ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread 🚽*****

As was mentioned above, there's going to be a pitching staff roster crunch when Steele and Wicks return, and maybe even Hendricks, Smyly and Merryweather. No way Alzolay survives that. I wish the team would make the move sooner, but right now it looks like they'd rather weather the storm with Alzolay instead of bringing Cuas or Little back up. Rather maddening.

Unfortunately Cuas and Little have both contributed to bullpen meltdowns leading to losses :(

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
As was mentioned above, there's going to be a pitching staff roster crunch when Steele and Wicks return, and maybe even Hendricks, Smyly and Merryweather. No way Alzolay survives that. I wish the team would make the move sooner, but right now it looks like they'd rather weather the storm with Alzolay instead of bringing Cuas or Little back up. Rather maddening.
Porter Hodge is on the 40 man roster. Hard to know if they want to make his MLB debut this week. Edwards Jr would need a 40 man spot. Then you have Cuas or Little.

Obviously Brown and Wesneski need to stay up in the pen even when everyone else gets healthy, and Alzolay seemingly needs a reset in the minors.
Adbert can’t just be sent down. He does not have any options left. The only choices they have are:

1. Continue to pitch in as low a leverage situation as possible.
2. Injured List
3. DFA

If they go for #3, he will get claimed/traded. He will come back and be a productive reliever at some point, either with the Cubs or not, but right now it’s a tough spot.

Porter Hodge is on the 40 man roster. Hard to know if they want to make his MLB debut this week. Edwards Jr would need a 40 man spot. Then you have Cuas or Little.
They’re going to wait for Steele before they make a move. I wonder if Adbert goes to IL, but if not, someone will go down and Brown will go to the pen. I don’t think they’ll bring anyone up from Iowa in the next several days.

Adbert can’t just be sent down. He does not have any options left. The only choices they have are:

2. Injured List
3. DFA

If they go for #3, he will get claimed/traded. He will come back and be a productive reliever at some point, either with the Cubs or not, but right now it’s a tough spot.
Sh*t; didn’t realize he was out of options already. Yeah, he needs to be encouraged to tell the trainer that his arm hurts. I doubt any MLB pitcher has a perfectly normal looking MRI of his throwing arm, so they should be able to come up with something…

The Cubs only scored one run yesterday but Ian Happ and Dansby Swanson keep getting a pass from being criticized.

Looks like the Cubs will be facing 2B Luis Arraez in the upcoming series with the Padres as the Marlins traded him last night for 3 high prospects and a relief pitcher. Seems like he always hits the Cubs very well.☹️

• Wow
Reactions: lucas80
The Cubs only scored one run yesterday but Ian Happ and Dansby Swanson keep getting a pass from being criticized.
Is this the only place you look for criticism? I see tons…and Dansby has been atrocious at situational hitting recently and uncharacteristically sloppy on D.

2. Injured List
3. DFA

Forgot last year was his last option year. Like you said no way they DFA him. Is his fastball velocity down this year making it closer to his slider? I seemingly remember him at 95-97 last year and 92-94 this year, although my memory could be deceiving me. Also he’s been missing corners then throwing one right down the middle

Looks like the Cubs will be facing 2B Luis Arraez in the upcoming series with the Padres as the Marlins traded him last night for 3 high prospects and a relief pitcher. Seems like he always hits the Cubs very well.☹️
Yeah, that was an amazing deal the Padres pulled off so early in the season. I assume Jed must be checking out the Marlin's roster if they are already selling pieces off. Side note, I'd like it if Jed was a little more aggressive like Preller at San Diego. Not an entirely comparable situation, but, he pulls the trigger and doesn't look back. Jed seems to mull things over a little too long.

Reactions: TheCainer
4-0 is refreshing, but it should be about 9-0 at this point after they let Myer wiggle off of the hook in the 1st inning.
JT has been stout, that's for sure.

Reactions: RayRay3454
trainwreck GIF

Enter the bullpen

On top of the bullpen issues, the defense has been rather poor lately. Not just errors, but there have been quite a few plays that didn't result in errors, but were missed plays. Tauchman got an error today on a ball Swanson should have grabbed. And, speaking of Swanson, it really looked like he almost muffed the throw to second to end the game. It's a troubling trend for a team that has a bunch of gold glove winners on it.

• Sad
On top of the bullpen issues, the defense has been rather poor lately. Not just errors, but there have been quite a few plays that didn't result in errors, but were missed plays. Tauchman got an error today on a ball Swanson should have grabbed. And, speaking of Swanson, it really looked like he almost muffed the throw to second to end the game. It's a troubling trend for a team that has a bunch of gold glove winners on it.

Swanson looks a bit weird out there, makes me think there might be something off with his arm. He's just lobbing the ball too much.

Swanson looks a bit weird out there, makes me think there might be something off with his arm. He's just lobbing the ball too much.
He does not seem right. I think he isn't telling the staff something feels off. I hope I'm wrong.

He does not seem right. I think he isn't telling the staff something feels off. I hope I'm wrong.

Cubs could survive a Dansby stint on the IL. He’s not hitting or fielding worth a sh#t, and Vazquez is tearing up AAA. Time for his debut (Hopefully he’s not a AAAA hitter like Mervis…).

Tough one today facing Peralta with the currently anemic offense. But, the Cubs counter with one of the hottest pitchers in baseball.

This is turning out to be a delightful start. Playing well; a few holes to patch.

And most importantly, all my Cards fans buddies are bitching about dropping a series to the worst team in baseball.

Cards appear to be in trouble with little help on the way and that almost never happens.

What a series by the starting pitchers! 6 innings across the board for the starters, Wesneski, Taillon, and Assad.
Nico gave some timely offense today, and an easy day for the bullpen to leave the leverage guys on the bench resting for the Padres. Palencia was excellent, can he ever turn that 100 mph into outs in high leverage situations? I assume a little of it was the Brewers deciding down 5 and with the bus warming up it was time to go, but he looked damn good. Especially on the fastballs that had a little tail to them.

The Cubs starting pitching ERA currently ranks 4th in MLB with an average of 3.13, behind Boston, Philadelphia, and Seattle.

If you delete Kyle Hendricks' numbers, 21 IP and 28 ER, the Cubs starting pitching ERA is 1.92. Hendricks 28 ER is almost half of the team's total of 61 ER from their starters. Hopefully he can return to form if and when he comes back.

https://www.mlb.com/stats/team/pitching?split=sp&sortState=asc

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT