ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Maryland & Northwestern at IOWA Games Thread (3 of the 4 games are on BTN TV)*****

Lots of young live arms in the bullpen for Iowa, as well as a few coming in next year. Always exciting to see guys hitting mid 90’s consistently

Today,

Rutgers beat Michigan
Penn State beat Ohio State

Big game tomorrow as Iowa plays Northwestern one more time, at 3:00 pm.

Current B1G Standings (thanks @Alum-Ni ):
1. Nebraska (20-7)
2. Michigan (19-9)
3. Indiana (18-8)
4. Iowa (17-11)

5. Maryland (16-13)
6. Ohio State (15-13)
7. Rutgers (14-13)
8. Illinois (13-14)
9. Northwestern (12-15)
10. Michigan State (12-17)
11. Purdue (10-18)
12. Penn State (9-18)
13. Minnesota (4-23)

After looking at the standings, take a look at Indiana’s schedule. Then look at Michigan’s schedule. Nebraska’s schedule isn’t particularly daunting but they still have some tough games.

If (and I stress “IF”) Iowa wins tomorrow against the Wildcats and can take 2 of 3 against the Hoosiers, they will be very well positioned to finish in the top 3 of the B1G.

After looking at the standings, take a look at Indiana’s schedule. Then look at Michigan’s schedule. Nebraska’s schedule isn’t particularly daunting but they still have some tough games.

If (and I stress “IF”) Iowa wins tomorrow against the Wildcats and can take 2 of 3 against the Hoosiers, they will be very well positioned to finish in the top 3 of the B1G.

Today is a big game for a lot of reasons. A win only gains Iowa one RPI points, but a loss and they lose 90 points which drops them into the mid 50s. I hope Iowa comes out with some energy and a great offensive approach. It seems like a lot of times after a team does what Iowa did Sunday then they come out the next game and have like one run on three hits. It also makes next weeks matchup pretty big.

Indiana has Iowa x3, Nebraska x4, Michigan x3, and Ohio State x2 left on their schedule. They also have Rutgers x2.

Michigan has the Indiana games, Maryland x3, Nebraska x3, Illinois x3, and NW/Ill x2.

Nebraska has Indiana x4, Rutgers x5, Northwestern x3, Ohio State x2, and Michigan x3.

There is still a lot of baseball left. Sixth place is only 5.5 games out of first, and everybody still plays one another. So there could still be some mix ups. Michigan needs to be very careful, they drop a game or two to Illinois plus lose the Nebby or Maryland series. It could get dicey.

Today is a big game for a lot of reasons. A win only gains Iowa one RPI points, but a loss and they lose 90 points which drops them into the mid 50s. I hope Iowa comes out with some energy and a great offensive approach. It seems like a lot of times after a team does what Iowa did Sunday then they come out the next game and have like one run on three hits. It also makes next weeks matchup pretty big.

Indiana has Iowa x3, Nebraska x4, Michigan x3, and Ohio State x2 left on their schedule. They also have Rutgers x2.

Michigan has the Indiana games, Maryland x3, Nebraska x3, Illinois x3, and NW/Ill x2.

Nebraska has Indiana x4, Rutgers x5, Northwestern x3, Ohio State x2, and Michigan x3.

There is still a lot of baseball left. Sixth place is only 5.5 games out of first, and everybody still plays one another. So there could still be some mix ups. Michigan needs to be very careful, they drop a game or two to Illinois plus lose the Nebby or Maryland series. It could get dicey.
Maybe you could convince the operators of the RPI to not take away 90 pts if Iowa loses...............thanks in advance.

FWIW and while I fully understand that the B1G Network announcers have no influence over the NCAA selection process, my ears perked when I heard them say "the B1G should get a minimum of 4 and possibly 5 at-large berths" to the NCAA Baseball tournament this year. Most likely B1G "homerism" but I did find that comment interesting.

Maybe you could convince the operators of the RPI to not take away 90 pts if Iowa loses...............thanks in advance.

I don’t have a problem with that aspect of it. What I have an issue with is how you can beat a team at home and lose points, how a bad team can lose and gain points, how you can win 7/8 games and still drop in the RPI due to that one loss. They adjusted in 2013, but I think they over adjusted.

FWIW and while I fully understand that the B1G Network announcers have no influence over the NCAA selection process, my ears perked when I heard them say "the B1G should get a minimum of 4 and possibly 5 at-large berths" to the NCAA Baseball tournament this year. Most likely B1G "homerism" but I did find that comment interesting.

I actually think the conference is pretty good this year and a 4-6 team bid league WITH a non conference and conference tournament. If they only get 2-3 teams, I hope someone asks Kevin Warren if they enjoyed screwing baseball teams in the league.

NW's starter is running up his pitch count. Hawks within 1 and a couple of runners on with 1 out (B4).

Iowa can’t get the hit so far with RISP, always worried about days like today when you do what you did yesterday.

Also, Sam Lawrence is the pitcher warming up in the bullpen for NW. That guy feels like he’s been at NW for ten years but I see it’s only been since 2017.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
Trenton Wallace is in RF, and hitting 3rd now due to the Williams injury. Ya know, I kinda wish Wallace would go the Judkins route and just focus on pitching. That’s when Judkins really excelled. You don’t get a Tyler Peyton type too often that is really good at 1B and P.

I will continue to trust the staffs judgment on this, but that is just my observation.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
Trenton Wallace is in RF, and hitting 3rd now due to the Williams injury. Ya know, I kinda wish Wallace would go the Judkins route and just focus on pitching. That’s when Judkins really excelled. You don’t get a Tyler Peyton type too often that is really good at 1B and P.

I will continue to trust the staffs judgment on this, but that is just my observation.
Wallace did hit .529 last year, wish he was hitting like that this year.

Hoffman is done for the day, records one out and gives up four earned on three hits. Even more unbelievable for me that NW has committed FOUR errors today.

Some perspective here. Iowa is at 40 in the RPI. A win and they gain one point and stay put. A loss, they lose 90 points and fall to 56-57.

20 runs in two games against NW, yet it’s very probable Iowa may go 1-1 against them. Had you told me Iowa would score 20 or more runs combined vs NW and lose one Id laugh at you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT