ADVERTISEMENT

******Official Twins 2019 thread*****

I doubt it. He was mediocre for many years as a first baseman.

I was never a big fan. IMO his lack of emotion and leadership rubbed off on the team. I think the clubhouse was a quite room of death with Naier making $23 million a year and dining nothing to lead team emotionally.

I said on Twins message boards they would never win anything until he is out of clubhouse.

Maher wasn’t clubhouse cancer. He was a black hole sucking the life out of everybody they entered it.

Joe is a straight up mommas boy. He may be the most boring human being on the planet. With his brother Billy and dad being a close 2nd/3rd. Never had any interaction with Jake so not sure on him. His dad is extremely lazy and lethargic. Then Grandpa Jake is bad shit crazy. Joe was sent to Mayo Clinic to get tested for MS back in 2011 when he was suffering from “bi-lateral leg weakness”. Fancy terminology for “lethargic” It’s sleepy Joe Mauer not Biden.

UP NEXT

RHP Jake Odorizzi (9-2, 1.92 ERA) starts for Minnesota in the second game of the three-game series, with Kansas City countering with RHP Glenn Sparkman (1-2, 3.58). Odorizzi has won nine straight decisions, the longest active streak in the majors, and hasn't allowed a run in six of his past seven starts. Sparkman is 1-1 with a 3.15 ERA in four games as a starter this season.

If you get a second, this is a pretty good interview.

Twins P Jake Odorizzi talks to ESPN's Buster Olney about his strong start to the year, Minnesota's ability to gain a substantial lead in the AL Central and more.

LINK: https://www.espn.com/espnradio/playPopup?id=26963950
He wasn't good that game, they pulled him after 2/3 inning, in that one. I can't remember the last time I've seen a starting pitcher pulled before the end of the first inning.He was terrible to start out the season but he has definitely turned it around.

He wasn't good that game, they pulled him after 2/3 inning, in that one. I can't remember the last time I've seen a starting pitcher pulled before the end of the first inning.He was terrible to start out the season but he has definitely turned it around.
listen to that podcast; he was battling a back injury and was struggling with mechanics all at the same time

The Twins got him fixed up, heath wise and mechanics wise

I was leery of the new management team and firing Paul Molitor the year after he won Coach of the Year. But their decisions are all growing on me.

Tonight the Twins retire #7.

From the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

Joe Mauer's flawless swing was masterful mechanics
Hitting mechanics involve a series of movements working in concert. Joe Mauer made the process look effortless.

JUNE 15, 2019 — 7:06AM

CHIP SCOGGINS@CHIPSCOGGINS

Derek Falvey saw a video recently of Joe Mauer, at age 3, swinging a bat. Something looked familiar to the Twins chief baseball officer.

The swing.

“I think it was exactly the same,” Falvey said, laughing.

Twins fans can probably still see that swing in their mind’s eye. A smooth, compact swing executed with assembly-line repetitiveness. From his rookie season to Year 15, Mauer’s stroke looked identical.

Former Cretin-Derham Hall coach Jim O’Neill first saw Mauer’s swing when he was in fifth grade. Same exact swing, O’Neill said.

“It started in the backyard with Wiffle ball,” said Mauer’s older brother, Jake. “I don’t think there was ever a swing overhaul.”

Mauer’s career can be cataloged by distinctive markers. His batting titles, his MVP season, his injuries, his position change and his contract.

His swing deserves a chapter, too. Falvey said it’s “as pretty as they come.”

“There was a smoothness to it and calmness to the way his bat comes through the zone,” he said. “I know this isn’t physically possible, but it felt like he could adjust after the swing was going to manipulate the barrel of the bat.”

Hitting mechanics involve a series of movements working in concert. Mauer made the process look effortless.

“It’s just natural,” Jake Mauer said. “It wasn’t anything that was created by a hitting guru.”

Well, not exactly. His swing was sharpened on a contraption built by his father. The device had connected pipes that would drop a ball into the hitting zone, forcing Mauer to have a compact swing and no excess movement. The invention later became known as “Mauer Quickswing.”

“I think that had an awful lot to do, if not everything to do, with the kind of hitter he turned out to be,” O’Neill said.

Mauer’s swing produced many line drives to the opposite field. He remained committed — or stubborn, in some people’s opinion — to that swing in the face of criticism that he didn’t hit enough home runs.

“That was his best trait — he was always trying to be himself,” Jake said. “He’s not going to be who everybody wants him to be. He’s going to be who he wants to be. I think it worked out pretty good.”

O’Neill recalled a young MLB scout who visited Cretin-Derham Hall during Mauer’s senior season. The Raiders still had a state playoff game after the Twins drafted Mauer No. 1 overall in 2001.

The scout, who worked for another team, returned after the draft to watch Mauer take batting practice.

“I said ‘What are you doing? The draft’s over,’ ” O’Neill said. “He said, ‘If I ever see a high school kid with this kind of swing, I’ve got to remember because I’m going after him.’ ”

JOE’S DAY

The Twins will retire Joe Mauer’s No. 7 before Saturday night’s game against Kansas City. The ceremony begins at 6 p.m.

• Mauer, 36, played 15 seasons for the Twins.
* He is the only catcher to win three batting titles.
* He was the AL MVP in 2009
* He was a six-time All-Star
* He won three Gold Gloves as a catcher before moving to first base in 2013 because of concussions. He retired after last season.

• Hall of Famers Jim Thome, Paul Molitor, Rod Carew, Bert Blyleven and Jack Morris will attend, with more than 25 other Twins alumni.

• Other Twins retired numbers are:

Harmon Killebrew (3),
Tony Oliva (6),
Tom Kelly (10),
Kent Hrbek (14),
Rod Carew (29),
Bert Blyleven (28),
Kirby Puckett (34).
Jackie Robinson’s No. 42 is retired across Major League Baseball.

• Gov. Walz declared Saturday “Joe Mauer Day” in Minnesota.

LINK: http://www.startribune.com/joe-mauer-s-flawless-swing-was-masterful-mechanics/511327332/

Last edited:
For Joe Mauer, the contract became an unjust burden
His inability to produce at a $184 million level in his later seasons drew much criticism from fans.

JUNE 15, 2019 — 7:07AM

JIM SOUHAN@SOUHANSTRIB

Watching Joe Mauer become a lightning rod in Minnesota has been like watching a glass of milk become the center of a political debate.

A reminder: Joe Mauer was born in St. Paul. He struck out just once during a storybook high school career during which he followed the path of Paul Molitor, another St. Paulite who attended Cretin-Derham Hall.

One of the greatest high school athletes from any state, he declined a chance to play quarterback at Florida State to sign with his hometown team, the Twins.

He became one of the best all-around catchers of all time, became the first American League catcher to win a batting title, and won an MVP award just before the Twins opened Target Field. He won three Gold Glove Awards and finished in the top 10 of the MVP voting four times.

He will have his number retired by the Twins this weekend and could follow the lead of Kirby Puckett into the Hall of Fame, as a great player kept from traditional statistical milestones by ailments.

Somehow, Mauer became one of the greatest athletes in Minnesota history without ever causing any trouble. He never said anything controversial or selfish, never got arrested, was never tainted by scandal.

Cool story, right?

For a while, it was.

Mauer became a lightning rod not because of overt action, but because of money and injury.

When Mauer signed an eight-year contract worth $184 million and never again replicated his glory years, he became someone over whom sides were chosen.

One side: He’s a great Minnesota athlete and a nice guy limited by injuries. Leave him alone.

The other side: His salary is killing the Twins, he should give the money back.

Mauer’s legacy was hampered because he made the most money after he performed like one of the greatest catchers of all time, and because he participated in zero playoff victories.

He compares in many ways to Yankees star Derek Jeter. The differences: Jeter played on a team for which payroll was never a concern, and the Yankees won championships with Jeter in the lineup.

Both played premium defensive positions. Mauer hit .306 for his career; Jeter .310. Mauer’s OPS was .827; Jeter’s was .817. Jeter won five Gold Gloves, although more because of his fame than his fielding, and finished in the top 10 of six MVP votes, although he never won one.

Jeter never won a batting title; Mauer won three.

Had Jeter played for the Twins and Mauer for the Yankees, Jeter might have been considered a good-not-great player and Mauer a champion.

Instead, Mauer experienced the tortured bliss of playing in his home state while facing immense expectations. He never caused controversy; it came with the contract.

ows_156055568293806.jpg

Joe Mauer shook hands with then-Twins GM Bill Smith after signing an eight-year, $184 million contract as Mauer’s agent Ron Shapiro, left, looked on during a news conference in Fort Myers, Fla., in 2010.

LINK: http://www.startribune.com/for-joe-mauer-the-contract-became-an-unjust-burden/511327342/

Minnesota had its third straight sellout, the first time it's sold out three straight home games since 2011 when it had six in a row.

The weekend included Joe Mauer's number retirement ceremony on Saturday and drew a total of 117,051 fans. It's the most for a three-game series in Minnesota since it had 117,156 in 2015 with the Chicago Cubs in town.

June 17, 2019 POWER RANKINGS

Join me in DEMANDING that David Ross be IMMEDIATELY FIRED! How dare he disrespect the SOON TO BE World Series Champion Minnesota Twins! ;)

Watch:

greyline.png

i

1. Los Angeles Dodgers
2019 record: 48-24
Week 10 ranking: 1

Corey Seager's hamstring injury suffered early in the week puts a damper on the team's great start as Seager had hit .354/.409/.646 over his previous month, looking again like the Seager of 2016 and 2017. Luckily, the strain wasn't as bad as initially feared, a Grade 1-slash-2, as manager Dave Roberts called it, instead of the more severe Grade 3. In the meantime, Chris Taylor will get the majority of the time at shortstop and regular at-bats to see if he can start producing at the plate. By the way, the Dodgers' rotation in its past 40 games before Sunday night: 2.27 ERA, 253 SO, 36 BB, .210 batting average allowed. Hyun-Jin Ryu isn't the only starter lighting it up. -- David Schoenfield

ICYMI: Dodgers must address their one glaring weakness
in.gif

i

2. Houston Astros
2019 record: 48-24
Week 10 ranking: 2

Those who had been clamoring for the promotion of slugger Yordan Alvarez have not been disappointed, as the 21-year-old masher is off to a soaring start in his big league career. Alvarez clubbed four homers and drove in eight runs over his first five career games. Perhaps more impressive than that, he has added four singles and six walks and has reached base in 14 of his first 23 career plate appearances. He won't keep up this pace, but it is going to be difficult to pry Alvarez out of the talented Astros lineup. -- Bradford Doolittle

i

3. Minnesota Twins
2019 record: 47-23
Week 10 ranking: 3

The team's designated hitters hardly struggled in the absence of injured Nelson Cruz, but it is nice to have the elder statesman back as he seeks his sixth consecutive season with 37 or more home runs. Cruz and his once-injured wrist returned to active duty and provided immediate power and lineup presence, with nearly a homer per day. While general manager Thad Levine will likely look to upgrade the rotation and bullpen in the next six weeks, the offense is one of the deepest in the sport. -- Eric Karabell

ICYMI: How the relaxed Twins are rewriting HR-hitting history

i

4. Tampa Bay Rays
2019 record: 43-28
Week 10 ranking: 5

There really isn't a clear front-runner so far in the American League Cy Young race but any short list of leading contenders has to include Charlie Morton. Morton thus far has hit yet another career-high level in strikeout rate (11.0 K/9) and is allowing a career-low 6.1 hits per nine. The shape of Morton's career has been remarkable, if somewhat emblematic of baseball in 2019. Through age 32, Morton had nearly 900 career innings with a 4.54 ERA and 6.3 K/9. Since then, he's at 3.14 and 10.6 over 401 frames. -- Doolittle

ICYMI: How Wander Franco became MLB's next can't-miss kid

i

5. New York Yankees
2019 record: 43-27
Week 10 ranking: 4

Adding AL home run leader Edwin Encarnacion to a lineup that will soon add Giancarlo Stanton (set to return Tuesday) and Aaron Judge could create one of the most devastating 1-through-9 power lineups ever seen. When everyone is back, Encarnacion will be the DH, pushing Stanton to left field and Brett Gardner to the bench (and Clint Frazier to the minors). That still leaves five infielders and with Gio Urshela continuing to excel on both sides of the ball, look for DJ LeMahieu to assume a full-time utility role, playing first, second and third base. And while the lineup still leans to the right side, consider three of the best starters in the AL East are Blake Snell, Chris Sale and David Price. -- Schoenfield

ICYMI: Yankees can overpower all rivals after Encarnacion trade
in.gif

Last edited:
i

6. Atlanta Braves
2019 record: 42-30
Week 10 ranking: 11

Sunday's 15-1 romp over the Phillies gave the Braves the series victory and concluded a 5-1 week (and 9-1 over their past 10 games). During that 10-game stretch, the Braves went from two games behind the Phillies to 2½ in front of them. In those 10 games, the Braves have hit .312 and averaged 7.8 runs per game, with Ozzie Albies leading the way with a .410/.489/.821 stretch and Ronald Acuna Jr. hitting .375 with four home runs. -- Schoenfield

ICYMI: GM Anthopoulos on Keuchel signing, young stars
listen.png

i

7. Chicago Cubs
2019 record: 39-32
Week 10 ranking: 6

Kyle Hendricks had a run of eight starts during which he went 6-0 with a 1.99 ERA and .538 OPS allowed. Then he got hammered by the Dodgers in his most recent turn and ended up on the disabled list with shoulder inflammation. Hendricks leads the Cubs in innings pitched, so as we wait to learn the severity of Hendricks' injury, the rising momentum of Chicago's season is suddenly in limbo. -- Doolittle

ICYMI: Epstein: Zobrist could return to Cubs this season

i

8. Boston Red Sox
2019 record: 39-34
Week 10 ranking: 9

Nothing like a trip to Baltimore to make a team feel better about itself. After five consecutive victories, the past three against the hapless Orioles, the Red Sox face a much tougher foe with a three-game set at Minnesota. And that has been a problem for the Sox, who haven't won a series against a team that currently has a winning record since April 29-May 1, when they swept a three-game set with Oakland. -- Steve Richards

ICYMI: Which AL wild-card contenders should go for it before the trade deadline
in.gif

i

9. Milwaukee Brewers
2019 record: 40-31
Week 10 ranking: 8

Remember that "let the kids play" promo early in the season in which Christian Yelich awkwardly declared that he was going to hit 50 home runs this year? Turns out he was being as humble as usual. Yelich is on pace to fly past the 50-homer mark and threaten 60 dingers. The Brewers have had one 50-homer season in franchise history, that coming when Prince Fielder hit that number exactly in 2007. As for Yelich, his rate of improvement continues to be staggering. His career-high 36 homers last season were 15 more than he'd ever hit before, but now he's making that total look quaint. -- Doolittle

i

10. Philadelphia Phillies
2019 record: 39-32
Week 10 ranking: 7

The Phillies have rotation issues and veteran Jake Arrieta, in his second season with the club, is not helping much. Arrieta is scheduled to start twice this week, and beat the Diamondbacks last Tuesday but allowed three runs and four walks over six innings. His ERA and WHIP rose to 4.31 and 1.45, even worse than last season, and his strikeout rate continues to be one of the lesser ones among starters. The Phillies need help, but they need a better Arrieta too. -- Karabell

ICYMI: Real or not? This home run thing has gotten out of hand

LINK:
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/pa...nkings-nl-rivals-ready-challenge-dodgers-no-1

Last edited:
It was a pitching duel last night between Boston's Porcello & the Twins' Berrios, who was still throwing 95 mph in the 8th inning.

Berrios only gives up 1 run in 8 innings of work. The Twins offense does not show up. Boston scores one more time in the 9th & wins, 2-0.

The 2 pitchers combined for 18 Ks (10 by Berrios).

Announced Attendance: 27,970.

This is just the second time this season the Twins have been shutout. The Twins (47-24) have their fifth two-game losing streak of the season. They've yet to lose three in a row.

This was the first time in 15 games the major league home run leaders failed to go deep.

CF Byron Buxton was on the bench for the third straight game because of a bruised right wrist. He was hit by a pitch there on Friday night by Kansas City's Brad Keller. Last season, Buxton was sidelined for more than a month in Triple-A because of a left wrist strain he suffered while swinging.

UP NEXT

Red Sox: LHP David Price (4-2, 3.52 ERA) takes the mound for the middle game of the series, after allowing a season-high six runs while recording only four outs in his last start against Texas. He's 10-4 with a 2.62 ERA in 18 career appearances against the Twins.

Twins: RHP Michael Pineda (4-3, 5.04 ERA) pitches on Tuesday night. After surrendering exactly three earned runs over six consecutive turns, Pineda gave up only one run on two hits and two walks in 5 2/3 innings in his last start against Seattle.

Berrios (8-3) line:
8 innings pitched
5 hits allowed
1 run allowed (earned)
0 walks
10 Strike outs
109 pitches (83 strikes)
2.86 ERA for the year

Watch:

Last edited:
The soon to be World Series Champion Twins beat Boston 4-3 in 17 innings last night.

The game lasted until almost 2 am.

It was the longest game (by innings) in Target Field history.

They played 5 hrs, 45 min, the 4th longest game in team history.

Oh bleep! Did a missed call enable the Twins to win?

Boston seems to think so.

Max Kepler was the player of the game. Max tied the game with a home run in the bottom of the 13th inning and then won it with a bases-loaded walk-off single in the 17th, somehow sneaking a ground ball down the right-field line past a five-man infield.

Watch the Twins walk-off with help of this controversial no-call:

Last edited:
I wonder what Sano would bring in trade market.

He sucks, he looks fatter every game.

Tired of him and all his issues.

Reactions: rivalhawks
I wonder what Sano would bring in trade market.

He sucks, he looks fatter every game.

Tired of him and all his issues.
Two years ago I was ready for the Twins to back the Brinks truck up to his house. Now I'm wondering what kind of pitcher we could get at the trade deadline for him. Luck would have him turn into David Ortiz 2.0 if they dealt him though.

Give a grade to this signing!

Twins reach deal with ex-Angels reliever Allen

June 22, 2019
10:04 PM CT

The Minnesota Twins have agreed to a minor league deal with right-handed reliever Cody Allen (click on this link for his career stats).

Allen was designated for assignment by the Los Angeles Angels one day after he gave up four runs over 2/3 of an inning in a 9-4 loss to the Tampa Bay Rays on June 14.

Allen had a 6.26 ERA over 23 innings in 25 appearances with the Angels and lost his closer role in his first season with the club.

Allen came to Los Angeles in free agency on a one-year, $8.5 million deal. He spent the previous seven seasons with the Cleveland Indians.

The 30-year-old righty had a run of five straight seasons with a sub-3.00 ERA before last year, when he had a 4.70 ERA for the Indians.

LINK: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27033914/twins-reach-deal-ex-angels-reliever-allen

Give a grade to this signing!

Twins reach deal with ex-Angels reliever Allen

June 22, 2019
10:04 PM CT

The Minnesota Twins have agreed to a minor league deal with right-handed reliever Cody Allen (click on this link for his career stats).

Allen was designated for assignment by the Los Angeles Angels one day after he gave up four runs over 2/3 of an inning in a 9-4 loss to the Tampa Bay Rays on June 14.

Allen had a 6.26 ERA over 23 innings in 25 appearances with the Angels and lost his closer role in his first season with the club.

Allen came to Los Angeles in free agency on a one-year, $8.5 million deal. He spent the previous seven seasons with the Cleveland Indians.

The 30-year-old righty had a run of five straight seasons with a sub-3.00 ERA before last year, when he had a 4.70 ERA for the Indians.

LINK: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27033914/twins-reach-deal-ex-angels-reliever-allen

We need any help we can get. Hopefully Wes Johnson can work his magic again.

What do you think about these collared throwback threads?

The Twins wore St. Paul Gophers uniform replicas from 1908. They were worn today to honor "Salute to the Negro Leagues" day in KC.

You can bid on game-worn, autographed jerseys from today’s game. Proceeds benefit the NLBM.

LINK to make your bid:
https://www.mlb.com/royals/tickets/specials/salute-negro-leagues

CLICK ON IMAGES FOR LARGER VIEW

1907StPaulColoredGophers.jpg

D0gNEDlU8AE3P1f.jpg

D9w6PdgWsAAMs96.jpg

D9xDfIRW4AAw7OT.jpg

D9xDfRzXUAANaz9.jpg

D9xDfcFWsAYM9of.jpg

D9xDfnYWkAAi0em.jpg

Last edited:
This week we will be hitting the 1/2 way point of the season! Crazy.

After splitting 4 games with the lowly Royals (which have the 2nd worst record in MLB), here are the top 10 teams, by record, in MLB:

54-25 Los Angeles Dodgers
50-27 Minnesota Twins
49-28 New York Yankees
49-30 Houston Astros
46-32 Atlanta Braves
45-33 Tampa Bay Rays
42-35 Chicago Cubs
42-35 Cleveland Indians
42-36 Milwaukee Brewers
42-36 Texas Rangers

Most years the strategy of getting players in the twilight of their careers doesn't work.

This season it happens to be working for the Twins. We'll see how the second half of the season goes.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Most years the strategy of getting players in the twilight of their careers doesn't work.

This season it happens to be working for the Twins. We'll see how the second half of the season goes.
I predict that the first 2 teams to 50 wins face each other in the World Series! :)

Who, besides Cruz, did the Twins pick up that are in the twilight of their careers?

Twins looking to carry their success beyond this year

JUNE 22, 2019 — 9:33PM

SID HARTMAN
(Link to all his writings)
@SIDHARTMAN (Twitter)

The Twins could not have imagined a first half of 2019 like the one they are having. They are off to the best start in club history and hitting at a historic pace, and fans are starting to return to the ballpark.

Through May 5, when the Twins wrapped up a four-game homestand with Houston, the team had drawn only 269,493 fans through 16 home games, averaging 16,843 per game.

Wednesday, the team played its 37th home game, vs. Boston. In the 21 home dates since that Astros series ended, the club drew 632,192 fans, an average of 30,104 fans per game.

And the simple fact is that even as the club is going through a tough stretch — until Thursday, it hadn’t gone worse than 3-3 over any six-game stretch this season — the Twins still hold a sizable lead in the AL Central and have the best record in the AL.

“The team has gotten off to such a tremendous start, and often when we see that there’s kind of a lag between when it kind of catches up with fans actually getting out to the park,” Twins President Dave St. Peter said about the recent surge in attendance. “The weather didn’t help that. But you know, the market is energized. People are excited about this team. I think they see a path towards continued success, not just in the regular season but I think we all dream of that success in October.”

What does St. Peter see for ticket sales going forward? “We still have a lot of work to do,” he said. “We lost a couple thousand season tickets year over year from last year, but what we’ve seen in the last 30 days is really impressive from a fan perspective. We have sold more single-game tickets, more group tickets, in the last 30 days than in really any point in Target Field history. I’m encouraged and I’m hopeful that we’re going to push north of 2 million in total attendance, and I’d like to get to 2.1, 2.2.

“Coming off of last year, we drew just shy of 2 million, and I think that would be a good goal for us. Ultimately we want to get back to that 2.5 million mark, because I believe that’s where this market should be, particularly with a good baseball team.”

When the Twins opened Target Field in 2010, owner Jim Pohlad told me that fans would stop coming to the ballpark if the club did not win.

And that has proved true. The simple fact is that the Twins haven’t had back-to-back winning seasons since 2009-10, and attendance has dipped.

Payroll, free agency moves

Nearly every major contender figures to be looking to add some pitchers as the July 31 trade deadline approaches, and the Twins are no exception.

St. Peter said that while the team hasn’t made any moves yet, he believes the Twins will be aggressive and payroll won’t be a hurdle. The club ranks 20th in team payroll in Major League Baseball at $121.5 million.

“The circumstances are such that the group of players that we have here today, a lot of those guys over time are going to require us to make incremental decisions and investments, frankly, to keep them in Twins uniforms,” he said. “We certainly have a vision here to try to keep this group together, try to be smart about it as we go forward. But I can assure you that the Pohlad family is committed to winning.

“We have work to do this year, and I think we’ll aggressively pursue improvements to this team going forward. If that means taking on payroll, so be it.”

Does he have an inkling if the team will still look for position players?

“I’m not going to suggest we won’t look at position players, but we’re probably going to be more focused on pitching and that’s going to be our priority going forward,” St. Peter said. “I think [manager] Rocco [Baldelli] and our coaching staff and [Chief Baseball Officer] Derek Falvey and [General Manager] Thad Levine are really happy with where our offense is right now and I think our focus going forward is going to be to reinforce our pitching staff.”

This past week, Byron Buxton, Ehire Adrianza and Marwin Gonzalezwent on the injured list. St. Peter said that the ability to call up players such as Luis Arraez, Jake Cave and Willians Astudillo shows part of the blueprint the club has for trying to compete over several years, not just this season.

“I think Jeremy Zoll, our farm director, probably doesn’t get enough credit. He came to us from the Dodgers organization and behind the scenes has just done a remarkable job of really working to shape our player development program,” St. Peter said. “It’s one of the reasons I’m so optimistic going forward, is I know we have depth, more depth than we have had, and that will prove to be valuable particularly going into the trade deadline.

“We might need to give up some of those assets to get something back. But also for 2020 and beyond, the opportunity to mesh what is currently here in Minnesota, which is going pretty well, with a group of players that have special opportunities going forward. I think that’s why hopefully 2019 is a period of sustained success. That is the goal. That is the vision. And we’re optimistic we can deliver on that.”

Last edited:
Spinning wheels in neutral lately.

Hopefully they have a hot stretch soon.
I'll take that over a 7 game losing streak like the Astros. The twins havent had many, if any, bad series' to date. The second half of the season will certainly have its ups and downs, hopefully the ups out weigh the downs. 1st half of the season has went better then anyone could have imagined.

June 24 Power Rankings:

greyline.png

i

1. Los Angeles Dodgers
2019 record: 54-25
Week 11 ranking: 1

Wow! The Dodgers swept the Rockies with three walk-off home runs, and the heroes, all rookies, were not any of the guys headed to the All-Star Game. On Friday, Matt Beaty hit a two-run walk-off in the ninth inning. On Saturday, Alex Verdugo walked it off in the 11th, his second home run of the game. On Sunday, it was Will Smith, who had a pinch-hit, three-run jack to send Dodger Stadium into a frenzy. This is the best team in baseball right now and there shouldn't be an argument about it. -- David Schoenfield

ICYMI: How 'Get it out of the ocean' stoked a rivalry -- and L.A.'s T-shirt business

i

2. New York Yankees
2019 record: 49-28
Week 11 ranking: 5

The Astros snapped the Yankees' eight-game winning streak Sunday, but the Yankees' home run streak continued as they reached 26 consecutive games on DJ LeMahieu's 10th homer. They're now one game away from tying the 2002 Rangers' record of 27 games in a row. Of course, the big news of the week was the return of Giancarlo Stanton and Aaron Judge. Stanton went 5-for-17 in four games, including a four-RBI game on Saturday. Judge went 0-for-10 in three games with a walk and four strikeouts. -- Schoenfield

ICYMI: Hinting at how dominant they can become, Yankees soar

i

3. Minnesota Twins
2019 record: 50-27
Week 11 ranking: 3

Twins catchers continue to amaze, as the combination of Mitch Garver, Jason Castro and Willians Astudillo have provided the AL Central leaders with tremendous production. Garver has been particularly potent against left-handed pitchers, even hitting first in the lineup at times. Castro slugs against right-handers and is a strong defender. Astudillo has played everywhere in the field except shortstop (can you imagine?) and center field. These fellows will not get MVP votes, but what a crew. -- Eric Karabell

ICYMI: Twins win one of 2019's best games

i

4. Houston Astros
2019 record: 49-30
Week 11 ranking: 2

A seven-game losing streak seemed unthinkable for Houston, but that's just what the Astros endured, finally winning Sunday against the Yankees. During the slide, Houston averaged 2.7 runs, down significantly from their season average of 5.12. Part of the problem: Leadoff hitters (primarily Alex Bregman) were 4-for-28 (.143) with three runs scored. But help is on the way as regular leadoff man George Springer is on track to be activated Tuesday after missing a month because of a hamstring injury. -- Steve Richards

ICYMI: Which teams' lineups are in their own league?
in.gif

i

5. Atlanta Braves
2019 record: 46-32
Week 11 ranking: 6

After taking two of three from the Mets and Nationals, the Braves have won five straight series, going 13-3 in that span. Josh Donaldsonfound his power groove in those 16 games, hitting .313/.371/.703 with seven home runs and four doubles. Keep an eye on Mike Soroka, who left Sunday's game in the third inning after being hit in the arm by a pitch. That game ended in a 10-inning victory, however, with Johan Camargo's pinch-hit homer in the 10th. -- Schoenfield

ICYMI: Turns out the NL East didn't have four good teams

i

6. Tampa Bay Rays
2019 record: 45-33
Week 11 ranking: 4

We'll be watching to see how Blake Snell bounces back when he faces the Twins on Tuesday. He recorded only one out against the Yankees in his last start, giving up six runs, two hits and four walks, and in four starts this month, he has a 10.29 ERA and has gotten through the fifth inning only once. The Rays -- and their bullpen -- need more than that from Snell. -- Richards

ICYMI: Rays explore splitting games with Montreal

i

7. Boston Red Sox
2019 record: 42-37
Week 11 ranking: 8

After taking two of three at Minnesota and posting an exciting comeback win over the Blue Jays on Friday for their eighth win in nine games, it seemed the Red Sox had turned the corner for good on their up-and-down season. But two disheartening losses to Toronto this weekend set the Sox back on their heels again, repeating what has been a pattern for the defending champs. -- Richards

ICYMI: Where do Red Sox rank among MLB pitching staffs?
in.gif

i

8. Chicago Cubs
2019 record: 42-35
Week 11 ranking: 7

Cole Hamels has had a career renaissance as a Cub. Since last summer's trade from the Rangers, the veteran lefty has a 2.67 ERA in 28 starts (including 18 quality starts), with the Cubs winning 18 of those games. He has posted a remarkable 23.9% strikeout rate and .285 wOBA allowed during his time as a Cub. Even as a 36-year-old free agent over the winter, he'll be in demand. -- Christina Kahrl

ICYMI: Why unlikely leadoff man Schwarber makes Cubs so dangerous

i

9. Colorado Rockies
2019 record: 40-37
Week 11 ranking: 13

The loss of star shortstop Trevor Story to a sprained right thumb for the next few weeks, coupled with three walk-off losses to the Dodgers, cast a shadow on the Rockies' week, right at a time when they had been shooting up the standings. The team can only hope that Brendan Rodgers, who batted .246/.300/.277 during his first stint with the big club but .350/.413/.622 in 37 games for Triple-A Albuquerque this season, provides even a fraction of Story's production in the veteran's absence. -- Tristan H. Cockcroft

i

10. St. Louis Cardinals
2019 record: 40-37
Week 11 ranking: 14

The Cardinals' bullpen has the majors' 10th-best ERA (4.08), but might have some tough calls to make about who pitches the late frames. Usual closer Jordan Hicks enters the week questionable because of triceps tendinitis, and Carlos Martinez, the most logical immediate fill-in, has been surrounded by chatter that he could be a second-half starter for the team. Lost in all that is that John Gant is the team's pitching leader in WAR (1.4), carrying this pen behind seven relief wins, 10 holds and a 2.40 ERA. -- Cockcroft

ICYMI: What makes Albert Pujols' return to St. Louis one of a kind
in.gif

i

11. Cleveland Indians
2019 record: 42-35
Week 11 ranking: 15

To keep their postseason hopes alive, the Indians are putting their faith in the kids, moving Oscar Mercado into center field (and ditching Leonys Martin after long since cutting Carlos Gonzalez and Hanley Ramirez), and calling up top prospect Bobby Bradley to man first base and let Carlos Santana take over at DH. Bradley ripped a double in his debut, but even if he rakes, the Indians will still need a fresh bat for either outfield corner. -- Kahrl

ICYMI: Contenders on the edge weigh big choices
in.gif

i

12. Milwaukee Brewers
2019 record: 42-36
Week 11 ranking: 9

Playing .500 baseball in June might temper expectations for Milwaukee, but the Cubs haven't been any better, reigniting a division-wide race for the NL Central. With the lineup struggling to get offense from four different positions, pressure is mounting to do something about Travis Shaw, still struggling to get back on track since returning from the IL with a .283 wOBA in June. -- Kahrl

ICYMI: Yelich in epic NL MVP race

i

13. Oakland Athletics
2019 record: 41-38
Week 11 ranking: 16

Losing both top starter Frankie Montas (to an 80-game PED suspension) and closer Blake Treinen (to a strained shoulder) in the same week was grim news for an A's team still hanging around in the AL wild-card race, with little in the way of equivalent quality to call upon to shore up the staff. Facing a trio of contenders in the Cardinals, Angels and Twins next on the schedule, the A's status as buyers or sellers at the deadline might be determined by the Fourth of July. -- Kahrl

Who, besides Cruz, did the Twins pick up that are in the twilight of their careers?
Yeah, I phrased that wrong. I was more referring to guys like Schoop, Cron, Pineda, and a few who have never starred for other teams and came to the Twins relatively cheap.

Everything is clicking right now, but that pitching staff likely won't hold up in the playoffs against teams like NYY and Houston. Still very impressive to this point.

Here's a pretty good article. It touches on the Twins' offense and defense & MLB overall.

One thing I found VERY interesting: it touches on how the big free agent signings are not producing, where they remind us why front offices are so reluctant to pay out big money now in free agency.

As you will also see, MLB (not just the Twins) has a bullpen problem. No team bullpen has ever finished with an ERA above 6.00 but we might see two teams do it in the same season this year.

Excerpts follow. The entire article (which digs in more, on players and teams) is linked at the end of this post.

Everything you need to know halfway through the MLB season

• i

David SchoenfieldESPN Senior Writer
  • June 25, 2019
• The Minnesota Twins have belted 147 home runs, a season-long pace of 309 home runs. That would destroy the single-season mark of 267, set last season by the New York Yankees.

• Entering Monday, 22 players had at least 19 home runs, a 40-homer pace. If 22 players do get to 40, that would break the single-season record of 17 players from 1996. Only three players hit 40 last season. The home run leaderboard is full of surprising names such as Hunter Renfroe (23), Jorge Soler (21), Ketel Marte (20), Josh Bell (20), Max Kepler (19), Derek Dietrich (18) and Daniel Vogelbach (18).

• The Baltimore Orioles are on pace to give up 324 home runs. That's an average of 36 home runs for each of the nine spots in the lineup. Nolan Arenado led the NL last year with 38 home runs.

So, home runs -- a record-setting amount of them, on pace for 1,000 more home runs than last season and 500 more than previous record set in 2017 -- have been the big story of the first half. Because this is baseball, critics have met this onslaught of power with a considerable degree of "get off my lawn" commentary. Back in 2014, everyone was complaining that nobody could hit anymore. Now everyone is complaining that there are too many home runs.

Keep in mind that the overall runs scored per game remain within historical norms at 4.78 per game (the highest since 4.80 in 2007). Yes, all the home runs are mixed in with more strikeouts, fewer singles and fewer stolen bases, and this decline of non-home run action in the game is a reasonable issue to debate. At the same time, whenever I go to a game and the home team hits a home run, the fans all rise and cheer. Home runs aren't all evil (unless you're an Orioles fan).

Bullpen blues

As Nationals fans will attest, bullpens are historically bad. The Nationals have a 6.29 bullpen ERA, and the woeful Orioles are at 6.34. No modern bullpen has finished with an ERA above 6.00, and now we might see two teams do it in the same season. But it's not just bullpens in the mid-Atlantic region that are struggling. Relievers have a 4.50 ERA, while starters have a 4.44 ERA -- which would be the first season since 1969 that relievers have a worse ERA than starters.

One theory is that as managers demand more from relievers and less from starters, bullpens are getting stretched too thin. For most of the 2000s, the spread between starters' ERA and relievers' ERA hovered between 0.25 runs all the way up to 0.52 in 2012. That season, starters had 4.19 ERA, while relievers were at 3.67.

That also was when we started seeing a high uptick in relievers with high-octane velocity. I think part of this year's bullpen equation is that batters have become better at hitting high-velocity fastballs -- and that's going to affect relievers more than starters, since most relievers don't have the deep repertoire of pitches that starters have.

The American League is awful

The NL leads interleague play 76-57 (again, through Sunday), which is one way to explain how bad the AL has been. But what we really mean is the Blue Jays, Orioles, Tigers, Royals and Mariners. I thought it would be hard to top 2018, when three AL teams lost 100 games, but look at the projected win-loss record of those five teams based on their current win percentage:

Orioles: 45-117 (two games worse than last season)
Royals: 57-105
Tigers: 57-105
Blue Jays: 60-102
Mariners: 69-93

The Mariners aren't on pace to lose 100, but they're trending in that direction, going 23-45 after that 13-2 start. Maybe they don't all get to 100 losses. FanGraphs projects only the Orioles losing 100 games. But the bottom line? A third of the AL is playing unwatchable baseball right now.

Yankees survive slew of injuries

The Yankees have benefited from the awful AL, surging past Tampa Bay into the AL East lead, even though they seemed to be playing their B team for much of the first half. Through their first 77 games, consider the games missed from this Yankees group: Giancarlo Stanton 70, Miguel Andujar 65, Didi Gregorius 64, Aaron Judge 54, Aaron Hicks 47. That is 300 missed games, or about two full seasons' worth of games from five players who combined for 146 home runs a year ago.

Others stepped up, however, most notably Luke Voit, Gio Urshela and Cameron Maybin. While the Yankees have cleaned up against the Orioles (10-2), they also played well against the Rays (7-2) and Red Sox (4-1). The schedule gets a little tougher over the next several weeks, however, including 10 games against the Red Sox through Aug. 4 and eight against the Rays.

Defense matters

OK, it's also mattered, but this is a reminder that even though the average strikeouts per game are up to 8.71, that still means a team has to get about 18 to 19 outs per game with its defense. The top five teams in defensive runs saved:

Dodgers: +97
Astros: +59
Diamondbacks: +51
Twins: +50
Rays: +47

Four of those teams would be in the playoffs if the season ended today, and the Diamondbacks have remained competitive despite losing three of their best players from 2018. On the other end of the list are the Mariners (minus-72), Orioles (minus-56), Mets (minus-55), Nationals (minus-30) and Tigers (minus-29). The Mariners, Orioles and Tigers weren't going to be good even with decent defense, but the Mets and Nationals certainly have been hurt at times by their defense.

Free-agent blues

All offseason, everyone whined about the lack of action on the free-agent market. Some went further than complaining. Well, here are how the top-10 free agents in total dollars have fared:

Bryce Harper ($330 million): 35th among NL position players in FanGraphs WAR
Manny Machado ($300 million): Trending up, but still just 21st among NL positon players
Patrick Corbin ($140 million): Hot start, but has struggled of late and is 6-5, 3.90 ERA
Nathan Eovaldi ($67.5 million): Injured, made just four starts
A.J. Pollock ($60 million): Injured, hit .223 in 28 games
Andrew McCutchen ($50 million): Out for season with torn ACL
Yusei Kikuchi ($43 million): 4-5, 5.11 ERA, including 9.00 ERA past six starts
Zack Britton ($39 million): 2-1, 2.51, 25 SO, 18 BB, 22 H in 32⅓ IP
J.A. Happ ($34 million): 7-4, 5.23 ERA, 19 HR in 84.1 IP
Michael Brantley ($32 million): .322/.382/.512, 11 HR, 43 RBI

So far, the only clear "win" for the teams has been Brantley. McCutchen was playing well before his unfortunate injury, and Britton has been reliable despite the high walk rate. Still, as a group, these 10 have been much worse than those from last season's group. And we wonder why front offices are so reluctant to pay out big money now in free agency?

LINK to full story: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27048563/everything-need-know-halfway-mlb-season

Last edited:
Twins' Max Kepler leading baseball's charge into Europe
  • i

Steve Wulf
  • ESPN Senior Writer
  • June 27, 2019

It's a beautiful day for baseball.

A sellout crowd of 39,913 fills up Target Field on a late May Sunday to take advantage of the all-too-rare sunshine and watch the hometown, first-place Minnesota Twins play the Chicago White Sox. The vibes are particularly festive in Sections 134-136, which are a stone's throw away from a beer garden and a baseball toss away from the right fielder, Max Kepler.

"They love Max out here," an usher says. "He's been playing great, but most innings, he also throws balls into the stands at the end of his warm-ups. He's very good at spreading them out. I'm seeing more and more Kepler 26 jerseys. [pause] He's especially popular with the young girls."

Playing in the hometown of General Mills, the 26-year-old Kepler seems to have stepped off a box of Wheaties. But his popularity is not strictly based on his good looks and Adonis-like physique (6-foot-4, 220 pounds.). He's a complete ballplayer, fast and tenacious enough to bat leadoff, powerful enough to be among the team leaders in home runs and RBIs, and graceful enough to be considered one of the best right fielders in baseball. (As of this writing, he has 19 homers, 51 RBIs, an OBP of .351 and an OPS of .928. He just missed the cut for AL outfielders in the All-Star Game voting.)

"We drove all the way from Sioux Falls to see him," says Haley Beckstrand, 14, who's wearing her Kepler 26 shirt and sitting between her parents in the right-field seats after their four-hour drive from South Dakota. "He's a great player. And he has such a cool story. He's from Germany! And his parents were ballet dancers!"

She's right. Max's mother, Kathy Kepler, is from Texas, and his father, Marek Rozycki, is from Poland, and they met at a barre -- namely, the Berlin Ballet Company. Their son's given name is Max Kepler-Rozycki, but at the beginning of his odyssey to the major leagues, they realized the name wouldn't fit on the back of his jersey. So every time Kepler comes to bat at Target Field, the name under his profile on the center-field scoreboard reads ROZYCKI.

It's a tribute not only to his father's Polish heritage but also to the Twins, who took a chance on signing him 10 years ago, when he was playing baseball for a sports academy in Regensburg, Germany, and then patiently waited for him to catch up to his more experienced teammates from places such as Florida, Indiana, California, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic.

It's a subtle reminder that the game of baseball had its origins across the pond, to whence it will return on June 29 and 30, when the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox play at London Stadium in the first MLB games played in Europe.

Max is not the first European to play for the Twins; Hall of Fame pitcher Bert Blyleven was born in Zeist, Holland. "Yes, but I left there when I was 2," says Blyleven, now an analyst on Twins telecasts. "I'm just glad we found him. He's a great German export."

Nor is Max the only European playing in the majors. Yankees shortstop Didi Gregorius was born in Amsterdam, though he learned the game after moving to Curacao at the age of 5. Pirates reliever Dovydas Neverauskas, who bounces back and forth between Pittsburgh and its Triple-A affiliate in Indianapolis, is from Lithuania, a country whose claim to baseball fame has heretofore been confined to the story of Eddie Waitkus. The son of Lithuanian immigrants, Waitkus was a first baseman for the Chicago Cubs in 1949 when an obsessed admirer shot him. He not only survived but also inspired the novelist Bernard Malamud to write that great American novel, "The Natural."

There are more Europeans in the pipelines of the minors. Martin Cervenka, from Prague in the Czech Republic, is a rifle-armed catcher for the Orioles' Double-A affiliate, the Bowie BaySox. He occasionally runs into another European in the Eastern League, New Hampshire Fisher Cats catcher Alberto Mineo, who is from a small town near Gorizia, Italy, on the border with Slovenia. There is also a shortstop for the French national baseball team who has raised the eyebrows of European scouts: Melissa Mayeux of Le Barcares, France. She has been in the United States the past two years playing softball for Miami-Dade College and will continue to play softball for University of Louisiana-Lafayette next fall, but she hopes to resume her baseball career someday.

There are currently more than 20 Europeans under contract with major league teams, including players from Russia, Moldova, Spain, France, Germany, Lithuania, Italy and the Netherlands.

The exploration for talent in Europe and Africa, as well as other untapped regions, is particularly fascinating because it seems to combine the Old World wisdom of scouting with the New World emphasis on analytics. Baseball executives are unfolding their scouting maps the way they've been opening up their minds.

The game is moving quickly. When Kepler signed with the Twins back in 2009, shortstops always played on the left side of the infield, starters were expected to go at least five innings, if not the distance, and lineups were shaped by the time-honored tradition of speed on top of the order, power in the middle and hope at the bottom. The other day, Mike Mordecai, the manager of the Fisher Cats and a 12-year major league veteran infielder, pondered the changes while sitting in his office at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium in Manchester, New Hampshire:

"If Lou Gehrig or Babe Ruth or Jackie Robinson came back today and saw the game, they might not recognize it. They would say, 'What the hell?' to the defensive shifts or the relievers starting games. But you know what? If you told them that there's a right fielder from Germany or a pitcher from Lithuania or a catcher who's from Italy, they might actually like that. They would see that the national pastime has gone global."

As part of the festivities for the Yankees-Red Sox series, MLB will be hosting the Elite European Development Tournament in Slough, England. "We've invited 91 players in all," says Bill Holmberg, MLB's pitching coordinator for Europe and Africa. "They come from places you would never associate with baseball: Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Belarus. ... Some of them are real prospects. We've got a few pitchers 6-foot-7 and above. If we put the best of them together, we might beat a very good American college team."

Baseball in Europe has become a major priority for MLB. It hosts an annual Arizona Classic showcase that brings European players to the attention of scouts and college coaches. There are numerous two-week Cadet Camps in Europe for promising younger players, as well as regular coaching development clinics. Across the Atlantic, fan interest in baseball is expanding along with the talent. Viewership of MLB games averages 200,000 per game -- double what it was five years ago, according to Jim Small, MLB's Senior VP for International.

This ESPN story continues in the next 3 posts....

Last edited:
Continued from previous post....

"Having heroes like Max Kepler is huge for us. They're the fertilizer that will help us continue to grow the sport," Small said. "We're not where we want to be, but when you consider where we once were in Europe, we're definitely making progress. The challenge is to create 'social permission' in countries where there are other, more ingrained sports like basketball or soccer. Max is doing that the way Yao Ming made basketball more popular in China.

"What we also have over there are some fantastic ambassadors for the sport. There's a man in the Czech Republic named Jan Bagin, whom I first met in 1992, right after the Velvet Revolution. He was literally harassed for bringing an American sport to Prague. Policemen would pull him over, shatter his taillight and then ticket him for having a busted taillight. He took us to a garbage dump and declared, 'This is my "Field of Dreams."' We thought he was crazy. But you know what? There is now a beautiful cloverleaf of baseball diamonds on that land."

The fall of the Iron Curtain also provides a distant backdrop to the story of the Twins' surprising rise in the standings some 30 years later.

It all started when one dancer from the Berlin Ballet stopped to fix the bike of another. As chronicled in a delightful 2016 story by Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Marek came to the rescue of Kathy, and she offered to fix him dinner in gratitude. The daughter of a U.S. Army intelligence officer stationed in Texas, Kathy left home at 15 to dance for the renowned Joffrey Ballet Company in New York, then moved to Berlin at 17. Marek, too, sacrificed for his art, defecting from Poland while on tour in Italy, then finding asylum in West Berlin. They married in 1990, one year before the Wall came down, and Max was born in 1993, two years before his sister, Emma.

It was while on vacation in Texas when he was 3 that Max learned to play baseball. "It was on my parents' front lawn that Opa [Max's grandfather] introduced Max to the game," Kathy says. "Three years later, they gave him a Derek Jeter Yankee uniform, and while he grew out of it pretty quickly, he insisted on wearing the pants as the elastic crept up his legs, going from the popular length to old school. Eventually, I had to sew on extensions."

His parents pretty quickly discovered that Max was an athlete, gifted at skiing, swimming, soccer, golf and tennis (he was invited to attend Steffi Graf's tennis academy when he was 7). Emma, too, had her parents' athletic genes, eventually gravitating toward golf. But the kids were also raised to appreciate the discipline and poise that go into performing before an audience. "I remember waiting in the wings for them," Max says. "It gave me a respect for their art."

"Did Max tell you that?" Kathy says when told that Max remembers waiting off-stage for his parents. "I have to laugh. First of all, by the time he was old enough to remember something like that, I was no longer actively performing, and Marek was doing just character roles. Second of all, the only ballet Max really liked was Romeo and Juliet because there was sword-fighting. He would get so bored during performances that he would pull the seat numbers off the backs of chairs. I found that out when I saw a bunch of them scattered in our car."

His parents enrolled Max in the John F. Kennedy School in Berlin and signed him up for club baseball teams above his age level. But even playing with older players wasn't challenging enough. "I'm afraid I got bored," he says, "and I started acting up. Nothing terrible -- just bratty behavior."

That's when Andy Johnson saw him. Johnson had been an infielder for Hamline University in St. Paul and a part-time groundskeeper at the Metrodome. He went overseas to play ball, married a Norwegian woman he met while playing in Australia and contacted the Twins to see if they might want a European scout, and as it happened, they did. From his home base in Oslo, Norway, he traveled the world for scouting director Mike Radcliff.

Johnson now coaches the Norwegian national team when he isn't working for Schlumberger, an oil exploration company, or raising his two young sons ("Both bat left, throw right") with wife Hege. Thinking back on his days as a Twins scout, he says, "It wasn't a lot of money, but it was a great job. We took pride in being first to the park, and the last ones to leave ... and staying in the cheapest hotels."

One day, while scouting a tournament in Germany, Johnson noticed this tall 14-year-old sprinting to first base. "That was Max. He was playing for a team that wasn't very good, lower caliber than an American high school JV team. But you could see his athleticism right away. I made him what we call a 'follow' and tracked his progression."

On the advice of others and because of their instincts and experience, Kathy and Marek enrolled Max in the St. Emmeran Academy in Regensburg, a medieval city in the Bavarian Alps that happens to be the home of the Kepler Museum, named for astronomer Johannes Kepler. In other words, it was a poetic place to discover a star. "Very impressive place," Johnson says. "Indoor facilities, great fields, dorm along the third-base line."

Two other Twins scouts, Glen Godwin and international cross-checker Howard Norsetter, were also high on Kepler. "I'm a big believer in makeup," Norsetter says, "and the first time I saw him play, I was struck by how much fun he was having out there. The same kind of joy I saw in Cory Koskie and Justin Morneau and David Arias, who became better known as David Ortiz."

But other teams were after Kepler as well. The Reds, Indians, Red Sox and Yankees were among his pursuers. Imagine being 16 years old, playing baseball in Bavaria, and suddenly all these major league teams come a-courting, trying to outbid and undercut one another. Imagine being his parents. "Kathy and Marek understood the journey Max would be embarking on," Johnson says, "because they had left home at an early age to pursue their dreams. They were not going to let him fail without one helluva fight."

Paul Cobbe, an American agent with experience in international business, provided the family with guidance. "Teams were offering a lot of money," Norsetter says, "but it came down to a matter of trust. They trusted Andy, he trusted them, and the Twins trusted our reports."

By then, the family had retained Paul Cobbe as Max's agent. "I had called his agency to get some advice on how to deal with scouts," Kathy says. "Paul flew out to Regensburg from California, and he's been there for us ever since."

Continued from previous post....

On July 11, 2009, Twins scouting director Mike Radcliff signed the untested 16-year-old from Germany as an undrafted free agent for $775,000, the most money ever offered to a player from the continent. Says Johnson, "When I first heard the amount, I remember being shocked for about three seconds, and then I thought, 'I'm comfortable with that number.' It was the work we did early, the history we had on him and the understanding of his background that gave us the confidence to make that investment." That and the money the scouts had saved the team on lodging.

For their part, the Kepler-Rozyckis made their own investment. Kathy moved with Max to Fort Myers, Florida, where he began his apprenticeship at the Twins' baseball complex, while Marek stayed behind in Berlin with Emma. Because Max hadn't finished high school, Kathy first enrolled her A-student in a local private school, but the workload wasn't conducive to his day job, so she transferred him to South Fort Myers High, which was right across the street from the Twins' facilities. "After his schoolwork was done, he would ride over to the complex on his bike," Kathy says. "He was always a little late, so they would tease him. But they were really very nice to him."

It helped that Kathy often cooked meals for the players, a rookie class that included current Twins Jorge Polanco, Miguel Sano and Kyle Gibson. (Nowadays, when Gibson is on the mound and Sano, Polanco and Kepler are all in the lineup, Kathy can claim that her lasagna helped sustain 40% of the team on the field.) She also worked part-time for the Census Bureau on a schedule that allowed her to watch Max's games. "The only people in the stands were scouts and this mystery woman," she says. "Eventually, they warmed up to me." She wanted to make sure Max was happy with his decision -- and help him get his driver's license. After 18 months, she returned home to Berlin, knowing Max could handle himself.

Life is one thing; baseball is another. Without the depth of experience that his teammates had, Kepler struggled the first few years. He hit only one home run in his first two seasons in the Gulf Coast League and the Appalachian League. "I had my doubts early on," he says. "A lot of doubts. But I also had this great support system that kept reminding me to be positive, that told me not to quit." Included in that support system was his roommate and teammate, Polanco, who taught Kepler about the baseball he learned in the Dominican. Max helped Jorge with the English he had learned in Germany.

Slowly but surely, the numbers began to reflect what the scouts saw in Kepler. In 2015, after hitting .322 with 54 extra-base hits in 112 games for Chattanooga, he made his major league debut on Sept. 27, striking out in a pinch-hit appearance. After 30 games in Triple-A Rochester in 2016, he came up to stay, hitting 17 homers before season's end.

Now it's the family waiting in the wings for Max. They watch his games religiously on DAZN, no matter the hour. "You can tell when the Twins are on the West Coast by the shadows under our eyes," says Kathy, who became a physical therapist. Marek, who teaches ballet, is particularly good at waking just in time to catch Max's at-bats. The family also makes trips to the States to follow Max. "New York and Boston are very interesting," Kathy says. "The fans know everything about Max, and they can get a little nasty. At one point, Emma lunged at a guy, and I had to pull her back."

Also following along are Johnson and Norsetter, who is now the Pacific Rim cross-checker for the Phillies. "I feel two kinds of pride," he says. "One is internal: 'Yeah, we got it right.' The other is external, the kind you might feel for your kid: 'Way to go, Max.'"

The Twins finished a distant second to the Indians in the AL Central last year, and the brain trust decided to change managers, firing Paul Molitor and giving Rays coach Rocco Baldelli his first job as a major-league skipper. Kepler returned home to Berlin to be with family and serve as a baseball ambassador for German youth. When he came back to Minneapolis in January for FanFeast, Baldelli presented Max with an idea: make Kepler the leadoff hitter.

"No, he's not the conventional hitter who steals bases," Baldelli says. "But I liked having a left-handed impact hitter at the top of the order, someone who would present a problem for pitchers right from the start. Plus, he hasn't yet reached his full potential. He was only going to get better, and so were we." The Twins also showed faith in Kepler by signing him to a five-year, $35 million contract with an option for a sixth year. As chance and family would have it, Emma will be moving to Minneapolis for the fall semester of the University of Minnesota's acting program. It looks like Kathy and Marek will have two children on stage in October.

Let's return for a moment to that last Sunday in May at Target Field. Max Kepler loves his ballet-dancing parents, but his walkup music is not exactly "The Dance of the Little Swans." It's "Yosemite," a track off rapper Travis Scott's "Astroland" album that starts with these lines:

Ice on my neck, flawless baguettes

Hop off a jet, barely get rest

Cash through the month, I get a check

Yves St. Laurent on my pants and my chest

That's what is playing when Kepler steps to the plate in the bottom of the third. He was feeling under the weather coming off a West Coast swing, so Baldelli decided to give him a rest the previous day. Thus refreshed, Kepler blasts a one-out double off Dylan Covey over the center fielder's head to bring home Byron Buxton with the first run of the game. Three batters later, Eddie Rosario hits a three-run homer to give the Twins a 4-0 lead.

Kepler isn't finished giving back to the fans. In the top of the seventh, he makes a nice play on a sinking line drive with two men on, then fires a laser to the plate to freeze the runner tagging up on third. In the bottom of the inning, with runners on first and second and two outs, he attacks Josh Osich's first pitch and hits a 429-foot bomb into the juniper bushes behind the center-field wall to give the Twins a 7-0 lead. It's his 12th homer of the year, and it gives him homers in three consecutive games. As he trots back out to right in the top of the eighth, he acknowledges the cheers of the fans. Then, after warm-ups, he soft-tosses another ball into the stands.

After the 7-0 victory, Kepler showers and takes some questions from reporters in front of his locker. When someone makes the observation that he had a pretty good game for someone who wasn't feeling well, he says, "Sometimes you see some of the best performers play at their best when they're sick. Michael Jordan, when he was sick in that playoff game, I don't know what it is. maybe just calmer. I don't know."

At that point, LaVelle Neal of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune proposes a headline for the next day: "Kepler Compares Himself To Michael Jordan."

"No, no, no," Kepler says amid the laughter. "No, no. I did not say that."

He doesn't have to be like Mike. But it'll be a beautiful day for baseball when youngsters in Europe decide they want to be like Max.

Reactions: bojihawk44
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT