ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2019 thread*****

You failure! You were suppose to say if he doesn't pull kyle then rossy doesn't get his HR :).

That said, my point is theo deserves at least as much credit as joe does.
Joe is so special that he's gonna have them where they were if theo doesn't get hendricks, jake, rizzo etc.

To me the bottom line is i HATE seeing maddons lineups and I'm glad I won't have to see another. It is NOT Joes fault that they never got him a real lead off hitter, but it is joes fault that he thinks its wise to bat rizzo lead off and zobrist clean up, or have the pitcher hitting 8th or having schwarber leading off etc

No disagreement on any of this. I thought you were going in another direction. So many things contributed. Theo and Joe both share a ton of credit and blame. Theo brought some amazing pieces together with shrewd moves, happy player development and some luck. He also has had imperfect teams with holes that, at least in the past couple years, proved to be fatal flaws.

Joe did an amazing job helping the 2015 team grow and the 2016 navigate the suffocating weight of 108 years and for his first 3 years, his teams were substantially better in the 2nd half than in the first.....but then he's also the same manager who was only so-so late last year and who faded to the finish this season.

well I'm just hoping he doesn't think he is smarter than nearly every other manager in baseball. You know, kinda like our last manager.

you seriously have no issues with some of the lineups joe put out there? Seriously? good for you I guess...

Depends on how nitpicky we're getting. Over the course of 162 games and factoring travel days, rest for guys and injuries, every team puts out some crap lineups. Some days that's just what you get. On the whole, I didn't have massive problems with Joe's lineups consistently. I certainly didn't like them all, but that's baseball.

The bigger issue, really is the relative lack of versatility the past two seasons compared to the first three.....and the actual existence of Descalso.

According to spotrac you guys are 6th in spending.
So why are you guys getting picks along with the bottom half of baseball when you can spend like the big boys?
Makes ZERO sense.
Is this what you're referring to?

• If the team was not a revenue sharing recipient or the free agent signed for less than $50MM guaranteed, the team will receive a compensatory pick after Competitive Balance Round B, which takes place just prior to the draft’s third round. (The Competitive Balance process itself underwent some changes in the new CBA.) This is essentially the “default” compensation for teams losing QO free agents, since most teams won’t meet either of the following two sets of criteria.
  • If the team losing the player received revenue sharing in the previous season and the free agent signed a deal at least $50MM in guaranteed money, the team will receive a compensatory pick after the first round of the draft. According to MLB Network’s Jon Morosi (hat tip to MLB.com’s Anthony Castrovince), 16 teams are revenue-sharing recipients and could qualify for the higher pick — the Astros, Athletics, Braves, Brewers, Diamondbacks, Indians, Mariners, Marlins, Orioles, Padres, Pirates, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Royals and Twins. (It’s worth noting that the new CBA specifies that Oakland will be gradually phased out as a revenue-sharing recipient over the next two seasons.)
  • If the team paid the luxury tax in the previous season, the team will receive a compensatory pick after the fourth round of the draft.
Do you see the Cardinals mentioned here?

Is this what you're referring to?

• If the team was not a revenue sharing recipient or the free agent signed for less than $50MM guaranteed, the team will receive a compensatory pick after Competitive Balance Round B, which takes place just prior to the draft’s third round. (The Competitive Balance process itself underwent some changes in the new CBA.) This is essentially the “default” compensation for teams losing QO free agents, since most teams won’t meet either of the following two sets of criteria.
  • If the team losing the player received revenue sharing in the previous season and the free agent signed a deal at least $50MM in guaranteed money, the team will receive a compensatory pick after the first round of the draft. According to MLB Network’s Jon Morosi (hat tip to MLB.com’s Anthony Castrovince), 16 teams are revenue-sharing recipients and could qualify for the higher pick — the Astros, Athletics, Braves, Brewers, Diamondbacks, Indians, Mariners, Marlins, Orioles, Padres, Pirates, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Royals and Twins. (It’s worth noting that the new CBA specifies that Oakland will be gradually phased out as a revenue-sharing recipient over the next two seasons.)
  • If the team paid the luxury tax in the previous season, the team will receive a compensatory pick after the fourth round of the draft.
Do you see the Cardinals mentioned here?

the cardinals get an extra pick in round b

Ultimately, the bottom line matters. The Cubs won their Game 7 in 2016, and the Dodgers lost theirs after Yu Darvish failed to make it out of the 2nd inning, just like Game 3.

I think where people bring the Dodgers into this is that they are in MUCH better shape organizationally than the Cubs. Heck, they still have a top 10 farm system, and are a player development machine.

The very best Presidents/GM’s are those who can win a title, but also those who win their division a majority of the time. This is why John Schuerholtz of the Braves is the best baseball exec of our time.

So, what do you think of the whole Astros cheating vs Darvish thing from 2017.

Good time to mention as it snows heavily in IC that the Cubs convention started today. Lot's of good Cubs content on the Score with interviews of Jed Hoyer and David Ross. I thought the interview with Ross on the Lawrence Holmes show was particularly good.
I thought Hoyer made some interesting points about how people were expecting that the ball might "behave differently", this year. He was pretty complimentary of adding Andy Green to assist Ross. Dan Bernstine asked him pointedly about Kimbrel, and will he suck again this year. Hoyer said he'd looked kinda good a few times, and then went on to talk about all the high upside arms they have in the bullpen. High upside I think is GM talk for cheap, and unproven.

Reactions: TheCainer
BN and BCB both have pieces up concerning the rumors that the Cubs are kicking the tires on Jacoby Ellsbury.
Hard pass.

BN and BCB both have pieces up concerning the rumors that the Cubs are kicking the tires on Jacoby Ellsbury.
Hard pass.

giphy.gif

Reactions: lucas80
So, what do you think of the whole Astros cheating vs Darvish thing from 2017.

This certainly changes things. While only God knows the true effect of the Astros cheating, they certainly were using their scheme to know what pitches Darvish was throwing them in Game 3.

Yu's poor start in Game 3 had a huge impact on that series. Not only did they lose that game, but they had to burn their bullpen, which simply ran out of gas.

Game 7 is a different story, but perhaps Yu was mentally broken by what happened in Game 3.

There is no question that it impacted his free agent market, and likely hurt his performance for his first 1.5 seasons as a Cub.

Unfortunately, a number of opposing players were hurt by the Astros cheating. Yu Darvish was probably hurt the most.

Reactions: Im4Iowa
I still can not figure out how players are not going to be punished. Plus the owner is okay with these results. He got his World Series and 5 mil to him is pocket change. The consequences for the team in the long run will be very little.

I still can not figure out how players are not going to be punished. Plus the owner is okay with these results. He got his World Series and 5 mil to him is pocket change. The consequences for the team in the long run will be very little.

The lost draft picks will certainly hurt.

To your point about the players, I am wondering if they were offered “immunity” to testify for the investigation.

To your point about the players, I am wondering if they were offered “immunity” to testify for the investigation.
Eventually it would hurt but not a lot in the scheme of things. They probably will be picking in the back of those rounds. Not a guarantee those picks work out anyway.

That's my understanding. I've heard that from multiple places.

As for the fine, it's apparently the largest fine that can be levied per MLB's current working constitution....would agree that it's irrelevant, that's pocket change for a team owner. The draft picks are a real punishment, but the baseball draft is enough of a crapshoot and is time-deferred enough that it's hard to really see what the impact will be. It will mean 4 less top picks going into their player development machine.

Reactions: rk#5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT