ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 thread*****

It’s really interesting (bad) timing. Jed is heading into the last year of his deal and if this team doesn’t get turned around in the next few weeks, the rebuild that wasn’t going to be a rebuild will be going into year 4. Jed has done a good job rebuilding the farm and their scouting infrastructure seems strong, but he hasn’t been able to put together the MLB team. Now, they are a team with a lot of what should be “good” players, but no great ones currently, and as the kids on the farm get to MLB ready, the Cubs have blocks all over their lineup.

Some trades are inevitable, but at the same time, they’re not really built to sell. There are guys they can move, for sure, but then it’ll come down to whether Jed keeps the long view or gets more into short-term desperation mode to save his job.
Good discussion on BCB about Jed's future. Al Yellon threw out an interesting name, Sam Fuld. He's done good things in the front office after his playing days ended.
Kim Ng is getting a lot of talk, but she kind of fell out of view. I don't know if there is a back story, but many tied her to some high profile open jobs.

Reactions: hawkifann
Not really much to sell that makes sense unfortunately. Bellinger is about it unless Happ waives his no trade. I’d only sell outfielders as that’s where the most young talent that’s currently blocked is. I’d keep Taillon as you’re going to pay more than that for a free agent over offseason, and probably won’t get that much for him anyways. I’m fine trading Neris if someone wants him. Same with Hendricks if he wants but again not getting much in return

Not really much to sell that makes sense unfortunately. Bellinger is about it unless Happ waives his no trade. I’d only sell outfielders as that’s where the most young talent that’s currently blocked is. I’d keep Taillon as you’re going to pay more than that for a free agent over offseason, and probably won’t get that much for him anyways. I’m fine trading Neris if someone wants him. Same with Hendricks if he wants but again not getting much in return
Hendricks or Taillon are looking like moveable arms. As @hawkifann has mentioned I would not be shocked if Nico is moved now, or in the offseason. The Palatine Pounder Mike Tauchman is a #4 OF that a lot of teams would like. Suziki's remaining years and money might mean he's off the market. I don't think anyone in the BP is tradable, unless Leiter comes back healthy, or some team has a way of making sure Neris is never used after the 7th inning.

Hendricks just gained his 5/10 years of service, so he won’t be easy to move.

It’s pretty unusual for a GM or manager to go into the last year of their contract, so I’m guessing they either sign Jed to an extension or move on. While I applaud his ability to rebuild the minor league system and bring in talent, his work at the major league level has been average, at best. I’m ready to move on.

Reactions: hawkifann
Hendricks or Taillon are looking like moveable arms. As @hawkifann has mentioned I would not be shocked if Nico is moved now, or in the offseason. The Palatine Pounder Mike Tauchman is a #4 OF that a lot of teams would like. Suziki's remaining years and money might mean he's off the market. I don't think anyone in the BP is tradable, unless Leiter comes back healthy, or some team has a way of making sure Neris is never used after the 7th inning.
Nico is a good call, as Morel is actually pretty good at 2B and that opens 3B for Shaw. I personally just don’t see the upside in trading Jamo as I think we wouldn’t get much and would wind up paying more for an equal replacement for next year. Maybe someone will overpay though which would make it worthwhile. If Horton and Wicks weren’t both question marks for next year cause of health I’d be more in favor of it

Hendricks just gained his 5/10 years of service, so he won’t be easy to move.

It’s pretty unusual for a GM or manager to go into the last year of their contract, so I’m guessing they either sign Jed to an extension or move on. While I applaud his ability to rebuild the minor league system and bring in talent, his work at the major league level has been average, at best. I’m ready to move on.
I’d trade him for a bag of seeds

A lot of people would agree with that, but now Hendricks can veto that trade.
He can, and players have done this in the past. In fact certain Cubs have done this, but if this season continues to play out poorly for the Cubs, most players agree to be traded of a shot at a WS ring, and that playoff money.

He can, and players have done this in the past. In fact certain Cubs have done this, but if this season continues to play out poorly for the Cubs, most players agree to be traded of a shot at a WS ring, and that playoff money.
Yep, just makes potentially more challenging to deal him. Also they were talking on the radio today about how they might have to incentivize someone like Happ to waive his no-trade.

Do you know how you know when it's just not your year? When you give up 3 hits in a game, all home runs, and to the 7-8-9 hitters. I mean, if this was a script for a movie Hollywood would reject it because it's not believable.

I am going to ask the brain trust here about Porter Hodge. Can hit upper 90s on the fastball. Good slider. Strikes guys out. Why not give him a shot as the closer? Seems to fit the profile of a hard throwing, strikeout pitcher with a second pitch.

Can't be any worse than what we've trotted out there this season.

Reactions: lucas80
Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN

Holy cow, this team has gotten good at losing. 7 games under .500 and last place is impressive for a team with a $226M payroll, which is >$50M more than the 2nd highest in their division, with the other 3 teams in the MLB bottom 10. Heck of an effort...

Neris????

Have we worn out the Giants BP yet? In this series, they've thrown 4, 6, 4, and 4 relievers again today.

If we get to extra innings, we should annihilate them, right?:rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT