ADVERTISEMENT

Oh, the irony

Let You Know Black Boy GIF by Neesin

Still not convinced firing Brian will fix our offensive woes, but it’s at least a step

Edit: ENTIRELY fix. I am a little optimistic though
I don't know MilleGinja. One thing I'm certain of is that Brian did EXACTLY what Kirk wanted done on offense.. no more, no less. Unless our new OC comes in and tells Kirk HANDS 100% OFF (which Kirk would never allow), I'm just not certain how much different we will really be. Hoping for the best but...... it's also why I don't think any revolutionary OC will consider (or be considered) for the position. My 2¢ FWIW

I don't know MilleGinja. One thing I'm certain of is that Brian did EXACTLY what Kirk wanted done on offense.. no more, no less. Unless our new OC comes in and tells Kirk HANDS 100% OFF (which Kirk would never allow), I'm just not certain how much different we will really be. Hoping for the best but...... it's also why I don't think any revolutionary OC will consider (or be considered) for the position. My 2¢ FWIW
You are spot on. This failure to give backup qbs a chance and running this outdated scheme was long before Brian.
Kirk played McCann over Banks in 2001. Lol

Very true.

On the offense performance you can look at recruiting, player development and scheme/play calling and much of that lays with the OC. Oversight is on the shoulders of the HC. The defense is solid throughout because we have the right guy leading the defense (PP) and they DO the recruiting of their type of players and they have the scheme/play calling. He is SO good, it really requires basically no oversight...or very little...which should give the HC more time to focus on offense.

Not saying that all the offensive players are not developed or were not good recruits. O-line has been a weakness for a few years.(Is it a weakness in coaching the O-line, recruiting or talent or a combination of some of all 3? I am not close enough to understand the biggest underlying issues but they are there certainly) We have talent at RB, TE and hopefully starting to develop this at WR.

Offense needs to be fixed and we hopefully have PP for another 5-10 years. The right OC ALLOWED could create quite a run for Iowa for awhile. So it is all on KF's lap right now. Hope he makes some good moves.

Regarding the offense since thread has turned in that direction:
Honestly i’m not sure it’s the scheme though a lot of posters say it’s that. a better qb, better OL, better receivers and the same offense scheme looks closer to woodshed game than 2023 games. the new oc needs to be a better recruiter who can hire assistants who can develop and coach their positions better than the present versions— i think that’s what the new oc needs to bring to the table more than anything else. wrong?

Honestly i’m not sure it’s the scheme though a lot of posters say it’s that. a better qb, better OL, better receivers and the same offense scheme looks closer to woodshed game than 2023 games. the new oc needs to be a better recruiter who can hire assistants who can develop and coach their positions better than the present versions— i think that’s what the new oc needs to bring to the table more than anything else. wrong?
I don't think anyone would disagree with this, but is Kirk willing to hire that type of person and afford them the necessary latitude?

You are spot on. This failure to give backup qbs a chance and running this outdated scheme was long before Brian.

LOL….that equation has been addressed on this board 1000 plus times and because it doesn’t fit the board militias manifesto it is ignored.

Reactions: Sett1997
Very true.

On the offense performance you can look at recruiting, player development and scheme/play calling and much of that lays with the OC. Oversight is on the shoulders of the HC. The defense is solid throughout because we have the right guy leading the defense (PP) and they DO the recruiting of their type of players and they have the scheme/play calling. He is SO good, it really requires basically no oversight...or very little...which should give the HC more time to focus on offense.

Not saying that all the offensive players are not developed or were not good recruits. O-line has been a weakness for a few years.(Is it a weakness in coaching the O-line, recruiting or talent or a combination of some of all 3? I am not close enough to understand the biggest underlying issues but they are there certainly) We have talent at RB, TE and hopefully starting to develop this at WR.

Offense needs to be fixed and we hopefully have PP for another 5-10 years. The right OC ALLOWED could create quite a run for Iowa for awhile. So it is all on KF's lap right now. Hope he makes some good moves.

And hell maybe we will start winning 9-10 games a year, wait….🤔

It’s the last 2, 3 that are so tough

Reactions: jo12208
LOL….that equation has been addressed on this board 1000 plus times and because it doesn’t fit the board militias manifesto it is ignored.
You know, you see. Kirk is calling all the shots on O. The scheme, the personnel, he's the problem.
He is so incompetent as an offensive mind it's laughable.
The numbers don't lie. He wasn't as demented 20 years ago as he is now.
He's had too much power for too long.
Who in the heck would leave Deacon Hill in a game without even giving a backup one snap? Lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Still not convinced firing Brian will fix our offensive woes, but it’s at least a step

Edit: ENTIRELY fix. I am a little optimistic though
I doubt it, but it's one step further down to road to showing Kirk the door. Has to happen. Been a nice run, but time for a change. As long as Kirk oversees the offense we'll be a joke.

• Haha
I bet he would want the same type. In many ways, it really helps him out
Lol, yeah I'm sure he loves when his defense hands the offense short fields time after time after time and the offense gets zero points out of it.

You know, you see. Kirk is calling all the shots on O. The scheme, the personnel, he's the problem.
Who in the heck would leave Deacon Hill in a game without even giving a backup one snap? Lol

How many coaches out there would win as many games at Iowa over the last 10 years as KF? 10, 15, 20.?

More importantly, who would be your favorite team in college football if you weren’t an Iowa?

KF has his own game plan, but I don't believe he intended for Brian to fail. Brian's biggest problem was the lack of an OL to protect the QB and to open big holes for the RB's. The offensive production has been horrible because of player development. Until the OL is able to do their job and until we have some WR's who can separate from their defenders, the offense isn't going to improve. Brian failed because he couldn't improve the offense, not because KF wanted to run the offense.

I’m curious what you think is outdated about it? Execution and outdated are two completely different things. Then tell me what’s updated?

• Haha
Reactions: 83Hawk
KF has his own game plan, but I don't believe he intended for Brian to fail. Brian's biggest problem was the lack of an OL to protect the QB and to open big holes for the RB's. The offensive production has been horrible because of player development. Until the OL is able to do their job and until we have some WR's who can separate from their defenders, the offense isn't going to improve. Brian failed because he couldn't improve the offense, not because KF wanted to run the offense.
Exactly

• Haha
You’re a fool, winningest coach in the history of the program and top 3 all time in the BIG…. But he’s the problem. You really have no fking clue about anything other then your big truck and little unit.

• Haha
Spot on

• Haha
Please elaborate how losing time of possession, record breaking 3 and outs, and not scoring helps the D. I can’t wait for this shit.
Not defending the offense (I want a change too)but its simple

Low turnovers. Big punts give the opposing offense long fields

A slow tempo on offense = shorten game. It takes a while for offenses to adjust (fewer possessions=fewer adjustments)

opponents feel like 10 point lead is equivalent to 25 so you shorten the game with a slow pace and less "shot" plays

Think Pac12-Big 12 its not that defenses suck, poor d-coordinators, or bad players. Its fast offenses increase the # of plays therefore increase the chances of scoring.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT