ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 thread*****

The Cubs have had a pretty tough schedule to start the season, so I was curious what their Strength of Schedule looked like. This site says we've been middle of the pack so far, but we do have the easiest remaining schedule in league:

It’s not even money, Mastro makes league minimum as a pre-arb guy. It’s just about the 40-man roster. He has options, so he can go down. At some point if/when they have someone else they want to put on the 40-man and he’s the move, then they’ll DFA.

I question when the hell they’re going to start IL-ing guys as soon as they’re hurt. Hoerner reportedly (per 670 The Score) not playing today, which is day 8 of not going on the 10-day IL. Dansby played poorly for 2 weeks with the bum knee before going on IL.

Oh, and who does Nick Madrigal have blackmail pictures of to continue to be on this roster?
I was angling at the money doesn't matter, they've already invested it in him. He goes down, stays on the 40 man, and he's used if needed in an emergency. Nobody is taking that money off the books for them, and Ricketts has kept Hoyer on the line when it comes to the luxury tax.
So, until there is more push on the 40 man roster you keep him around. I guess I'd have to look at things a little, but I don't think there is a IF candidate to add to the 40 man roster. So, we have a bit of organizational complacency right now. They certainly are turning over every rock looking for arms if you are watching the recent signings.
You are 100 percent right about Swanson and Hoerner and IL malfeasance. Both of them have been mishandled the last two weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkifann
Hendricks to the bullpen.

He and Smyly can have a "weren't those the days" party while collecting their $27M between them....

Maybe we can get Edwin Jackson back...

He and Smyly can have a "weren't those the days" party while collecting their $27M between them....

Maybe we can get Edwin Jackson back...
Meh. I think we were all in favor of bringing Hendricks back, and Smyly is useful when healthy. If Hendricks is done, well, a hearty handshake and a pat on the back to him.
It's the overwhelming number of injuries that has held this pitching staff back.

Well, the Cubs got their 2 hits for the night early. Also squeaked out a couple of runs due to the pitcher's wildness. Got to count your blessings I guess.

I was looking at Happ's game logs earlier and he is 5 for his last 41 ABs. Sounds like the perfect 5th place hitter. dws. He has had 6 multi-hit games this year including one 3-hit game.

• Wow
Reactions: lucas80
This has been an exciting baseball contest. CF Harris has been clutch. The Cubs would already be flying the W if not for him.

Wow

Chicago Cubs Win GIF by MLB

Interesting game. The wind was blowing out strongly, but the Cubs win on an infield chopper by Nico. Not as much offense for either team as you'd expect. Weird one. You could tell the pitchers were trying to keep everything on the corners and down.

Update on several pitchers. The news for Alzolay is not good. He's getting a second opinion. As mentioned in the article, a second opinion usually means you got bad news on the first opinion. Smyly, Wicks, and Palencia are all doing BP sessions or on rehab assignments.
No word about Almonte.
https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs...-wicks-taking-a-big-step-smyly-palencia-more/
I'm starting to think we have a problem with the head trainer or whoever it is who is supposed to be able to identify possible injuries and determine how much recovery time is needed and/or if any intervention is needed. Alzolay has probably been hurt since he starting sucking at the end of last season. It took forever to figure out that Dansby was hurt. We had a short bench for 8 games due to Nico's day-to-day injury. With all these pitchers on the IL I wonder if whatever problems they were having should have been identified sooner. We need guys healthy, but it only seems to be getting worse. Amazing that neither catcher has ended up on the IL yet; we would need to open up a 40-man spot to bring in another back-up. The win tonight takes the sting off a bit, but they gotta figure this out.

I'm starting to think we have a problem with the head trainer or whoever it is who is supposed to be able to identify possible injuries and determine how much recovery time is needed and/or if any intervention is needed. Alzolay has probably been hurt since he starting sucking at the end of last season. It took forever to figure out that Dansby was hurt. We had a short bench for 8 games due to Nico's day-to-day injury. With all these pitchers on the IL I wonder if whatever problems they were having should have been identified sooner. We need guys healthy, but it only seems to be getting worse. Amazing that neither catcher has ended up on the IL yet; we would need to open up a 40-man spot to bring in another back-up. The win tonight takes the sting off a bit, but they gotta figure this out.
Found a pic of the Cubs trainer....
6ZJM.gif

With Nico & Dansby it wasn’t identification of the injury, both were known hurt at the time they got hurt. My guess is the fact that so many others have been down led them to trying to play through. It all just carried on for too long.

At the end of the year, we are gonna need the 5 wins we shit away in April.

And 5, 0, 0, 7, 4, 3, 1, 2, 4, 2 over the last ten games ain’t gonna do it on offense. Hell the damn Cards are playing better right now.

LFG

Reactions: TheCainer
ATL starting going with a guy making first MLB start today and Cubs going Ben Brown

pitching against Cubs is probably easier than AAA

Good God, this team can't hit!

It's actually a system-wide problem. I just looked and there are only a handful of .300 hitters in the entire organization; all A-ball. WTF! The Cubs' hitting coaches are ruining Cubs hitters as bad as BF ruined Iowa QB's.

• Wow
Reactions: TheCainer

It's actually a system-wide problem. I just looked and there are only a handful of .300 hitters in the entire organization; all A-ball. WTF! The Cubs' hitting coaches are ruining Cubs hitters as bad as BF ruined Iowa QB's.
They said during the broadcast that the Cubs have a .180 BA over the last 16 games. Their opponent's ERA is 1.77 .

Talk about a slump...:eek:

Hendricks with a nifty couple innings to raise era to 10.47

JFC

Last week - 4, 3, 1, 2, 4, 2, 0 runs

I don't know how much this plays into the decision making on Hendricks, but I heard on the Score yesterday that he's within a month or so of having 10 years of MLB service. He's made $75 million, but the 10 year mark is important for a few reasons to players and their benefits. During the great rebuild the Cubs kept Doug Davis on the roster even though he was unable to pitch at the MLB level purely to get him to his 10 years of service. Slightly different obviously when you look at the 2011 team and the 2024 team, but I'm beginning to wonder if this might have something to do with just how long they will let Hendricks struggle.

I don't know how much this plays into the decision making on Hendricks, but I heard on the Score yesterday that he's within a month or so of having 10 years of MLB service. He's made $75 million, but the 10 year mark is important for a few reasons to players and their benefits. During the great rebuild the Cubs kept Doug Davis on the roster even though he was unable to pitch at the MLB level purely to get him to his 10 years of service. Slightly different obviously when you look at the 2011 team and the 2024 team, but I'm beginning to wonder if this might have something to do with just how long they will let Hendricks struggle.
Gee, I sure am glad the Cubs are sabotaging the early season so that a guys who's made $75M can keep his dental plan. I sure would hate for him and his family to struggle....

Reactions: blhawk
Gee, I sure am glad the Cubs are sabotaging the early season so that a guys who's made $75M can keep his dental plan. I sure would hate for him and his family to struggle....
@JedHoyer
IDK. At the time they did it with Davis because it’s a gesture to players and agents. Is that what’s going on with KH? IDK. I think they are very hesitant to seem callous to a guy with such history, and who is so classy.

I would need to look at the minor league systems compared to the level as a whole - batting average is historically down. At the MLB level, across the entire league, the average batting average is right around .240, which is not going to leave space for many .300 hitters.

I think this is a big factor. His contract was originally picked up July 10, 2014, so we’re looking right around July 10. I know the date is prior to the All Star break. I know a lot of people will think eff Hendricks and want to cut him now, but he’s been huge for this organization for a long time and I think they clearly want to keep him in the fold as a coach down the road. I think they’ll take care of him with regard to the full vesting of his pension (and really, they probably should).

All that said, I’m not sure why today was the day to pull him into a 1-0 ballgame in the 8th. I can’t say he’s THE reason the Cubs lost because scoring zero runs is THE reason the Cubs lost, but it was an odd choice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT