ADVERTISEMENT

Oliver Martin Updates: Dec 27: Will not play (Shoulder injury). Is 5th on Depth Chart.

Another cool pic:

CLICK ON IMAGE FOR LARGER VIEW

kxZah-e_

This pic came from this tweet:

Reactions: hwk23
Oliver Martin's first game as an Iowa Hawkeye:

i

Aug 31, 2019

14 Miami (OH)
38 IOWA

Iowa Receiving

REC-YDS, AVG, TD, LONG

Mekhi Sargent 4-65, 16.3, 0, 41
Nico Ragaini 1-45, 45.0, 0, 45
Ihmir Smith-Marsette 4-35, 8.8, 1-17
Shaun Beyer 3-30, 10.0, 0, 18
Brandon Smith 3-26, 8.7, 1, 12
Tyrone Tracy Jr. 1-22, 22.0, 0, 22
Oliver Martin 2-14, 7.0, 1, 9
Toren Young 1-7, 7.0, 0, 7
Brady Ross 1-4, 4.0, 0, 4
Tyler Goodson 1-4, 4.0, 0, 4

TEAM TOTALS: 21-252 yds, 12.0 avg, 3 TDs, 45 yds (long)

LINK to Box Score: https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=401112191

Last edited:
“Overwhelming energy, emotion when I caught it."

--Oliver Martin, on his 1st catch as a Hawkeye, which was a touchdown.

CLICK ON IMAGE FOR LARGER VIEW

oiHZIMMF

From HawkCentral:

Martin said he knew he was part of the game plan this week, but wasn’t sure when he’d be called on.

“I was confident in myself if I got in the game I could make a play. I was just waiting for my moment, waiting for my opportunity,” he said. “And when I went in, I did my best to take advantage of it.”

Stanley, who threw three touchdown passes, said Martin brings an extra dimension to the offense.

“The playmaking ability. You see it. He comes in and makes a big impact right away,” Stanley said. “He’s a very consistent player, very cerebral player. Especially to come in this summer and have our offense down.”

Martin said that was possible because it’s similar to the one he first learned at Michigan. The Wolverines changed their scheme this spring.

“I got to play in front of a community that I grew up in front of, and that was really special,” Martin said. “That’s part of the reason I wanted to come back.”

Martin said he hadn’t thought about scoring a touchdown in his Hawkeye debut, let alone on the first pass that came his way. But his pulse started racing a little when the play call came in and he saw the Miami defensive alignment.

“That’s what I work all the time to do is score touchdowns and catch passes, make explosive plays,” he said. “So to be able to do that on my first play was what I wanted.”

Martin’s celebration was somewhat subdued. He is not excitable by nature. His teammates seemed more amped up than he was.

Offensive tackle Tristan Wirfs was one of them. He raced to the end zone to pat Martin on the helmet.

“I was going crazy. I was excited for him,” Wirfs said.

“It’s like something out of a movie almost.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...ate-stanley-tristan-wirfs-ferentz/2185754001/

Is Dawel Lugo good?

Well I never said he'd be good, merely that he could be similar to Jose Iglesias who was basically a 1 WAR player. Injuries have hurt his development the last 2 years but he still needs a better eye at the plate. He is basically a AAAA level replacement type player at this point going forward.

You are a flat wrong...it was mentioned constantly....in fact below is an article the day OM decided to leave with ACTUAL PLAYER QUOTES talking about Sanistril emerging and possibly having an effect on OMs decision.

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Article/Michigan-Football-Oliver-Martin-transfer-132623880/

And oh...this is how out of touch you are...the first pass (I think first play) of the spring game was Patterson to Sanistril....you know...the starter at slot...
how many catches did Sainristil have last night?

Great to see OM get some looks in the first game of the year. I imagine he will continue getting more looks as the year goes on.

The U of I had three photographers covering last night's game.

Here is Oliver Martin's first catch and first touchdown as a Hawkeye in six pictures from three angles.

Go to the middle far right of the picture below and click on the arrow to see pic #2, #3, #4, #5, and #6.

Game 1 of 12

Aug 31, 2019

14 Miami (OH), (0-1)
38 IOWA (1-0)

Oliver Martin's stats from his 1st game as a Hawkeye:
2 receptions
14 yds
1 Touchdown

Oliver's 1st catch went 9 yards for a Touchdown.

His 2nd catch went 5 yds, with a lot of stiff arms.

Watch:

I believe Sainristil got what, about 4 snaps in the opener? Don't stop believing!
13th most snaps of any offensive player Includimg lineman..most snaps by a slot....but yeah...keep makimg stuff up...

And btw....congrats to Martin for being cleared

most snaps by a slot and still no catches... no touchdowns?
Nope....had a drop in the endzone though....hey man...I wasn't the one arguing that the situation at Michigan was better for Martin than the one at Iowa....that is my fellow Wolverine, whom I was reaponding too...I just stick with known facts amd try not to make them up...as my fellow wolverine did....happy for Martin....as I've said before he was spoken of as a great teammate....

Reactions: mrF6n6
I get the feeling that franistheman has built a shrine to OM at his residence.

Oliver Martin's 1st catch in game 2 as a Hawkeye occurs around the 5:30 mark of the 1st quarter.

instead of it going for a TD, it goes for ONE yard.

:)

An update from HawkCental.com

Iowa Football: Updates on Oliver Martin

by Chad Leistikow
Sep 12, 2019

On the topic of Martin, the Michigan transfer and Iowa City West product, we asked Copeland about why his snap count is in the low 30s (against an average of 76.5 for the other four) in the early going.

“That’s a really fair question,” Copeland said. “The thing that people don’t realize, when a young man comes into a program … it takes time to learn the system. I explain to people who don’t follow college football and who aren’t in our building every day, when you learn a system it’s literally like learning a new language. Different words mean different things in the playbook. Just that in of itself, it takes time. You’re not going to learn a new language overnight.”

Iowa is teaching Martin all three receiver positions, which adds to the redshirt sophomore’s learning curve. We haven't seen a ton of Martin so far, but that doesn't mean we won't see him play an increasingly important role as his season (and career) progresses.

“He’s doing a really good job. He really is. That’s why you have seen him have plays and productivity and touches with the football,” Copeland said. “The last thing you’ve got to realize is we’ve got some really good players already in the receiver room.

"And there’s only one football on each play.”

LINK: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...e-hawkeyes-kirk-ferentz-receivers/2299350001/

Last edited:
Hoping for a big hate week game from Ollie this week.
it's interesting that right now Martin is playing less than 1/2 the snaps the other 4 are. Not sure where snap counts can be found. it would be interesting to see if/how that changes over the season because it does seem that they want to be able to put him anywhere on the field. the coaches just have to be comfortable that he knows the play book. and as his snap count increases, who's count decreases (maybe all 4 players' counts do), and will they be fine with that?

Well I never said he'd be good, merely that he could be similar to Jose Iglesias who was basically a 1 WAR player. Injuries have hurt his development the last 2 years but he still needs a better eye at the plate. He is basically a AAAA level replacement type player at this point going forward.

You said it’s likely that he’d be a decent MLB infielder. It was never likely and always a long shot because his plate discipline is (and was) awful. I tried to tell you how bad his plate discipline was but you wouldn’t listen.

You told me that you would admit to being wrong about him if he didn’t turn out to be decent in a few years. That was three seasons ago and Lugo is no longer a prospect.

Too lazy to look through all the other threads, but where was he tonight?
We (and Oliver) are going to have to be very patient in terms of getting production from him. This WR corps is crowded this and next year. I think he'll make his biggest impact his senior year. That doesn't mean we won't see more big plays from him this year, but he's not the number 1 on this team right now
I'd like to see him get the same snaps as Tracy and let the chips fall where they may.
I saw Oliver in there blocking on at least one run play.
In case you missed it, this was a really good update from just 2 days ago.

From HawkCental.com

Iowa Football: Updates on Oliver Martin

by Chad Leistikow
Sep 12, 2019

On the topic of Martin, the Michigan transfer and Iowa City West product, we asked Copeland about why his snap count is in the low 30s (against an average of 76.5 for the other four) in the early going.

“That’s a really fair question,” Copeland said. “The thing that people don’t realize, when a young man comes into a program … it takes time to learn the system. I explain to people who don’t follow college football and who aren’t in our building every day, when you learn a system it’s literally like learning a new language. Different words mean different things in the playbook. Just that in of itself, it takes time. You’re not going to learn a new language overnight.”

Iowa is teaching Martin all three receiver positions, which adds to the redshirt sophomore’s learning curve. We haven't seen a ton of Martin so far, but that doesn't mean we won't see him play an increasingly important role as his season (and career) progresses.

“He’s doing a really good job. He really is. That’s why you have seen him have plays and productivity and touches with the football,” Copeland said. “The last thing you’ve got to realize is we’ve got some really good players already in the receiver room.

"And there’s only one football on each play.”

LINK to Full Story: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...e-hawkeyes-kirk-ferentz-receivers/2299350001/

Last edited:
Reactions: funnyfletcher
Did he play against ISU or was he hurt?

I don’t remember seeing him Saturday.

Is Oliver Martin injured?

Not much to show so far and everyone on the board kept suggesting he was high level talent, so he cant be at full strength.
Something that was telling for me was, and I heard this from someone I trust, "whether OM is cleared to play or not, we're gonna be just fine at WR." That's not an indictment on Oliver, rather a feather in the cap of the guys we had/have.

see the post above this one

Still learning the playbook and sat out with an injury in camp. Tough to crack the lineup when the guys in front of you know the playbook already and are good.

Kirk already has stated numerous times that he will be brought along slowly this year. Plus our top 4 guys are all good. Believe what you want to but Kirk has already set expectations. His PT will increase into the season.

He's not going to lean on a guy in a close road game when he's been in the system less than most of the freshman.

The story from HawkCentral (2 posts above) backs up your points.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT