ADVERTISEMENT

Oliver Martin Updates: Dec 27: Will not play (Shoulder injury). Is 5th on Depth Chart.

And to the NCAA, no offense, but

giphy.gif

MARTIN APPROVED FOR IMMEDIATE ELIGIBILITY

IOWA CITY, Iowa - - University of Iowa sophomore wide receiver Oliver Martin has been approved for immediate eligibility by the NCAA and the Big Ten Conference. Martin, a native of Coralville, Iowa and a graduate of Iowa City West High School, transferred to the Hawkeye football program this summer.

Following are comments from Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz and Martin:

Coach Kirk Ferentz:

“We are pleased that the NCAA and Big Ten Conference have approved Oliver’s waiver to play this season. Oliver is a tremendous young man who has been working hard since the day he set foot on our campus this summer. His teammates are excited to have him on the practice field and in the weight room, and we look forward to Oliver being able to contribute to our team.”

Oliver Martin:

“I am ecstatic that the NCAA and the Big Ten Conference have approved our waiver request. I want to thank my coaches and my teammates for their help as I work to get ready. I have been dreaming of running out of the tunnel wearing the black and gold ever since I decided to join the program. I can’t wait to contribute to this team on the field.”

Iowa opens the 2019 season Saturday, Aug. 31, hosting Miami, Ohio (6:40 p.m. CT, FS1).

Questions concerning the purchase of 2019 football tickets, including general public, UI faculty/staff and UI student season tickets, should be directed to the UI Athletics Ticket Office. The office is open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The office telephone number is 1-800-IA-HAWKS. Information is also available at hawkeyesports.com/FootballGameday.

Reading the tea leaves, various Twitter feeds and texts along with Kirk's reaction yesterday you knew it was trending positive. Kirk usually quickly brushes that stuff aside if he doesn't know or doesn't want to say thus yesterday told me it was looking good, another good omen for this year!
lots of possible WR formations; and imagine if the TEs are still able to produce?

has the WR room ever looked this good under KF?

there are no excuses for the Iowa offense this year. they have to pull their weight.

And remember, this comes from post #667:

The Hawkeyes are [were] preparing as if he'll be eligible. From Iowa fans to those directly invested in the program, everyone is [was] anxiously awaiting a ruling.

"If [when] we get the green light, he'll be in there (Week 1)," Ferentz said.

Is it necessary to use the huge red font? It is quite annoying to look at.

Reactions: MeetTheFerentz
MARTIN APPROVED FOR IMMEDIATE ELIGIBILITY

IOWA CITY, Iowa - - University of Iowa sophomore wide receiver Oliver Martin has been approved for immediate eligibility by the NCAA and the Big Ten Conference. Martin, a native of Coralville, Iowa and a graduate of Iowa City West High School, transferred to the Hawkeye football program this summer.

Following are comments from Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz and Martin:

Coach Kirk Ferentz:

“We are pleased that the NCAA and Big Ten Conference have approved Oliver’s waiver to play this season. Oliver is a tremendous young man who has been working hard since the day he set foot on our campus this summer. His teammates are excited to have him on the practice field and in the weight room, and we look forward to Oliver being able to contribute to our team.”

Oliver Martin:

“I am ecstatic that the NCAA and the Big Ten Conference have approved our waiver request. I want to thank my coaches and my teammates for their help as I work to get ready. I have been dreaming of running out of the tunnel wearing the black and gold ever since I decided to join the program. I can’t wait to contribute to this team on the field.”

Iowa opens the 2019 season Saturday, Aug. 31, hosting Miami, Ohio (6:40 p.m. CT, FS1).

Questions concerning the purchase of 2019 football tickets, including general public, UI faculty/staff and UI student season tickets, should be directed to the UI Athletics Ticket Office. The office is open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The office telephone number is 1-800-IA-HAWKS. Information is also available at hawkeyesports.com/FootballGameday.
thanks, Blair.

in your opinion, is this the best group of Iowa WRs under the Kirk Ferentz era?

Reactions: Wadzinator
lots of possible WR formations; and imagine if the TEs are still able to produce?

has the WR room ever looked this good under KF?

there are no excuses for the Iowa offense this year. they have to pull their weight.

To answer your questions:

1) It will be interesting to see what Iowa does on offense. Iowa will get some production out of TE. It won't be anything like it was last year.
2) WR room - I would argue DJK, McNutt, Keenan Davis with Stross/Sandeman was better (at least in what they did on the field). We have heard a lot about the current WR group at Iowa, but they need to actually do something.
3) Agree.

To answer your questions:

1) It will be interesting to see what Iowa does on offense. Iowa will get some production out of TE. It won't be anything like it was last year.
2) WR room - I would argue DJK, McNutt, Keenan Davis with Stross/Sandeman was better (at least in what they did on the field). We have heard a lot about the current WR group at Iowa, but they need to actually do something.
3) Agree.
thanks for your perspective. dang, 2009 was a good year; 2010 could have been even better....

imagine the buzz when #5 trots on to the field....

:)

Sorry if I missed it somewhere above, but any true/real insights on why Martin transferred? Was it just because his Michigan position coach left? I would think there has to be more to it because, to be fair, either way (if he stays at Michigan or goes to Iowa) he is getting a new position coach.

Iowa reporters asked Oliver these questions and he respectfully declined to comment.

So there has only been speculation on the reasons.

Thanks.

I assume some combination of homesickness and desire to play more. Kids should be free to transfer without restriction. They are teenagers for the most part and they change their mind about things all the time.

I honestly think Brian Ferentz needs to have a good year, too. Otherwise his head coaching stock is gonna take a dive.

Not disagreeing with this per se, but is it really necessary for BF to have any kind of "stock" when he is already in line for a big-time HC job, barring some unforeseen Armageddon-type event? I suppose coaching some very successful offenses would score him more points with the fan base, but doubt it affects his future much.

Reactions: David1979
Not disagreeing with this per se, but is it really necessary for BF to have any kind of "stock" when he is already in line for a big-time HC job, barring some unforeseen Armageddon-type event? I suppose coaching some very successful offenses would score him more points with the fan base, but doubt it affects his future much.
I just think he needs to have a whole offense come together for an entire season. He's also the TE coach and he is working/coordinating with the QB coach, the OL coach, the RB coach & the WR coach in trying to make the Iowa offense productive.

If he can make a whole offense run, he should be able to make an entire program run, imo.

;)

Isn't Martin More of a Slot Reciever?

He can play either, but yes.

He can play both. Wouldnt be surprised to see him deep on punt return at some point either.

From what I have heard, they have been lining him up in practice in more than one WR spot. I believe Oliver said in interviews that he's learning all of the WR positions.

Smart kid.

Gonna be fun to see how many snaps he takes, where he lines up, etc, on Saturday.

;)

Lawyers can be very beneficial in certain circumstances.

But man they can eat your lunch without you realizing they are doing it. At least the good ones can.

Luckily the Martin family could afford one.

What about the families who cannot afford an attorney?

The entire transfer process needs an overhaul. Regular transfers & grad transfers.

Kids should not need to hire attorneys in order to switch schools and play immediately.

Reactions: naturalmwa and LUC8
While I am really happy that Oliver Martin's request for immediate eligibility was granted, I fear that - during this waiting process - Iowa fans have built up incredibly unrealistic expectations for him. If he isn't an immediate "game changing" player, I fear that Iowa fans will consider him to be a failure.

don't worry, Aurora. Iowa fans are reasonable. :)

Leistikow: Now that he's eligible, what should the Hawkeyes expect from Oliver Martin?

Chad Leistikow, Hawk Central
Published 2:17 p.m. CT Aug. 28, 2019 |
Updated 2:24 p.m. CT Aug. 28, 2019

In the initial stages after Oliver Martin’s transfer from Michigan to Iowa in early June, I put his chances at obtaining immediate eligibility at 30%. And, admittedly, that felt optimistic.

Even Martin was braced for the fact that he might lose an entire year of eligibility, and he was willing to pay that price to be a Hawkeye.

But on Wednesday morning, the perceived long shot officially came through. The NCAA-Big Ten approval parlay hit. The golden ticket cashed. Martin is free to play for the Hawkeyes, starting Saturday against Miami of Ohio.

There doesn’t seem to be a rhyme or reason to what the NCAA approves and doesn’t, but hey — Kirk Ferentz finally got one to go his way.

If you’re in the Hawkeyes’ camp, this is news worth celebrating. A blue-chip recruit that got away has not only come home, he’s got three years of eligibility remaining.

Martin could very well be suiting up for the Hawkeyes for three years of gamedays to come — in 2019, 2020 and 2021.

In other words, this summer's biggest Iowa football story is only beginning.

Let’s start there.

What should we expect from Martin as a now-eligible redshirt sophomore?

Before we get to playing time, let’s first start with his development. The guy who Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh said was at the top of the seventh-ranked Wolverines’ depth chart coming out of the spring would have been relegated to Iowa’s scout team had his waiver been denied.

And that approach would have made sense. The Hawkeyes would have been foolish to spend precious game-week time putting Martin into the rotation with the 1s and 2s if he was ineligible to play.

But now, thanks to the approval, Martin will be taking crucial reps for the next 14 weeks plus any bowl preparations. That will be huge for his acclimation to all three receiver positions in Brian Ferentz’s offense.

For a sharp guy with Martin’s physical skill set, there's reason to believe the growth could happen very quickly.

During the Kids Day at Kinnick scrimmage on Aug. 10, he sure looked good. A dynamic back-shoulder, 22-yard catch in traffic was one of those "wow" plays you don't often see from an Iowa receiver. The kid can play some football, as we've known from his record-breaking days at Iowa City West.

He'll make an impact at Iowa. The question, given his situation's uncertainty and his recent injury, is how soon?

Let's peek ahead, shall we?

Here are the first five weeks of Iowa’s schedule:

* Miami (OH),
* Rutgers,
* Iowa State,
* bye week,
* Middle Tennessee State.

Those 30-some days will give Martin a lot of time to refine his craft and understanding of the playbook; he lost some practice time recently with an injury. The more time on the practice field and game field with Nate Stanley, the better during that first month.

And you do know how his second month on the field begins, right?

On October 5?

Iowa at Michigan.

Hawkeyes columnist Chad Leistikow has covered sports for 24 years with The Des Moines Register, USA TODAY and Iowa City Press-Citizen. Follow @ChadLeistikow on Twitter.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/columnists/chad-leistikow/2019/08/28/leistikow-early-expectations-ncaa-ruling-eligible-oliver-martin-hawkeyes-football-kirk-ferentz/2139782001/

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT