ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread 🚽*****

I'll be curious to see what happens with the Cubs going forward. I am definitely not going to pay attention to what every swinging dick has to say from this point forward. I'm not talking about anyone here, rather the "pundits" covering all of this.

Reactions: hawkifann
I'll be curious to see what happens with the Cubs going forward. I am definitely not going to pay attention to what every swinging dick has to say from this point forward. I'm not talking about anyone here, rather the "pundits" covering all of this.
Jeff Passan and Ken Rosenthal are the gold standard, with Passan the best. Not that they’re never wrong, but they’re pretty rock solid. Among Chicago media, Sahadev Sharma and Ryan Herrera rarely race out with stuff and wait for it to be well-sourced.

Ukulele Spinning GIF

• Haha
Haha, we’re all there.

I did learn on Twitter today, though, that this is proof that Jed is dragging his feet and taking a critical week off….because all he has to do is make a phone call and then guys are signed. 🤦‍♂️

Haha, we’re all there.

I did learn on Twitter today, though, that this is proof that Jed is dragging his feet and taking a critical week off….because all he has to do is make a phone call and then guys are signed. 🤦‍♂️
Which guys?

Reactions: TheCainer
Which guys?
None, I was being sarcastic. There’s a group out there who talk like this is MLB the Show and you just go pick your guys. All of these FAs are talking to multiple teams and all potential trade partners are talking multiple deals with multiple teams. Things take time.

Reactions: ihawk in FWB
The Giants just blew away all bidders for South Korean star Jung-Hoo Lee. 6 years at well over $100 million. He’s projected to be their center fielder, where he is a plus defender. The significance of this move is that the Giants are probably out of the running for Cody Bellinger.

The Giants just blew away all bidders for South Korean star Jung-Hoo Lee. 6 years at well over $100 million. He’s projected to be their center fielder, where he is a plus defender. The significance of this move is that the Giants are probably out of the running for Cody Bellinger.
If true, that would seem to leave the Cubs and Jays. Yanks surely out after getting Soto and Verdugo. Dodgers focused on handing out hundreds of billions for pennies. Mets focused on pitching. Padres could be in, but they just salary dumped Soto.

Reactions: lucas80
If true, that would seem to leave the Cubs and Jays. Yanks surely out after getting Soto and Verdugo. Dodgers focused on handing out hundreds of billions for pennies. Mets focused on pitching. Padres could be in, but they just salary dumped Soto.
It also probably means that Boras will be even more driven to drag this out. He wants more bidders.

It also probably means that Boras will be even more driven to drag this out. He wants more bidders.
It’s entirely possible, but I’m not sure waiting will actually pull more teams in. I think it’ll still just be the Cubs and Jays really bidding any kind of big money. Maybe they pull Boston in.

WE GOT A SIGNING!!!
Back up catcher Jorge Alfaro has been signed to a minor league deal. He'll go to ST and probably have an opt out if he doesn't make the roster by opening day, or by some predetermined day in the season so he can shop himself to a team in need.
This is a decent depth move in case Amaya or Gomes get injured in ST, or early in the season, and before a minor leaguer is ready to be promoted to the big leagues.
https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs...-catcher-jorge-alfaro-to-a-minor-league-deal/

Some different names, but the Dodgers did complete a trade to get Glasnow, and it appears it is contingent on him signing an extension.
Again, I'm okay with another team taking on his money. He's never pitched a full season.
I am annoyed about the Dodgers making an end run around the no sign & trade stuff in baseball.…but whatever. I won’t root for bad things for Glasnow, but I wouldn’t shed a tear if the Dodgers ink him to a big deal and he continues to be injury-plagued and rarely topping 100 innings.

I am annoyed about the Dodgers making an end run around the no sign & trade stuff in baseball.…but whatever. I won’t root for bad things for Glasnow, but I wouldn’t shed a tear if the Dodgers ink him to a big deal and he continues to be injury-plagued and rarely topping 100 innings.
The Cubs have done some corner cutting when it comes to IFA money, but I'd be shocked if some GMs and owners aren't getting pissed at the Dodgers.

I'll I'm seeing in my feeds is that Morel is sucking in the Dom League at 3rd base and that Chapman is now the perfect fit because of his defense. Where does that leave Morel other than outside looking in?

I need to turn all this noise off and just sit back and see what happens but that is hard to do.

And I hate the Dodgers and Yankees, only because they have the nuggets to pull shit off that the Cubs won't.

They need to give Morel 3B. He’ll hit and grow in the position. If not, others are coming behind him quickly.

One other thing I've read is they don't want Chapman on a LT deal as it would block Shaw. Suck a quandry!
I have the same view. If Chapman were better, like prime Arenado or Machado, I’d be in to sign and worry about Shaw later.

Not THOSE Giants....
fe_6de.gif

One other thing I've read is they don't want Chapman on a LT deal as it would block Shaw. Suck a quandry!
Chapman is essentially Aramis Rameriaz Similar profiles of what they are hitting free agency years. Not someone u look to give a 4 plus year contract and near 100 million dollar commitment to.

FYI, the Cubs signed some lefty named Thomas Pannone today. Seems like a AAA depth guy.
Also, if you don't have the Audacy app it's a pretty good one for listening to the Score, and quite a few other sports and music options. Scott Boras was on Hit and Run this weekend, and it's clear he was trying to nudge the Cubs into upping their bids on Hoskins and Bellinger. Boras likes to talk, but he isn't going on a Saturday morning talk show unless he's pushing an agenda. My guess is he's trying to squeeze more than one year out of the Cubs for Hoskins, and more money than Bellinger is being offered already. I forget the exact words, but I think it was along the lines of saying the Cubs need to show their level of commitment to their fans and bid on quality players.

Boras is pretty diligent about this. It could be a sign he's trying to get the Cubs to bid against themselves.

Boras is pretty diligent about this. It could be a sign he's trying to get the Cubs to bid against themselves.
He made comments about how Hoskins would have been added to the Phillies roster had they made it farther last post season.
Sure. Totally healthy, Scott.

Well, since nothing is happening, and probably won't going into Christmas unless a deal pops up today, I want to suggest to you folks to read up on Bleed Cubbie Blue. Al Yellon is running a series covering trades and free agent acquisitions each year. He started in the 1970s, I think. He's up to 2002. I'm a huge fan, and I love reminiscing over some of the names, especially the ones I don't remember, and the ones that nobody remembers. So many bad trades over the years.
Anyone else reading that series?

Well, since nothing is happening, and probably won't going into Christmas unless a deal pops up today, I want to suggest to you folks to read up on Bleed Cubbie Blue. Al Yellon is running a series covering trades and free agent acquisitions each year. He started in the 1970s, I think. He's up to 2002. I'm a huge fan, and I love reminiscing over some of the names, especially the ones I don't remember, and the ones that nobody remembers. So many bad trades over the years.
Anyone else reading that series?

Thanks for the heads up. He actually started on the 1962 season! I have some reading over the holidays! :)

Thanks for the heads up. He actually started on the 1962 season! I have some reading over the holidays! :)

I just relived the heady days when the Cubs landed Paul Bako and Damian Miller with two weeks of each other.

Reactions: hawkirugged17
I see where the Blue Jays are talking with Taylor, if they get a deal done, the market for Bellinger just got a lot smaller.

I see where the Blue Jays are talking with Taylor, if they get a deal done, the market for Bellinger just got a lot smaller.
I think Bellinger is going to happen with the Cubs. I think he wants to come back and I think the Cubs want him back. Boras is going to do his Boras things and the Cubs will likely wait out all those things, but patience will be required.

I still think Bellinger as a CF/1B hedge and Hoskins as a DH (with Morel at 3B), at least 1 starter (Imanaga, Bieber, Montgomery, Cease all still theoretically in play) and a couple back-end bullpen arms is a banger of an offseason and moves them into that 90-win expectancy space and likely division favorites. I think the roster is 80-82 win expectancy right now with no moves, as I hit in my last pod.

I think Bellinger is going to happen with the Cubs. I think he wants to come back and I think the Cubs want him back. Boras is going to do his Boras things and the Cubs will likely wait out all those things, but patience will be required.

I still think Bellinger as a CF/1B hedge and Hoskins as a DH (with Morel at 3B), at least 1 starter (Imanaga, Bieber, Montgomery, Cease all still theoretically in play) and a couple back-end bullpen arms is a banger of an offseason and moves them into that 90-win expectancy space and likely division favorites. I think the roster is 80-82 win expectancy right now with no moves, as I hit in my last pod.
boom-easy-peasy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT