ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread 🪦*****

When do we fire up the ***Official Chicago Cubs 2025 Season*** thread?

I nominate @hawkifann to start the official thread when he feels the time is right. I think he deserves that honor for the content he brings to the thread.
I like a clean break. We could do it now because 2024 is effectively dead, but there’s one week left, so if it’s me, I won’t start until the last game is over, but if someone else wants to get it going early, it’s fair game.

This Hollowell guy looks to be a keeper, IMO. Unorthodox delivery and some good stuff.

How did he fall in our lap?

This Hollowell guy looks to be a keeper, IMO. Unorthodox delivery and some good stuff.

How did he fall in our lap?
Cubs claimed him off waivers from the Diamondbacks. I love how they’re stacking up big guys who throw hard in the pen. They won’t all stick, but if a few do, that’s a big win.

Reactions: TheCainer
My guess is Bellinger opts out. It may or may not be the best decision, but guys like him have a lot of confidence, so I assume he thinks he'll get a bigger AAV with more years. I will say this, no Cubs fan should bitch about his 2 strike average, or how he's improved against lefties. He's a steal for next year if he stays off the IL a little more.

Watching 40 year anniversary of 1984 NL East Champs on Marquee. Ron Cey, Leon Durham, Jody Davis, Gary Matthews, Ryne Sandberg, Rick Sutcliffe, Thad Bosley, Bobby Dernier, and Steve Trout.

My guess is Bellinger opts out. It may or may not be the best decision, but guys like him have a lot of confidence, so I assume he thinks he'll get a bigger AAV with more years. I will say this, no Cubs fan should bitch about his 2 strike average, or how he's improved against lefties. He's a steal for next year if he stays off the IL a little more.
I don’t think he’d tell you he’d get a bigger AAV. He’s not going to get $28M+ per year, but I could absolutely see him getting somewhere between 4/$80M and 6/$110M, which would be multiple years and tens of millions of dollars more than he currently has on the table from the Cubs.

Watching 40 year anniversary of 1984 NL East Champs on Marquee. Ron Cey, Leon Durham, Jody Davis, Gary Matthews, Ryne Sandberg, Rick Sutcliffe, Thad Bosley, Bobby Dernier, and Steve Trout.

I was 10 in 1984, the absolute sweet spot for locking in fandom for life. I was already a baseball history nerd, so I knew the history, but I hadn’t FELT the history. That series against the Padres was my 1969.

I don’t think he’d tell you he’d get a bigger AAV. He’s not going to get $28M+ per year, but I could absolutely see him getting somewhere between 4/$80M and 6/$110M, which would be multiple years and tens of millions of dollars more than he currently has on the table from the Cubs.
Guys who hit bases clearing triples against a lefty with 2 strikes on them think differently than you and I. Also, what is Boras telling him?

Guys who hit bases clearing triples against a lefty with 2 strikes on them think differently than you and I. Also, what is Boras telling him?
I’m not predicting that he’ll opt out, I just don’t think it’s a slam dunk that he’s locked in. I’m not even sure which path I want him to take right now. I see pros and cons both ways.

I’m a huge fan, and the 84 team cemented my fandom via WGN, but there were a few guys on that show I was guessing at. Not like anyone aged well after 40 years I suppose. I’d love to have beers with the Red Baron.

Mrs. Lucas and I saw Alcántara mash a Homer in ST. Hopefully this opportunity gives him some useful ABs, and gives him a perspective on what he needs to work on this offseason.

Interesting selections for the AFL. Moises Ballesteros just played a full season, but he gets the nod. Usually you see guys who had an injury and missed extended time. Joining Ballesteros is Johnathon Long, who could quite possibly be getting a push all the way to AAA next season. Benjamin Cowles came over in the Leiter trade, and missed significant time this season. The pitchers are a grab bag of fringe guys as far as I can tell.
https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2024/09/25/2024-arizona-fall-league-rosters-announced/

Interesting selections for the AFL. Moises Ballesteros just played a full season, but he gets the nod. Usually you see guys who had an injury and missed extended time. Joining Ballesteros is Johnathon Long, who could quite possibly be getting a push all the way to AAA next season. Benjamin Cowles came over in the Leiter trade, and missed significant time this season. The pitchers are a grab bag of fringe guys as far as I can tell.
https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2024/09/25/2024-arizona-fall-league-rosters-announced/
Good to see Cowles getting back to action. It is interesting on the pitching choices. On the Moises front, don’t undersell him continuing to get more catching work. I think everyone is sold on the bat and hoping he can be at least a passable catcher.

Good to see Cowles getting back to action. It is interesting on the pitching choices. On the Moises front, don’t undersell him continuing to get more catching work. I think everyone is sold on the bat and hoping he can be at least a passable catcher.
I'm still a bit surprised with Ballesteros myself. Not R5D eligible and already in AAA, so not sure what he has to prove at this moment. I guess more catching work makes some sense, but it's already been a long season, he's got all off-season to continue working, and isn't expected to make the Opening Day roster, so it seems like he's still got plenty of time and opportunity to develop.

I'm still a bit surprised with Ballesteros myself. Not R5D eligible and already in AAA, so not sure what he has to prove at this moment. I guess more catching work makes some sense, but it's already been a long season, he's got all off-season to continue working, and isn't expected to make the Opening Day roster, so it seems like he's still got plenty of time and opportunity to develop.
AFL pitching usually is rehab guys, and guys who really need to prove something to an organization. So, not the highest level of prospects. Ballesteros can hit those guys just fine. My guess is they want complete attention with the catching instructors, and they want him under the watchful eyes of the S&C staff.

Reactions: hawkifann
AFL pitching usually is rehab guys, and guys who really need to prove something to an organization. So, not the highest level of prospects. Ballesteros can hit those guys just fine. My guess is they want complete attention with the catching instructors, and they want him under the watchful eyes of the S&C staff.
What they see from Moises in the fall might also impact what the Cubs do at C. They’ll have to get one for sure, but get a starter or a backup? A short-term starter or a long-term starter?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT