ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread 🪦*****

6-1 lead going into 9th. Keegan Thompson in ... and the first 2 Rockies reach base. Here we go again!

And then a walk and Counsell goes and gets Thompson. Geez.

Let's see what everyone thinks next year's starting lineup will be.
C - Amaya (not sure Jed finds another catcher)
1B - Busch (I don't think they win a bidding war for Alonso)
2B - Triantos ( I think they move Hoerner)
SS - Swanson
3B - I think they go after Alex Bregman. Paredes has not worked out, and I am not sure Shaw is ready to go yet.
LF - Happ
CF - PCA
RF - I hope it's Cody/Seiya again and the other is the DH.

If they do get Pete, then I think they move Busch to 3B and then Bergman is out.

I think they make a big run at Corbin Burnes for SP. They would give them

Steele
Burnes
Imanaga
Taillon
Assad

Looking at the free-agent list, it isn't overly impressive. I like Santander from Baltimore, but I don't see them going for Pete, Corbin, and Santander.
Jed isn't aggressive enough, or Tom Ricketts won't let him be aggressive enough, to make a big splash in the FA market. I fully expect the Cubs to make deals this offseason for a catcher. They have guys on the 40 man they need to move up or on, and guys pushing at the door of the 40 man roster to make decisions on. I can see Hoerner being part of that trade. The knock on Shaw at 3B is does he have the arm for it? I also wonder about the organization turning over a spot to a rookie sight unseen at the MLB level. My guess is Paredes sticks around understanding he isn't blocking anyone's progress. He can be let go quite easily and cheaply, or dealt away again.
The FA I am most intrigued about adding is Rosi Sasaki, who do to the vagaries of international FA signings would be cheaper salary wise, but cost a boatload to his Japanese team. I'd also like to see them get involved in Tanner Scott for some BP help.

Reactions: hawkfan0319
He won and helped the Cubs win two of the biggest games in franchise history. He’ll always be a hero.
If he wants a job in the organization he'll get one. I just don't see him getting a guaranteed contract next season, and he seems like the type of guy who will retire versus scrap for a spot in ST. He could teach a lot of things to young pitchers from pitches to mindset.

If he wants a job in the organization he'll get one. I just don't see him getting a guaranteed contract next season, and he seems like the type of guy who will retire versus scrap for a spot in ST. He could teach a lot of things to young pitchers from pitches to mindset.
I don’t believe he’ll be back. To your point, He won’t be a guy hanging for bullpen innings and he can’t be brought back as a starter. I think he’ll retire unless someone offers him something this offseason. I will welcome him to do anything in this org anytime, he’ll be an asset.

That was one of the most entertaining innings this year. First 6 hitters get hits and they score 5 runs in the process. I loved PCA's bunt single against a playing back infield with 2 strikes on him. He's going to be fun to watch in the coming years. Glad we got him.

All right Cubs fans.

If Imanaga wins tonight, he will have 14 wins in his rookie season. For the life of me, I cannot think of any other Cubs rookies who have won that many games in their first season. I have eliminated Wood, Prior, Holtzman, Hands, and many others I have seen in my 68 years on this earth. I even considered Mordecai Brown but was surprised that his rookie season was with the Cardinals.

Can anyone think of who will have at least or more than 14 wins in their rookie season with the Cubs?🤔

All right Cubs fans.

If Imanaga wins tonight, he will have 14 wins in his rookie season. For the life of me, I cannot think of any other Cubs rookies who have won that many games in their first season. I have eliminated Wood, Prior, Holtzman, Hands, and many others I have seen in my 68 years on this earth. I even considered Mordecai Brown but was surprised that his rookie season was with the Cardinals.

Can anyone think of who will have at least or more than 14 wins in their rookie season with the Cubs?🤔
FWIW, I just discovered that Ed Ruelbach won 18 games for the Cubs in his first season in 1905. Would that count?🤪

I need a judge's decision here.

I asked Siri on this topic tonight and she kept ignoring me. I think she thought I was asking her out, or, something.

Reactions: lucas80
FWIW, I just discovered that Ed Ruelbach won 18 games for the Cubs in his first season in 1905. Would that count?🤪

I asked Siri on this topic tonight and she kept ignoring me. I think she thought I was asking her out, or, something.
I think it would, assuming it’s correct (only saying because I haven’t looked it up). Anything after 1900 or 1903 (1st WS) is generally considered the “modern” era.

Reactions: lucas80
That brutal stretch in June cost this team a chance to get the wild card
I was challenged in a Twitter discussion to “prove” that this bullpen hasn’t lost 25+ leads late. In terms of losses, they haven’t, but there are 15 games this year where the Cubs had a lead 7th inning or later and the bullpen lost it. But to the point of the post I’m replying to, look at it by month:

March/April: 4
May: 4
June: 4
July: 1
August: 0
September: 2

If you want to blame June, I won’t argue. If you want to blame May, I won’t argue. Clearly May/June cost this team massively.

I did a little deeper search tonight and it looks like Larry Cheney has the Cubs rookie record with 26 wins in 1912. Started 37 games, completed 28, and pitched 303 innings. Also threw 4 shutouts.

Reactions: hawkirugged17
Ian Happy only hits meaningless HRs. Oh wait, 2 HRs tonight and carrying the offense. Cubs within one in the 9th.

Guy takes way too much heat on this board.

This is a season of What Ifs? What if the Cubs had a lock down closer? What if there wasn't that June letdown?

This team isn't good enough to win it all, but with a few key off season moves, and some young guys come up and showing out, next season could be a good one.

Soccer Bundesliga GIF by FC Bayern Munich

Ian Happy only hits meaningless HRs. Oh wait, 2 HRs tonight and carrying the offense. Cubs within one in the 9th.

Guy takes way too much heat on this board.
There's only one dipsh*t who gives Happ a hard time on this board. Based on that dolt's posting history, he must think Happ is an Asian of some kind.

Reactions: wausauhawk
This is a season of What Ifs? What if the Cubs had a lock down closer? What if there wasn't that June letdown?

This team isn't good enough to win it all, but with a few key off season moves, and some young guys come up and showing out, next season could be a good one.

Add an ace to an already solid rotation—probably Corbin Burnes.

Add a legit power bat. Soto would be great but that’s not happening. Go after Vlad.

Add a mother f*cking closer, for the love of god.

That’s it. That’s your playoff team.

Add an ace to an already solid rotation—probably Corbin Burnes.

Add a legit power bat. Soto would be great but that’s not happening. Go after Vlad.

Add a mother f*cking closer, for the love of god.

That’s it. That’s your playoff team.
I don’t care that much about adding a closer, I think Porter Hodge can be that guy, but they absolutely need to add a high-leverage bullpen arm that could close. I’d probably shop in a higher tier than they’ve been shopping and pick up a leverage lefty. Cubs have a lot of high velo righties, need someone from the left side.

Reactions: TheCainer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT