ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

what part?
The sum of the parts.😆

season 2 stephen vs the game GIF by Versus On Watch

Bottom line, anybody asking "what's going on in Iowa?" is stupid or trolling.

The answer is obvious. 3 good wrestlers are behind 3 better wrestlers and want to compete, so they left. Works out for everybody and I hope all 3 find success.
That seems easy to understand for me. I'm all for loyalty, but I'm also for freedom. Those 3 could stay and fight for a spot, or go to another program where they can be the top dog at their weight with less competition. If they choose to go, then I wish them well.

That seems easy to understand for me. I'm all for loyalty, but I'm also for freedom. Those 3 could stay and fight for a spot, or go to another program where they can be the top dog at their weight with less competition. If they choose to go, then I wish them well.
I think they loyalty lies in not being blindsided by it. If those guys, especially Glazier, were made aware that they were going after those guys, it doesn't bug me. If those guys got word of it through the grapevine and then saw it happen, all without even being told anything, that doesn't sit well with me.

And yea, I know that some of you don't have the same mentality towards it and that's fine.

Reactions: Hawktu
I think they loyalty lies in not being blindsided by it. If those guys, especially Glazier, were made aware that they were going after those guys, it doesn't bug me. If those guys got word of it through the grapevine and then saw it happen, all without even being told anything, that doesn't sit well with me.

And yea, I know that some of you don't have the same mentality towards it and that's fine.
Tnt have proven time and time again they don't handle this correctly management wise. Ramos, Gilman, and now multitude of others.

Most anyone who fails to perform when it matters should understand that their position could be in jeopardy. That’s pretty easy to figure out, imo.

Most anyone who fails to perform when it matters should understand that their position could be in jeopardy. That’s pretty easy to figure out, imo.
I never said they shouldn't and I agree with you. My point is that there is a way to go about it, and I hope that happened.

What is Tom going to tell them? "I think we may be going after guys to replace you?" By rule, Tom or the staff can't recruit outside of the transfer portal. They can't personally go after rostered guys. Because the NCAA is so dysfunctional in regards to NIL, I'm betting there is a "wall" between coaches and the NIL guy/collective on this issue enforced by compliance. Normally, Iowa would be behind the power curve on adapting to these situations. Because of the court cases regarding NIL, college sports is in a weird transition phase to what I'm guessing will someday be professional contracts between the school/NIL collective and the athlete.

Manpower was a big issue in my old job. Had an old boss that used to say, "Don't plan future goals with manpower you don't have today." For us, that meant not counting on our higher ups making sure we were fully staffed. For Tom, I'm guessing he goes by what he has when school starts. Even if I were a cynical bastard and thought that Tom was pulling the strings; even then, what could he say? In both cases, it would have been "I don't know for sure." One for the truth, the other for plausible deniability.

If Cobe had solidified his position last year, we would know what we're getting at 157. All we know is that he went 1-2 in 2023. Same with Zach in 2024. Now, I think Cobe has the potential to do much better this year because he was small for the weight back then and iirc, he was dinged up pretty good. If ZG was to somehow beat Buchanan, I would be pissed but couldn't help but to crack a cold one in his honor because he did everything right except finish strong at NCAAs.

What is Tom going to tell them? "I think we may be going after guys to replace you?" By rule, Tom or the staff can't recruit outside of the transfer portal. They can't personally go after rostered guys. Because the NCAA is so dysfunctional in regards to NIL, I'm betting there is a "wall" between coaches and the NIL guy/collective on this issue enforced by compliance. Normally, Iowa would be behind the power curve on adapting to these situations. Because of the court cases regarding NIL, college sports is in a weird transition phase to what I'm guessing will someday be professional contracts between the school/NIL collective and the athlete.

Manpower was a big issue in my old job. Had an old boss that used to say, "Don't plan future goals with manpower you don't have today." For us, that meant not counting on our higher ups making sure we were fully staffed. For Tom, I'm guessing he goes by what he has when school starts. Even if I were a cynical bastard and thought that Tom was pulling the strings; even then, what could he say? In both cases, it would have been "I don't know for sure." One for the truth, the other for plausible deniability.

If Cobe had solidified his position last year, we would know what we're getting at 157. All we know is that he went 1-2 in 2023. Same with Zach in 2024. Now, I think Cobe has the potential to do much better this year because he was small for the weight back then and iirc, he was dinged up pretty good. If ZG was to somehow beat Buchanan, I would be pissed but couldn't help but to crack a cold one in his honor because he did everything right except finish strong at NCAAs.
That is exactly right. That is the job of the coach. The coach should present it in way that all stay on board. Why leave when you are in the best place in the world? Correct. Tom has proven he is not good at this part of the job and the AD clearly sees this.

Reactions: el dub
That is exactly right. That is the job of the coach. The coach should present it in way that all stay on board. Why leave when you are in the best place in the world? Correct. Tom has proven he is not good at this part of the job and the AD clearly sees this.
Present what?

I'm a big believer in loyalty, but in this day and age I don't think a coach can go about it in the way you described. "Hey wrestler, don't tell anyone but you didn't finish where we thought you could/would so we're going after a replacement for you." And then, "Oops, we didn't get a replacement so we're hoping you're still on the team bus." Are you kidding me? But more than that, think of all the poor attitudes while the search is going on...because nobody is keeping that shit a secret; they're going to be pissed, hurt, etc. In the end, I don't think there's an easy way to do what needs to be done.

Back to the loyalty piece, I think the coach(es) need to show the wrestlers all the love they can while still understanding that the loyalty is to the University and to the fan base. And for a school like Iowa, the wrestlers sure to God know that (barring injury) if they don't at least AA there should be no expectations to be a starter the following year, and that they're right back in the mix just like what we have at 74 this year. Back in the mix and may the best man win. Hell, even Caliendo, who was a returning AA had to come in and battle PK for the starting nod at 65.

Loyalty to the wrestler in the manner you're discussing? I think not.

There really isn’t a realistic scenario where Cobe or Zach stick around no matter how open the process was for the two transfers. I only have an issue if they were mislead or lied to. It is up to Brands to set a culture of “get the job done or I will find someone who will.” The devil is really in the details beyond that.

I lol’ed at firewall. There’s nothing that complex about this.

There really isn’t a realistic scenario where Cobe or Zach stick around no matter how open the process was for the two transfers. I only have an issue if they were mislead or lied to. It is up to Brands to set a culture of “get the job done or I will find someone who will.” The devil is really in the details beyond that.

I lol’ed at firewall. There’s nothing that complex about this.
The rules are so ambiguous, would the coaches actually even be allowed to tell their current wrestlers about a potential transfer UNTIL they are actually signed? I think that is a big possible issue that many seem to be overlooking. I mean, all the coaches would need is for them to tell a wrestler on the team, have that guy transfer and then report the coaches for that exact correspondence...

Take a listen to Cobe's interview on Casber's show a couple weeks ago. Cobe said the staff spoke to him and that he has no hard feelings towards Iowa. He ended the interview with a, "Go Iowa". For some of the staff's faults loyalty has never been one of them. At least while they are under college eligibility anyway.

Take a listen to Cobe's interview on Casber's show a couple weeks ago. Cobe said the staff spoke to him and that he has no hard feelings towards Iowa. He ended the interview with a, "Go Iowa". For some of the staff's faults loyalty has never been one of them. At least while they are under college eligibility anyway.
Link?

Reactions: Spoons
9/7/24 episode
He said Tom never answered his phone call, but he did talk to Terry and M* when he made the decision to leave.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT