ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

Yet you act like Iowa gets NOTHING out of their top 10’s. Individual champ or bust is a ridiculous argument. Warner and Kemerer had fantastic careers.
Fantastic careers are for record breakers and championships. They had good careers but i wouldn't argue with anyone that said they underachieved. Maybe not Warner, but Kemmdog should of had at least one Ship!.

I just think Iowa has enough financial support and History to expect Individual championships at a bigger clip than 2 in a decade. (different wrestlers)

Just saying he's not a big draw/magnet for elite guys.

Now get lucky and have Jden Cox join...
I feel like that has been fantasied about on here for a while now. l Hard to believe it will happen anytime soon. Be really cool though.

Fantastic careers are for record breakers and championships. They had good careers but i wouldn't argue with anyone that said they underachieved. Maybe not Warner, but Kemmdog should of had at least one Ship!.

I just think Iowa has enough financial support and History to expect Individual championships at a bigger clip than 2 in a decade. (different wrestlers)
i think kem and warner had terrific careers...but i'm not a top PFP recruit

do we think the best of the best recruits look at kem and warner and think "wow...sign me up"?

What percentage of DI college wrestlers win a title? I will give you a hint, it is ridiculously small....

Sometimes things happen. Take the Hidlay brothers. It is beyond ridiculous that neither ever won 1.

Hayden took 2nd, 4th, 5th and 3rd. His NCAA losses were to Nolf, Nolf(many think the refs messed that up terribly), Pantaleo, Carr, Teemer and Starocci. He was a fantastic wrestler and had a fantastic career.

Trent took 2nd, 5th, 4th and 2nd. His NCAA losses were to Brooks, Brooks, Keckeisen, Brooks, Romero and Brooks. Without a 4xer in his weight every year, he almost certainly walks away with atleast 2 championships. Still, his career was absolutely fantastic...

What percentage of DI college wrestlers win a title? I will give you a hint, it is ridiculously small....

Sometimes things happen. Take the Hidlay brothers. It is beyond ridiculous that neither ever won 1.

Hayden took 2nd, 4th, 5th and 3rd. His NCAA losses were to Nolf, Nolf(many think the refs messed that up terribly), Pantaleo, Carr, Teemer and Starocci. He was a fantastic wrestler and had a fantastic career.

Trent took 2nd, 5th, 4th and 2nd. His NCAA losses were to Brooks, Brooks, Keckeisen, Brooks, Romero and Brooks. Without a 4xer in his weight every year, he almost certainly walks away with atleast 2 championships. Still, his career was absolutely fantastic...
Iowa should and will be held to a high standard. 2 national champions in 10 years is unacceptable. The moral victory thinking is for the football and basketball programs at Iowa.

Are we sure about this?? Jax Forrest and BB seem to be very deeply involved in freestyle. If you had to choose between tOSU, PSU, Mich, OSU or Iowa, which Wrestling club are you picking??

seems like the younger kids care more about it but maybe they always did and I am just catching up.

Jax Forrest is going to OSU whose club is almost non existent except for Daton.

It is all about recruiting and Spencer and Tom better be hitting the road together. Now is the time to get these young studs if Iowa wants to remain relevant.

Iowa really needs to push the new facility, the campus life at Iowa, and being part of the team that took Iowa back to the top.

There are only so many kids that can start at PSU — these kids are all stacked on top of each other. Go get the kids that want to be the big fish in the pond and not just “another PSU top 10 recruit”

He will be Coleman Scott’s Spencer Lee. Let’s see what happens there.
Eff that. How about being Spencer Lee and Tom Brands' Jax Forrest? If we're getting outpitched by Coleman effing Scott for a premier lightweight recruit, then it truly is time to move on. They had Fix for 6 years (yes i k ow Scott just came back but still, its okie st) and Fix couldnt win a single title. If there's one thing TnT have proven its the ability to develop lightweight champions. Wtf is going on that we can't dominate recruiting even in those 2 weight classes?

Eff that. How about being Spencer Lee and Tom Brands' Jax Forrest? If we're getting outpitched by Coleman effing Scott for a premier lightweight recruit, then it truly is time to move on. They had Fix for 6 years (yes i k ow Scott just came back but still, its okie st) and Fix couldnt win a single title. If there's one thing TnT have proven its the ability to develop lightweight champions. Wtf is going on that we can't dominate recruiting even in those 2 weight classes?

Sounds like he has been on the OSU train before Coleman Scott.

Reactions: vhsalum and el dub
Why would Jax Forrest choose Okie St.? Serious question, not saying it is a bad choice, just wondering why?

TWOOO things 1) if it aint IOWA then 2) anywhere but F*** st!!!!

Reactions: eb05
let’s not forget that daton was ranked higher than Spencer across the board in 2017 recruiting rankings. the results speak for themselves on development

Reactions: MilleGinja
Sounds like he has been on the OSU train before Coleman Scott.
How in the hell did a stand out Pennsylvania wrestler get in deep with OSU from a young age?? I could understand PSU. Biggest nightmare would be him talking Basset into following him there. And what has Scott done as a coach or competitor that would make recruits flock to him ???

Reactions: DeangeloVickers
How in the hell did a stand out Pennsylvania wrestler get in deep with OSU from a young age?? I could understand PSU. Biggest nightmare would be him talking Basset into following him there. And what has Scott done as a coach or competitor that would make recruits flock to him ???
Jax Forrest moved to PA in 7th grade from North Carolina. Coleman Scott was UNC's head coach then. Coleman Scott left UNC and now seems to be John Smith's successor at OSU.

This might explain some of the Forrest to OSU connection.

It’s 83% about building relationships. The other half is pure luck.

It’s 83% about building relationships. The other half is pure luck.
So Scott is a great salesman. If you are able to sell guys like Lockett and Forrest, who will be great no matter who the coach is, recruits will start thinking your a great coach, and it just builds on itself then. Makes me sick to think OSU may pass us again soon.🤮

So Scott is a great salesman. If you are able to sell guys like Lockett and Forrest, who will be great no matter who the coach is, recruits will start thinking your a great coach, and it just builds on itself then. Makes me sick to think OSU may pass us again soon.🤮
I think there might be some truth in that. It’s a program with history.

Yes, the rumor is Jax to Okie State. But you have to realize there are about 10 other extremely good wrestlers that Iowa could be starting to build a relationship with. Joey & Fred Bachmann, Landon Sidun, Keanu Dillard, Melvin Miller, Chase Karenbuaer, Mario Hutcherson, Sam Herring, Austin Johnson who are all top PA kids coming up. You can even look in NY at Cam Howard. I would almost bet a lot of these kids who are currently 8th-10th graders have some sort of relationship with other top schools right now, but is Iowa building that relationship with them is the question?

It sucks, but none of these studs are going to choose Iowa. There is no reason to. I wish it wasn't the case, but the track record proves otherwise. These hammers are wrestling scholars. They live the sport, and while they know the traditions of Iowa, they know recent history as well. Compare a few careers. Kem and Starocci had nearly identical careers coming out of high school. Hell, Starocci had nearly twice as many losses as Murin!!! Kaleb Young, and the Hidlays were also nearly identical. Compare the college careers. It's not even close. I specifically used examples that weren't just Penn State. Even look at Assad. Whatever is going on in the room isn't working. He was right there with everyone.

I even look at Spencer. Legit should be a 4 timer. Covid and injuries derailed that. I get it. But it still wasn't handled great. You have legit one of the greatest ever. Could beat 99% of the country with no knees. Clearly can't train properly, and you don't think of moving him to 133?!?! It's just so damn frustrating!!

And before the responses pour in about not having a clue what I'm talking about, I'll admit. I'm not in the the loop with the program. I just hear things parents and kids are saying. I've been in the Young Guns room when everyone was leaning Iowa, and I've been in M2 practices when they were still in a storage unit.

It's just tough when the program I loved growing up is getting passed by. I want to watch these kids in front of a sold out Carver.

Kem would have if not for CStar. Turns out he was/is pretty good. Sometimes studs end up with all-timers at their weight. See the Hidlay brothers. It isn't always black and white.

i think kem and warner had terrific careers...but i'm not a top PFP recruit

do we think the best of the best recruits look at kem and warner and think "wow...sign me up"?
I think the kid from Don Bosco Iowa with a couple titles look and say “wow, sign me up”
The Jax forest and Bo and Knox of the world don’t give a second look. They’re looking to change the record books.

I even look at Spencer. Legit should be a 4 timer. Covid and injuries derailed that. I get it. But it still wasn't handled great. You have legit one of the greatest ever. Could beat 99% of the country with no knees. Clearly can't train properly, and you don't think of moving him to 133?!?! It's just so damn frustrating!!

everything else is fair analysis but this paragraph is nonsense. being a 4 timer is really freaking hard. maybe we have become desensitized to it the last 5-6 years but the list of elite wrestlers who didn’t even sniff it is very long.

and what makes you think 133 was the answer? It wasn’t a weight issue it was a mobility issue… so let’s bump him up against rby and vito who move as well as anyone out there. simply put he needed more time to recover from the double acl injury and regain his stength and mobility but that wasn’t in the cards. it sucks but anyone who blames brands for it is just looking for a scapegoat.

everything else is fair analysis but this paragraph is nonsense. being a 4 timer is really freaking hard. maybe we have become desensitized to it the last 5-6 years but the list of elite wrestlers who didn’t even sniff it is very long.

and what makes you think 133 was the answer? It wasn’t a weight issue it was a mobility issue… so let’s bump him up against rby and vito who move as well as anyone out there. simply put he needed more time to recover from the double acl injury and regain his stength and mobility but that wasn’t in the cards. it sucks but anyone who blames brands for it is just looking for a scapegoat.
In a conversation with the Father of a starter on our team. He point blank said, “Brands gets a bad rap from people who think he makes our guys wrestle with injuries, it’s just not true” He also said, “Brands make them sit even if they want to go.”

Kaleb Young, and the Hidlays were also nearly identical. Compare the college careers. It's not even close. I specifically used examples that weren't just Penn State.

Well, no. Hayden was top 10 and Young was about 30. Just pointing that out--your other points were better.

MSU is as usual out in left field. "It's ok that Iowa wrestlers aren't winning titles because it's really hard!" LOL...yeesh. Meanwhile, UNI has has many champs as Iowa in the past decade.

I legit said he would have been a 4 timer. Without covid, he would have been one without an asterisk. I have no doubt. I never said it was easy, but coming out of high school would you have put money on Starocci being a 4 timer over Spencer?

As far as mobility, I don't think that was the issue as much as conditioning. He was limited with mobility the day he stepped on campus. It clearly was more of a tank issue. He trains harder than just about anyone, but throw a weight cut with the inability to work out properly, and it's an issue.

You mentioned RBY and Vito. Desanto did a pretty damn good job of slowing down Rby. Didn't always come out on top, but he's not Spencer.

Reactions: eb05
Well, no. Hayden was top 10 and Young was about 30. Just pointing that out--your other points were better.

MSU is as usual out in left field. "It's ok that Iowa wrestlers aren't winning titles because it's really hard!" LOL...yeesh. Meanwhile, UNI has has many champs as Iowa in the past decade.
As usual your reading comprehension and deductive reasoning skills are terrible. I didn’t say that it’s just “ok”. Plenty of times I have said Iowa needs more champs. My argument has been about individual results vs just team results. So, that doesn’t mean that you act like they failed with guys that were Finalists and 4x AA’s. That is what I have been fighting back against. The ridiculous absolutism. 1st or last is a blind fan mentality and, as a former wrestler, I buck against it very hard.

So, to be crystal clear, I do agree that Iowa needs to be better at getting guys to the very top. But, getting guys to the Finals and being 4x AA’s also isn’t flat out failing. Both, can be and are true…

I was mentioning more of the fact that Kaleb beat Trent twice his senior year.

Reactions: pawrestler4life
Yes, the rumor is Jax to Okie State. But you have to realize there are about 10 other extremely good wrestlers that Iowa could be starting to build a relationship with. Joey & Fred Bachmann, Landon Sidun, Keanu Dillard, Melvin Miller, Chase Karenbuaer, Mario Hutcherson, Sam Herring, Austin Johnson who are all top PA kids coming up. You can even look in NY at Cam Howard. I would almost bet a lot of these kids who are currently 8th-10th graders have some sort of relationship with other top schools right now, but is Iowa building that relationship with them is the question?
Where does Iowa sit with the Raney brothers?

In a conversation with the Father of a starter on our team. He point blank said, “Brands gets a bad rap from people who think he makes our guys wrestle with injuries, it’s just not true” He also said, “Brands make them sit even if they want to go.”

right yet many here feed in to the myth by having our own fans repeat it. it’s crazy to me how they complain on the perception of iowa while at the same time spreading stuff that is false and makes iowa look bad. sure there are valid criticisms out there but this ain’t it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT