ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

Thank you Pyles and thank you @smalls103 for making this clear. Don't hate the player hate the game. I don't like what this does for future recruits but damnit I want to see the Hawks compete on a high level next year.
He took that line from the Cesspool, maybe?

That’s a wee bit of an overreaction there eh Willie? Fellers that good a buddy of yours?

For those who might not know who Fellers is…Former Hawk wrestler, former HWC board member/donor and Sebolt club coach. His son Nolan is a damn good wrestler.
I was wondering if that was “Fellers.”

Dude comes off as an enormous ass at high school meets. I’d be embarrassed if I were related to him. Maybe he’s not an ass outside of competition, but it’s a bad look.

His kid is really good.

Impossible to find out…… my guess is 83% less than what Iowa offered….. with only Iowa’s offer associated with a number. Just no way to get that information.
Funny how none of these media guys can get numbers to report on what other schools offered but they can positively confirm they took less than what Iowa was offering. Not sure how they would know that without knowing both numbers.

Funny how none of these media guys can get numbers to report on what other schools offered but they can positively confirm they took less than what Iowa was offering. Not sure how they would know that without knowing both numbers.
Actually they do Know the exact numbers...they just change the number to suit their current rumors. The inside track for MOST of the social media pundits is... they float a bunch of rumors and see which ones will stick. If that number sticks in a rumor or conversation between people on here ...well then its Gospel truth for the duration.

Brief thoughts, so I don't waste multiple posts on this thread.

1. I don't like the new paradigm, which is "Anything Goes." But you can't put the genie back in the bottle. Good for TnT for taking advantage of it. They want to win.

2. I guess the going rate is now $5 mil/year to field a full team of studs. Whew. Glad it's not my money. But it's not, so I can't complain. Hats off to the guys with the money.

3. I have no issue with Glazier and Cobe feeling dissed, if indeed they do. They've worked hard, they're poised to have break-out seasons. But they've had 4+ years to do it at Iowa, and they didn't. Score more NCAA points, you won't get recruited over. That's kinda the harsh reality.

4. I have no issue with other team members being upset that they aren't getting $500K/year. The new paradigm works both ways. It's a free-for-all.

5. I have no issue with Smalls, or Fellers, or Dresser, or Cael, or any other villain of the month. Life is short. Everybody chill and enjoy wrestling.
Great take. Hawks have a team fashioned by the times. The recruitment tree grew another branch after NIL married portal, and Tom is merrily picking from it. Critics be still, and villains be damned.

He got a small fraction of the numbers being thrown around now, but he's getting something this year. But again, not the numbers being thrown around with recent transfers.
Your speaking in generalities. Do you have the actual numbers?

He got a small fraction of the numbers being thrown around now, but he's getting something this year. But again, not the numbers being thrown around with recent transfers.

What he really got was an opportunity that Iowa can't hope to match, with their current coaching staff and RTC.

I think some NIL is just during the season, but could be wrong. If a guy got 20k a month in season it would be about 100k which could easily be reported as 240k by someone who only heard the monthly amount. This is just an example as the only NIL amount I know is one of the Michigan transfers. If I know it then the wrestling "media" knows it also.

‘Loyalty is everything’: Penn State’s Carter Starocci seemingly rips David Taylor taking Oklahoma State head coach job"​

"CARTER STAROCCI GETTING PAID $1.3 MILLION TO WRESTLE HIS 5TH-YEAR AT PENN STATE IN 2024-2025"

Well, maybe loyalty is not everything?

Endene only has an outside chance of being an AA and he got nearly $200K from a week ass school in Wisconsin. Why people are doubting $500K for actual good and proven wrestlers, I do not know.

‘Loyalty is everything’: Penn State’s Carter Starocci seemingly rips David Taylor taking Oklahoma State head coach job"​

"CARTER STAROCCI GETTING PAID $1.3 MILLION TO WRESTLE HIS 5TH-YEAR AT PENN STATE IN 2024-2025"

Well, maybe loyalty is not everything?
Sad fact is that a lot of people will be "loyal" for $1.3 mil on a lot of teams. I expect other schools to penny up as well, so there will be bidding wars. We didn't design this world. We just live in it. What goes around comes around.

They're paying him $1.3M to become the first and only 5x NCAA champ.

I truly can't think of a less deserving all time great to hold that mantle than him.
They are not paying him to be a 5x champ, or they would have also paid him to be a 4x champ and a 3x champ. They are paying him to come back for 1 year, and the pay talks started when Hamiti Hendrikeson, Amine, Fish etc announced their commitments, and was finalized when DT took the job. They need his 20+ points. They would have paid Kerk the same amount if he said he might not come back. Don't pretend they are paying him for some noble cause.

They are not paying him to be a 5x champ, or they would have also paid him to be a 4x champ and a 3x champ. They are paying him to come back for 1 year, and the pay talks started when Hamiti Hendrikeson, Amine, Fish etc announced their commitments, and was finalized when DT took the job. They need his 20+ points. They would have paid Kerk the same amount if he said he might not come back. Don't pretend they are paying him for some noble cause.
Shrugs GIF

• Haha
Reactions: mcpat and hlstone
And why can't it be both?
Unless covid or some other pandemic comes around again there will never be another 5x champ.
They 100% want this for their noble cause.

Believe that if you choose. I'm going to go with him having a chance to be the first, and possibly, only wrestler ever to go for 5 might have upped the ante.

Oklahoma's linebacker Danny Stutzman donates 50k to the teams walk ons. Seems like a lesson could be learned here real quick to retain and build within the hawkeye room real fast. Food for thought vs. Dog eat dog mentality.

Reactions: chuckmowl
Oklahoma's linebacker Danny Stutzman donates 50k to the teams walk ons. Seems like a lesson could be learned here real quick to retain and build within the hawkeye room real fast. Food for thought vs. Dog eat dog mentality.
Plus it lowers their tax liability! The less the crooks get the better!

Reactions: el dub
And why can't it be both?
Unless covid or some other pandemic comes around again there will never be another 5x champ.
They 100% want this for their noble cause.
It's such a noble cause that he wouldn't want to attain it without 1.3 million? They convinced him to come back with 1.3 million for the points. He would have come back, or wrestled anywhere else to achieve that feat. Penn State paid him so that nobody else would get his points. Period.

Reactions: Gobblin
It's such a noble cause that he wouldn't want to attain it without 1.3 million? They convinced him to come back with 1.3 million for the points. He would have come back, or wrestled anywhere else to achieve that feat. Penn State paid him so that nobody else would get his points. Period.
Do you really think he would have gone elsewhere? I’m guessing his choices were to be done with college wrestling or come back for a fifth NC and another team championship. PSU paid him well because they could. And there are multiple reasons why they would want him to come back, right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT