ADVERTISEMENT

Oh great and mighty HORT, what is the best credit card for travel perks?

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
We are entering a phase of life where we will be traveling more. Parents are getting to the point where they will need more visits per year, we are vacationing more, etc. due to living in DSM and typical destinations, it seems like we use American Airlines the most. Would like free upgrades on seats, checked bags, etc. I can read articles on nerdwallet but I was curious what you all think is best…

I did a fair bit of math between taking points for miles and just a simple 1.5% cash back and other combo cash back options (like Costco that gives you different % for different types of purchases).

I ended up getting a united card (that's the airline we use most) but I only use it for united purchases.

Then I just got a 1.5% cash back card for everything else.

When you add up the spend necessary to get free flights you might as well just take the cash and buy flights...or whatever else you want. Take the miles card and use it for airline purchases for the free bags and priority boarding and global entry rebate. Still worth it despite the annual fee.

That's just what worked best for our spending/travel patterns.

I'm a HORT poor, so I go with best deal available until I get passion into things. I have 2 tickets for final four next year. Sounded like a great idea at the time with discount. Don't really want to go now.

If you are willing to make it a borderline hobby or at least determined to get the best value, then Chase Ultimate Rewards or AMEX Membership Rewards are worth looking into.

Either Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve or AMEX Gold or Platinum.

You can get tremendous value and flexibility by being able to transfer to travel partners based on redemption scenarios.

Based on what you described just sign up for an AA card that has the biggest welcome bonus. Use it for AA stuff and your preferred cash back for everything else.

We are entering a phase of life where we will be traveling more. Parents are getting to the point where they will need more visits per year, we are vacationing more, etc. due to living in DSM and typical destinations, it seems like we use American Airlines the most. Would like free upgrades on seats, checked bags, etc. I can read articles on nerdwallet but I was curious what you all think is best…

I flew American Airlines 2 weeks ago to the Carribean and they were brutal.

They charged me an extra $250 in fees for 1 suitcase, reserving seats and they delayed my luggage an hour on the return trip.

Just FYI.

If you are willing to make it a borderline hobby or at least determined to get the best value, then Chase Ultimate Rewards or AMEX Membership Rewards are worth looking into.

Either Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve or AMEX Gold or Platinum.

You can get tremendous value and flexibility by being able to transfer to travel partners based on redemption scenarios.

Based on what you described just sign up for an AA card that has the biggest welcome bonus. Use it for AA stuff and your preferred cash back for everything else.
We have Amex gold but I feel like the they Jack up the airfare so you don’t come out money ahead. Between your input and @3boysmom mom in another thread, seems like AA is the way to go…

Reactions: 3boysmom
I flew American Airlines 2 weeks ago to the Carribean and they were brutal.

They charged me an extra $250 in fees for 1 suitcase, reserving seats and they delayed my luggage an hour on the return trip.

Just FYI.
I’ve had horrific experiences on AA, and good ones. I feel like all airlines suck anymore, from what I read, so you might as well get the best perks to make it suck less.

We have Amex gold but I feel like the they Jack up the airfare so you don’t come out money ahead. Between your input and @3boysmom mom in another thread, seems like AA is the way to go…

The key to extracting the best value from AMEX is the transfer partners and knowing the high value redemption scenarios.

I used to be into this stuff, but the programs are always changing and I haven't kept up.

But in theory if you wanted to go Japan, you could tramsfer your Amex points to Air Frances's Flying Blue program which has the best points redemption for business class on United flights.

Made up details but that's the theory, all the sudden you're getting thousands of dollars of "value" and tremendous value per point but it takes time and effort to do it and flexibility in your availability.

I got a lot of value and cool experiences when I was into the points thing.

But the upgrade perks with an airline that you're describing, I'm pretty sure those are mostly just earned the hard way by actually flying the miles and segments.

A credit card will get you the baggage fees.

Reactions: Tenacious E
The Amex Centurion is probably the best
Get upgraded to elite status with hotels, cars and you get a personal concierge
IMO it is worth the annual fee

I didn’t do a ton of research, but we’ve been happy with the Capital One Venture card.
Builds up extra points on airfare and hotels. 2x miles on everything else.
You have to book through their travel portal, but their prices did beat Kayak and hotels.com when I compared them while booking our summer vacation.
Low maintenance card with a small annual fee and quality travel perks (TSA pre check covered, airport lounge access, Hertz 5 star status, etc).

The key to extracting the best value from AMEX is the transfer partners and knowing the high value redemption scenarios.

I used to be into this stuff, but the programs are always changing and I haven't kept up.

But in theory if you wanted to go Japan, you could tramsfer your Amex points to Air Frances's Flying Blue program which has the best points redemption for business class on United flights.

Made up details but that's the theory, all the sudden you're getting thousands of dollars of "value" and tremendous value per point but it takes time and effort to do it and flexibility in your availability.

But the upgrade perks with an airline that you're describing, I'm pretty sure those are mostly just earned the hard way by actually flying the miles and segments.

We are going to Italy next year so if you have any wisdom in cards or maximizing my current Amex points that would be super.

We are going to Italy next year so if you have any wisdom in cards or maximizing my current Amex points that would be super.

You might want one with no foreign transaction fees if you're going abroad. I took a Capitol One and a Sofi Credit card as a backup with me just for that. And for ATMs, the recommended debit card on the travel sites is a Charles Schwab card because they reimburse you ATM fees. I opened up a checking account there to get that. I'll keep the account since all of my TD Ameritrade accounts are moving there soon.

I am team Amex and Chase. I have an Amex trifecta of the Platinum, Gold and Green. I have the Chase trifecta of the Sapphire Reserve, Freedom Flex and Freedom Unlimited. For domestic economy travel Chase is easier to use with better transfer partners such as United, Southwest for airlines and Hyatt and Marriott for hotels. The benefit of the Sapphire Reserve is when you book flights in the Chase portal you get a 1.5x boost on your points. Combine that with the points earned on that card you can combine points from the Flex that gets a rotating 5x category per quarter and the Unlimited for 1.5x for non boosted purchases. The Reserve does have a hefty annual fee of $550, but it comes with a $300 yearly travel credit, Priority Pass Lounge access and Chase has started to build there own lounges to compete with the Amex Centurion lounges. The Sapphire Reserve and Preferred also offer primary rental car insurance which Amex doesn't.

Amex is learning how to transfer out to partners. You need to be flexible with dates and do some legwork. IF you fly international business and first class that is the sweet spot for outsized value. Domestic travel is meh. The Platinum gets access to the Centurion lounges along with Delta Sky Club when on Delta flights. If you travel through airports frequently these are a nice perk. To offset the annual fee of $695 for the Platinum you get many credits including monthly Uber, airline incidental credits, Fine Hotels credit, Digital credit such as Disney +, Walmart + membership and others. The Platinum is not a good points earner by itself besides flights. It is about the benefits if you use them. Paired with the Gold you can earn points fast. If you have a Schwab brokerage account I would get the Schwab Amex Platinum. Depending on your funds you can get a credit for the annual fee. You can also cash out your points to your Schwab account a 1.1 cents per point.

If you are strictly American Airlines I would look at their cards as they don't have transfer agreements with the big three which is Chase, Amex or Capital One. If you will be flying a lot and be in airports with an Admirals Lounge look at the Executive World Elite. Annual fee is high but you can get you player two an authorized user card for no extra money and get lounge access, TSA Pre Check credit, priority check in and boarding, first bag free for up to 8 companions and more. For a day to day card it only earns 1x. This will be your card for AA purchases and booking travel and hotels through the portal.

My wife is active duty USAF so no annual fees for us and all of the perks. When her career is done we most likely will stay with Chase for the ease of use and transferring points and dump Amex.

• Love
I am team Amex and Chase. I have an Amex trifecta of the Platinum, Gold and Green. I have the Chase trifecta of the Sapphire Reserve, Freedom Flex and Freedom Unlimited. For domestic economy travel Chase is easier to use with better transfer partners such as United, Southwest for airlines and Hyatt and Marriott for hotels. The benefit of the Sapphire Reserve is when you book flights in the Chase portal you get a 1.5x boost on your points. Combine that with the points earned on that card you can combine points from the Flex that gets a rotating 5x category per quarter and the Unlimited for 1.5x for non boosted purchases. The Reserve does have a hefty annual fee of $550, but it comes with a $300 yearly travel credit, Priority Pass Lounge access and Chase has started to build there own lounges to compete with the Amex Centurion lounges. The Sapphire Reserve and Preferred also offer primary rental car insurance which Amex doesn't.

Amex is learning how to transfer out to partners. You need to be flexible with dates and do some legwork. IF you fly international business and first class that is the sweet spot for outsized value. Domestic travel is meh. The Platinum gets access to the Centurion lounges along with Delta Sky Club when on Delta flights. If you travel through airports frequently these are a nice perk. To offset the annual fee of $695 for the Platinum you get many credits including monthly Uber, airline incidental credits, Fine Hotels credit, Digital credit such as Disney +, Walmart + membership and others. The Platinum is not a good points earner by itself besides flights. It is about the benefits if you use them. Paired with the Gold you can earn points fast. If you have a Schwab brokerage account I would get the Schwab Amex Platinum. Depending on your funds you can get a credit for the annual fee. You can also cash out your points to your Schwab account a 1.1 cents per point.

If you are strictly American Airlines I would look at their cards as they don't have transfer agreements with the big three which is Chase, Amex or Capital One. If you will be flying a lot and be in airports with an Admirals Lounge look at the Executive World Elite. Annual fee is high but you can get you player two an authorized user card for no extra money and get lounge access, TSA Pre Check credit, priority check in and boarding, first bag free for up to 8 companions and more. For a day to day card it only earns 1x. This will be your card for AA purchases and booking travel and hotels through the portal.

My wife is active duty USAF so no annual fees for us and all of the perks. When her career is done we most likely will stay with Chase for the ease of use and transferring points and dump Amex.
great stuff - thank you!

You might want one with no foreign transaction fees if you're going abroad. I took a Capitol One and a Sofi Credit card as a backup with me just for that. And for ATMs, the recommended debit card on the travel sites is a Charles Schwab card because they reimburse you ATM fees. I opened up a checking account there to get that. I'll keep the account since all of my TD Ameritrade accounts are moving there soon.
Good stuff. 2 days and counting on the swap over. We are planning on a trip to the UK in 2 years, and have been looking for a travel card and Cap One seems like a good one. We are looking at using paper money on our trip because we plan on being in small towns in Wales and Scotland, and we've been warned a lot of small vendors, pubs, etc... don't take cards.

Reactions: Funky Bunch
I know there are better ones out there but I use the Marriott Bonvoy card. Pre-Covid I travelled 50-60 nights a year and stayed in Marriott's. I also have our family cell phone and storage unit auto charged to it.
We took the kids to Maui for Spring Break for a week in 2021 for free basically and next week taking the wife to Aruba for 10 days to celebrate our 20th. It works for us.
I'm Platinum now which gives me extra perks and I get a couple free nights a year and 5 suite nights to get upgraded to a suite. Which is cool.

AA gives you loyalty points for both flying and using one of their cards. Then they give you status based on the number of loyalty points you have. I fly probably 4-5 times per year but have platinum pro status with AA because of my credit card. I pay it off each month and pay $99 annual fee. Seldom pay airfare, get free bags, upgraded seats, group 2 boarding, and sometimes access to Admirals Club. I’ve also been upgraded to first class a few times. Because of my job I really don’t need hotel discounts so this is perfect for me.

AA gives you loyalty points for both flying and using one of their cards. Then they give you status based on the number of loyalty points you have. I fly probably 4-5 times per year but have platinum pro status with AA because of my credit card. I pay it off each month and pay $99 annual fee. Seldom pay airfare, get free bags, upgraded seats, group 2 boarding, and sometimes access to Admirals Club. I’ve also been upgraded to first class a few times. Because of my job I really don’t need hotel discounts so this is perfect for me.
Sorry if you have already stated this but which card is it? through Citi?

Far from a regular traveler here, but for everyday people like me I'd vote for the chase sapphire preferred. The extra cash value for spending your points through their travel portal is a pretty big thing. And you can earn points on other cards (such as the Chase Freedom which is a no annual fee card) and transfer them into your Sapphire account for free to get the 20 percent travel bonus. Helpful when you hit one of the quarterly bonus categories on that one and then transfer over the points. Just learned last month the Sapphire now has a $50 annual hotel credit. That's regardless of booking through their travel portal, it's a direct rebate on your bill just for charging it to your card regardless of where you booked through. That's half the $95 fee right there if you stay at a hotel at least once a year.

For us it’s the Delta Reserve card. Living in Atlanta our flight options are over 80% Delta. Free Sky Club access and with our spending and travel we’re basically guaranteed to be Platinum which gives us automatic upgrade to Delta Comfort when booking. You also get one free companion ticket with the card and we use it for longer flights and usually first class so that basically pays the card annual fee. And, being Platinum gets us 4 free upgrade certs.

I'm going to need to do some side-by-side analysis of those cards/perks/annual fees/etc. I think we will be traveling enough in the next few years to warrant the Platinum...
Checkout websites like The Points Guy, if it’s not already been posted.

We have Capital One Venture & the Capital One Spark for business. The points transfer between the cards which is why we love it. You can use the points to wipe off anything that shows up as travel expenses on your credit card. It is nice not have to use points to book travel. Gives you flexibility to book whatever flight/hotel you want and however you want, then just wipe it off after you book. A 2% cash back card would be similar, but we like the dedicated unlimited travel budget that accrues.

So, after a lot of research, the best fit was the AA Citi executive world elite. Steep annual fee but for us it had the best combination of travel perks, miles earned on purchases, and our typical destinations for flights and lounges. Thanks for everyone’s input!

Do any of you have the American Express Platinum card?

I do. I rarely fly Delta so that isn’t a huge concern for me. Plus I don’t take a lot of flights and I usually connect in Dallas or Charlotte and they have Centurion lounges.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT