ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread 🚽*****

There are good reasons to be hopeful. Number one the Cubs have the money. Other notable things in that article stand out suck as the friendly right field bleachers, and the star power/money he could generate. Chicago is a world city with a large Japanese population. He’d be able to feel comfortable especially with Suzuki in Chicago, who genuinely seems to love playing at Wrigley.

Is Bo Bichette a realistic trade target? Some think he is. And, this would be a big signal to Ohtani the Cubs are determined to win a WS.
He’d hit a ton at Wrigley, and should convert to 3B quite easily.

while I find this Bichette talk intriguing, I have many doubts. The Blue Jays were a playoff team and are believed to be a true dark horse in the Ohtani sweepstakes. The Blue Jays are not rebuilding and will most likely lose Matt Chapman, so not sure how great of a trade partner the Cubs are. Perhaps they have been told by Ohtani’s team they are out, but I still don’t see the Cubs being a good match as a trade partner.

while I find this Bichette talk intriguing, I have many doubts. The Blue Jays were a playoff team and are believed to be a true dark horse in the Ohtani sweepstakes. The Blue Jays are not rebuilding and will most likely lose Matt Chapman, so not sure how great of a trade partner the Cubs are. Perhaps they have been told by Ohtani’s team they are out, but I still don’t see the Cubs being a good match as a trade partner.
It’s interesting and I find it most interesting because it sheds some light on current and past trade talks. Often, trades are made in the offseason for guys you maybe didn’t even know were available. Morosi’s reports also indicate that the Cubs have talked about Bichette before, so if true there is at least interest from one side.

As you read these reports, though, remember that Jed snaked out Counsell, had a personal/face-to-face conversation with Ross all within 30 hours across a thousand miles and like 3 people knew. Cubs don’t generally give out smoke signals.

It’s interesting and I find it most interesting because it sheds some light on current and past trade talks. Often, trades are made in the offseason for guys you maybe didn’t even know were available. Morosi’s reports also indicate that the Cubs have talked about Bichette before, so if true there is at least interest from one side.

As you read these reports, though, remember that Jed snaked out Counsell, had a personal/face-to-face conversation with Ross all within 30 hours across a thousand miles and like 3 people knew. Cubs don’t generally give out smoke signals.
I get how it works, but I’ve read two other places agreeing that trading Bichette makes little-to-no sense given where the Jays are right now. Just doesn’t really make sense on several levels.

I get how it works, but I’ve read two other places agreeing that trading Bichette makes little-to-no sense given where the Jays are right now. Just doesn’t really make sense on several levels.
It kind of makes sense if they truly believe their top shortstop prospect is ready.

It kind of makes sense if they truly believe their top shortstop prospect is ready.
He’s not ready. What I heard is the only way they trade Bichette is if he told the team that he isn’t resigning when his deal is up in two years, but he’s shown no inkling of doing that. Also, the Jays are in win-now mode and they could get much more major-league ready talent than what the Cubs can offer. And they truly believe they are in the Ohtani race, they feel they’re in the top 3. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to have Bichette on the Cubs, but just don’t see them as a match.

Last edited:
He’s not ready. What I heard is the only way they trade Bichette is if he told the team that he isn’t resigning when his deal is up in two years, but he’s shown no inkling of doing that. Also, the Jays are in win-now mode and they could get much more major-league ready talent than what the Cubs can offer. And they truly believe they are in the Ohtani race, they feel they’re in the top 3. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to have Bichette on the Cubs, but just don’t see them as a match.
Maybe. I've seen stuff saying he may be ready in 2024. Maybe they sign a glove first SS on the FA market as a rental. They don't need his offense if they land Ohtani. Maybe they think Morel can play some SS if he's in the deal?
I love speculating on deals even though something like this is in the 5-10 percent range of happening.

Another top prospect list is out. Most lists have the same guys in slightly, but this one has Pedro Ramirez, a middle infielder from low A edging into the top 10. That's super aggressive, and I like it. He's a 19 year old IFS signee from Venezuela. As most of you know I get geeky on the IFA signings. He performed very well for his first real season in a ball park that is not terribly hitter friendly. Keep your eyes on him.
https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs...pects-list-with-a-big-surprise-in-the-top-10/

Because nothing is too small or seemingly insignificant when it comes to the Ohtani sweepstakes, I raised my eyebrows at the Mariners trading Eugenio Suarez to the Diamondbacks for two very meh players. Many people thought the Mariners were in play for Ohtani, but this is not an all in move. This seems like a whiff of a salary dump.
https://nypost.com/2023/11/22/sports/diamondbacks-acquire-eugenio-suarez-in-trade-with-mariners/
32 year old with an ops of .71 in two of the last three years.

32 year old with an ops of .71 in two of the last three years.
He has been nicked up, he still has pop in his bat, he plays decent defense, and the Mariners don't have anyone better to plug in.

He has been nicked up, he still has pop in his bat, he plays decent defense, and the Mariners don't have anyone better to plug in.
They wanted to get out of his contract. They also are moving toward a more contact-friendly hitting approach and believe newly acquired Luis Urias will fit in nicely given his approach at the plate. Also, they get a controllable bullpen arm.

32 ops of .71. OPS plus of 101 or below. Stats say an averge joe should be able to give that.

32 ops of .71. OPS plus of 101 or below. Stats say an averge joe should be able to give that.
Better than the cumulative numbers of the guys who played 3B for the Cubs this season? The D-Backs seemed happy to get him, and they were just in the WS.
It isn't just about signing FAs. I hope Jed is exploring deals to make the team better, and the D-Backs just got a very functional player for cheap.

ng deals to make the team
32, .71 ops, expensive.

What part of this aren't you getting? You keep talking like its the guy from five years ago. It's barely a league average player, trending down, who is expensive. His OPS was just above the Detroit and KC guys. That's it. Hell, Wisdom in 300 AB was nearly 100 points higher.

32, .71 ops, expensive.

What part of this aren't you getting? You keep talking like its the guy from five years ago. It's barely a league average player, trending down, who is expensive. His OPS was just above the Detroit and KC guys. That's it. Hell, Wisdom in 300 AB was nearly 100 points higher.
I'm not drooling over him, but I'm not poo pooing him, either. 3B was a dark spot in 2023. Wisdom was functionally useless against right handers. 268 AB includes DH and 1B, too. I like it when he mashes the ball, but it doesn't overcome his deficiencies, and defensive regression.
Nicky Bats at spurts was interesting, but still provides no power. I wish the organization would commit to getting Morel reps over the Winter at 3B.

The Cardinals continue to load up on old, average pitchers. They are poised to sign Sonny Gray on top of Lance Lynn and Kyle Gibson.

The Cardinals continue to load up on old, average pitchers. They are poised to sign Sonny Gray on top of Lance Lynn and Kyle Gibson.

What are the Cardinals thinking? It's not like they're really in "win now" mode. Do they have a bunch of young pitchers in their system that will be ready in 2025-2026?

Quoted from Bleacher Nation on Facebook....

Cardinals rotation for 2024 and the age they'll be ...

Sonny Gray (34)
Kyle Gibson (36)
Miles Mikolas (35)
Lance Lynn (37)
Steven Matz (33)

I'm not saying age, alone, is a problem, and we know pitchers can be successful deep into their 30s. But that's a lot of age.

Cardinals are trying a a cheap version of last years New York Mets. Gray and Gibson are ok. But wont be nearly enough.

They just needed to fill slots and they were hoping to lure Nola over. They are still looking for an anchor but in the meantime, they are looking to get inning-eaters. Very atypical of the way the franchise has been run for a long time.

What are the Cardinals thinking? It's not like they're really in "win now" mode. Do they have a bunch of young pitchers in their system that will be ready in 2025-2026?

Quoted from Bleacher Nation on Facebook....

Cardinals rotation for 2024 and the age they'll be ...

Sonny Gray (34)
Kyle Gibson (36)
Miles Mikolas (35)
Lance Lynn (37)
Steven Matz (33)

I'm not saying age, alone, is a problem, and we know pitchers can be successful deep into their 30s. But that's a lot of age.
At least the Cardinals don’t have any Japanese pitchers in the rotation.

They just needed to fill slots and they were hoping to lure Nola over. They are still looking for an anchor but in the meantime, they are looking to get inning-eaters. Very atypical of the way the franchise has been run for a long time.
Need a Burnes or I guess Cease.

Reactions: win1forthe
Need a Burnes or I guess Cease.
Speaking of Cease, the Sox seem determined to unload just about everyone but Luis Roberts, who they might have trouble moving. Will the Cubs make a call about Cease?

Speaking of Cease, the Sox seem determined to unload just about everyone but Luis Roberts, who they might have trouble moving. Will the Cubs make a call about Cease?
Cease makes sense for about 30 teams, including the Cubs and White Sox. I think the Orioles make a ton of sense, both with need and prospects. They will keep Robert, he has a very team-friendly contract and they need something to build around.

Four IFA signings to announce. Weird to say it, but these guys are a little older rather than the somewhat creepy aged signees. Still, there is great potential value in stocking the system with 18-20 year old players, one of whom may be a late bloomer that adds real value.
Note in the article about Fernando Cruz, the 16 year old Dominican who the Cubs are rumored to be signing when the next window opens in January. Tremendous upside, and a cousin of Starlin Castro.

Reactions: hawkifann
Luis Robert would be a tremendous get. Elite player with 4 years of team control. He’d be massively expensive, though, in terms of trade return.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT