ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread đźš˝*****

6-1 lead going into 9th. Keegan Thompson in ... and the first 2 Rockies reach base. Here we go again!

And then a walk and Counsell goes and gets Thompson. Geez.

Let's see what everyone thinks next year's starting lineup will be.
C - Amaya (not sure Jed finds another catcher)
1B - Busch (I don't think they win a bidding war for Alonso)
2B - Triantos ( I think they move Hoerner)
SS - Swanson
3B - I think they go after Alex Bregman. Paredes has not worked out, and I am not sure Shaw is ready to go yet.
LF - Happ
CF - PCA
RF - I hope it's Cody/Seiya again and the other is the DH.

If they do get Pete, then I think they move Busch to 3B and then Bergman is out.

I think they make a big run at Corbin Burnes for SP. They would give them

Steele
Burnes
Imanaga
Taillon
Assad

Looking at the free-agent list, it isn't overly impressive. I like Santander from Baltimore, but I don't see them going for Pete, Corbin, and Santander.
Jed isn't aggressive enough, or Tom Ricketts won't let him be aggressive enough, to make a big splash in the FA market. I fully expect the Cubs to make deals this offseason for a catcher. They have guys on the 40 man they need to move up or on, and guys pushing at the door of the 40 man roster to make decisions on. I can see Hoerner being part of that trade. The knock on Shaw at 3B is does he have the arm for it? I also wonder about the organization turning over a spot to a rookie sight unseen at the MLB level. My guess is Paredes sticks around understanding he isn't blocking anyone's progress. He can be let go quite easily and cheaply, or dealt away again.
The FA I am most intrigued about adding is Rosi Sasaki, who do to the vagaries of international FA signings would be cheaper salary wise, but cost a boatload to his Japanese team. I'd also like to see them get involved in Tanner Scott for some BP help.

Reactions: hawkfan0319
He won and helped the Cubs win two of the biggest games in franchise history. He’ll always be a hero.
If he wants a job in the organization he'll get one. I just don't see him getting a guaranteed contract next season, and he seems like the type of guy who will retire versus scrap for a spot in ST. He could teach a lot of things to young pitchers from pitches to mindset.

If he wants a job in the organization he'll get one. I just don't see him getting a guaranteed contract next season, and he seems like the type of guy who will retire versus scrap for a spot in ST. He could teach a lot of things to young pitchers from pitches to mindset.
I don’t believe he’ll be back. To your point, He won’t be a guy hanging for bullpen innings and he can’t be brought back as a starter. I think he’ll retire unless someone offers him something this offseason. I will welcome him to do anything in this org anytime, he’ll be an asset.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT