ADVERTISEMENT

Oliver Martin Updates: Dec 27: Will not play (Shoulder injury). Is 5th on Depth Chart.

I just think he needs to have a whole offense come together for an entire season. He's also the TE coach and he is working/coordinating with the QB coach, the OL coach, the RB coach & the WR coach in trying to make the Iowa offense productive.

If he can make a whole offense run, he should be able to make an entire program run, imo.

;)

It's all in how you define "coming all together." Iowa is never going to rank really highly in terms of raw yardage stats. They don't run a high volume of plays, and part of what Iowa is doing on offense is to balance/complement the defense. Some of the advanced metrics (https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/2018) like the Iowa offense a lot better than the raw rankings of yards per game did. The link above had Iowa 54th in offensive efficiency and 18th in defensive efficiency last year.

What I do like about the BF offense in the two years he's run things:
Willingness to throw the ball and scheme specific plays/matchups in the red zone. The reason Stanley is in position to break Long's record is the number of short TD passes he has. He had a decent number of longer throws too, but when Iowa gets in the red zone or goal to go, they like to throw. That's good.
The passing game concepts do build off each other. One play is used to set up another one. Formations and personnel are used to get guys in advantageous positions.
Protecting the passer. It helps when you have great talent at tackle, but from Year 1 to Year 2 Iowa figured out pass protection.

What I don't like
Insistence on running the ball on first down. I get that "establishing the run" allows play action to be more effective, but too many instances that based on formation and down where the defense was just going to send extra people in the backfield, with the hope that putting Iowa in 2nd and 11 or worse was gong to derail the drive. Throw the ball on first down, and continue to do so, until the opponent stops putting 9 men within 5 yards of the LOS.
The run game in general. I don't know if it's too many cooks in the kitchen, or just backs that aren't very good but the running game has not been good his two years as OC. I think KF, BF, and Polasek are all very good coaches, and there is talent on the line. So get it figured in terms of formations and tendencies to give the team a chance to succeed on running plays.
Related to the run game, 3rd and short hasn't been great. Again, don't know if it's a back, personnel or scheme issue, but Iowa hasn't been good on 3rd and 2 or less.

So to answer the question of how good is good enough for the offense? Be efficient in what they are doing, simple as that sounds.

More than 750 comments in this thread

Franisaman leads with 320 posts*.

*Unofficial; subject to recount; sure to be 400+ by this time tomorrow.
Hey, anonymous loser!

Can you please do the official count?

Thanks, because we all care a lot about that break down!

Reactions: mrF6n6
Great news on Oliver, the WRs look very good.

Don't write off the TEs, Wieting will probably be an NFL player. Beyer and Cook will see plenty of action. Kirk and Brian like using the position in the offense, and we have some pretty good ones.

Not last year's duo for sure, and the WRs sure look promising.

Don't write off the TEs, Wieting will probably be an NFL player. Beyer and Cook will see plenty of action. Kirk and Brian like using the position in the offense, and we have some pretty good ones.

This. And I don't think anyone on this board should write off a TE named Cook who is from West Branch.

This. And I don't think anyone on this board should write off a TE named Cook who is from West Branch.

This offense does look promising.

My lord, imagine if we get the run game going, too.

Like the good ol' days. :)

What I don't like
Insistence on running the ball on first down. I get that "establishing the run" allows play action to be more effective, but too many instances that based on formation and down where the defense was just going to send extra people in the backfield, with the hope that putting Iowa in 2nd and 11 or worse was gong to derail the drive. Throw the ball on first down, and continue to do so, until the opponent stops putting 9 men within 5 yards of the LOS.
The run game in general. I don't know if it's too many cooks in the kitchen, or just backs that aren't very good but the running game has not been good his two years as OC. I think KF, BF, and Polasek are all very good coaches, and there is talent on the line. So get it figured in terms of formations and tendencies to give the team a chance to succeed on running plays.
Related to the run game, 3rd and short hasn't been great. Again, don't know if it's a back, personnel or scheme issue, but Iowa hasn't been good on 3rd and 2 or less.

Two years in a row of having around 1900 to 2000 yards rushing (per year). That's not a great number, but it's not as bad as a lot of the numbers put up during the O'Keefe era.

I genuinely wonder if there is some schematic limitations on the running game ... although I doubt it. Or does it have more to do with the overall talent of the room. During the O'Keefe years ... we'd have a ton of years of sub 2000 yards rushing ... and yet we were still identified as a rushing team. Weird stuff. Why would our totals be so poor some years ... and yet in others, the O'Keefe O still put up rushing seasons like the ones we saw in '02 and '08.

I know a lot of fans like to rip on Greg Davis ... but after we experienced the pain of the '12 season ... usually the running game was good for 2200 yards or more per year. The peak during that era was obviously the '15 season ... and that was all the more strange given that we had all new OTs that season and our running back room was consistently battling injuries.

Leistikow: Now that he's eligible, what should the Hawkeyes expect from Oliver Martin?

Chad Leistikow, Hawk Central
Published 2:17 p.m. CT Aug. 28, 2019 |
Updated 2:24 p.m. CT Aug. 28, 2019

In the initial stages after Oliver Martin’s transfer from Michigan to Iowa in early June, I put his chances at obtaining immediate eligibility at 30%. And, admittedly, that felt optimistic.

Even Martin was braced for the fact that he might lose an entire year of eligibility, and he was willing to pay that price to be a Hawkeye.

But on Wednesday morning, the perceived long shot officially came through. The NCAA-Big Ten approval parlay hit. The golden ticket cashed. Martin is free to play for the Hawkeyes, starting Saturday against Miami of Ohio.

There doesn’t seem to be a rhyme or reason to what the NCAA approves and doesn’t, but hey — Kirk Ferentz finally got one to go his way.

If you’re in the Hawkeyes’ camp, this is news worth celebrating. A blue-chip recruit that got away has not only come home, he’s got three years of eligibility remaining.

Martin could very well be suiting up for the Hawkeyes for three years of gamedays to come — in 2019, 2020 and 2021.

In other words, this summer's biggest Iowa football story is only beginning.

Let’s start there.

What should we expect from Martin as a now-eligible redshirt sophomore?

Before we get to playing time, let’s first start with his development. The guy who Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh said was at the top of the seventh-ranked Wolverines’ depth chart coming out of the spring would have been relegated to Iowa’s scout team had his waiver been denied.

And that approach would have made sense. The Hawkeyes would have been foolish to spend precious game-week time putting Martin into the rotation with the 1s and 2s if he was ineligible to play.

But now, thanks to the approval, Martin will be taking crucial reps for the next 14 weeks plus any bowl preparations. That will be huge for his acclimation to all three receiver positions in Brian Ferentz’s offense.

For a sharp guy with Martin’s physical skill set, there's reason to believe the growth could happen very quickly.

During the Kids Day at Kinnick scrimmage on Aug. 10, he sure looked good. A dynamic back-shoulder, 22-yard catch in traffic was one of those "wow" plays you don't often see from an Iowa receiver. The kid can play some football, as we've known from his record-breaking days at Iowa City West.

He'll make an impact at Iowa. The question, given his situation's uncertainty and his recent injury, is how soon?

Let's peek ahead, shall we?

Here are the first five weeks of Iowa’s schedule:

* Miami (OH),
* Rutgers,
* Iowa State,
* bye week,
* Middle Tennessee State.

Those 30-some days will give Martin a lot of time to refine his craft and understanding of the playbook; he lost some practice time recently with an injury. The more time on the practice field and game field with Nate Stanley, the better during that first month.

And you do know how his second month on the field begins, right?

On October 5?

Iowa at Michigan.

Hawkeyes columnist Chad Leistikow has covered sports for 24 years with The Des Moines Register, USA TODAY and Iowa City Press-Citizen. Follow @ChadLeistikow on Twitter.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...in-hawkeyes-football-kirk-ferentz/2139782001/

FYI - This last post of yours was practically unreadable with all the red font scattered in there. You need to take a break from that. Literally no one else uses it, and for good reason. Peace.

If @partyhawk22 is wrong, i will find him and...

giphy.gif

anyone catch the show tonight?

Chad and Mark normally have really good insights.

Note that they were going to discuss the timeline of this whole ordeal.

And if people don't want to talk about the timeline, even though Dolph, Kirk Ferentz, Chad Leistikow and Mark Emmert (of the Des Moines Register) are, then ignore this post.

78 Day Timeline of the Oliver Martin request:

June 11 (78 days ago):

--It is reported that former Michigan wide receiver Oliver Martin has transferred to Iowa

Sometime before July 19 (40 days ago):

--On July 19 it is reported that the Martin family had hired an attorney to help with his petition.

Mon July 29 (30 days ago):

--Educated guess on when the paperwork was submitted to the NCAA based on this reporting:

--On.Aug. 9, 2019, 2:25 p.m. CT it was reported that the paperwork has been submitted "within the last two weeks."

Fri Aug 23 (5 days ago)

-- takes the NCAA 25 days to approve the petition.

Wed Aug 28

-- takes the B1G Conference another 5 days to approve the petition. Hawk fans celebrate.

Some questions:

Why did it take 48 days (between June 11 and July 29) to hire an attorney and to come up with the paperwork to submit to the NCAA?

Should the transfer process be this timely, this confusing and this costly (lawyer fees!)?

And if people don't want to talk about the timeline, even though Dolph, Kirk Ferentz, Chad Leistikow and Mark Emmert (of the Des Moines Register) are, then ignore this post.

78 Day Timeline of the Oliver Martin request:

June 11 (78 days ago):

--It is reported that former Michigan wide receiver Oliver Martin has transferred to Iowa

Sometime before July 19 (40 days ago):

--On July 19 it is reported that the Martin family had hired an attorney to help with his petition.

Mon July 29 (30 days ago):

--Educated guess on when the paperwork was submitted to the NCAA based on this reporting:

--On.Aug. 9, 2019, 2:25 p.m. CT it was reported that the paperwork has been submitted "within the last two weeks."

Fri Aug 23 (5 days ago)

-- takes the NCAA 25 days to approve the petition.

Wed Aug 28

-- takes the B1G Conference another 5 days to approve the petition. Hawk fans celebrate.

Some questions:

Why did it take 48 days (between June 11 and July 29) to hire an attorney and to come up with the paperwork to submit to the NCAA?

Should the transfer process be this timely, this confusing and this costly (lawyer fees!)?
I look at like this. Oliver, his family, the lawyer, and the team probably put as much time and effort into every little detail to give him the best chance to get approved. I’m guessing the paperwork was pretty lengthy and lots of angles were probably looked at. For families who can afford the lawyer route you would be dumb not to hire one. They know how to work the law, which can obviously be good and bad, and a good lawyer can find a loophole around everything. Think of all the times a defense attorney has helped a client either get out free or get much lesser charges when it’s clear as day they were most likely guilty. All it takes is to look at one of the criteria that is needed and attack it with hard evidence. With a lawyer involved 95% the athlete will win because if denied when a lawyer is involved the NCAA can really back themselves into a corner and be opened to very costly lawsuits. I’m not a lawyer for athletes though so I couldn’t tell you all the details as I don’t know a whole lot. Unfortunately the vast majority of athletes who transfer don’t have the luxury Oliver and a few others have in being able to hire one. Props to the Martin family and his lawyer though. Unless there is a much bigger reason to why Oliver transferred I’m guessing the lawyer put in a lot of time in this.

Reactions: ChiHawk21
Nobody had Sainristil passing Martin in the slot this spring. None. The only ones putting Sainristil to start in the spring were not comparing him to Martin. Martin practiced both slot and outside before transferring this spring.
You are a flat wrong...it was mentioned constantly....in fact below is an article the day OM decided to leave with ACTUAL PLAYER QUOTES talking about Sanistril emerging and possibly having an effect on OMs decision.

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Article/Michigan-Football-Oliver-Martin-transfer-132623880/

And oh...this is how out of touch you are...the first pass (I think first play) of the spring game was Patterson to Sanistril....you know...the starter at slot...

You are a flat wrong...it was mentioned constantly....in fact below is an article the day OM decided to leave with ACTUAL PLAYER QUOTES talking about Sanistril emerging and possibly having an effect on OMs decision.

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Article/Michigan-Football-Oliver-Martin-transfer-132623880/

And oh...this is how out of touch you are...the first pass (I think first play) of the spring game was Patterson to Sanistril....you know...the starter at slot...

Cool. Good luck this season.

Reactions: Franisdaman

Harbaugh disagrees with you.
“I was surprised Oliver transferred,” Harbaugh said. “He had a heck of a spring and was at the top of our depth chart coming out of spring ball and was doing very well in school on his way to the Ross Business School. That was a surprise.”

Or does ‘top of our depth chart’ mean ‘backup’?

Harbaugh disagrees with you.
“I was surprised Oliver transferred,” Harbaugh said. “He had a heck of a spring and was at the top of our depth chart coming out of spring ball and was doing very well in school on his way to the Ross Business School. That was a surprise.”

Or does ‘top of our depth chart’ mean ‘backup’?
Read what I said before....both were taking snaps with the ones and both were expected to play...it was not a situation where one had to get hurt or tired for the other to play...what was being reported was the other was going to get roughly 60% of the snaps as the first guy...that is consistent with the quote you posted

Read what I said before....both were taking snaps with the ones and both were expected to play...it was not a situation where one had to get hurt or tired for the other to play...what was being reported was the other was going to get roughly 60% of the snaps as the first guy...that is consistent with the quote you posted

Original post
Nobody had Sanstril....

Your post
Flat out wrong

Harbaugh
Martin was at the top

Ummm.... I missed the % of snaps... I read potential..... I read flat out wrong... keep spinning

Original post
Nobody had Sanstril....

Your post
Flat out wrong

Harbaugh
Martin was at the top

Ummm.... I missed the % of snaps... I read potential..... I read flat out wrong... keep spinning
Stay off the drugs buddy

Last edited:
This is a really good podcast discussing what the Oliver Martin news could mean for Iowa's season. Chad Leistikow & Mark Emmert of the Des Moines Register join Ross Peterson of KxNO.

Enjoy.

Direct link to the podcast: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...skeball-chad-leistikow-mark-emmert/679604002/

The related tweet:

I highly recommend listening to this podcast when you get a chance.

A summary of what the 3 of them discussed:

Chad has some very good sources who wished to remain anonymous on the Martin topic. The source informed Chad on Friday afternoon, around 2 pm, on Aug 23, that the NCAA approved the waiver. Chad described how he then had to be quiet for 5 days (the B1G had to approve the waiver as the final step, which they did on Wed Aug 28). Chad described how there was no way he was going to leak any info until the B1G had formally approved the waiver (he didn't want to lose his sources' trust & he didn't want to potentially sabotage the waiver request, which still had to be approved by the B1G).

Oliver knew the result on Friday, Aug 23 KF knew the result on Friday, Aug 23. They both remained quiet because they did not want to have ANY impact on the B1G's final decision.

the attorney hired by the Martin family worked with the Iowa Compliance office, KF had zero to do with it. Chad then stated, "it certainly helps to have an attorney."

Ross asked why the Iowa Compliance Office couldn't have used the UI law school for help; after all, this is what the Compliance office does; this is their job; Ross asked "why does the family have to spend their money on a lawyer?"

Ross then brought up the unfairness of all of this; some families can afford an attorney and many cannot.

None of this can ever be accessed with a FOIA request (Freedom of Information Act), by the way, so we will never know what was in Oliver's petition or how the NCAA responded to it.

Why it took so long to put the case together? Chad said they wanted to be sure they put together an air tight case.

Another reason for why it took 3 to 3 1/2 weeks for the NCAA to make a decision? The transfer portal is full of athletes who are transferring.

NOTE: when the NCAA had the case/paper work, they sent it to Michigan! Michigan had 7-10 days to respond to what was in the case. MICHIGAN COULD HAVE OBJECTED TO WHATEVER WAS IN THE DOCUMENTS SUBMITTED. Chad said "its kinda like checking things off; is this true? is this true?"

Also, remember that Oliver has been practicing all along, assuming HE WOULD BE PLAYING ON SATURDAY.

Ross asked how much of a better position is Iowa in with Oliver? Mark said "I think it's a very significant addition based on what the coaches have been saying; he's their most versatile receiver; he's a potential guy that could be a game breaker for this team; he can play all 3 positions....I think you have to game plan for him differently....I think this guy is a different animal"

Chad chimed in that Oliver is indeed learning all 3 WR positions, so they are throwing a lot at him. Potentially you could put him anywhere on the field.

Chad reminded us that coming out of the spring, Oliver was at the top of Michigan's depth chart.

Chad said that based on how Oliver is performing in practices, everyone (coaches, players) is very excited about him.

As far as snap counts go this weekend? Remember, he is coming off a shoulder injury.

Remember, the coaches love what they have in Brandon Smith, Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Nico Ragaini and Tyrone Tracy. Now add Oliver Martin.

Ross said the WRs room has never been great at Iowa. They now have to prove they are "that good." And then he reminded everyone that Stanley & the Iowa offensive scheme has never depended on WRs

Chad asked Mark and Ross why they think fans were so invested in the Oliver Martin transfer. Mark said it was because of 2 things; (1) he was a local kid who got away and (2) Iowa fans are starving for an elite WR and now they think they have one.

The link again to the podcast is this: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...skeball-chad-leistikow-mark-emmert/679604002/

LOL

Be careful, you’ll be attacked on here by acolytes of the chosen one if you expect better than a mediocre offense.

Straw man arguments. If the expectation is that Iowa will have a Top 10 offense, not happening nor does it need to for Iowa to be good. If the offense is efficient and complements the defense, Iowa can be very successful.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT