ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Indiana Fever at Seattle Storm Game Thread*****

She did end up with good numbers on her box score line. I'm just trying to look at her play from the same critical perspective given the other players. Team loss.
As much as her 3 wasn't falling, Mitchell was horrible shooting and made lots of bad decisions with the ball in her hand.

Reactions: Sandistar
It was her best game of the season, overall, imho.
Which has been said from one game to the next for the most part. Clearly she's heading in the right direction. All they need is that first win, (the hardest one to get), and I think they'll settle in a bit.

Reactions: amahawk
I love Clark, and agree she's been improving her play over the five games. She's not above critique, nor is her game. That's how she gets so many over-the-top haters.

Honest question: do you think it would fly for her to go 2-10 during a game if she was playing for Vegas?

First game I missed. Don’t think I missed much. Well I guess I missed another game that was streaming only.
Sounds like she still makes a little progress.

Last edited:
I love Clark, and agree she's been improving her play over the five games. She's not above critique, nor is her game. That's how she gets so many over-the-top haters.

Honest question: do you think it would fly for her to go 2-10 during a game if she was playing for Vegas?
Plum was 4-14 in their 2nd game this year, 29%. Jackie Young had nearly the same stat line in their 1st game against Phoenix, 6-16 & 2-8 from 3. 23/7/7 vs CC last night with 21/7/7

Plum was 4-14 in their 2nd game this year, 29%. Jackie Young had nearly the same stat line in their 1st game against Phoenix, 6-16 & 2-8 from 3. 23/7/7 vs CC last night with 21/7/7
Interesting. So, as the vet players go, that seems (without knowing game situation) a yes. Same for all rookies? Same for Clark?

Meh….Mitchell started 3-11 I believe & shes 5-8 and not the same rebounder or assist getter….

Don’t hear me wrong Caitlyn has plenty to improve on and I’ll say it again her defense is just flat lazy, but the thing is she IS Caitlyn Clark and she could score at any moment and she spreads the court just by being on it.
She IS actually Caitlin Clark..how one of the most recognizable athletes in the country is still having her name spelled wrong is beyond me. By Hawk fans especially..

Interesting. So, as the vet players go, that seems (without knowing game situation) a yes. Same for all rookies? Same for Clark?

It is kind of a complex question because if she was playing with the likes of Plum and Wilson, she wouldn't be the number one focus of every defense she faced and probably wouldn't be going 2-10 during a game very often.

It is kind of a complex question because if she was playing with the likes of Plum and Wilson, she wouldn't be the number one focus of every defense she faced and probably wouldn't be going 2-10 during a game very often.
Yeah, her being hounded by opposing teams hasn't really been freeing up her teammates like people expected.

Or I should add....they aren't taking advantage of it.

CC is getting hounded in these games because the "Vets" on other teams don't want to see her do well vs them. You can take your pick on why but jealousy is obviously high on the list. One thing I have noticed is CC getting hammered by screens and clobbered at the rim, roughing her up seems to be a concerted effort. On the other hand the Fever play soft. Soft defense and rebounding and they are pathetically soft/bad at setting screens. I constantly see them basically get out of the way on screens vs holding their ground and properly screening the defender. Also they don't stick up for her when she gets roughed up. I don't know what the deal is with Boston but she is a slow rather unathletic plodder who can't jump this year. I don't think it's a coincidence that Iowa was able to beat South Carolina when she was playing for them last year versus this year when she wasn't.

Yeah, it does seem to be complex. I think it may illustrate that she is on the right team to develop and bring along "her game" as a focal point. It will just take time and patience.

Yeah, her being hounded by opposing teams hasn't really been freeing up her teammates like people expected.

Or I should add....they aren't taking advantage of it.

I think it is that they aren't taking advantage of it. It is probably more that the offensive schemes aren't being designed to take advantage than it is that her teammates aren't.

She IS actually Caitlin Clark..how one of the most recognizable athletes in the country is still having her name spelled wrong is beyond me. By Hawk fans especially..

I’m gonna tell you a funny story, we are all bothered by different things… You are clearly bothered by someone calling you the wrong name and spelling your name wrong…

I had a client one day when I was still in the car industry. Call me Jack about 15 times in a conversation. After he left my salesman asked me why I didn’t correct him… I said number one that kind of stuff doesn’t really bother me that muc. 2nd of all I didn’t really want to embarrass him because I really do generally care for people and if I thought I was gonna have to see him again I would’ve corrected it & got it out-of-the-way but I knew this guy was from out of town. He was in town visiting a friend and he just stopped to get brochures so I let it go. …

Point is… Feel free to spell my name wrong I won’t complain about it🤷‍♂️

I think it is that they aren't taking advantage of it. It is probably more that the offensive schemes aren't being designed to take advantage than it is that her teammates aren't.
I've only seen a couple of games, both against Connecticut. In the first game, after setting a high ball screen for Clark, Boston would roll all the way to the basket. Unfortunately, Connecticut was sending an aggressive double team at Clark and Clark had no easy outlet pass (since Boston was rolling all the way to the basket where there were defenders). This led to several turnovers by Clark. In the second Connecticut game, Boston stayed on the perimeter after screening for Clark (basically either a pick-and-pop or a short roll). This allowed Clark to get Boston the ball with a temporary numerical advantage (4-on-3 since Clark was doubled away from the basket). This means that Boston now has to be able to make plays facing the basket from the perimeter. Not exactly her calling card to this point in her career. However, Boston was able to make plays from the perimeter a few times late in the second Connecticut game and, if she improves in that area, that ball screen with Clark will become deadly. An alternative is to use someone other than Boston (their PF perhaps?) as the screener and keep Boston on the block.

There was obvious dramatic improvement in the Fever's teamwork and chemistry between the first Connecticut game and the second one. I was very encouraged by it. I haven't seen the other games though so can't conclude that it's a trend. Why are they putting so many games behind paywalls!?!?

I've only seen a couple of games, both against Connecticut. In the first game, after setting a high ball screen for Clark, Boston would roll all the way to the basket. Unfortunately, Connecticut was sending an aggressive double team at Clark and Clark had no easy outlet pass (since Boston was rolling all the way to the basket where there were defenders). This led to several turnovers by Clark. In the second Connecticut game, Boston stayed on the perimeter after screening for Clark (basically either a pick-and-pop or a short roll). This allowed Clark to get Boston the ball with a temporary numerical advantage (4-on-3 since Clark was doubled away from the basket). This means that Boston now has to be able to make plays facing the basket from the perimeter. Not exactly her calling card to this point in her career. However, Boston was able to make plays from the perimeter a few times late in the second Connecticut game and, if she improves in that area, that ball screen with Clark will become deadly. An alternative is to use someone other than Boston (their PF perhaps?) as the screener and keep Boston on the block.

There was obvious dramatic improvement in the Fever's teamwork and chemistry between the first Connecticut game and the second one. I was very encouraged by it. I haven't seen the other games though so can't conclude that it's a trend. Why are they putting so many games behind paywalls!?!?

Great analysis. I got the WNBA league pass for $8/mo for a few months. I might not get it in the future, but to see CC and KM's first season games it has been worth it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT