ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Iowa @ Rutgers game thread*****

I fell asleep about a half hour ago and woke up just when the Hawks went up 74-73. I almost missed the end of the game. What a great win!

giphy.gif

Reactions: Nohawknamesleft
RU is a much better team than Minnesota. That loss was completely self-inflicted.

Gophers were a bad loss and this a very good win. Rutgers is much better than Minnesota. If Rutgers gets the right kind of basket they could well be a Sweet 16 team. They are very physical.

For the record, that was a pretty damn good 03.play call for Rutgers.
I didn’t hate it, but by the time they pass it in and pass it back, there’s already a second burned off the clock. You get three dribbles and a shot. They were never getting anything better than a near half courter which is why I think you have to take the chance of throwing it down court and hoping Garza isn’t quick enough to make it to the ball

I didn’t hate it, but by the time they pass it in and pass it back, there’s already a second burned off the clock. You get three dribbles and a shot. They were never getting anything better than a near half courter which is why I think you have to take the chance of throwing it down court and hoping Garza isn’t quick enough to make it to the ball
True, the long pass was sorta negated by Nunge, so plan b is feed it directly to inbounder as Nunge can’t defend him and now he’s running full speed for 2.5 seconds, Like chess, you can’t take everything away, and go with your next best attacking play...I’m just glad it wasnt Marcus Carr...

Kegan needs WAY more minutes!!!!!!!!!!!

If C McC really cannot go I think we'll see Ke Murray start. The downstream affect is either or perhaps both Kr Murray and Tony Perkins see some floor time.

If Joey T has a serious eye injury, and not being in the late game defensive situations must mean his eye was at least blurry we are looking at serious minutes for three more freshmen.

Aaron Ulis basically became ConMac,
1-2, 4A, 0 TO, 3R....
allowed Fran to sit the ever erratic JoeT for a guy that doesn’t Turn ball over and does eschew the FGA for the pass to Garza ( at least 2 assist to Garza, maybe 3]

he may have jumped JoeT in the playing time rotation...

Reactions: Moral
True, the long pass was sorta negated by Nunge, so plan b is feed it directly to inbounder as Nunge can’t defend him and now he’s running full speed for 2.5 seconds, Like chess, you can’t take everything away, and go with your next best attacking play...I’m just glad it wasnt Marcus Carr...
True! What it boils down to is a nice defensive playcall by the ole ball coach!

True! What it boils down to is a nice defensive playcall by the ole ball coach!
And your thoughts on Ulis? I though he had a very nice well played prime time performance in a tough place under very stressful circumstances, certainly out playing joeT

And your thoughts on Ulis? I though he had a very nice well played prime time performance in a tough place under very stressful circumstances, certainly out playing joeT
Agreed. We are really going to like Ulis. If Bohannon hadn’t returned, he’d be logging a ton of minutes and likely doing quite well. He always seemed to make the right pass and find guys in position to make shots. With no turnovers and 4 assists (should’ve been 5 if Fredrick made that wide open corner three!) he looked really poised.

There was a possession where Young and one of Rutgers’ forwards ran a pick and roll and I think it was Ulis and Garza on the defense and it worked out that Ulis ended up guarding both of them in the same sequence, Rutgers missed a shot, Ulis skied for the board, then got an assist on the other end. Dude is a baller

Agreed. We are really going to like Ulis. If Bohannon hadn’t returned, he’d be logging a ton of minutes and likely doing quite well. He always seemed to make the right pass and find guys in position to make shots. With no turnovers and 4 assists (should’ve been 5 if Fredrick made that wide open corner three!) he looked really poised.

There was a possession where Young and one of Rutgers’ forwards ran a pick and roll and I think it was Ulis and Garza on the defense and it worked out that Ulis ended up guarding both of them in the same sequence, Rutgers missed a shot, Ulis skied for the board, then got an assist on the other end. Dude is a baller
Agree and Yes he does have the ability to sky for rebounds, and with those skills will be a solid sets of defensive skills. JoeTs guaranteed minimum minutes may be in jeopardy

Reactions: unoHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT