ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2019 thread*****

Mills with another good outing.

Happ and Hoerner doing well in their job interviews for next season.
I have been impressed with Mills for the most part. He needs to make his move this off season or Spring to show he is something more than a career AAAA pitcher.

Reactions: mstp1992
Cubs have 8 runs/15 hits without Rizzo, Bryant, Baez, Contreras, Castellanous, Zobrist and Heyward in the lineup tonight.

Is anybody else getting a little sad that this is the end for Joe as a Cub? I have thoroughly enjoyed the games this weekend - not just because the Cubs have made the Cardinals pitch Jack Flaherty today, but also because the team is having fun.

I would like to see Joe get another contract, but Theo Epstein needs another scapegoat on which to blame this season's shortcomings. The Cubs are not making the playoffs primarily due to the failures of Theo and his friends.

Next year could be good if the following happens:

1. Very good injury fortune
2. Kris Bryant turns back the clock to when he was a better player at age 24
3. Theo wins on some trades this winter
4. Old pitching staff has a bit more left in them
5. Tom Ricketts allows Theo one more big contract for Gerrit Cole or Anthony Rendon

If at least 3 of the 5 above don't happen, the Cubs will not win the division in 2020. If that happens, Tom Ricketts must fire Theo and every last one of his buddies.

Reactions: MitchLL
Is anybody else getting a little sad that this is the end for Joe as a Cub? I have thoroughly enjoyed the games this weekend - not just because the Cubs have made the Cardinals pitch Jack Flaherty today, but also because the team is having fun.

I would like to see Joe get another contract, but Theo Epstein needs another scapegoat on which to blame this season's shortcomings. The Cubs are not making the playoffs primarily due to the failures of Theo and his friends.

Next year could be good if the following happens:

5. Tom Ricketts allows Theo one more big contract for Gerrit Cole or Anthony Rendon

If at least 3 of the 5 above don't happen, the Cubs will not win the division in 2020. If that happens, Tom Ricketts must fire Theo and every last one of his buddies.
I don’t know if I would want Joe back. I think sometimes it can be helpful to get a fresh set of ideas. Considering how the last two years have gone, it appears that maybe Joe’s message has become stale

it might do him well to try a different environment. San Diego, Anaheim or Philadelphia could be nice situations for him

Reactions: mphawk and mstp1992
I am sad to see joe go, I know people disagree but I don’t think they win in 2016 without him. Nope, he wasn’t perfect but the way he changed the attitude of the team in 2015 was so important.

I don’t know if I would want Joe back. I think sometimes it can be helpful to get a fresh set of ideas. Considering how the last two years have gone, it appears that maybe Joe’s message has become stale

it might do him well to try a different environment. San Diego, Anaheim or Philadelphia could be nice situations for him
I love Joe Maddon, but I think you’re onto something about his methods. He doesn’t seem to be good for long term stints. Rather, his strength as a manager is in the immediate motivation of players, and fan base.

Reactions: bdg8
Joes message requires players to be accountable and for players to police themselves. I don’t believe they have had the right players for that to work.

Reactions: lucas80
I am sad to see joe go, I know people disagree but I don’t think they win in 2016 without him. Nope, he wasn’t perfect but the way he changed the attitude of the team in 2015 was so important.

Also the way he embraced the incredible amount of pressure that the curse brought. Dusty and Lou couldn’t handle it, Joe took it on head on and shielded the players from a lot of it.

I also think the complaints about his bullpen management are way overblown, the Cubs finished 8th, 8th, 6th and 2nd in bullpen ERA prior to this year without ever having a collection of big time relievers. A lot of fans who think all the bullpens struggles are due to Joe are most likely in for a rude awakening next year.

Do you really see this happening? Rizzo, Bryant, Contreras, Baez, Lester... all have had multiple injuries over the last couple seasons.

Bryant has showed that he is a top 10 player when healthy. Unfortunately, if he’s playing with ANY kind of minor injury — he’s garbage.

Not holding my breath.

I think our old balls pitching staff is definitely on the decline. They’re not going to get better, they’re going to get worse.

A young SP is a definite need, but Cole will be insanely expensive.

Do you really see this happening? Rizzo, Bryant, Contreras, Baez, Lester... all have had multiple injuries over the last couple seasons.

Bryant has showed that he is a top 10 player when healthy. Unfortunately, if he’s playing with ANY kind of minor injury — he’s garbage.

Not holding my breath.

I think our old balls pitching staff is definitely on the decline. They’re not going to get better, they’re going to get worse.

A young SP is a definite need, but Cole will be insanely expensive.

A couple of responses to your response:

2. There have been some quotes from KB lately this are very telling. He has praised Joe for always encouraging him and having the right words to say, because KB is very hard on himself. I've often wondered if KB lack some self-confidence that a player of his talent should have. Perhaps that contributes to the fact that if he wakes up with a stiff neck, he's useless for a week (embellishing, it you get my drift).

5. The current situation in Baseball where young players are signing team-friendly extensions hurts the ability to "go get a great starter." You either have to pay big money and hope it works out like Max Scherzer and to a lesser extent Jon Lester, OR you must have prospects that you can trade for said starter.

So, to get a good pitcher, you need to develop him or trade prospects if your owner doesn't want the payroll.

The Cubs have no prospects that's could land a #1 or #2 starter. They could trade Kris Bryant, but only a contending team would trade for him, and said contending team would not trade one of their best SP's.

This is why I want Ricketts to fire Theo next July if they aren't in contention. I have no faith that Theo will get this back on track. Moving Jason McLeod to an SVP role on the pro club side was a slap in the face to everybody who cares about this team.

Reactions: MitchLL
ADVERTISEMENT