ADVERTISEMENT

Oh no Righties! Inflation coming down

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Uh...that's great in June. Not so much in January.

• Haha
Reactions: Ehhhdolph
The “solution” was offered before it was “Trump’s fault too!” before it was “greedflation”, before it was “transitory”, all the way back to when it was “there is no inflation, let’s pass these massive spending bills and keep the money printers rolling”.

The solution was to quit spending and printing money. Now you’re asking them to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

No, just gonna watch the interest rates straighten it out, which it appears to be doing. There is no doubt some of the stimulus was excessive, but there was a lot of uncertainty and people on both sides supported it for the most part. In terms of inflation rate historically its up a bit but its coming down.

BLS

• Haha
No, just gonna watch the interest rates straighten it out, which it appears to be doing. There is no doubt some of the stimulus was excessive, but there was a lot of uncertainty and people on both sides supported it for the most part. In terms of inflation rate historically its up a bit but its coming down.

BLS
I agree, interest rates are the best tool to combat the situation Biden put us in and after the damage was done. The inflation rates we’ve seen are the highest in 40 years. And prices are still going up. And I strongly disagree most people thought continuing to print money was the right move. Economists on both sides (MSNBC is pretty moderate) were mostly baffled by the excessive stimulus.

Touting the decrease in inflation is like an alcoholic claiming he’s making improvements because this week he only drinks 20 drinks a day, whereas last week he drank 18 drinks a day and the week before he drank 15 drinks a day. His weekly increase has slowed by a drink, but he’s still getting worse. Just like the increase in prices has slowed, but shits still getting more expensive.

Last edited:
Yep...and when it keeps going down...what will be your excuse then.

What is the Republican plan for inflation anyway? They cry a lot about it.
Dude nothing is cheaper food clothing everything we buy continues to go up. Including Gas. We just need Trump policies back. Doesn't have to be Trump but he made things very good overall.

LOL. Poors complaining about the cost of Jimmy-Johns!

One beer at lunch, with a tip, is usually a $20 bill for me alone.

BFD. I dont look at the prices at the gas pump or in the grocery store, either. It just doesn't matter that much to my financial health.

• Haha
Dude nothing is cheaper food clothing everything we buy continues to go up. Including Gas. We just need Trump policies back. Doesn't have to be Trump but he made things very good overall.

Thats nonsense. He didnt do anything. He is also started the stimulus. Also, Obama exceeded his economic performance.

GDP is a poor measure anyway

There is inflation all the time. It didnt start in 2021. It picked up some and now the rate of inflation is slowing down,

The classic choice is Inflation vs Unemployment. We have a very tight labor market and shortages in a lot of areas putting big pressure on wages. What is the Republican solution for that considering they dont want a whole lot immigration. They are keeping cheap labor from filling the bottom end.

• Haha
Great analysis here..

Year-over-year CPI came down to +5% when +5.2% was expected, and the month-over-month was +0.1%, also less than the +0.3% that was expected. The shelter component of CPI was +8% (owner’s equivalent rent) and +8.8% “rent of primary residence.” Take that fantasy out or, better yet, adjust for real numbers, and you are between 2% and 2.8% annualized inflation. Note the headline YOY rate was +6% last month … the roll-off of the base effect is accelerating and highly disinflationary. Core goods annual price inflation now? +1.5%

For those of us who knew the primary driver of 2021-22 inflation was supply-side dynamics, the challenges to the “supply of goods and services” was most often related to elements of the supply chain (and for good reason). I have documented in these pages the issues with freight, cargo, and shipping, not to mention the fundamental underlying problems with semiconductors and related component parts. But one of the reasons I have never believed my theory of the case was absolving Joe Biden of his role in the 2021-22 inflation despite the fact that I didn’t believe insane excess government spending only became inflationary when a President I didn’t like was there (see: 2003-2019) is because I do believe Joe Biden bears responsibility for the labor shortages of 2021 and 2022, and I do believe the labor shortages were a significant factor in supply-side challenges that put upward pressure on prices. In other words, my theory is still within the “right-wing politically correct” view to some degree, yet with nuance, and, well, nuance is unacceptable in this era.

The labor shortages I speak to that I think were policy-enhanced were largely driven by ridiculous transfer payments that began in the lame-duck session post-2020 election and then became a huge and grotesque part of the 2021 bill the Biden administration passed.

Public transportation, brah. :cool:

I always love the idea of public transportation. Hell it worked great for me back when a monthly bus pass (like 30 bucks) was a huge expense.

One day i decided not to be poor anymore...eventually got rich enough to afford an $1,800 car.

My public transportation commute to work was 3 and a half hours. Had to make 3 connections. My new drive from the same place to the same place was 15 minutes. Amazing what happens when you can hit the freeway and just go, instead of main busy side streets with a bus stop every block.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT