louisville they had a frosh QB step in and throw 7 td passes and rack up 500 yards so Williams who is very good but smallish., might not be that special.
Hire Riley..then draft Williams.
Don't forget Spencer Rattler. I guess there is still time for him...

People give too much credit for Purdy's success to the other players. Yeah, that helps a ton, but don't forget they have one of the best coaches in the league. The Bears have... literally no one for the offensive coaching staff.
Look at Purdy’s stats when Trent Williams was out. The 49ers have a ton of weapons, but the biggest thing is Purdy isn’t running for his life. He has a 1st ballot HOF left tackle and the rest of the line is sound.

I’m saying this, if they have the cap space, they could legit get upgrades across the defensive front and secondary, adding a receiver and lineman in the draft has them in the playoffs. Hell. The games agains Detroit, Cleveland and Denver were wins that had them in
Other than Jackson, the secondary is set for years to come. With depth.

Not sure why people keeping saying trade down to get MHJ. He's doing 1 or 2 in the draft.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT