ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

Think there is an August portal.
I think that rule was changed in mid April, not 100%, but seems I remember reading that at some point, see below

Moving forward, student-athletes are expected to enter the Transfer Portal within their sport's notification-of-transfer windows, which Division I members emphasized are important for providing transparency to student-athletes and coaches for recruitment opportunities, roster management and financial aid planning. There will continue to be exceptions to the legislated transfer windows, including for the departure of a head coach or a discontinued sport. Student-athletes who plan to enroll as graduate students at their next school can enter the portal at any time during the academic year but must enter the portal prior to the conclusion of their respective sports' final transfer windows.

Fingers crossed the coaches and boosters are getting informed on portal rules here so they stop wasting time and 💰
I mean what losers to not know the rules and have Teemer take advantage of them like this.

Reactions: CRIA7415
Think there is an August portal.

There is no August portal.

So the takeaway is teamer can’t transfer to Iowa because he wasn’t in the portal ? Time to move on to other realistic options for 157 this fall.

The takeaway is…we don’t know. There has to be SOME reason to believe it’s possible. Seems a little ridiculous to believe they don’t know what they are doing. I mean, at worst they have Google. But what is that reason? The best we have come up with is some sort of waiver, though it feels like a bit of a stretch.

Reactions: el dub

The takeaway is…we don’t know. There has to be SOME reason to believe it’s possible. Seems a little ridiculous to believe they don’t know what they are doing. I mean, at worst they have Google. But what is that reason? The best we have come up with is some sort of waiver, though it feels like a bit of a stretch.
There was something similar where the staff had no idea back in 2021 that the seniors didn’t count against the scholarship count and Randy Novak had to tell them, after HR told him the rule. We also have the Brody Teske debacle the last two years. Simple stuff that gets messed up.

If you graduate after taking summer classes, does that open up the postgraduate transfer capability that starts October 1 and allows for transfer for the next term? Haven’t seen any publications that details that scenario.

There was something similar where the staff had no idea back in 2021 that the seniors didn’t count against the scholarship count and Randy Novak had to tell them, after HR told him the rule. We also have the Brody Teske debacle the last two years. Simple stuff that gets messed up.

P

I will never understand that one. How is that even possible?
We were playing 4D underwater chess with Teske remember?

There is no requirement to enter the portal for grad tranfers and no waiver is necessary. The NCAA can't prevent a grad transfer from changing schools.

To dispell rumors, neither of the grad transfers have been in the room yet. Both are waiting to be accepted by admissions, which apparently takes longer than undergrad acceptance. Coaches aren't allowed to engage with the transfers until they have been acccepted, therefore they wouldn't be allowed in the room. They are following the rules to a T (pun intended).

There is no requirement to enter the portal for grad tranfers and no waiver is necessary. The NCAA can't prevent a grad transfer from changing schools.

This is the source of confusion. The NCAA makes it pretty clear that they can only enter during their respective sport's portal window.

New Transfer Rules

"Student-athletes who plan to enroll as graduate students at their next school can enter the portal at any time during the academic year but must enter the portal prior to the conclusion of their respective sports' final transfer windows."

It isn't that I'm doubting you or this effort, I'm just confused what allows it. Is it that these new rules were rolled out after the wrestling transfer window was closed? Is it because the were in the portal already and didn't announce? Is it that they are losing their scholarships at their current school? Or another reason? Inquiring minds are curious. :)

This is the source of confusion. The NCAA makes it pretty clear that they can only enter during their respective sport's portal window.

New Transfer Rules

"Student-athletes who plan to enroll as graduate students at their next school can enter the portal at any time during the academic year but must enter the portal prior to the conclusion of their respective sports' final transfer windows."

It isn't that I'm doubting you or this effort, I'm just confused what allows it. Is it that these new rules were rolled out after the wrestling transfer window was closed? Is it because the were in the portal already and didn't announce? Is it that they are losing their scholarships at their current school? Or another reason? Inquiring minds are curious. :)
Further to this question, I think wrestling is a "winter" sport rather than fall or spring. I can not find any information on when the last transfer window would officially occur for a winter sport.

New Transfer Rules

The NCAA has loosened the restrictions on grad transfers since the text you quoted was released. Simple answer is: If a student athlete has fulfilled their academic requirements at a school, the NCAA will not restrict their ability to pursue academics and athletics elsewhere. No portals, no waivers. IA compliance is fully on board with this.

It makes the most sense. If you go to a school and get a degree(which is why you are there), why should you be hindered from pursuing other opportunities?

The NCAA has loosened the restrictions on grad transfers since the text you quoted was released. Simple answer is: If a student athlete has fulfilled their academic requirements at a school, the NCAA will not restrict their ability to pursue academics and athletics elsewhere. No portals, no waivers. IA compliance is fully on board with this.

It makes the most sense. If you go to a school and get a degree(which is why you are there), why should you be hindered from pursuing other opportunities?

Where is the updated "loosened restrictions" (genuinely asking) - my quoted rules is from an April 17 2024 approval announcement.

There will be questions/accusations of tampering - so at least with Teemer/ASU, there will be a bit of a fight if he does in fact transfer.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Where is the updated "loosened restrictions" (genuinely asking) - my quoted rules is from an April 17 2024 approval announcement.

There will be questions/accusations of tampering - so at least with Teemer/ASU, there will be a bit of a fight if he does in fact transfer.
Let them fight it. Compliance, which has historically been conservative, is good with the situation as it stands.

Let them fight it. Compliance, which has historically been conservative, is good with the situation as it stands.
let them fight fighting GIF

Reactions: el dub

Thanks. Did I just find it?

13.1.1.3.2 Notification of Transfer -- Postgraduate Student-Athletes. A student-athlete who will participate as a postgraduate student at another institution during the next academic year or regular term may initiate the notification of transfer process at any time between August 1 and end of the final period specified for the applicable sport in Bylaw 13.1.1.3.1 by providing the student-athlete's institution with a written notification of transfer and completing an educational module related to transferring. The student-athlete's institution shall enter the student-athlete's information into the national transfer database within two business days of receipt of a written notification of transfer from the student-athlete or receipt of confirmation of the student-athlete's completion of the educational module, whichever occurs later.

13.1.1.3.2 Notification of Transfer -- Postgraduate Student-Athletes. A student-athlete who will participate as a postgraduate student at another institution during the next academic year or regular term may initiate the notification of transfer process at any time between August 1 and end of the final period specified for the applicable sport in Bylaw 13.1.1.3.1 by providing the student-athlete's institution with a written notification of transfer and completing an educational module related to transferring. The student-athlete's institution shall enter the student-athlete's information into the national transfer database within two business days of receipt of a written notification of transfer from the student-athlete or receipt of confirmation of the student-athlete's completion of the educational module, whichever occurs later.
Great find! Seems pretty clear cut there that August 1st the opening is.

Reactions: TarpHawk and el dub

Looks like you're onto something. All of my communication has been verbal.

Really the only time Aug 1 ever came up is when Steveson said he was planning to transfer Aug 1 if he cut an NIL deal.

Looks like you're onto something. All of my communication has been verbal.

Really the only time Aug 1 ever came up is when Steveson said he was planning to transfer Aug 1 if he cut an NIL deal.
Transferring into the HWC would be wonderful

To dispell rumors, neither of the grad transfers have been in the room yet.
Isn't this different that what you said before? Or was that other posters saying the transfer was in the room? Seriously asking, there's been a lot of back and forth on this.

Reactions: praguehawk
Isn't this different that what you said before? Or was that other posters saying the transfer was in the room? Seriously asking, there's been a lot of back and forth on this.
Others have stated recently that Teemer was in the room, which wasn't true. I stated some time ago that one was planning to be in the room by early July, but with the delay in admissions that can't happen.

Where is Teemer at right now?

New York
Others have stated recently that Teemer was in the room, which wasn't true. I stated some time ago that one was planning to be in the room by early July, but with the delay in admissions that can't happen.

Yup. you're correct. Teemer was never in the room. Weird that that one got floated out.

Teemer misinformation (in the room/not, applied/hasn’t, big bag/small change, etc.) has a cool, clandestine vibe to it. No inside intel, but I say he’s a Hawk, joining pal Parco. Better RTC, better team trophy chance, better practice partners, better conference competition, open spot, new facility, and bigger bag of NIL. Trading desert drab for verdant green is just piling on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT