ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Maryland & Northwestern at IOWA Games Thread (3 of the 4 games are on BTN TV)*****

Maryland wins 8-6.

Again, walks were the story of this game.

2 walks in the 1st--both MD runners scored

plus

2 walks in the 7th--both MD runners scored
....................................................................................

4 runs given up because of walks!!!!
======================================

cc: @KyleHuesmann

Walks are the story of this game

2 walks in the 1st--both runners scored

plus

2 walks in the 7th--both runners scored
....................................................................................

4 runs given up because of walks!!!!
======================================

Maryland leads 8-3, heading to bottom of 7th

cc: @KyleHuesmann
Yeah tough game today. Back to back days of tough starts by Iowa pitchers. Luckily to slip the two games.
Come back strong tomorrow and hopefully take two from Northwestern to end the weekend.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Today’s game is very unfortunate as Iowa has risen to 33 in the RPI minutes before they lost. Michigan and Nebraska lost, so Iowa would’ve had some real separation in the RPI from everyone else. As it stands now it is 45, could fall to 47 or up to 44. Iowa has a razor thin margin of error now. With a win, they could’ve absorbed a home loss to NW. A home loss now may do them in RPI wise or force their hand to win 2/3 or better @ Indiana. Every time they get the RPI into the 30s and can really pad it, they turn around and lose such as today, Rutgers, and Purdue. This season may end up a day late and a dollar short because I don’t think Iowa is going to make a regional looking at the remaining RPI opportunities, way too many stumbling blocks.

Iowa’s pitching has been playing with fire off and on all year at various times with walks.

I’ve been wrong before, but I think Iowa will end up with an RPI in the 60s or 70s and end up wondering what could have been, again.

Yeah tough game today. Back to back days of tough starts by Iowa pitchers. Luckily to slip the two games.
Come back strong tomorrow and hopefully take two from Northwestern to end the weekend.

As I posted during the game above, Fullard and Williams both had a deep shot in the 9th. Unfortunately both shots stayed in the ball park.

Was the wind swirling, blowing in, or? In the tweet below, they wrote that the Northern winds got us in the 9th.

Thanks, @KyleHuesmann for your coverage & thanks @TomKakert for making it happen.

This season may end up a day late and a dollar short because I don’t think Iowa is going to make a regional looking at the remaining RPI opportunities, way too many stumbling blocks.

I’ve been wrong before, but I think Iowa will end up with an RPI in the 60s or 70s and end up wondering what could have been, again.

So, after one loss, today, April 24, you have concluded that Iowa won't make the NCAA Tournament.

Amazing.

And on April 15 (see end of this post), you said that others (in particular, Baseball America) were putting too much stock in the RPI, yet, everyone paying attention knows that you put all of your stock in the RPI. You just have to look at what I quoted above. Heck, RPI is all you talk about.

Let's pivot from your craziness to what actually makes sense.

On Monday, April 19, Iowa was 15-10 and @KyleHuesmann posted that he thought the target area for Iowa to get into the NCAA Tournament needed to be 27-17 or 28-16 and an RPI between 52 and 58. That would be 13-6 or 12-7 to end the season. And that also means Iowa was not going to go undefeated over the last 19 games (we are 1-1 so far, with 17 games to go).

Your April 15 post:

Baseball America putting too much stock into the RPI.

Last edited:
So, after one loss, today, April 24, you have concluded that Iowa won't make the NCAA Tournament.

Amazing.

And on April 15 (see end of this post), you said that others (in particular, Baseball America) were putting too much stock in the RPI, yet, everyone paying attention knows that you put all of your stock in the RPI. You just have to look at what I quoted above. Heck, RPI is all you talk about.

Let's pivot from your craziness to what actually makes sense.

On Monday, April 19, Iowa was 15-10 and @KyleHuesmann posted that he thought the target area for Iowa to get into the NCAA Tournament needed to be 27-17 or 28-16 and an RPI between 52 and 58. That would be 13-6 or 12-7 to end the season. And that also means Iowa was not going to go undefeated over the last 19 games (we are 1-1 so far, with 17 games to go).

Your April 15 post:

What you fail to mention is that I had posted that BEFORE the interview with the committee chair came out. Since his interview it seems like the Big Ten and MAAC will not get any special treatment due to the conference only.

Since I’ve heard that, it wouldn’t shock me if the conference only got two teams in, especially if RPIs keep falling. Like I said, Iowa has missed golden opportunities the last few weeks when their RPI was well in the 30s. Even with two wins against NW, they lose RPI points by winning those. The games against PSU and Illinois. They lose RPI points by winning. The road series are the only ones left where they may gain points. The last two will be minimal at best. That’s why I love non conference because it really gives you a chance to pay the RPI with road and neutral games.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
What you fail to mention is that I had posted that BEFORE the interview with the committee chair came out. Since his interview it seems like the Big Ten and MAAC will not get any special treatment due to the conference only.

Since I’ve heard that, it wouldn’t shock me if the conference only got two teams in, especially if RPIs keep falling. Like I said, Iowa has missed golden opportunities the last few weeks when their RPI was well in the 30s. Even with two wins against NW, they lose RPI points by winning those. The games against PSU and Illinois. They lose RPI points by winning. The road series are the only ones left where they may gain points. The last two will be minimal at best. That’s why I love non conference because it really gives you a chance to pay the RPI with road and neutral games.

link to the interview with the committee chair?

As I posted during the game above, Fullard and Williams both had a deep shot in the 9th. Unfortunately both shots stayed in the ball park.

Was the wind swirling, blowing in, or? In the tweet below, they wrote that the Northern winds got us in the 9th.

Thanks, @KyleHuesmann for your coverage & thanks @TomKakert for making it happen.

Wind was blowing out to right, so the wind knocked Fullard’s ball down in the left center gap.

Williams ball wasn’t hit high enough to be a home run. Might have had some front spin because it looked to dip a bit.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Today’s game is very unfortunate as Iowa has risen to 33 in the RPI minutes before they lost. Michigan and Nebraska lost, so Iowa would’ve had some real separation in the RPI from everyone else. As it stands now it is 45, could fall to 47 or up to 44. Iowa has a razor thin margin of error now. With a win, they could’ve absorbed a home loss to NW. A home loss now may do them in RPI wise or force their hand to win 2/3 or better @ Indiana. Every time they get the RPI into the 30s and can really pad it, they turn around and lose such as today, Rutgers, and Purdue. This season may end up a day late and a dollar short because I don’t think Iowa is going to make a regional looking at the remaining RPI opportunities, way too many stumbling blocks.

Iowa’s pitching has been playing with fire off and on all year at various times with walks.

BAU.......

Love Baumann's QUICK pace; he has the ball and is ready to pitch right away

He is at 57 pitches as we head to bottom of 5th

Last edited:
Thru 5 innings, Iowa has:

No Home Runs

2 sacrifice flies

10 hits

3 who have walked

9 runs

Iowa leads 9-1

Heller Ball

Last edited:
Great bounce back win for the Hawks as they crush Northwestern 15-4.

Cam Baumann
went 6 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 4 Ks.

Baumann gave Iowa exactly what it needed: a deep, QUALITY start after Trenton Wallace and Drew Irvine did not do so in the first two games this weekend.

Freshman Ty Langenberg entered the game in the 7th to replace Cam.

Iowa improves to 17-11, with FIRM grip on 4th place in the B1G.

Iowa and Northwestern play again tomorrow at 3 pm. Game is on BTN TV.

GO HAWKS!!!

3:02 pm on Monday for the fourth game. It’s a big one for the Hawkeyes. It’s on BTN as well. Iowa needs it. Hope the bats stay alive. Go Hawks!

What are the things in the belt buckle area that most of the NU players are wearing?
Usually holds sets of numbers that helps pitchers and catchers identify pitches. Coach may call out a set of numbers which identifies which pitch to throw and where to throw it. Helps the defense also

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT