ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2019 thread*****

Also the way he embraced the incredible amount of pressure that the curse brought. Dusty and Lou couldn’t handle it, Joe took it on head on and shielded the players from a lot of it.

I also think the complaints about his bullpen management are way overblown, the Cubs finished 8th, 8th, 6th and 2nd in bullpen ERA prior to this year without ever having a collection of big time relievers. A lot of fans who think all the bullpens struggles are due to Joe are most likely in for a rude awakening next year.

Completely agree on both points. In addition to the World Series title, Maddon led the Cubs to five consecutive winning seasons, which has not occurred since six consecutive seasons from 1967-1972. He set a new standard for winning consistently that most Cubs fans have never experienced.

I understand why it is time for the next era and look forward to the new manager, but Joe will always be revered by me for his success in Chicago.

I am sad to see joe go, I know people disagree but I don’t think they win in 2016 without him. Nope, he wasn’t perfect but the way he changed the attitude of the team in 2015 was so important.

I think, in a lot of ways, he set the tone the Cubs needed from 2015-2017. Other managers certainly could have won with those rosters, but at a time when history would beat down on the team, he kept things loose.

I'm sad to see this page turn, buy it needed to turn. I will always love Joe, but this team needs a new voice.....not because Thro needs a scapegoat. Theo has his own mess to fix and a new manager is just step 1.

Reactions: dgordo
The Pirates fired Hurdle also, wrong guy, should have been Huntington, Plus they have Nutting a cheap ass owner. Nothing will change in the burgh.

Last edited:
I think, in a lot of ways, he set the tone the Cubs needed from 2015-2017. Other managers certainly could have won with those rosters, but at a time when history would beat down on the team, he kept things loose.

I'm sad to see this page turn, buy it needed to turn. I will always love Joe, but this team needs a new voice.....not because Thro needs a scapegoat. Theo has his own mess to fix and a new manager is just step 1.

Do you think he can fix his mess without asking Tom for more money to cover his ineptitude?

Theo is not a guy who sustains success. He's won 3 division titles in 17 years, both at the helm of two of the richest MLB franchises.

I heard a podcast from Cubs Insider where they eviscerated Theo, and one of the things they were angry about was Theo's October press conference where he promised a season of reckoning,. and hinted that Joe's laid back approach needed to change. He made Joe a lame duck right then and there.

Ricketts should hold a PC tomorrow and complain about how he's spending way more money on salaries and front office personnel than STL and MKE, and they couldn't make the playoffs. He should also talk about how he wishes the Cubs could be like Houston and LA, continuing to develop talent while contending.

And finally, Tom should tell Theo that McLeod needs to go, because being worthless at your job should not be tolerated.

Reactions: MitchLL
They need to find a manager that doesn't overestimate the talent of the current roster and a manager that doesn't change leadoff hitters every other game.

Maddon managed most of the year like he didn't want to be in Chicago. Pity the next guy, though... this team has a lot, I mean a lot, of holes to plug.

Welp, season's over for Chicago...maybe an end of an era too.

Absolutely nothing whatsoever to be angry or disappointed about, Cub fans. 2/3 the franchises in MLB would kill for your past 5 years. Big time kudos to your franchise, helluva run.

See you in the 2020 thread, and thanks for being good sports.

Cubs tried to give the cry baby Brewers, who love the piece of human excrement Ryan Braun, a chance by winning 2 of 3 and they pissed it down their legs against the Rockies. lulz.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
Do you think he can fix his mess without asking Tom for more money to cover his ineptitude?

Theo is not a guy who sustains success. He's won 3 division titles in 17 years, both at the helm of two of the richest MLB franchises.

I heard a podcast from Cubs Insider where they eviscerated Theo, and one of the things they were angry about was Theo's October press conference where he promised a season of reckoning,. and hinted that Joe's laid back approach needed to change. He made Joe a lame duck right then and there.

Ricketts should hold a PC tomorrow and complain about how he's spending way more money on salaries and front office personnel than STL and MKE, and they couldn't make the playoffs. He should also talk about how he wishes the Cubs could be like Houston and LA, continuing to develop talent while contending.

And finally, Tom should tell Theo that McLeod needs to go, because being worthless at your job should not be tolerated.

We'll see what he can do, but his leash is getting shorter by the minute.

They need to find a manager that doesn't overestimate the talent of the current roster and a manager that doesn't change leadoff hitters every other game.

Maddon managed most of the year like he didn't want to be in Chicago. Pity the next guy, though... this team has a lot, I mean a lot, of holes to plug.

In fairness, the manager needs to be given a leadoff hitter. Maddon sdidnt change leadoff guys when they had Fowler.

Reactions: MitchLL and dgordo
I am sad to see joe go, I know people disagree but I don’t think they win in 2016 without him. Nope, he wasn’t perfect but the way he changed the attitude of the team in 2015 was so important.
Not solely to DGORDO, but is Joe the best Cubs manager of your fandom?
Did Joe win where other's could not? Or, did he simply have the best roster of anyone in your era as a fan?

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Did Joe win where other's could not? Or, did he simply have the best roster of anyone in your era as a fan?

He did have the best roster of my lifetime, but there's more than that. Joe definitely helped them get through the finish.

yes, best cubs manager during my life. I think other cubs teams had as much if not more talent but this roster wasn’t far behind. I still think they made more talent from like 2003-2009.

The Cubs down fall the last two years is directly related to the off season. Throwing money at a few high priced guys instead of spreading the risk around.
Damn joe had us playing bad ball in september and cost us the past 2 years!

I don't really agree with that but will laugh at anyone who argues it but then was crediting joe for great septembers in the past :)

Reactions: dgordo

Speaking of the redturds.....why the hell do they get small market benefits but are allowed to spend as much as they want? I think these small market teams need to have a lower threshold than the big market teams! Seems like some BS to me. If you have money to spend, then obviously you don't need to extra help!

As for winning in $$ clubs, how often does a team win the WS and have a payroll in the bottom half of the league? What about outside the top 5 payrolls that year? Too lazy to look up, sure it happens but can't imagine it's that common.

Theo hasn't done great lately, no doubt but I think it's hilarious to see the "it's theo, not joe" crowd. They are probably the same ones that think joe gets all the credit for the teams theo built from 2015-17.

or IF joe doesn't pull kyle it doesn't matter

that "IF" game? :)

My point is, there are a million things that could have happened. We base decisions on the history we have.

If Harry Frazee doesn't sell Babe Ruth to the Yankees, probably all of baseball history is completely different.

My point is, there are a million things that could have happened. We base decisions on the history we have.

If Harry Frazee doesn't sell Babe Ruth to the Yankees, probably all of baseball history is completely different.
You failure! You were suppose to say if he doesn't pull kyle then rossy doesn't get his HR :).

That said, my point is theo deserves at least as much credit as joe does.
Joe is so special that he's gonna have them where they were if theo doesn't get hendricks, jake, rizzo etc.

To me the bottom line is i HATE seeing maddons lineups and I'm glad I won't have to see another. It is NOT Joes fault that they never got him a real lead off hitter, but it is joes fault that he thinks its wise to bat rizzo lead off and zobrist clean up, or have the pitcher hitting 8th or having schwarber leading off etc

You failure! You were suppose to say if he doesn't pull kyle then rossy doesn't get his HR :).

That said, my point is theo deserves at least as much credit as joe does.
Joe is so special that he's gonna have them where they were if theo doesn't get hendricks, jake, rizzo etc.

To me the bottom line is i HATE seeing maddons lineups and I'm glad I won't have to see another. It is NOT Joes fault that they never got him a real lead off hitter, but it is joes fault that he thinks its wise to bat rizzo lead off and zobrist clean up, or have the pitcher hitting 8th or having schwarber leading off etc

Good thing the next manager will do nothing but run out perfect lineups every game, between that and his ability to perfectly handle a bullpen we should be looking at winning about 120 games next season.

Good thing the next manager will do nothing but run out perfect lineups every game, between that and his ability to perfectly handle a bullpen we should be looking at winning about 120 games next season.
well I'm just hoping he doesn't think he is smarter than nearly every other manager in baseball. You know, kinda like our last manager.

you seriously have no issues with some of the lineups joe put out there? Seriously? good for you I guess...

Reactions: CuttyDoesIt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT