ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

Willie backtracked a bit by saying Buchanan is getting $400k, $500k. Is $300k next?
Said Glazier is gone but got his eligibility wrong as Willie said this is his last go around even though I think he is eligible for a 7th year in 2026 for a 2022 medical redshirt.
Glazier for sure can get a medical for 2022 if he wants it

You guys know your team best, but why is Nelson automatically being penciled in as the starter by some? He had a nice run a couple years ago to finish 5th, but overall, he is 42-19 and has plenty of head scratching losses. He is the type of guy who can finish on the podium or if he gets a bad draw, it's over. Would Arnold or Ferrari do worse? If there isn't much difference, why not give the start to the young guys and provide them with more experience?
Arnold’s defense is great, Brands defense is better, until proven otherwise. Brands has experience having wrestled against NCAA Champions and AA’s and those matches were close. Brands can be frustrating, however he’s usually always in the match. I am not sure Gabe can score on Brands? As Trapper said, it all gets taken care of in the room.

Say anything on Teemer?
Said Teemer is still up in the air, but it seems doubtful he’s got any chance to make 157. Weighs about 185-90 so who is he going to replace? Willie said Teemer had a meeting with the President and AD recently.

Willie also said Parco wants to go 157 so 149 back in play for Siebrecht, etc.

They also shared funny stories of guys with no leverage going to the portal and getting their scholarships immediately yanked.

Said Teemer is still up in the air, but it seems doubtful he’s got any chance to make 157. Weighs about 185-90 so who is he going to replace? Willie said Teemer had a meeting with the President and AD recently.

They also shared funny stories of guys with no leverage going to the portal and getting their scholarships immediately yanked.
Cobe has gotten bigger and certed at 157 last year I doubt he goes 149 . Teemer is definitely still in AZ so who knows what will happen with him.

I am sure I am on the minority here, but I think both Arnold at 74 and Lil Ferarri at 84 are better then Nelson. Yes Nelson has the experience, but these are young highly rated guys. Nelson was not nearly as sought after. In the last few years we have not had success with guys in their mid 20's. Kemerer, Eirman, Woods... they all go down hill that last year.

Agreed that the youngest and highest rated high school recruits should be awarded the spot. That's why Gavin Teasdale was such a success in college.

Really though, the guys you mentioned might have "gone downhill" but they were still the best guys Iowa had. Hell, Kem and Woods still finished 4th. If Ferrari comes in, whips Nelson's butt, and wants to wrestle and not RS then I'm 100% on board. Until then...no. No awarding starting spots based on high school accolades. That's ridiculous.

You guys know your team best, but why is Nelson automatically being penciled in as the starter by some? He had a nice run a couple years ago to finish 5th, but overall, he is 42-19 and has plenty of head scratching losses. He is the type of guy who can finish on the podium or if he gets a bad draw, it's over. Would Arnold or Ferrari do worse? If there isn't much difference, why not give the start to the young guys and provide them with more experience?

I don't know about automatic but the perception by most is that his arrow has been pointed up. Finally over a few rough injuries, he was able to shine in 2023. We will see, I guess.

This makes the lineup questions so much more confusing. Parco wants to go 57 which was supposed to Teemer but now Teemer can’t make 57 so he’s going to 165 where we have Cali. Basically why are we going for teemer if he can’t make 57.

A lot of his career has been wrestling up to fill in spots, getting injured etc…when he finally got his shot at an optimum weight, he AA’d. That year, his bad losses were to Rocky Jordan and Bailee O’Reilly. I would argue that O'Reilly looked good that year and was a Rd of 12 guy. For Nelson, I think a light bulb turned on at Big Tens. IIRC, other than getting the shit rode out of him against Foca, he had a really good NCAAs. I also think a lot of it also depends on how Gabe and Ferrari are doing this year.

I am sure I am on the minority here, but I think both Arnold at 74 and Lil Ferarri at 84 are better then Nelson. Yes Nelson has the experience, but these are young highly rated guys. Nelson was not nearly as sought after. In the last few years we have not had success with guys in their mid 20's. Kemerer, Eirman, Woods... they all go down hill that last year.
I say we find out when they wrestle. I’m all for the best 10 on the mat.

Reactions: el dub and sdvike
lotta questions in that psu lineup though. only four starters are back at the same weight.

Lilledahl True Frosh - agree that he is very good. I'd have him about the same. just sayin'. true frosh ya never know.
SVN's health
Kasak up two weights. idk that penciling him in at Top 5 is where I'd have him considering his 3rd place at 141 last year was totally unexpected. but maybe.
Haines up two weights or Facundo who has been solid but not spectacular
Star at new weight and one with Keck
Cochran unproven or True Frosh Mirasola

if Iowa gets their ducks in a row (i'm on the "Teemer-stays-at -ASU" side at this moment in time), they could be threatening.
so you think Star is going 184 and Barr is riding the pine?

Reactions: Spoons and el dub

Should clarify that Teemer had a meeting with the ASU president and AD recently.

Should clarify that Teemer had a meeting with the ASU president and AD recently

giphy.gif

“Willie said Teemer had a meeting with the President and AD recently.”

Though it would be funny if he actually met with Biden and the ASU AD

Im going to assume you are speaking to me (maybe others also). We all have issues and opinions about the coaches. I have no problem with opinions from “other posters” as you say. But, smalls claims to be a journalist… that makes it different. His arrogant and shitty attitude is spread across 94 pages of this garbage. His intent is to make money from us while insulting us at the same time. If a random poster comes at me that’s fine, but I am not taking shit from him.
I rather have Smalls on Iowa's side and speaking good to recruits about the Hawkeyes, than have dumbass Mineo constantly bashing the program. Just my 2 cents.

Im going to assume you are speaking to me (maybe others also). We all have issues and opinions about the coaches. I have no problem with opinions from “other posters” as you say. But, smalls claims to be a journalist… that makes it different. His arrogant and shitty attitude is spread across 94 pages of this garbage. His intent is to make money from us while insulting us at the same time. If a random poster comes at me that’s fine, but I am not taking shit from him.
I'm not speaking to anybody specifically. I'm just saying every thread turns into attacks or arguments outside the topic of actual positive news for the Iowa wrestling program. And that is because, in my opinion, the people running the program have failed to give the fans any hope of anything but a distance 2nd behind PSU. It's frustrating. And to me the fault is obvious and it's not anyone outside of the program. I don't give a shit about anything else.

Last edited:
I'm not speaking to anybody specifically. I'm just saying every thread turns into attacks or arguments outside the topic of actual positive news for the Iowa wrestling program. And that is because, in my opinion, the people running the program have failed to give the fans any hope of anything but a distance 2nd behind PSU. It's frustrating. And to me the fault is obvious and it's not anyone outside of the program. I don't give a shit about anything else.
Dude give it a ****ing rest... nobody is begging you to stick around nor be loyal to the program. We all get it, you don't enjoy iowa wrestling under the Brands tutelage...piss off and go cheer on someone else. Once we make it back up top, regardless of whom our coaches are at that point, I'm sure you'll come slithering back.

Dude give it a ****ing rest... nobody is begging you to stick around nor be loyal to the program. We all get it, you don't enjoy iowa wrestling under the Brands tutelage...piss off and go cheer on someone else. Once we make it back up top, regardless of whom our coaches are at that point, I'm sure you'll come slithering back.

Come on man. This is a message board. The entire point is varying opinions. And what is there to cheer currently? We finished 5th last year and we're all hoping this year will be better. But history shows, why should we believe that?

Come on man. This is a message board. The entire point is varying opinions. And what is there to cheer currently? We finished 5th last year and we're all hoping this year will be better. But history shows, why should we believe that?
I guess it's time you become a full time PSU/Okie State fan now. They need insiders worse than us

"We"?

History shows? LMFAO. Iowa has now taken 5th exactly TWICE under Brands. Iowa scored 97 points the year after the 1st time they took 5th.
On top of that, what history is there where Iowa loses 4 starters(2 AA's that scored 24.5 points the year prior and even Assad would have made a giant difference at 184) from the year before due to gambling charges?

Your narrative is getting older and more decrepit than Sleepy Joe looks now... Is Iowa way behind PSU? No question. What PSU is doing is unprecedented. But, your Iowa "history" under Brands take is epic GARBAGE. Iowa was the clear best team in 2020 and 2021. They took 2nd in 2023 and would ABSOLUTELY have been the clear 2nd best team last year if not for Iowa being the ONLY state in the country where the government went after college gambling...

As an aside, would you like to bet money that Iowa finishes ahead of everyone but PSU this year? You are so high on DT and OkState now, how about we bet on just those 2 teams????

Last edited:
History shows? LMFAO. Iowa has now taken 5th exactly TWICE under Brands. Iowa scored 97 points the year after the 1st time they took 5th.

To add, Iowa has never scored less points at NCAAs in consecutive years under Brands.

On top of that, what history is there where Iowa loses 4 starters(2 AA's that scored 24.5 points the year prior and even Assad would have made a giant difference at 184) from the year before due to gambling charges?

Your narrative is getting older and more decrepit than Sleep Joe looks now... Is Iowa way behind PSU? No question. What PSU is doing is unprecedented. But, your Iowa "history" under Brands take is epic GARBAGE. Iowa was the clear best team in 2020 and 2021. They took 2nd in 2023 and would ABSOLUTELY have been the clear 2nd best team last year if not for Iowa being the ONLY state in the country where the government went after college gambling...

As an aside, would you like to bet money that Iowa finishes ahead of everyone but PSU this year? You are so high on DT and OkState now, how about we bet on just those 2 teams????
Who is sleepy Joe?

Your narrative is getting older and more decrepit than Sleep Joe looks now... Is Iowa way behind PSU? No question. What PSU is doing is unprecedented. But, your Iowa "history" under Brands take is epic GARBAGE. Iowa was the clear best team in 2020 and 2021. They took 2nd in 2023 and would ABSOLUTELY have been the clear 2nd best team last year if not for Iowa being the ONLY state in the country where the government went after college gambling...

My bad on that. I didn't mean it like we're going to finish 6th or something. A clear 2nd would be nice. So can we beat tOSU and Okiest for 2nd? I freaking hope so.

It's also getting ridiculous that people are acting like Iowa won't have a VERY strong team going into next season. With all the news saying Buchanan is a "sure thing", Iowa will have a LOT to look forward to next year:

125: Cruz/Peterson- The one apparent hole in the lineup, but PSU has done EXTREMELY well with even 2 or 3 similar holes in several seasons.
133: Ayala-A returning FINALIST.
141: Block/Schriever/Voinovich-Probably the biggest question mark they have. Could be a 2nd hole, could be an AA. Not enough info to know, yet.
149: Parco-4xAA, taking 4th and 5th the last 2 seasons.
157: Siebrecht-WILDCARD Teemer here would obviously make for a "sure thing", but Siebrecht could make things interesting.
165: Caliendo-2x AA taking 4th last year, at a weight and level where that 4th could probably equate to 1st in many other years.
174: Arnold-I am VERY high on this kid. Lock in a top 5 finish.
184: Brands-Returning AA
197: Buchanan- 3X AA, took 3rd the last 2 seasons and is the highest returning AA at the weight.
285: Kueter-Junior World Champ and finally decided to fully focus on wrestling for a season.

That is 5 top 5 AA's and 2 super stud freshmen. Teemer would make me much happier, but Siebrecht could impress. That leaves 141, where the range is too wide to predict until we see someone take over the weight and get into the B1G schedule.

Catching PSU is obviously very unlikely, but this is a much better team than many of you are giving credit for....

It's also getting ridiculous that people are acting like Iowa won't have a VERY strong team going into next season. With all the news saying Buchanan is a "sure thing", Iowa will have a LOT to look forward to next year:

125: Cruz/Peterson- The one apparent hole in the lineup, but PSU has done EXTREMELY well with even 2 or 3 similar holes in several seasons.
133: Ayala-A returning FINALIST.
141: Block/Schriever/Voinovich-Probably the biggest question mark they have. Could be a 2nd hole, could be an AA. Not enough info to know, yet.
149: Parco-4xAA, taking 4th and 5th the last 2 seasons.
157: Siebrecht-WILDCARD Teemer here would obviously make for a "sure thing", but Siebrecht could make things interesting.
165: Caliendo-2x AA taking 4th last year, at a weight and level where that 4th could probably equate to 1st in many other years.
174: Arnold-I am VERY high on this kid. Lock in a top 5 finish.
184: Brands-Returning AA
197: Buchanan- 3X AA, took 3rd the last 2 seasons and is the highest returning AA at the weight.
285: Kueter-Junior World Champ and finally decided to fully focus on wrestling for a season.

That is 5 top 5 AA's and 2 super stud freshmen. Teemer would make me much happier, but Siebrecht could impress. That leaves 141, where the range is too wide to predict until we see someone take over the weight and get into the B1G schedule.

Catching PSU is obviously very unlikely, but this is a much better team than many of you are giving credit for....

Then it's time to prove at NCAAs. Even with the gambling losses last year we underperformed versus our pre/regular season results. So fine, a mea culpa on last year.

So we have a bet for 2nd. Or just okiest/iowa finishes?

Reactions: TailgateTom
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT