ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Indiana Fever at Seattle Storm Game Thread*****

That was poor late game management from Sides & Indiana.
From the 5 minute mark on down, every choice that was made was wrong.
Sitting Clark, while she was rolling, at the 5 minute mark was odd. Seattle proceeded to push it to a 7 point lead. Somehow the Fever made it a game. Again, the last few possesions were chaotic and frenetic. That is poor coaching.

Sitting Clark, while she was rolling, at the 5 minute mark was odd. Seattle proceeded to push it to a 7 point lead. Somehow the Fever made it a game. Again, the last few possesions were chaotic and frenetic. That is poor coaching.
Agreed

Reactions: MplsHawk
Meh. It is probably poor coaching, but how about the Timberwolves tonight on offense at the end of the game?

Do their failures in the WCF Game 1 mean their coach is doing a poor job?

Indy has a lot of things to figure out. Poor coaching, poor play by players, including not boxing out, not getting stops, and not playing the right way. Five games in, and I don't see much in the way of improvement. No chemistry, and I wonder if the roster construction is good. They have no "Identity." It's hot mess.

Clark can’t depend on her teammates like she did at Iowa. That was an underrated group of players who ran the court, had great hands, and finished at the rim or from 3. Clark could make teams pay for all the attention. I’m not sure the Fever have an answer with this roster. On one hand you could say the coach last year understood the talent and tried to limit possessions. Only way they won even 13 games.

Clark can’t depend on her teammates like she did at Iowa. That was an underrated group of players who ran the court, had great hands, and finished at the rim or from 3. Clark could make teams pay for all the attention. I’m not sure the Fever have an answer with this roster. On one hand you could say the coach last year understood the talent and tried to limit possessions. Only way they won even 13 games.
The post play has been shockingly bad. Like, i didn’t follow the WNBA and I wasn’t sure what to expect but I’m shocked how we get killed in the post every game.

The one player who can make opposition pay, appears to have stone hands, and drops a lot of CC’s passes. Fagbenle.

Holy shit that was hard to watch! I'll admit I'm a new women's basketball fan, only because of CC, but I'm not sure how much more of this shit I can watch!

I always heard people liked WBB because they play the game with better fundamentals. I call bullshit on that!... Isn't making a layup considered a fundamental? An occasional block out would be nice, too! ****!

Holy shit that was hard to watch! I'll admit I'm a new women's basketball fan, only because of CC, but I'm not sure how much more of this shit I can watch!

I always heard people liked WBB because they play the game with better fundamentals. I call bullshit on that!... Isn't making a layup considered a fundamental? An occasional block out would be nice, too! ****!
On the other hand, it could be that every team plays with good fundamentals except the fever.

Clark has figured out the turnovers and her defense is improving. She’s done her part now the bigs need to learn how to rebound.
I will say the one other thing she needs to start doing more of before the end of the regular season, is cutting back door and repositioning off the ball, particularly off her passes.

So it will make her more fatigued............cool! :D

Can't tell you how many times, though, she passed it to the wing or high post, and had an angle to backdoor cut or reposition outside the arc for 3.............and instead either stood there or floated away/took herself out of the play.

I think it's more of an effort and "it's only the first few weeks of the season" thing, than it just not being an option for Caitlin offensively.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Sides took Clark out when game was tied 69-69 at 5:49. There was a least a minute (or longer) injury/blood delay before game resumed. At 4:10 Sides sent Clark to the scoring table where she sat waiting to get in for almost a minute at 3:19.

Crunch time in winnable game and Sides has Clark sitting for 2 and a 1/2 minutes starting at 5:49. Clark shoud have been back immediately after the blood/injury delay. What was Sides thinking? No excuse to have her on bench at all after the blood issue was resolved. And, that was resolved before play even resumed.

I will say the one other thing she needs to start doing more of before the end of the regular season, is cutting back door and repositioning off the ball, particularly off her passes.

Can't tell you how many times, though, she passed it to the wing or high post, and had an angle to backdoor cut or reposition outside the arc for 3.............and instead either stood there or floated away/took herself out of the play.

I think it's more of an effort and "it's only the first few weeks of the season" thing, than it just not being an option for Caitlin offensively.
I think it is simply energy conservation.

I totally agree with you with the roster construction. The GM might want to look at other options to fit with Clark's style of play. I know it's early in the year, but I guess I'm throwing things at the wall to see what will stick.

Reactions: Tunadog
The fact clark was benched with around 5 minutes left in the game is just insane.
Nobody expected much from this team in wins/losses, but they certainly should expect better coaching. This lady isn't going to make it all year.

Reactions: Sandistar
I totally agree with you with the roster construction. The GM might want to look at other options to fit with Clark's style of play. I know it's early in the year, but I guess I'm throwing things at the wall to see what will stick.
The GM is going to do what? Lol.

The GM has drafted 2 number 1s that are the exact opposite of each other. She's going to have to figure out how to get rid of one without looking like an idiot. I don't see how Boston will ever be an up tempo player. As someone posted her +/- numbers are horrible.

The GM is going to do what? Lol.

The GM has drafted 2 number 1s that are the exact opposite of each other. She's going to have to figure out how to get rid of one without looking like an idiot. I don't see how Boston will ever be an up tempo player. As someone posted her +/- numbers are horrible.
It could work in theory like a Shaq/Kobe pairing. Problem is while Clark is trending up, Boston is playing like kwame brown.

Jesus, Mitchell and Clark are f'ing awful shooting tonight. If they were merely lousy, this game would be tied.

Still waiting to see this rookie of the year from last season. 14 mins and 4 points? -18

Ooook

Overall the Fever shot just 43% overall and 27% from 3.

2-7 (29%) overall and 0-2 (0%) from three: Aliyah Boston
5-17 (29%) overall and 2-7 (29%) from three: Kelsey Mitchell
6-16 (38%) overall and 2-8 (25%) from three: Caitlin Clark

If you live in the right market, on the abc overflow they are carrying the Indiana feed. Here in the DSM area with YTTV, the game is there and it is Indiana broadcasters. I think that is Iowa wide and some other states.

I've posted this before but here it is again:

The 17 Fever games on Local TV in 5 States:

Thurs., May 16 vs. Liberty, 7 p.m. ET
Wed., May 22 @ Storm, 10 p.m. ET
Sat., May 25 @ Aces, 9 p.m. ET
Thurs., May 30 vs. Storm, 7 p.m. ET
*Sat., June 1 vs. Sky, 1 p.m. ET (subject to change)
Sun., June 2 @ Liberty, 7 p.m. ET
Mon., June 10 @ Sun, 7 p.m. ET
Thurs., June 13 vs. Dream, 7 p.m. ET
Sun., June 23 @ Sky, 6 p.m. ET
Thurs., June 27 @ Storm, 10 p.m. ET
Wed., July 10 vs. Mystics, 12 p.m. ET
Mon., August 26 @ Dream, 7:30 p.m. ET
Wed., September 4 vs. Sparks, 7 p.m. ET
Sun., September 8 vs. Dream, 4 p.m. ET
Wed., September 11 vs. Aces, 7 p.m. ET
Sun., September 15 vs. Wings, 3 p.m. ET
Thurs., September 19 @ Mystics, 7 p.m. ET

TV Stations airing the games (subject to change) include:

Davenport, Iowa: WQAD 8.1, 8.3 (TEGNA)
Des Moines, Iowa: WOI 5.1 & KCWI 23.1 (TEGNA)

Indianapolis, Ind.: WTHR 13.1, 13.3 & WALV 46.1 (TEGNA)
Evansville, Ind.: WFIE 14.2 (Gray Television)
Fort Wayne, Ind.: WPTA 21.3 (Gray Television)
Lafayette, Ind.: WPBY 35.1, 35.2 (Coastal Television Broadcasting Group)
South Bend, Ind.: WCWW 25.1 & WMYS 69.1 (Weigel); WNDU 16.2 (Gray Television)

Champaign-Springfield, Ill.: WCIX 49.1 & WCIA 3.1 (Nexstar)

Cincinnati, Ohio: WXIX 19.3 (Gray Television)
Dayton, Ohio: WKEF 22.3 (Sinclair)

Lexington, Ky.: WKYT 27.2 (Gray Television)
Louisville, Ky.: WHAS 11.1, 11.2 (TEGNA)

Reactions: Tenacious E

This. She passes and stands...it doesn't work in this league. Also, she needs to run the floor on breaks. She stops after a steal waiting for the ball and very quickly she's behind the play. She's not used to playing without the ball. Think about her Iowa days...how many times did she get the layup on a pass up the floor because she took off ahead of everyone? Almost never did she get a fast break layup unless she was the one who stole the ball. If that makes sense. She has other ball handlers now...sprint the floor, spot up or go to the rim for a pass/layup.

Last edited:
I've posted this before but here it is again:

The 17 Fever games on Local TV in 5 States:

Thurs., May 16 vs. Liberty, 7 p.m. ET
Wed., May 22 @ Storm, 10 p.m. ET
Sat., May 25 @ Aces, 9 p.m. ET
Thurs., May 30 vs. Storm, 7 p.m. ET
*Sat., June 1 vs. Sky, 1 p.m. ET (subject to change)
Sun., June 2 @ Liberty, 7 p.m. ET
Mon., June 10 @ Sun, 7 p.m. ET
Thurs., June 13 vs. Dream, 7 p.m. ET
Sun., June 23 @ Sky, 6 p.m. ET
Thurs., June 27 @ Storm, 10 p.m. ET
Wed., July 10 vs. Mystics, 12 p.m. ET
Mon., August 26 @ Dream, 7:30 p.m. ET
Wed., September 4 vs. Sparks, 7 p.m. ET
Sun., September 8 vs. Dream, 4 p.m. ET
Wed., September 11 vs. Aces, 7 p.m. ET
Sun., September 15 vs. Wings, 3 p.m. ET
Thurs., September 19 @ Mystics, 7 p.m. ET

TV Stations airing the games (subject to change) include:

Davenport, Iowa: WQAD 8.1, 8.3 (TEGNA)
Des Moines, Iowa: WOI 5.1 & KCWI 23.1 (TEGNA)

Indianapolis, Ind.: WTHR 13.1, 13.3 & WALV 46.1 (TEGNA)
Evansville, Ind.: WFIE 14.2 (Gray Television)
Fort Wayne, Ind.: WPTA 21.3 (Gray Television)
Lafayette, Ind.: WPBY 35.1, 35.2 (Coastal Television Broadcasting Group)
South Bend, Ind.: WCWW 25.1 & WMYS 69.1 (Weigel); WNDU 16.2 (Gray Television)

Champaign-Springfield, Ill.: WCIX 49.1 & WCIA 3.1 (Nexstar)

Cincinnati, Ohio: WXIX 19.3 (Gray Television)
Dayton, Ohio: WKEF 22.3 (Sinclair)

Lexington, Ky.: WKYT 27.2 (Gray Television)
Louisville, Ky.: WHAS 11.1, 11.2 (TEGNA)

You're doing god's work Fran.

Boston still letting the missed layup live in her head.
For me, I figure the points will come. I'm more concerned with her inability to exhibit domination, nay, competence, in the paint in terms of defense and rebounding. Fever have gotten killed in the post and rebounding. I will say the upshot to all of this is Caitlin's baptism by fire and that the team is going to come out of the crucible reforged to maximize her skillset. She's improved massively from the first game, and I think she has gotten better each game. It could be that Boston, Mitchell, and everyone else - including the coach - is going to have to fall on their faces before they truly mentally hand the keys to the team over to her.

The product might get even worse moving forward. They want to expand from 12 to 16 teams, which means the current "talent" will be even more spread out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT