ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread 🚽*****

Given the Cubs lack of tiebreak wins, I think 86 wins is probably the minimum that they’d have to do to get into the playoffs. There’s a chance they could get in at 84 or 85, but I think it’s likely they’d land in a tie there that they’d lose. They’re currently sitting at 64-65 right now with 33 games left to play. 22-11 gets them to 86-76.

Cubs have 2 more left vs. Miami, 6 vs Pittsburgh, 7 vs. Washington, 3 vs. the Yankees, 3 vs. the Dodgers, 3 vs. Oakland, 3 vs. Philly and 3 vs. Cincy left. If they get no sweeps, they would have to win every series left to get to 22-11.

It’s possible, but they have used up all margin for error at this point.
JD said the same.

Basically they have to win 2 out of every 3 games the rest of the way. An unlikely stretch goal, but not an impossible one.

JD said the same.

Basically they have to win 2 out of every 3 games the rest of the way. An unlikely stretch goal, but not an impossible one.

lets-go-chicago-cubs.gif

The early season blown saves are killing us. Just 4 of those makes the difference between 22-11 and 18-15
Can also point back to the FORTY ONE games where the Cubs scored 2 runs or fewer. In those games, the Cubs were 3-38.

I do think the offense has been a bigger issue than the bullpen this season, but when you play everything in the margins, it all matters.

Reactions: torbee and lucas80
Can also point back to the FORTY ONE games where the Cubs scored 2 runs or fewer. In those games, the Cubs were 3-38.

I do think the offense has been a bigger issue than the bullpen this season, but when you play everything in the margins, it all matters.

Sure but one guy doesn’t substantially change this crappy offense; one reliever would have changed the outcome.

Cubs offense showed up today.

Amaya's BA is now .233, 3 points higher than Happ, 5 higher than Paredes, and 6 higher than Swanson. Maybe he has turned a corner?

PCA up to .221 as well. Glad to see the continued development in these young guys.

Cubs offense showed up today.

Amaya's BA is now .233, 3 points higher than Happ, 5 higher than Paredes, and 6 higher than Swanson. Maybe he has turned a corner?

PCA up to .221 as well. Glad to see the continued development in these young guys.
With Amaya, it’s important to remember that he was legitimately a top 30 prospect in all of baseball for a couple years before injuries and COVID basically eliminated his development from 2020-2022. There’s a lot of talent in there that is just now starting to come out. We’ll see how he’s able to build on this.

I call this team the no hitting motherhumpers every night.

Reactions: hawkifann
Actually having one more big bat in the lineup might very well have made more difference….but we’ll never know.
We did have that bat, but Happ took 6 weeks off. Swanson disappeared. With the exception of some Morell homers 3B was a black hole. . Bellinger got injured. Hoerner is a 1960s 2B.

With Amaya, it’s important to remember that he was legitimately a top 30 prospect in all of baseball for a couple years before injuries and COVID basically eliminated his development from 2020-2022. There’s a lot of talent in there that is just now starting to come out. We’ll see how he’s able to build on this.
That's what I recall as well. I think I heard Boog say something like he only averaged 70-80 ABs over 3 years of his developmental period due to injuries and Covid. Still young enough to turn into a sold ML player. Fingers crossed.

They are positioned for a sweep. That is all you can ask for now. Beat up the bad teams and hope someone above you in the standings stumbles.

Reactions: hawkifann
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT