ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread 🚽*****

Not all of the Japanese players have been posted, but I still think a lot of news will come out of the owner’s meeting the next 4 days. All those agents, GMs, and owners sloshing around is when deals happen.

The Dominican winter leagues are serious business for marginal guys trying to get a deal. Hopefully the ump wasn’t murdered later on.
Also, the pitch was inside.

Last edited:
Gird your loins, boys. We are about to get a Rhys Hoskins signing over Shohei Ohtani.

• Sad
Reactions: darylhawk
Gird your loins, boys. We are about to get a Rhys Hoskins signing over Shohei Ohtani.
Yeah I don't like the reports coming out last night and today about us being out of the Ohtani sweepstakes. Not that we were ever a favorite but I had somehow convinced myself we had a 30-40% chance.

Hoskins would be a good signing with or without Ohtani so I've got no problems with that.

Yeah I don't like the reports coming out last night and today about us being out of the Ohtani sweepstakes. Not that we were ever a favorite but I had somehow convinced myself we had a 30-40% chance.

Hoskins would be a good signing with or without Ohtani so I've got no problems with that.
Also worth noting that chaos could be breaking loose. Tons of conflicting reports today with Nightengale & Morosi saying Cubs look out and Jesse Rogers saying he feels like Cubs chances are fading, but that he doesn’t have enough to write about it. Ken Rosenthal saying the Cubs are still very much in it still, with Passan silent.

Then Dave Roberts talked to reporters about meeting with Shohei at Dodgers Stadium. Later, when the GM was asked, he acknowledged the comment and was disappointed by Roberts talking and said the Dodgers won’t talk about meetings. He was then asked about whether that could hurt the Dodgers’ chances and he said, “I don’t know.”

Could be a little chaos in what’s probably close to the 11th hour. So far, there have been at least small leaks from the Giants, Jays and Dodgers.

Also, Morel not in the lineup for the Aguilas tonight, at the same time as Counsell talks about Morel needing to be in the Cub lineup and other writers are tying him to a Rays trade.

Reactions: TheCainer
Jesse Rogers now saying he doesn’t think Ohtani to Cubs, that he’ll go to the Dodgers. Also said he doesn’t see Bellinger coming back. Said Glasnow is a good possibility, in play for Hoskins and possibly Chapman. He thought the window was closed on Soto, but might be open again. Would take 4 prospects, probably hitters and Cubs reluctant to deal young pitchers. But he feels the Cubs are out on Ohtani.

I don't think I said so, but, gird away.
I don’t often pick at you, but you literally said “We’re about to get a Rhys Hoskins signing over Shohei Ohtani”….does that imply that they’re getting one instead of the other? Getting Rhys and not getting Ohtani were always both potential outcomes, but one doesn’t necessitate the other.

Ohtani signs with the Cubs then I’m done with the Cubs after 33 years.
If this means you also **** off from this thread, I'm all in for Ohtani.

giphy.gif

Reactions: blhawk
I don’t often pick at you, but you literally said “We’re about to get a Rhys Hoskins signing over Shohei Ohtani”….does that imply that they’re getting one instead of the other? Getting Rhys and not getting Ohtani were always both potential outcomes, but one doesn’t necessitate the other.
You are quibbling. All I was saying was we aren't getting Ohtani.
Hoskins could be the 2024 version of Bellinger.

I guess I find it frustrating that they signed Bellinger for one year with the hopes of him signing long term and that appears to be a long shot. I heard they might sign Hoskins with a similar deal. Then they might trade for Glasnow, for a year. They might be interested in Soto…for a year.

I understand trying with Bellinger, but any Boras client is going to test free agency. Guess I’m just trying to wrap my head around this ‘one year’ idea. I also know they’re trying to learn from 2016, but I would hope they could go longer, or in Glasnow’s case get a commitment from him for a longer deal.

Ohtani signs with the Cubs then I’m done with the Cubs after 33 years.
Oh man now we’re really hoping Ohtani comes to the Windy City. You are the biggest crybaby on this board, would love to never have to read your posts where you whine like a little bitch again.

I guess I find it frustrating that they signed Bellinger for one year with the hopes of him signing long term and that appears to be a long shot. I heard they might sign Hoskins with a similar deal. Then they might trade for Glasnow, for a year. They might be interested in Soto…for a year.

I understand trying with Bellinger, but any Boras client is going to test free agency. Guess I’m just trying to wrap my head around this ‘one year’ idea. I also know they’re trying to learn from 2016, but I would hope they could go longer, or in Glasnow’s case get a commitment from him for a longer deal.
The Cubs are in an interesting place. The 2021 sell-off (with more in 2022) was clearly about improving the farm, and that was pretty successful with the Cubs pretty much a consensus top 5 system in baseball. The Cubs also have 4 of the 7 non-P/C positions locked up for the next 3 years. It’s very clear they need to bring in some offense this offseason, but they’re going to want to do it without locking up every position for the next several years. If they don’t get Ohtani (and it isn’t looking great at this point), then DH gives some flexibility, but they’ll want to leave a little space for guys to come up.

As for Hoskins, I think he makes a ton of sense and could be a great pickup. He’s less “prove it” than Bellinger, but it may still play similarly. He’s simply coming off a year lost to injury vs. having a couple down years to come back from. According to multiple reports, the Cubs and Hoskins have discussed 1 yr and multi-year deals. My question, and the reports haven’t been clear on this, is what Hoskins wants. Does he want a 1 yr deal with another bite at the apple next year or would he prefer a 3-4 year deal? It was widely reported that Bellinger turned down more than one multi-year offers last year because he wanted just the 1 year. Not sure if that’s where Hoskins is or not.

The Cubs are in an interesting place. The 2021 sell-off (with more in 2022) was clearly about improving the farm, and that was pretty successful with the Cubs pretty much a consensus top 5 system in baseball. The Cubs also have 4 of the 7 non-P/C positions locked up for the next 3 years. It’s very clear they need to bring in some offense this offseason, but they’re going to want to do it without locking up every position for the next several years. If they don’t get Ohtani (and it isn’t looking great at this point), then DH gives some flexibility, but they’ll want to leave a little space for guys to come up.

As for Hoskins, I think he makes a ton of sense and could be a great pickup. He’s less “prove it” than Bellinger, but it may still play similarly. He’s simply coming off a year lost to injury vs. having a couple down years to come back from. According to multiple reports, the Cubs and Hoskins have discussed 1 yr and multi-year deals. My question, and the reports haven’t been clear on this, is what Hoskins wants. Does he want a 1 yr deal with another bite at the apple next year or would he prefer a 3-4 year deal? It was widely reported that Bellinger turned down more than one multi-year offers last year because he wanted just the 1 year. Not sure if that’s where Hoskins is or not.
Yeah, I get that the players, in the right situation, want the Bellinger-type ‘prove it’ but outside of ticket sales, Bellinger was a waste. There’s a really good chance he’s not coming back, so who won? The player or the team? The player…I guess I would like to know what the Cubs view as their window of playoff baseball. Next year? two years? I would not like to give up prospects for Glasnow and have a repeat of Bellinger. I’d much rather see a good bullpen arm get a two year deal as opposed to a one year deal for Hoskins.

Yeah, I get that the players, in the right situation, want the Bellinger-type ‘prove it’ but outside of ticket sales, Bellinger was a waste. There’s a really good chance he’s not coming back, so who won? The player or the team? The player…I guess I would like to know what the Cubs view as their window of playoff baseball. Next year? two years? I would not like to give up prospects for Glasnow and have a repeat of Bellinger. I’d much rather see a good bullpen arm get a two year deal as opposed to a one year deal for Hoskins.
Bellinger was obviously a very good pickup for the Cubs last year and made them better. I have no problem with it. That the team came up short in the end doesn’t make the totality of it a waste. As for a window, Jed has stated many times that he wants to build a sustained winner that supports itself from within in large part, but if you look at the contracts the team has, it’s pretty clear the Cubs have set up a 3-yr window at this point. Happ, Hoerner, Suzuki, Swanson, Taillon, Steele are all under contract or team control for at least the next three years. Then you can also see the next wave of talent coming from the minors - PCA, Canario, Wicks, Horton, Shaw, Brown, Mervis and others are all MLB ready or very close. They won’t all hit, they won’t all stay Cubs, but that’s a very solid group. Also quite a few other young arms that could help with bullpen depth.

The Cubs need 1-2 starters, 1-2 bats and a couple bullpen arms and they’re going to be a good team. For all of Cubs social media proclaiming this offseason a total failure, Ohtani hasn’t signed, Glasnow and Bieber haven’t been traded, Yamamoto & Imanaga remain unsigned, Hoskins is still unsigned, Chapman is unsigned, Bellinger is unsigned, etc.

Bellinger was obviously a very good pickup for the Cubs last year and made them better. I have no problem with it. That the team came up short in the end doesn’t make the totality of it a waste. As for a window, Jed has stated many times that he wants to build a sustained winner that supports itself from within in large part, but if you look at the contracts the team has, it’s pretty clear the Cubs have set up a 3-yr window at this point. Happ, Hoerner, Suzuki, Swanson, Taillon, Steele are all under contract or team control for at least the next three years. Then you can also see the next wave of talent coming from the minors - PCA, Canario, Wicks, Horton, Shaw, Brown, Mervis and others are all MLB ready or very close. They won’t all hit, they won’t all stay Cubs, but that’s a very solid group. Also quite a few other young arms that could help with bullpen depth.

The Cubs need 1-2 starters, 1-2 bats and a couple bullpen arms and they’re going to be a good team. For all of Cubs social media proclaiming this offseason a total failure, Ohtani hasn’t signed, Glasnow and Bieber haven’t been traded, Yamamoto & Imanaga remain unsigned, Hoskins is still unsigned, Chapman is unsigned, Bellinger is unsigned, etc.
Cody Bellinger should be the biggest priority this off season. Bellinger is a real ball player not a showmen like the Japanese garbage. Cody should get 6 years 186 million.

Any deal for Glasnow might take a little time. I cannot see the Cubs taking on $25 million in salary and delivering Morel to the Rays. It seems like a multi-player deal would have to be worked out.

Any deal for Glasnow might take a little time. I cannot see the Cubs taking on $25 million in salary and delivering Morel to the Rays. It seems like a multi-player deal would have to be worked out.
I still think they could trade for Mike Trout.

So it looks like Ohtani to the Blue Jays. Good for them but I definitely wouldn't have thought that would happen.
Hopefully Yamamato (sp), Hoskins, a few good bullpen arms, and make damn sure Morel can be a good 3rd baseman and I'll call that a good offseason.

So it looks like Ohtani to the Blue Jays. Good for them but I definitely wouldn't have thought that would happen.
Hopefully Yamamato (sp), Hoskins, a few good bullpen arms, and make damn sure Morel can be a good 3rd baseman and I'll call that a good offseason.
We shall see. Toronto has been rumored all along. They are close to winning. Can afford him. And, although it was rumored he had a desire to stay on the West Coast, some reporting I saw was that he was more interested in landing in an international city. Toronto, Chicago, and LA really fit that bill. I don't think he wanted SF from the start, and I don't think the Mariners have the money.
I am more hopeful about Yamamoto than I ever was about Ohtani, and I think Jed has some deals cooking.

Take this for what it’s worth; but have seen it in a couple reports

Reactions: win1forthe
I'll ask one of the knuckleheads here- Do you ever remember such a "weird" Hot Stove session? Nothing happening, little to no accurate reporting. Or is it just me?

Reactions: lucas80
I'll ask one of the knuckleheads here- Do you ever remember such a "weird" Hot Stove session? Nothing happening, little to no accurate reporting. Or is it just me?
Definitely a different off-season, for sure. I expect lots of signings and trades over the next week or so. I am also glad the Cubs did not pay that price for Ohtani.

Reactions: kzoohawk80
One of the least active periods around the Winter meetings.
But, I think the dam has a crack in it now.
I just bought tickets to a ST game, so the Cubs can't say there isn't money to spend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT