ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2018 thread*****

I switched over from the Bears and I heard JD say, “3-0”. Pleasantly surprised it was the Cubs who put up more than one run.

Reactions: TheCainer
He was dead last on the team in WAR on May 15.
It's still hard to imagine how he still ranks behind Contreras, Zobrist, and Bryant though, especially Contreras as 2nd and Bryant who has missed so much time to injury. He's tied for 8th in the NL in RBIs going in to tonight.

It's still hard to imagine how he still ranks behind Contreras, Zobrist, and Bryant though, especially Contreras as 2nd and Bryant who has missed so much time to injury. He's tied for 8th in the NL in RBIs going in to tonight.

He plays 1st, the average offensive production from first basemen is much higher than catcher and 3rd too.

Reactions: Radar3454
I'm just going over the numbers.

Magic Number is 10.
Cubs have 12 games remaining.
Brewers have 11 games remaining.
Cubs have a .587 winning percentage with a .500 percentage the last 10 games.
Brewers have a .570 winning percentage with a .700 percentage the last 10 games.

Using mathematical trends the Cubs should be able to clinch the division by going 7-5 (.583) over their remaining 12, a feasible record given their season winning percentage of .587. This assumes the Brewers keep winning at their current .700 pace (8-3, actually .727), which is a pretty good pace and above their season average. I don't think the Brewers can keep up that pace, or exceed it, if they do they have earned it. I'm actually thinking the Cubs could go .500, possibly one game under .500, and still clinch, but it's better to go out and win the division title than it is to back into the division title. Besides, it would be nice to push right now to finish this ASAP in order to get some R&R before the playoffs start.

I'm just going over the numbers.

Magic Number is 10.
Cubs have 12 games remaining.
Brewers have 11 games remaining.
Cubs have a .587 winning percentage with a .500 percentage the last 10 games.
Brewers have a .570 winning percentage with a .700 percentage the last 10 games.

Using mathematical trends the Cubs should be able to clinch the division by going 7-5 (.583) over their remaining 12, a feasible record given their season winning percentage of .587. This assumes the Brewers keep winning at their current .700 pace (8-3, actually .727), which is a pretty good pace and above their season average. I don't think the Brewers can keep up that pace, or exceed it, if they do they have earned it. I'm actually thinking the Cubs could go .500, possibly one game under .500, and still clinch, but it's better to go out and win the division title than it is to back into the division title. Besides, it would be nice to push right now to finish this ASAP in order to get some R&R before the playoffs start.
If you look at the brewers schedule it is not that hard to believe they could go 8-3. We need to keep winning!

Reactions: cigaretteman
They haven’t been able to beat the pirates so far and have 3 with St. Louis. I would be pretty surprised if they go 8-3.
they also weren't able to beat the cubs before but ended up winning the last 2 series.
previous results mean nothing

Morrow done for year --- not good. If Stop doesn't get back to the playoffs, going to be interesting to see how Madden handles this during the playoffs.

Split the remaining two with the Dbacks, then sweep the White Sox. Let's take stock then.

JD just called another one.
Kudos to Rizzo for stretching out the spot starter for the Dbacks. 30+ pitches in the first inning. Two in the dirt that Javy somehow laid off of, and then he left one out over the plate for Javy to drive.

Now, if this offense shows up the rest of the way I'll feel a lot better about wrapping things up in short order, and on the Cubs terms. No worries about who anyone else plays. Just knock the ball out of the park and win, Baby.

Milwaukee just lost.
The magic number is down to 9. There is a long way to go in this one, but with a big lead, and Hendricks strong performance last night there should be plenty of arms to call upon when Montgomery starts to tire. This puts the Cubs in control of their own destiny. They can have the MN at 8 by the end of the night.

I posted those numbers earlier today not as a countdown, rather to show that all the Cubs have to do is play average baseball to clinch.

It was more personal therapy for me to type it out.

At the exact same time as the Brewers were losing Molina was unloading the bags. Baseball down the stretch is fun to watch. So much going on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT