ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2021 thread*****

Theo - ONE title??

6fbac8eaa683bd9d9380338baf074e01.jpg

s-l400.jpg

thumb.aspx

I swear there was a guy like Cub33 or Hawk33 that said a 5 year dynasty was inevitable. It's a lot harder than that...

Reactions: rk#5
Need prospects more than 100s of millions in debt
I hate player option too! Hard pass. Certainly wouldn't give kb plus more. At the very least you have to see what the covid era market is for players! Kb might be too much for him lol.
It is problematic, but, there are no easy trades for Jed. He's going to have to be creative, and take risks.

It is problematic, but, there are no easy trades for Jed. He's going to have to be creative, and take risks.
Best move might be wait and hope for some bounce backs in 21. I think kb will have a good year and will net some good prospects mid season. Schwarber might not kill it, but can't really get worse. Still hope javy willy and Rizzo are cubs long term. Darvish could net high quality prospects, depending what the market is for pitchers. A vaccine will play a big role!

Best move might be wait and hope for some bounce backs in 21. I think kb will have a good year and will net some good prospects mid season. Schwarber might not kill it, but can't really get worse. Still hope javy willy and Rizzo are cubs long term. Darvish could net high quality prospects, depending what the market is for pitchers. A vaccine will play a big role!
I think this is the best strategy for next season. Let things develop up until the trade deadline and then unload as needed. I was reading an article the other day that the Mets might come after Darvish but it was thought they would have to take Kimbrell too. There was no mention what the Cubs would get in return.

I think this is the best strategy for next season. Let things develop up until the trade deadline and then unload as needed. I was reading an article the other day that the Mets might come after Darvish but it was thought they would have to take Kimbrell too. There was no mention what the Cubs would get in return.
Cubs get Cano in return. 😁

• Wow
Reactions: TheCainer
There has been significant rumoring about KB to the Nationals. This would be about as sensible as a trade as you could make for KB coming off of a pandemic year given the relevant contracts.
https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs...ting-the-washington-nationals-to-kris-bryant/
I realize many years of CHEAP control can't be best, but laugh when they act like he's of little use in a 1 year deal. For a team like tampa etc, what is wrong with a 1 year all star caliber player at a discounted rate? Sure you can go ave arenado or full price for longer...but you also have a crapload more risk. Of course most, if not all, teams would love to sign kb right now on a 1 year 20m deal.

And if we just wanted a great CF glove that can't hit we would have almora.

Geez hot stove mentions their top ss and javy barely even gets a mention and doesn't get a spot.

Didn't really how much competition he'll have in fa next year! Should be a steal or 2 at short a year from now!

I think it was Jim Bowden who mentioned a potential Bryant for Kieboom trade. Years of control for Kieboom, plus his versatility would be a bonus.

You're definitely buying low on Bryant but the fact that he hits free agency after next year is the bigger issue.

Almora? Without a doubt. Schwarber? I can’t see them just passing on him. They would have to have gotten a sting indication there is zero trade market for him.

Geez hot stove mentions their top ss and javy barely even gets a mention and doesn't get a spot.

Didn't really how much competition he'll have in fa next year! Should be a steal or 2 at short a year from now!
The problem with Javy is whether this year was aberation or a sign of things to come. While no one questions his defense, his hitting regimen and inability to lay off bad pitches makes him a suspect player.

Take off the rose colored glasses and realize he had a horrible year. There won't be much value for "the 2020 version" of Baez.

The problem with Javy is whether this year was aberation or a sign of things to come. While no one questions his defense, his hitting regimen and inability to lay off bad pitches makes him a suspect player.

Take off the rose colored glasses and realize he had a horrible year. There won't be much value for "the 2020 version" of Baez.

A lot of guys had crappy years in 2020. You’d never have predicted Baez and Yelich to have the years they had this year after their MVP race in 2018. What makes people nervous about Javy is that he was bad because he was doing all the things he struggled with early in his career. We’ll see. He absolutely had a horrible year, but I cannot imagine non-tendering him.

Schwarber is interesting. He also had a crappy 2020. The previous two seasons, he was a 3 WAR (FanGraphs player) with 115-120 wRC+ (league average is 100). That’s not franchise player material, but a 3 WAR lefty bat with pop is going to cost you at least the $8M Schwarber is expected to get in arbitration. The real question is what kind of budget does Jed have to work with and what could Jed do with the $8M. I’m not dead-set against non-tendering Schwarber, I just wonder how much better off it makes them.

This is going to be a fascinating offseason. Regardless of whether you believe what owners are saying about overall losses from 2020, there’s no doubt they lost a crap ton of revenue. It would seem that this is going to be an offseason of restrained spending on top of a weird year where a lot of guys had bad years. There may be a lot of guys who would have previously been unattainable who would now be willing to take a short deal to guarantee some level of cash that’s far less than they’d have taken before.

Almora? Without a doubt. Schwarber? I can’t see them just passing on him. They would have to have gotten a sting indication there is zero trade market for him.
There is none. U can get guys with Swarber's profile under 6 million.

Reactions: blhawk
A lot of guys had crappy years in 2020. You’d never have predicted Baez and Yelich to have the years they had this year after their MVP race in 2018. What makes people nervous about Javy is that he was bad because he was doing all the things he struggled with early in his career. We’ll see. He absolutely had a horrible year, but I cannot imagine non-tendering him.

Schwarber is interesting. He also had a crappy 2020. The previous two seasons, he was a 3 WAR (FanGraphs player) with 115-120 wRC+ (league average is 100). That’s not franchise player material, but a 3 WAR lefty bat with pop is going to cost you at least the $8M Schwarber is expected to get in arbitration. The real question is what kind of budget does Jed have to work with and what could Jed do with the $8M. I’m not dead-set against non-tendering Schwarber, I just wonder how much better off it makes them.

This is going to be a fascinating offseason. Regardless of whether you believe what owners are saying about overall losses from 2020, there’s no doubt they lost a crap ton of revenue. It would seem that this is going to be an offseason of restrained spending on top of a weird year where a lot of guys had bad years. There may be a lot of guys who would have previously been unattainable who would now be willing to take a short deal to guarantee some level of cash that’s far less than they’d have taken before.
The Cubs have the luxury of going one more year without a huge financial commitment to Baez, right?

Let 2021 season play out to see if 2020 was the norm or the exception. The expanded strike zone from him seems like either he was trying to do too much with a struggling team or a bad habit that will be difficult to fix. Inking a long term contract to a guy that hits <.250, great defensive guy, but average HR/RBI guy will hamstring the Cubs for years to come.

The Cubs have the luxury of going one more year without a huge financial commitment to Baez, right?

Let 2021 season play out to see if 2020 was the norm or the exception. The expanded strike zone from him seems like either he was trying to do too much with a struggling team or a bad habit that will be difficult to fix. Inking a long term contract to a guy that hits <.250, great defensive guy, but average HR/RBI guy will hamstring the Cubs for years to come.

Yes, Javy is projected to get around $11M arbitration this year and then he’d be a free agent after the season. There are a couple strategies with Javy:
  • Save $11M by non-tendering him now. This would save cash up front, but cast Javy away now. As such a huge fan favorite, great defensive player and recent past offensive star, this would be a surprise move and probably not a good one.
  • Tender him, pay the arbitration money and use this season to gauge future plans.
  • Tender him and start trying to get him to sign a longer deal. He may take less than it looked like he’d require after the 2018 and 2019 seasons given the economic uncertainties and the atrocious 2020 season.
I’d probably go with door #2.

Yes, Javy is projected to get around $11M arbitration this year and then he’d be a free agent after the season. There are a couple strategies with Javy:
  • Save $11M by non-tendering him now. This would save cash up front, but cast Javy away now. As such a huge fan favorite, great defensive player and recent past offensive star, this would be a surprise move and probably not a good one.
  • Tender him, pay the arbitration money and use this season to gauge future plans.
  • Tender him and start trying to get him to sign a longer deal. He may take less than it looked like he’d require after the 2018 and 2019 seasons given the economic uncertainties and the atrocious 2020 season.
I’d probably go with door #2.
The roster decisions Hoyer will be making are really gonna have long term implications. Would not want to be in his position.

Reactions: TheCainer
The roster decisions Hoyer will be making are really gonna have long term implications. Would not want to be in his position.

Agreed. Honestly, with so many guys on their last year of control for the Cubs, my preference would be to just let some money go, but basically keep the core and run it back one more time. KB, Javy, Schwarber, Rizzo alone represent close to $60M in payroll coming off the books in 2022....plus you have the added benefit of possibly dealing guys at the deadline if it makes sense. No reason the Cubs, as built, can’t compete in the NL Central and roll the dice in the post-season with what they have now, then they’ll have tons of cash for 2022.

What’s criminal is MLB not making an official announcement on the DH for the NL in time for teams to make decisions on who to tender. I get that the owners want this as a negotiation chip for the next CBA, but we can go ahead declare one way or the other for 2021.

There is none. U can get guys with Swarber's profile under 6 million.
Sure, but as I have said for years, the front office is in love with KS. Theo is gone, but Jed and his man crush for Kyle’s power is still there.

Who is taking the action on Almora hitting over .400 against the Cubs with some crucial home runs and great defensive plays?

Not saying Almora and Schwarber won’t be back, they just aren’t playing worth their tender price tag.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT