ADVERTISEMENT

**** Official Michigan State vs Iowa Game Thread ****

One has to wonder if he was getting away with it earlier, MSU had so many procedure penalties it was getting ridiculous.
On the stupid penalty topic, Brandon Smith came close after his TD catch. He turned and was starting to taunt the defender. Backed off just enough to avoid the flag.
The ref basically came in and pulled Smith away. I thought he should have been flagged. Was surprised the official was that nice to him.

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
Penn State-Maryland game. PSU had 4th down on Maryland 7. They went for it (and failed). Color guy was saying they need to kick the FG and take the points.

So your “analysis” is b.s.

Iowa did the right thing in trying for the FG. The experts would agree.

Congrats, Penn State only proves my point. More and more coaches are refusing field goals cause all the analytics show to go for it, they talk about this every damn Sunday now. Lol at some color guy saying they needed to kick the FG, so many awful college color guys. (Franklin probably realized he needed to score points and he was right, kicking a FG ain’t winning that game when their defense has been dog shit)

Also, NFL coaches have drastically changed their calls on going for it on fourth and short from your own side of the field. This is one thing I will credit Kirk for doing very well in the last 3-4 years, he does it a lot now when he rarely ever did before, clearly taking after the NFL and paying attention to the trend. A lot of college coaches still refuse to do this.

When you factor everything in on that call...offense firing on all cylinders..strong wind...remains a three possession game regardless if you make or miss the FG, I absolutely do not think its the right call in the long run statistically speaking. Clearly Ferentz had the right idea at first, not sure why he backed off after the timeout. Didn’t matter today, but could going forward like it did last week.

This is a great breakdown

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeyHawk
The 2nd string QB is always the most popular player.

Spencer's performance has not been good. I did not see him overlook as many open receivers but his passes have no touch. He does not throw many catchable balls.

Spencer's performance has not been good. I did not see him overlook as many open receivers but his passes have no touch. He does not throw many catchable balls.

False, but another popular myth. The 2nd string QB in only the most popular player when the starter is struggling consistently.

Congrats, Penn State only proves my point. More and more coaches are refusing field goals cause all the analytics show to go for it, they talk about this every damn Sunday now. Lol at some color guy saying they needed to kick the FG, so many awful college color guys. (Franklin probably realized he needed to score points and he was right, kicking a FG ain’t winning that game when their defense has been dog shit)

Also, NFL coaches have drastically changed their calls on going for it on fourth and short from your own side of the field. This is one thing I will credit Kirk for doing very well in the last 3-4 years, he does it a lot now when he rarely ever did before, clearly taking after the NFL and paying attention to the trend. A lot of college coaches still refuse to do this.

When you factor everything in on that call...offense firing on all cylinders..strong wind...remains a three possession game regardless if you make or miss the FG, I absolutely do not think its the right call in the long run statistically speaking. Clearly Ferentz had the right idea at first, not sure why he backed off after the timeout. Didn’t matter today, but could going forward like it did last week.

This is a great breakdown

False. But I guess you know more than college and NFL coaches! LOL!

Given the small sample size, I already like Padilla better. Petras is about as big as Stanley, but doesn’t use his size to his advantage. I miss those 6-11 yard QB “sneaks” from last year.

Padilla should have been put in at the start of the 4th at the latest. Every snap is precious, but he got way too few in what looked to be a laugher by halftime.

False, but another popular myth. The 2nd string QB in only the most popular player when the starter is struggling consistently.

No, its pretty much constant with a shifting group but a relatively constant number of fans. I remember the dumb asses still calling for Tom Grogan during Chuck Long's second and third seasons. Some people are chronically unhappy with the starter, as all the largely absurd complaints about Nate Stanley abundantly proved.

Reactions: F5n5
No, its pretty much constant with a shifting group but a relatively constant number of fans. I remember the dumb asses still calling for Tom Grogan during Chuck Long's second and third seasons. Some people are chronically unhappy with the starter, as all the largely absurd complaints about Nate Stanley abundantly proved.

You can find an example of almost anything if you look hard enough. That doesn't mean it's mainstream or widespread.

Point remains; the number #2 being the most popular guy is only true when the team/starting QB are struggling. When you're winning, it's all good. But hey...some guy on ESPN said it 20 years ago so it's cemented its way into sport culture cliche's.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT