ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 thread*****

I would need to look at the minor league systems compared to the level as a whole - batting average is historically down. At the MLB level, across the entire league, the average batting average is right around .240, which is not going to leave space for many .300 hitters.
Quit trying to make excuses for Ian Happ and Seyia Suzuki. They’re terrible baseball players.

As if the cubs play recently wasn’t bad enough

Sick Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone

Reactions: QChawks

Braves RHP Smith-Shawver to IL after hurting oblique in debut​

The Atlanta Braves placed right-hander AJ Smith-Shawver on the 15-day injured list Friday with a strained left oblique muscle.

Smith-Shawver, 21, made his major league debut Thursday and struck out four batters over 4⅓ scoreless innings against the Chicago Cubs. He gave up three hits and two walks before exiting the Braves' 3-0 win.

Must be something in the water at Wrigley?

I'd be okay with PCA coming back up, Bellinger going to 1B, and Busch taking a few days in AAA. That's about the only way they can change things up offensively right now unless Happ gets injured, or they trade for a catcher.

All that said, I’m not sure why today was the day to pull him into a 1-0 ballgame in the 8th. I can’t say he’s THE reason the Cubs lost because scoring zero runs is THE reason the Cubs lost, but it was an odd choice.

Counsell is really reticent to use his "A" bullpen guys if his team is behind. He doesn't mind "punting" games early in the year if it means his main guys will be well rested for the next few games.

I'd be okay with PCA coming back up, Bellinger going to 1B, and Busch taking a few days in AAA. That's about the only way they can change things up offensively right now unless Happ gets injured, or they trade for a catcher.
I’d be okay with Happ being DFA.

I saw that Counsell has pushed Shota back in the rotation, essentially skipping this start due to the rain out in order to give him some rest. I approve of this.

Reactions: hawkifann
PCA with the bat throw! :)

I'm not sure saying he was almost hit is accurate. One pitch behind him and one over his head is a bit suspicious coming from a guy with that much MLB experience. Why he'd throw at PCA, I don't know except maybe he's an old school red ass, or maybe something happened previously. BS the ump didn't have the nuts to give a warning after the pitch over PCA's head.

Reactions: TheCainer
Mother nature prohibited us from listening to Joe Buck on the call last night

So for that, I’m appreciative
Instead we are being treated to a bromance with Adam Wainwright. I’m not sure this is better than Buck.

I was just reading on BCB that 40 years ago today the Cubs traded Bill Buckner to the Red Sox for Dennis Eckersley. It was a mostly okay trade, but we didn’t get the benefit of a sober Eck.

I was just reading on BCB that 40 years ago today the Cubs traded Bill Buckner to the Red Sox for Dennis Eckersley. It was a mostly okay trade, but we didn’t get the benefit of a sober Eck.
He also was widely reported as being completely against going to the bullpen with the Cubs. It was later, after drinking his way through Chicago, that he opened up to going to the pen.

He also was widely reported as being completely against going to the bullpen with the Cubs. It was later, after drinking his way through Chicago, that he opened up to going to the pen.
That dude has had an interesting life…lots of highs and massive lows.

Not good seeing Leiter not really have his splitter last night. Hopefully just a blip as he was pretty bad late last year when he lost it, and is practically unhittable when he has it

Not good seeing Leiter not really have his splitter last night. Hopefully just a blip as he was pretty bad late last year when he lost it, and is practically unhittable when he has it
He’s definitely two different pitchers based on that pitch. Without the split, he’s a fringe major leaguer who has had trouble sticking in the bigs. With the split, he’s an elite bullpen weapon that can be deployed against all handedness.

Sweeper, sweeper…..effing insanity on this ESPN broadcast. You never heard the term for a pitch five years ago, now it’s like a contest to call anyone a sweeper.

Reactions: QChawks
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT